Shining Force II Hacking: The All Stars Mod [Revived!]

Shall I recall the soul? Only 200G!

A place for Shining Force 2 hack discussion, editing tools, new hacks etc.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

zexxar
Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Re: All-Stars

Post by zexxar »

I also wouldn't mind getting an alpha version.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!
samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
RedShine
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by RedShine »

I'm very interested in playing this, keep up the good work, Noma.
Noma
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Noma »

Give me a few days to work out a few major kinks then anyone who wants an alpha version, PM me your requested team. If you need a current team list, just ask.
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Kioki

Post by Kioki »

So do I, I would be happy to help by testing it :)
For the remake of shining force 2!
bleu7384

Post by bleu7384 »

I would be happy to test it as well
Noma
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Noma »

As I said. PM me the team you want to use if you're interested in alpha testing. Im still tweaking things a bit, but the people that gave me their teams already will have the patch in a couple days.

EDIT: Just letting those that PMed me know I received the messages, so even if I didn't reply, I am making your patch for you. It will be another few days as work has been rough and I had some family things to do during the holiday weekend. I will have working mods for everyone hopefully before the end of the week. Thanks guys!
Kioki

Post by Kioki »

So Noma? How is it going :) ?
I just can't wait to test it ;) .

Keep up the good work!
Noma
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Noma »

Sorry all, been stretched thin by work. Ill get it finished asap, just havent had the time. Mostly because my second job tends to wait til the last minute to tell me I have to work all day. :damnit: Then I get home and am too tired to do much of anything.

Having two jobs leaves me very little time, but things should slow down as summer approaches.
MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

Your first post is super out of date... can you edit it with the final character list and any other major changes?
RastaOddeye
Zeons Third General
Shining Legend

Post by RastaOddeye »

Looking forward to testing, saying that I've been looking forward to it for the best part of 2 years now.
I'm arrogant, and proud of it.
Noma
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Noma »

MXC wrote:Your first post is super out of date... can you edit it with the final character list and any other major changes?
Will do next chance I get.
Kioki

Post by Kioki »

Hey Noma.

Is your job smoother or you are still overload?
We are still anxius about this project.

Good luck again!
MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

Noma wrote:
MXC wrote:Your first post is super out of date... can you edit it with the final character list and any other major changes?
Will do next chance I get.
Noma
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Noma »

Anyone still have interest in this that is actually still around? I took a break from in and its a bit daunting to get back into and remember whats what and whats where and how to do everything but I'm forcing myself to at least release something that works, even if its buggy as shit. Hopefully it'll give me the drive to complete it fully. And if not, someone can maybe mess with it til it works properly. The bulk of the work is done, really, so it's a shame for it to never see the light if day.
bleu7384

Post by bleu7384 »

Hi Noma
if there was some sort off copy going I would be more than happy to test it.
I modded my own personal copy a few years ago so I know how time consuming it is.
I did not alter the battles too much but I changed all the monsters stats, battle sprites and field sprites which was satisfying at the time but I wouldn't want to do it again in a hurry but it would be nice to see what you put in place.
All the best
Noma
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Noma »

So I just went back and reread this entire topic to refresh myself. I can't believe I started this like 5/6 years ago, time really does fly. As I said, looking back into the mod is a really daunting task when you've not looked into it for literally a few years. It doesn't help that all the files are on a now defunked laptop (the hard drive is fine but I'd have to get some kind of adapter so I could plug it into a usb and put it on a working pc.). I had them backed up on a usb long ago that disappeared somewhere in my house. I have a mod copy (one with just the characters I was using for a test run with working battle animations, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even the most recent base version of the patch) that I used for streaming on a working computer but not the necessary files that contain information on character stats, which battle animations best fit where since some have to be moved around for custom parties, and other important odds and ends that are kind of a must to get back into editing anything. A lot of the changes I made are not obvious at a glance into SF2 Editor and were written in a text file because I wouldn't remember it otherwise (especially if I happened to take a break for like 3 years ;) :shifty: ).

In any case, consider my interest in this very rekindled. No promises, of course. Would you believe them if I made them? I wouldn't! ;) I will most definitely retrieve the afore mentioned necessaries from my laptop and onto a working pc. I'm going to do a quick search for and buy an adapter for the hard drive right after I finish this post. I'll also update my first post with the most recent info on definite characters as well as definite 'alternates' we discussed for the future.

In the mean time, if anyone is still interested in this and would like to continue discussions on the addition of more alternate characters (I think we only decided on like 5 or 6 out of 10 that I said I'd do), please feel free. The so called 'definite alternates' are also never necessarily 'definite' or set in stone in any way, they were just ones suggested everyone seemed to like the idea of initially. Once we get down to all 10 characters some people might decide they prefer one character more than an earlier one that many agreed on so nothing is untouchable/unchangable. Keep that in mind when you read my first post (once edited) in regards to those characters.

Hopefully I can reignite interest in this with anyone still active enough to care. It has been quite some time and I have no idea if those who had initial interest are even still active members anymore. But if new people are around and find this interesting feel free to join in.
edujuste

Re: The All Stars Mod [Revived!]

Post by edujuste »

First timer in the forum. just finished the 12 man marathon(loved it) and i am really interested in the All-Stars hacks!
Since i was a kid i dream of having all the greatest chars in one game!!!!!
Noma
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Noma »

I haven't done a whole lot since I started looking into the hack again, but I have tweaked a lot of stuff after going back to an earlier build because of a few issues I must have overlooked last time I messed with the rom files. My main focus right now is getting an alternate promo class to work for a class that normally doesnt have one. It's not working as intended, and I know one way I get circumvent the problem, it's just a matter of taking the time to do it because it's a bit tedious.

Other than that, not much to say at the moment. In the summer time I should get more in depth into things and have more updates available more frequently.
Kioki

Post by Kioki »

Im happy that you continue the project!

Still the same desire to play that I had few year ago!

Keep on the good work :)
Noma
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Noma »

I have edited a few things to my liking, enough to be able to playthrough at least some of the way (if not the entire way, if I end up satisfied with the stat outcomes I've set up). I'm going to do that over the next few days in order to gather screenshots and video for preview purposes for you guys to look at. Hopefully that will interest some people enough to rejoin the discussion about the alternate characters that still need to be decided on.

EDIT: Anyone that is still interested in a graphically incomplete version, please PM me or post here. Kioki, I have an old PM from you that lists a party. If you are still interested and also still want this party, let me know here or in a PM. You listed:

Anri
Arthur
Earnest
Zylo

Karna
Kazin
Slade

Nick
Claude
Cray

Oddeye
Ruburan

If you wanna make changes to this, let me know. Anyone else, PM me or post.

Let me tell you ahead of time what I'd like from you if you plan on doing alpha testing. The only real reason I'm not calling this a beta is because the graphics are broken. Other than that, things are done. So, like a beta, I'm looking for broken things that DO NOT include:

Graphical bugs for part members, including but not limited to: Color Palette problems, weapons not aligned with battle animations, incorrect character battle sprites, incorrect character overworld sprites.

I do expect you to report back to me on character stat problems. I will make a detailed list on what this will and wont include once people volunteer and tell me what party they want. Basically, I will give you all specific expectations on each individual character and their relation to the other character's in your party and their stats in comparison, etc. Please, if possible, take notes on things like how OP or underpowered some characters are compared to others. If you find yourself really struggling to keep a character up with the rest of the party, if they are at the same or higher levels than others and their stats are really lacking, if you expect a certain character to have certain stats based on their class and how they may have been in their original games, etc., let me know. Also, it's really helpful if you take level to level stat increase notes for every character, but I know this is kind of asking a lot. So if you could do something like every other level, or every 3 levels, take notes on total stat increases/total stat overall, etc., notes, that would be fantastic.

Anyone, let me know who is still interested and the party you have in mind. If possible, I'd like people to have most of the different characters represented throughout the group of testers, meaning I may or may not ask if you can swap a character or two. If, for instance, I get 4 testers and every one of you pick Oddeye, Max, and Natasha, I may as one or two of you to pick different characters besides those so that I don't get feedback from 4 people on the same characters. I have also uploaded a few early game screens, so enjoy! I'll be putting up more later as I proceed through with my party.

Also, don't forget!! I'm still looking to discuss the rest of the alternate character list! There are only 5 or so characters (check first post) out of the possible 10 or so I want to have as alternates, so suggestions and discussion is necessary, or else I'm just going to end up going with what I think is best.