Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 2: A New Adventure!

I am very proud of this.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Shining Force 2: A New Adventure!

Postby Obob » Mon Jul 05 2010 3:41am

Yeah, you're definitely on Super.
Obob

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Colonel M » Mon Jul 05 2010 3:51am

Lesser Demons have roughly the same Atk as Willard, to compare. Willard has 77 to the Lesser Demon's 75-77 (can't really recall off the top of my head). Still, gotta find it sort of funny that you made it this far, so at least the game is possible to beat on Super (but I beat it's a pain to play every battle :damnit:).
Thou Shalt Not Replace Me!

Shining Force II Log (No Egress, No Deaths, Super Mode

Youtube Videos (Up To Battle 7)
Dumbest Quote Ever Seen:
I think you are the only person I know who uses Pegasus Knights like Archers. Everyone else seems to use Knights as frontline fighters with a ranged option.

What can I say? I'm a bored man.
Thou Shalt Not Replace Me!

Shining Force II Log (No Egress, No Deaths, Super Mode

Youtube Videos (Up To Battle 7)
Dumbest Quote Ever Seen:
I think you are the only person I know who uses Pegasus Knights like Archers. Everyone else seems to use Knights as frontline fighters with a ranged option.

What can I say? I'm a bored man.
Colonel M

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Obob » Mon Jul 05 2010 4:40am

Lesser demons should have 68 attack normally, but 84 on super.
Obob

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Kcid » Mon Jul 05 2010 4:44am

Well so far the only big issue was the harpy battle...I had to fudge with save states to beat it...though I think it's doable if the force is in better shape than mine. Other than that it hasn't been impossible. I beat chess in my first try, anyways. I have a feeling it may be too hard to beat without some egress-leveling, but so far I haven't done any.
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Osnappar » Tue Jul 13 2010 6:13pm

Thank you Dark Claw, this hack was a lot of fun. I originally wanted to post after the Harpy battle for obvious reasons but had to register first.

I've had a few battles with only two survivors, I think the first was the harpy battle with Bowie and Sarah. More recently it was the Odd Eye battle with Bowie and Kiwi. I was playing this battle late and night and screwed up bad early on trying to snipe with my fliers and ended up getting most of them killed. The fight against Odd Eye himself was a battle of attrition as I tried to burn down his support and succeeded with only 4 left. I can't remember the fourth but he died pretty early leaving me Sarah, Kiwi, and Bowie.

Sarah was tank/healer four a couple turns before falling leaving me alternating attacking and escaping to heal with Bowie/Kiwi. I used all my healing and angel drops then used the holy sword until it broke then again so I lost it. I thought there was no way to win but Kiwi then survived 2 attacks with 1 hp left and an attack from him and Bowie (who was also in the one shot range with ~33hp) barely finished him off.
Osnappar

Postby Dark Claw » Wed Jul 14 2010 12:49am

I'm glad to see you had fun with it. The end battles are tough and if I remember Oddeye is one of the toughest.
Shining Tactics

Check it out you won't be disappointed.

:mwahaha:
Shining Tactics

Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Osnappar » Thu Jul 15 2010 8:14pm

Yeah, the hack was a blast. It started out a little easy because of the increased stats but picked up pretty quickly around early mid.

I really like what you did with Sages, they seemed pretty overpowered at the middle of the game when the difficulty really picks up with high enemy defense but as the game progressed their rings became more utility than pure domination. I really liked the variety they offered with differing offensive spells and then the sacred ring (and the last ring was nice too) really helped pick up my healing slack since I had no heal or aura lvl 4.

I was also surprised by how many fliers I ended up with. At first I regretted making Rick a pegasus knight but he really started to shine later on. Luke was an absolute power house, Screech was a bit of a disappointment not because he was bad but by the time you get him Luke is just unstoppable. Peter after promotion was at least as beastly as in the normal game plus Katon. Kiwi was a hover tank and the scaling breath was nice although it didn't seem to trigger as much as in a the normal game (maybe it was just my luck?). I even ended up using Jaro.

The end battles were a lot of fun, I was a bit surprised by what I found in the last two especially. After SirHedge's findings, I played through the Galam battle and only lost a couple on my force, then Zeon proceeded to tear me a new one.

WARNING: SPOILER!
Osnappar

Postby SirHedge » Fri Jul 16 2010 12:57am

If anyone has a save before the Zeon battle I'd be happy to record an attempt on beating him and show why I thought he was too easy. I could also do it again with a random semi-normal save, but I know that there's always a possibility that the difference in stats between the original and this one make the difference.

EDIT: Glad to see people playing this.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Osnappar » Fri Jul 16 2010 4:32am

Here's a link to my .srm at the start of the Zeon battle. Just rename it to whatever your rom is called.

Here

As you can see I don't have much in the way of AoE heals or even full heals for that matter. It's definitely not the best force but it was fun! The funny thing is on my successful Zeon fight I lost Sarah in the first turn due to a double attack... still not sure how I beat that one.
Osnappar

Postby SirHedge » Fri Jul 16 2010 6:50am

Thanks.

Here's the link to the movie.

SF2 A New Adventure Zeon Kill

It starts right before I begin fighting Zeon. Originally I wasn't planning on recording it at all, but when I got to that point I thought "what the heck" and went for it. The rest of the battle wasn't very exciting. I lost three characters against the first attack of enemies (the two griffins, the Arch Demon, the Demon Master, and the Horseman). After that the only other unit I lost was the sacrifice I fed to Zeon.

One thing I noticed immediately on the save was that the force I "practiced" with was actually stronger. Despite the better stat progression in this hack compared to the actual game, the save I was using had everyone level 28 or higher and clearly not everyone was promoted strictly at level 20. So this was more difficult.

Anyway, the basic premise is that Zeon activates a little like the Kraken Head does. So if you sack a unit in that death zone Zeon will come running. Then all you need to do is wait for him to reach you and beat him down.

The only problem is the Blue Shaman since he'll use the Healing Rain if Zeon falls below 250 HP. So you need to wait until the Shaman moves and then finish off Zeon (which you'll see me do in the replay).

There's also a bit of luck involved since in one attempt I made at this two of the Demon Masters attacked with Zeon. If you want to watch me humiliate myself with poor planning, playing, and bad luck, along with watching the Blue Shaman use two healing rains on Zeon before I give up and quit, this video is for you. It's with the "power save" I used previously (as in, not from this hack).
Humiliation
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Osnappar » Fri Jul 16 2010 4:31pm

Cool, gonna give it a watch. I did try to lure out Zeon one time but forgot about the healing rains. First time I've ever seen something get healed for 438 hp.
Osnappar

Postby Dark Claw » Sun Jul 18 2010 4:17pm

After watching that video the battle looked to easy so I fixed... now all the enemies (except for the Blue Shaman and the Prism Flowers) have the same AI as Zeon. As soon as you enter the kill zone that activates Zeon every other enemy in the battle will rush towards your party. Also I mixed up the enemy formations a little bit.
Shining Tactics

Shining Tactics

Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SirHedge » Sat Jul 24 2010 2:22am

I've been gone for a week so I haven't been able to answer this sooner, but it's good to hear there won't be a cheater's way out anymore.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby kevtro » Tue Aug 03 2010 9:01am

Playing through right now, at Taros battle and about to start promoting. It's been ridiculously easy so far, but I'm not on super. But I see that everyone says the difficulty spikes right now, so I'm looking forward to that harpy battle. I despise the chess battle, one of my least favorites in the game.

Struggling with which classes to promote to now, but that's a good problem ;) Probably go Vicar for Sarah, Wizard for Kazin; it'll be nice to actually see those classes be viable for them (Kazin WIZ in original = horrible, IMHO). Luke was always one of my favorites, and I hated how bad he always eventually became in the original, so I'm glad that so far in your hack he's kicking butt.

Like the spell icons, seemingly small but great change.
kevtro

Postby Kcid » Tue Aug 03 2010 9:07am

Hey I forgot I was in the middle of a game of this...haha

I'll get back on it soon and give some updates
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Dark Claw » Mon Aug 16 2010 3:34pm

Well after a few months this has fallen to the 2nd page. I am glad this got some attention while it lasted.
Shining Tactics

Shining Tactics

Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby OmegaBuster » Thu Aug 08 2013 7:14pm

For some reason, I can't download the hack. :( This actually makes me sad. It seems so cool. And I think I might be lame, but I ignore the spoilers because I don't want to know surprises.
OmegaBuster

Postby SirHedge » Thu Aug 15 2013 3:43am

I think megaupload died as a service due to it's efforts to share pirated games/movies/images. I'm not 100% certain I have the latest patch for this game, but it's at least a complete version:

Download A New Adventure
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Shining Hopeful » Fri Aug 16 2013 3:25pm

Not very far in but I'm enjoying the hack so far. Like the brighter costumes, Shining in Technicolour really makes the fight cut scenes stand out even more.

I've already missed the Chirrup Sandals and left Granseal (and I can't remember if there is another opportunity to get them).

Haven't built the new town yet, so the difficulty spike is a few battles away. I'm playing on Normal, so I hope it doesn't get stupid. My biggest beef with hacks is usually the over-emphasis on making it tough, when really characters looking different and items/spells doing different things or having different availability is enough to make a hack stand out, and be worth playing.

But so far, so good.
Shining Hopeful

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Earl » Sat Aug 17 2013 8:45am

You should be able to get them when you go back to Galam...
Which is near the end of the game, but better than never.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II