Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Difficulty Levels Question

- Selecting Difficulty for the Games -

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Doomblade66 » Sat May 15 2010 12:24pm

Hey guys.

Just a quick question regarding the Difficulty Select for Shining Force III.


First of all, I have heard this is an Unlockable feature and that you must beat the game (Scenario) first before you can have this option available to you upon starting a New Game.

I've also heard you have to find all the hidden characters as well, to get this to happen.

So...here are my few questions:


---------
---------


1.) Do you actually HAVE to get the hidden characters in Scenario-1, for example, to then get access to the Difficulty Select for Scenario-1 ?


2.) If you beat Scenario-1 of the game, and then save the End-Game data so you can proceed onwards to Scenario-2, will you be allowed to select the Difficulty level for Scenario-2 at the beginning of that game ? (Because you have already beaten Sc-1) or are you still locked out of the Difficulty Select Option because you have not yet beat "Scenario-2" (in other words, are they Scenario-specific and not "just beat ONE of the three Scenarios, and then you have the option ???).


3.) What are ALL the Difficulty levels ? I know there is Normal (obviously) and I think there's Hard as well. I'm also familiar with Insane, which is supposedly a 50% Increase in Enemy ATTACK and DEFENSE stats. But what are the other levels you can choose, and does anyone know the %-gain in enemy stats for those modes too ?


4.) Lastly, does anything else other than enemy ATTACK and DEFENSE change when you play on the higher difficulties ? Like...do they get better Agility or more HP or MP ? Or do those stats always stay the same ?

How about enemy damage from Special Attacks - like, does a Hydra's Acid Breath do more damage to you on Insane, then it does on Normal ? Or are those Special Attack damages always fixed at a certain number ?

And, finally, what about the enemy Resistances ? In Total Biscuit's amazing Let's Play of Shining Force 3, for example, on Normal Difficulty at the end of the game, he regularly has Noon smashing enemies for 40+ damage with Freeze-2 or 3 spells...crushing them for most of their HP. Are you still able to devastate enemy HP on the higher difficulties like that, or do they gain some enhanced resistances to complement their higher base stats ?


-------------------


Thanks for any help and info you can provide !
Doomblade66

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri Apr 29 2005 4:25pm

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby BoneIdol » Sat May 15 2010 1:35pm

Doomblade66 @ Sat May 15, 2010 12:24 pm) wrote:Hey guys. 

1.)  Do you actually HAVE to get the hidden characters in Scenario-1, for example, to then get access to the Difficulty Select for Scenario-1 ? 


Nope, just gotta complete the game.

Doomblade66 @ Sat May 15, 2010 12:24 pm) wrote:2.) If you beat Scenario-1 of the game, and then save the End-Game data so you can proceed onwards to Scenario-2, will you be allowed to select the Difficulty level for Scenario-2 at the beginning of that game ? (Because you have already beaten Sc-1) or are you still locked out of the Difficulty Select Option because you have not yet beat "Scenario-2" (in other words, are they Scenario-specific and not "just beat ONE of the three Scenarios, and then you have the option ???).


I'm pretty sure you don't get to select difficulty at the start of scenario 2 in these circumstances. I wonder if the difficulty setting is saved between scenarios though? Would royally suck having to play through Scenario 2 on insane first time round.

Doomblade66 @ Sat May 15, 2010 12:24 pm) wrote:3.)  What are ALL the Difficulty levels ?  I know there is Normal (obviously) and I think there's Hard as well.  I'm also familiar with Insane, which is supposedly a 50% Increase in Enemy ATTACK and DEFENSE stats.  But what are the other levels you can choose, and does anyone know the %-gain in enemy stats for those modes too ?


Normal, Hard, Difficult and Insane. I can't say I've actually played through the game on the higher difficulty settings in a long long time, so I couldn't tell you. :(

Doomblade66 @ Sat May 15, 2010 12:24 pm) wrote:4.) Lastly, does anything else other than enemy ATTACK and DEFENSE change when you play on the higher difficulties ?  Like...do they get better Agility or more HP or MP ?  Or do those stats always stay the same ?

How about enemy damage from Special Attacks - like, does a Hydra's Acid Breath do more damage to you on Insane, then it does on Normal ?  Or are those Special Attack damages always fixed at a certain number ?


I think a few battles have a few differences, like extra enemies and certain characters not being bosses and stuff like that.

Doomblade66 @ Sat May 15, 2010 12:24 pm) wrote:And, finally, what about the enemy Resistances ?  In Total Biscuit's amazing Let's Play of Shining Force 3, for example, on Normal Difficulty at the end of the game, he regularly has Noon smashing enemies for 40+ damage with Freeze-2 or 3 spells...crushing them for most of their HP.  Are you still able to devastate enemy HP on the higher difficulties like that, or do they gain some enhanced resistances to complement their higher base stats ?


I have no idea about this. However some enterprising soul could use my save editor thing to view all enemy stats (including resistances) and compare them across difficulty settings.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sun Jun 04 2006 4:47pm
Location: Yorkshire, England

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Profound » Sat May 15 2010 2:30pm

BoneIdol @ Sat May 15, 2010 1:35 pm) wrote: I think a few battles have a few differences, like extra enemies and certain characters not being bosses and stuff like that.

Are you sure ?
It seems weird to me. I don't recall extra ennemies or different bosses depending of the difficulty level.
Profound

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Nov 07 2004 10:29pm

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Lord Kane » Sun May 16 2010 8:25am

The difficulty levels don't change any battles, monster numbers,... etc. The only stats, that are influenced, are (base) ATT and (base) DEF. Furthermore, the AI MIGHT be changed, too, but I don't have any evidence for this, so I doubt it.

Here's the list of the stat improvements:

Normal: -
Hard: +50% ATT, +25% DEF
Difficult: +25% ATT
Insane: +50% ATT, +50% DEF
Lord Kane

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Sun Mar 09 2008 10:46am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sun May 16 2010 8:56am

I have an (albeit weak) evidence that the AI undergoes some changes. In the Hazuki battle, the game freaks out each time it's the enemy's turn when you play on Insane. Could be a glitch in the AI...
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

User avatar
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 6031
Joined: Sat Oct 29 2005 9:02am
Location: France

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Doomblade66 » Sun May 16 2010 9:44am

Thanks for the info - Lord Kane - but is it possible that you have the order of those improvements reversed for Hard // Difficult ?


I was under the impression the Difficulty levels are:


Normal (the default)

Hard

Difficult

INSANE

---------

Going up in that fashion. If that's the case, and Difficult is "harder" than Hard, then wouldn't the boost be - +25% ATTACK for Hard, +50% ATTACK and DEFENSE for Difficult, and finally the +50% to ATTACK - AND - DEFENSE for Insane ?


Just double-checking. . . as the way it is written in your post seems to suggest that Difficult is "easier" than Hard, since on Difficult (based on what you wrote), the only stat that improves is ATTACK, and then only by 25% . . . perhaps a typo ? - or is that really how it is ?

---------


Also - Lord Oddeye - (did you add the Sama part recently ? - and what does it mean "Sama" ? - - - can you answer my question in the initial post asking if it's possible to access the Difficulty select feature for Scenario 2 or Scenario 3, if you have already beaten Scenario 1, and are merely transferring data onwards to continue the game with your completion data from the first game ?

In other words - you have to "beat the game" to unlock the Difficulty Select - but after "beating the game" - by beating Scenario 1, are you then free - upon starting Scenario 2 with Medion, etc - to select the difficulty for that one right at the outset ?
Doomblade66

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri Apr 29 2005 4:25pm

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sun May 16 2010 10:14am

Yeah, decided to change my username (basically I'm now known as Master Lord Oddeye. That's the rough meaning of sama from japanese).

Anyway, you need a scenario 2 cleared save in the memory in order to set the difficulty level for that game. Same with scenario 3. If you need one such save, try the SF3 translation ftp. There are definitely complete games for scenario 1 and 2 there, though I don't remember whether the scenario 3 one was ever uploaded.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

User avatar
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 6031
Joined: Sat Oct 29 2005 9:02am
Location: France

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Sinful Force » Mon May 17 2010 12:15am

Doomblade66 @ Sun May 16, 2010 12:44 am) wrote:Thanks for the info - Lord Kane - but is it possible that you have the order of those improvements reversed for Hard // Difficult ?


I was under the impression the Difficulty levels are:


Normal (the default)

Hard

Difficult

INSANE

---------

Going up in that fashion. If that's the case, and Difficult is "harder" than Hard, then wouldn't the boost be - +25% ATTACK for Hard, +50% ATTACK and DEFENSE for Difficult, and finally the +50% to ATTACK - AND - DEFENSE for Insane ?


Just double-checking. . . as the way it is written in your post seems to suggest that Difficult is "easier" than Hard, since on Difficult (based on what you wrote), the only stat that improves is ATTACK, and then only by 25% . . . perhaps a typo ? - or is that really how it is ?


No, the way Lord kane has it is correct.

The only explaination to why it's like that is because maybe there is improved AI in the Difficult setting. Though it's not proven and it's hard to prove because the AI has so much random logic behind it.

The only way to coming close to prove it 100% is with state saves and making sure the AI in 2 difficulty settings fall for the same ramdon pattern. If not, reload state save, and if still not, then you've proven a that there are different random AI patterns between the different difficulties.

However, I have also noticed that their stats in comparison to yours (with or without their difficulty setting adjusted stats. Not sure if this affects it, or that if it's just your stats alone. Though some enemies are programed to heal or retreat when low on health, bah, blah blah) affects their judgement/AI random choices they have or even narrow it down to one. Like if one of your characters can be killed in one hit by them, they'll go for (possibly everytime, unless maybe someone else can be killed in one hit and is listed higher/same priority to be targeted by AI) them everytime.

So you may have to consider you stats too when comparing AI logic, random or not, relative to your stats or not, their stats or not. Narrow down all these and/or more possabilities and gain more control of your experiment like this.

There is one pattern that I seen with Hex editing, that may suggest different AI logic. Though I need to check it again and make sure I didn't see a simularity in HP and/or DEF increase (it's been awhile. Though I thought I seen a same pattern in the last 2 difficulty settings, so that would rule out simularities in HP & DEF). If it's not, then yes, maybe that other thing may be an actual change in AI. But that's it, as in "may be" and nothing more, untill further tests, simular to the one I explained above.
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
Sinful Force

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1995
Joined: Wed Oct 21 2009 2:24am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Doomblade66 » Wed May 19 2010 1:56pm

So, it's pretty clear then that "Hard" is actually more challenging, overall, than the "Difficulty Level ahead of it" - "Difficult" - because in Hard your foes get a +50% boost to Attack, AND a +25% boost to their Defense.......but on "Difficult" they ONLY get a +25% boost to their Attack ?



Is this actually the case though, from people who have played at least on Hard and Difficult modes for a given scenario ? Or does the "supposed improved AI" make up for the massive decrease in enemy "Boost" when you compare Difficult to Hard ?


Example: If Difficult is only +25% to enemy Attacks, from normal values:

Enemy-X- Attack (Normal) 40, Defense (Normal) 20

----

Enemy-X- Attack (Difficult, +25%) 50, Defense (Difficult - no boost) 20


-----------

Enemy-X- Attack (Hard, +50%) 60, Defense (Hard - +25% boost) 25


-----------------------



How is it possible that the "sample Difficult-mode enemy" is going to be tougher in any fashion than the Hard mode one, when as the above example shows, the Hard mode one would have significantly better stats ?


* * * BUMP * * *

-------------------
-------------------




An observation I've had on Difficulty, after thinking about it a few times and watching playthroughs by Robobaggins (YouTube name of one of our members here on the site) and Total Biscuit (the legend who needs no further introduction) .....is that the difficulty, "in general", in Shining Force III was poorly balanced in the "default // Normal" mode for the game.

I don't know if others will agree or not, but in all the playthroughs I watch, even in Robobaggins' where he promoted his guys at Level 10-11 to specifically prevent them from being "uber" in the end game (so there remains a bit of challenge), he's still steamrolling everyone and everything in his path, thus far (Spiriel battle) - with Imperial Knights only dealing 4-5 damage to Noon, his weakest Defense character !

Basically...just looking at enemy stats seems to confirm this. The designers just gave them far too little Attack to be able to overcome the high Defenses your Force members are easily able to achieve.

This seems to suggest that the only way to actually have a semi-challenging playthrough, particularly for players who know the game // enemy patterns // have played through several times before - is to play on Difficult or Hard mode....probably Hard, so the foes get the higher Attack-% boost as well as a fairly sizeable Defense boost, so you aren't 1-shotting them with special attacks, as is mostly the case in these playthroughs I watch.


Also - consider magic...I don't know what formula Shining Force III chose to use, but I always enjoyed the Shining Force-1 and 2 magic damage formula of "X-spell, when cast, will deal around 10-15 damage" - something like that. Regardless of who is casting it or what level they are.

Instead, in this SF-III game, you have Noon casting his basic Freeze level ONE spell and hammering an Imperial Knight for 19-damage ! - More than half it's health.

And it only gets worse later in the game - where I've observed a Level-10 Wizard Masquirin cast Spark-2 and hammer enemies for nearly 30-damage (28, 25, 29) with relative ease. This is nearly Spark/Bolt-3 damage going by the earlier games.


So the simplicity with which the Force is able to decimate enemies, physically, on Normal playthrough.....PLUS the massive boost they gave to all magic spells, even Level-1 versions.....seems to me to make SF-III quite low on the Challenge Scale (at least going off of Scenario-1, which is all I've been able to view so far).


Thoughts ?
Doomblade66

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri Apr 29 2005 4:25pm

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby -_-lll » Fri Oct 08 2010 2:14am

I am completed the 3 scenario and I was trying to start the game on scenario 1 on more difficult setting... how come I never get that option to do so!?
-_-lll

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jul 27 2010 12:22am

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Sinful Force » Fri Oct 08 2010 2:39am

You have to have a complete Scenario 1 game save file to be able to get the hidden difficulty level in Scenario 1. Same thing goes for Scenario 2 & 3.

If your playing on an emulator and need a complete save file because you didn't save yours, I can send you one.


Just remeber, that if you beat Scenario 1/2 on a harder difficulty level, it will be permanetly on that difficulty level for the other Scenario(s). To still have the option to change difficulty levels for other Scenarios, just be sure to change the diffculty to normal before the final blow to the last boss. This way if you ever want to change between difficulty levels in other Scenarios, now you will still be able too.
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
Sinful Force

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1995
Joined: Wed Oct 21 2009 2:24am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Irene Guy » Fri Oct 08 2010 3:03am

Bone Idol was kind to send me codes to alter difficulty levels without complete savegames...

CODE
3602F413 00XX

Replace the XX with the difficulty you want:

00 = normal, 10 = Hard, 20 = Difficult, 30 = Insane

Just begin the game WITHOUT the code, save it, then load it with the code activated on the difficulty you want, save it again, deactivate the code and start the game.

:thumbsup:
Irene Guy

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Oct 16 2006 4:48pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Zzasikar » Fri Oct 08 2010 3:21am

Irene Guy @ Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:03 pm) wrote: Bone Idol was kind to send me codes to alter difficulty levels without complete savegames...

CODE
3602F413 00XX

Replace the XX with the difficulty you want:

00 = normal, 10 = Hard, 20 = Difficult, 30 = Insane

Just begin the game WITHOUT the code, save it, then load it with the code activated on the difficulty you want, save it again, deactivate the code and start the game.

:thumbsup:

Thank you so much for posting this. I really wanted to play through the games on Insane but my Saturn's long dead and I haven't played them on an emulator before.
Zzasikar

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Jun 24 2010 6:56am
Location: Truro, Cornwall, UK

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby -_-lll » Fri Oct 08 2010 4:07am

Sinful Force @ Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:39 pm) wrote: You have to have a complete Scenario 1 game save file to be able to get the hidden difficulty level in Scenario 1. Same thing goes for Scenario 2 & 3.

If your playing on an emulator and need a complete save file because you didn't save yours, I can send you one.


Just remeber, that if you beat Scenario 1/2 on a harder difficulty level, it will be permanetly on that difficulty level for the other Scenario(s). To still have the option to change difficulty levels for other Scenarios, just be sure to change the diffculty to normal before the final blow to the last boss. This way if you ever want to change between difficulty levels in other Scenarios, now you will still be able too.

Oh wait where will I get the option to change the difficulty level? During battles? or Anytime during the game I can change it? I always get the impression that the option is available to me only at the beginning aka when I am choosing the name for Jumesyn.

An what will happen when I toggle the difficulty during the battle? Will strength of the enemy changes?
-_-lll

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jul 27 2010 12:22am

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Sinful Force » Fri Oct 08 2010 4:19am

You change the difficulty during any battle or any town. But you have to use a return and come back to same battle for it to take affect if you change it during battle. So change it in town beofre you enter battle

The difficulty selection option is hidden in the Configuration screen during battle. Just make sure your not highlighing any character by pressing the cancel button (B) and press start. It should be at the very bottom if you have a complete Scenario 1/2/3 file that matches that Scenario.


Plus, if you press down once more when hilighing the difficulty level option, you'll access a hidden sound test screen. Now you can listen to whatever tune in the game when ever you want & where ever (ie. during town explorations & battles. Whatever tune you select and play, will play instead for the remainder of that battle/town. Pretty cool).
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
Sinful Force

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1995
Joined: Wed Oct 21 2009 2:24am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby -_-lll » Fri Oct 08 2010 5:38am

Oh wow thanz but ghee i just got whacked by the 5 masked monks on insane -.-... ok I was playing a fool. Do i get other bonus other than a more challenging game? Perhaps I still gain 10 exp for killing a masked monk at level 6? Normally my characters are at level 5 at the end of first battle =P
-_-lll

Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jul 27 2010 12:22am

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Sinful Force » Fri Oct 08 2010 10:42am

No bonuses what so ever. In fact, it's hardest on Insane to level up your weapons. Because it's based on how much damage you do, and you do very little damage on Insane difficutly.

Personaly, I'd start with either either "Difficult" or "Hard" difficulty first. Then after you beat the game try "Insane" or to next hardest. I went to every single one in order and it was very worth the extra replay I got out of it. Plus I didn't go up in difficulty until I got comfortable with each one first (meaning more than one playthrough. But I also don't play with returns/powerleveling and no deaths), and I'm still not that comfotable with the last difficulty.


The order of the difficulty levels is out of order in the game's menu. It's supposed to be Normal, Hard, Difficult, and Insane (Hard & Difficult are swapped). And all the difficuly levels do is increase base enemy stats (meaning not including their equiped weapon. So monsters get the biggest stat ups since they don't have weapons).


So yeah, be sure to play all Scenarios a difficulty at a time to get maximum replay and save yourself a headache. No need to prove your an excellent player or anything, since it's never cool & nobody likes people that brag/show off. Just have fun and maximize the replay of this great classic, by taking it easy to master it. Once you master it you'll never want to play it that much, if ever.

There is another topic dicussing the diffulty levels better. But I need to go sleep now. If you can't find it, I'll find it for you when I wake up.
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
Sinful Force

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1995
Joined: Wed Oct 21 2009 2:24am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Corsair » Fri Oct 08 2010 5:08pm

So yeah, be sure to play all Scenarios a difficulty at a time to get maximum replay and save yourself a headache. No need to prove your an excellent player or anything, since it's never cool & nobody likes people that brag/show off. Just have fun and maximize the replay of this great classic, by taking it easy to master it. Once you master it you'll never want to play it that much, if ever.


Not many people who like a steep increase in difficulty use this sort of reasoning.

Maybe some people just like a good hearty challenge? No need to assume all these ulterior motives. If you like a more gradual incline, that's great. But as they say, different strokes for different folks. Just because someone doesn't do it "your" way, doesn't mean they're a pretentious bastard.
SFC Community project: Legacies of Veridocia Pre-Alpha Demo Released!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25848
Chaos Wizard wrote:Winger ruined my life.



https://www.dropbox.com/sh/38bt1mjiwbz4yli/rxaWAxbedo - My Community Project Dropbox.

PSN/XBL: Murderdozer
SFC Community project: Legacies of Veridocia Pre-Alpha Demo Released!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25848
Chaos Wizard wrote:Winger ruined my life.



https://www.dropbox.com/sh/38bt1mjiwbz4yli/rxaWAxbedo - My Community Project Dropbox.

PSN/XBL: Murderdozer
Corsair

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 7147
Joined: Mon Apr 21 2008 2:52am

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Sinful Force » Fri Oct 08 2010 8:27pm

Yeah, I get your point. I think I mostly said it just to make sure it's not for that reason, as alot of people do like to brag, as i see it all the time. (Heck, it even happens to me, whether it's subconcience or not. It's a human error that affects all. No need to be ashamed, just one of those human flaws to be aware of)

And it's true some people just prefer ultimate challange right off the bat, like the Nintendo hard generation or whatever.


I just basically made a suggestion. Well, what I think is a great suggestion. To assume that everybody has my prefference is wrong. Especially as I mostly find out everybody doesn't (like how not many people love SF3 as much as me. Which would make senese for these people to master it as quickly as possible and forget about it, I guess?). But since I had such a great time playing a certain way. I kinda feel guilty not sharing what could work great for somebody else too that may not be aware of it. Even if it's less than 1% of the people reading that one post in regards to this.


But yeah, I can also see how you would assume I could of been a d;ck about it.
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
Sinful Force

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1995
Joined: Wed Oct 21 2009 2:24am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Difficulty Levels Question

Postby Corsair » Fri Oct 08 2010 8:36pm

Nah, I'm not really thinking you're being a dick, and I can sorta see how one might get the impression that a lot of players see challenge more as a social device/for bragging rights than for the actual enjoyment of it. Because some actually do, and they are pretentious assholes.

But not everyone does. However, I agree that it's not necessarily a good idea to recommend jumping headfirst into the INSANE difficulty to anyone, unless they were already pretty familiar with the ins-and-outs of the inner mechanics of the game, (Skill effects and chances, general growth, which characters are more effective in certain instances than others, land effects, building friendships and taking advantage of the subsequent effects, and so on) and generally pretty good at strategy to begin with. I thought I was ready for it but it really is a big jump, going from plowing through everyone in 1-2 hits, to making every enemy a minor force to be reckoned with, and some bosses are just downright mean.

Unlike shining force II where I -could- suggest that anyone go straight to SUPER after playing through the original game because it's not really -that- much more difficult than the normal game (and though I've never played on the others, by most accounts they're basically throwaway difficulty settings.) but it is difficult enough to make things more interesting, makes some characters really stand out and others fall behind. (in the normal game just about any character is a viable option, on super some don't retain usefulness, or only possess it in a very limited fashion.)

I will admit to going straight to insane as soon as I noticed I could, but I was also at the time under the impression that the difficulty levels were more like those of shining force II with nearly negligible differences between them, and got rocked pretty hard at first, but eventually I got used to playing differently. Now it seems rather pointless to go back, even though it's still pretty rough sometimes.

I will also admit to never having played through scn.2 or scn.3. I want to wait 'til the patches are finished, so as to spoil as little as possible.
SFC Community project: Legacies of Veridocia Pre-Alpha Demo Released!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25848
Chaos Wizard wrote:Winger ruined my life.



https://www.dropbox.com/sh/38bt1mjiwbz4yli/rxaWAxbedo - My Community Project Dropbox.

PSN/XBL: Murderdozer
SFC Community project: Legacies of Veridocia Pre-Alpha Demo Released!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25848
Chaos Wizard wrote:Winger ruined my life.



https://www.dropbox.com/sh/38bt1mjiwbz4yli/rxaWAxbedo - My Community Project Dropbox.

PSN/XBL: Murderdozer
Corsair

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 7147
Joined: Mon Apr 21 2008 2:52am

Next

Return to Shining Force III

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest