Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

What do you think about the music?

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

What do you think about the music?

Postby letuandk » Wed Jan 10 2018 12:28pm

I had quite a disapointment when I first played SF3. The music, imo, is horrible! Probably the worst OST for a Shining Force game. The music aren't memorable, have bad arrangement and are way too repetitive. Take 'Symbios Attack' to get what I really mean, and you gotta hear that a lot. SF2 and SF1 OSTs just are waaay better.

I have only played Scenario 1 until now, but I doubt the other scenarios are better in this matter. What do you guys think?
letuandk

Re: What do you think about the music?

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Jan 10 2018 1:27pm

I think you and I have very different taste in video game music...
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Wed Jan 10 2018 3:43pm

I think the battle music is awesome, I playing it now in my head and all I am screaming is TA!!!! Lol. It definitely gets me more pumped up about the battle scene than the other shining games.

How are you playing it? The issue may be the emulator you are using, I only play my Saturn on hardware.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Kalkano » Wed Jan 10 2018 5:15pm

^ Yeah, SSF in particular butchers the soundtrack.

The soundtrack itself I find really good. I wouldn't put it up with the best of all time, but somewhere just below that group.
Currently playing for the first time: Trails of Cold Steel 1
Currently re-playing: Nothing

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Currently playing for the first time: Trails of Cold Steel 1
Currently re-playing: Nothing

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Doh042 » Wed Jan 10 2018 5:54pm

I'm usually a fan of the music in Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile and a number of other games with Sakuraba's music.

But SF3, I felt didn't manage to capture the style of the first two games, except for a few songs. For example, Julian's combat track (The Mercenary Soldier, iirc?), always made me very happy when he was around during chapter 1.

I do listen to the soundtrack often enough while working on my project, so I don't think it's a bad soundtrack, I just don't associate Sakuraba's style with the Shining Force franchise, even though he made many other Camelot Software games' music.

I much prefer the works from Masahiko Yoshimura for SF.
... enjoy!

-Doh
... enjoy!

-Doh
Doh042

Postby DiegoMM » Fri Jan 12 2018 12:35am

Im great fan of the sf3 music, for me is one of the best soundtrack, I think it capture the feeling of a new age of shining force, that was what camelot were trying to bring.
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Heldane » Sat Feb 03 2018 1:41pm

I find the soundtrack really awesome actually. I’m a little biased because sf3 is my favorite shining game, but from sc1 for instance, I find the opening theme really good.
Heldane

Postby Pappets » Sat Feb 03 2018 2:20pm

I like the musics of shining force 3, specially those when we are in the field before and after the battles. It really gives the feeling to the player of great adventures and battles liying ahead, specially in scenario 1 when we have Synbios battalion with King Benetram trying to escape from the Empire to the Republic after the failure of the peace conference in Saraband. It's my favorite part in the whole SF3 story. But i also agree that these musics are quite different when i compare them to those of STHA. It seems like it's not the same author.
Last edited by Pappets on Sat Feb 03 2018 10:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Neutral » Sat Feb 03 2018 4:52pm

I loved phantasy star 4 and star ocean 3 soundtracks, they reminded me of sf3... Same composer maybe
Neutral

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri Feb 09 2018 5:15am

I'm rather indifferent about the game's music overall. Had some good tracks, with some that were uninteresting. However, what I did find cool is how there's so many battle themes for when characters attack. It was neat hearing different tunes play based on factions, and it helped keep the combat music from becoming too repetitive at times.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Heldane » Mon Feb 12 2018 10:13pm

Pappets wrote:I like the musics of shining force 3, specially those when we are in the field before and after the battles. It really gives the feeling to the player of great adventures and battles liying ahead, specially in scenario 1 when we have Synbios battalion with King Benetram trying to escape from the Empire to the Republic after the failure of the peace conference in Saraband. It's my favorite part in the whole SF3 story. But i also agree that these musics are quite different when i compare them to those of STHA. It seems like it's not the same author.

I feel that STHA has a darker mood than SF3, overall. But, I found the boss battle music from STHA pretty similar to the one that plays when a promoted character from Medion's army performs an attack. Check it out:

SF3 - Hero of the Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=331C-rZMU2I

Boss Battle - Shining the Holy Ark Music Extended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fCVKeisMmw&t=10s
Heldane

Postby Pappets » Tue Feb 13 2018 11:54am

Heldane wrote:
Pappets wrote:I like the musics of shining force 3, specially those when we are in the field before and after the battles. It really gives the feeling to the player of great adventures and battles liying ahead, specially in scenario 1 when we have Synbios battalion with King Benetram trying to escape from the Empire to the Republic after the failure of the peace conference in Saraband. It's my favorite part in the whole SF3 story. But i also agree that these musics are quite different when i compare them to those of STHA. It seems like it's not the same author.

I feel that STHA has a darker mood than SF3, overall. But, I found the boss battle music from STHA pretty similar to the one that plays when a promoted character from Medion's army performs an attack. Check it out:

SF3 - Hero of the Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=331C-rZMU2I

Boss Battle - Shining the Holy Ark Music Extended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fCVKeisMmw&t=10s

It resembles because of the instruments and sounds used.
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force III