Shining Force III: Well... Oops!

Total Scenario 2 botch

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Well... Oops!

Post by Pappets »

You can't have both Garosh and Jade. Only one of them.
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
It seems that little by little the innovators are coming back to Sega.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

I know, but what I'm saying is that I don't know if by missing Garosh, Jade joins automatically, or is still a secret character with some other requirement besides just Garosh's absence.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Pappets »

I know the answer but i'm not going to tell you. :excited: Go check it for yourself. It's funnier that way.
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

I will someday. Since my next play through (which probably won't be at least until the Scenario 2 patch is in the fully completed stage) will be on Insane, I plan on looking up how to recruit all the characters in advance so I don't miss any again.

MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

DomingoRules! wrote:Do you mean the groaning voice in the inn when you walk into one of the rooms? I figured that had to do with a secret character either in the current, or a later scenario, but I just couldn't figure out what to do with it. Then again, that may have been because of my last play through a long time ago. I believe when I very first played the game, I did figure it out, so I think I just took for granted that I would figure it out again, and therefore didn't dedicate as much time as I should have figuring it out. As such, I'm currently at the very beginning of Chapter 2 with still only four characters.
Exactly that, the solution is actually quite 2D-RPG like, but you can find it out the next time.
Pappets wrote:Before you enter Balsamo you gain a fairy powder somewhere. I think it's from an enemy commander when you finish him. How come you didn't figure how to save Waltz? Are you playing scenario 2 in japanese?

Are you still playing scenario 2? No matter where you are, i advise you to restart the game because in the penultimate battle you won't have enough characters in the reserves to make a 2nd battalion to win that battle. The 1st time i played sce2 was with the original japanese dialogs and so i didn't get Waltz and Rock. I also missed Bernard and, if i'm not mistaken, Hedoba also. I think i only had 2 characters in the reserves, being one of them David, and i couldn't win that penultimate battle. I had to replay the game.
You get a fairy powder in the treasure in the very first battle, but if I remember correctly an antidote works too.

Thanks to "your" special ability that becomes better the less characters are in the force, I also never had issues to get through this battle with only "you" and david (and a lot of pets)
DomingoRules! wrote:Funnily enough, much later on there's an HQ quote by Arthur where he mentions Waltz, and I was just like, "Waltz isn't here."

The troubles you mentioned with the penultimate battle though is definitely one reason as to exactly why the game shouldn't have so many missable characters. Even with only having a total of 14 characters, I still had missable characters to spare (those that immediately come to mind are Penko, Arthur, and Garosh).

Meaning it's very possible to not even have enough to fill a single party by the end, let alone two. Great as the game is, that to me seems like a seriously flawed design oversight.

Although in regards to Garosh, I'm not sure if Jade joins automatically if you don't have him, or if he himself is also a secret character.
Ok, such an oversight is quite rare, even in the last chapter all comments that are influenced by the absence of certain characters are accurate. What exactly was the comment?

I would not call it troubles or a flaw, I guess it is intended as the game itself helps you in this case and unlocks a unique feature of the penultimate battle: the enemies remove some their troops from one fight to another to fight the sc 3 force which always has at least 10 members. But as most "secret" characters of sc 3 are rescued in battles you intentionally have to miss them to have only 10 people in your force (and you can still recruit the 11 member in the last city).

I guess it does not spoil you when I confirm that Jade is no secret character, no matter if as enemy or as team member, the game forces you to always meet him, you just have to find out how ;)
After testing him in my last playthroughs I also can say that I prefer Jade over Garosh (especially on insane and when you have Bernard too).
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

I don't remember what Arthur said. I think it was some comment about either appreciation, or attraction towards her.

MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

DomingoRules! wrote:I don't remember what Arthur said. I think it was some comment about either appreciation, or attraction towards her.
I will try to find this out in my next playthrough.

Back to the small group size topic: If you missed Pappets at the end of Sc 2 he can also recruited from Medion in the final chapter. As Julian has Cyclops, only Synbios's army really remains with less than 12 members.

But as the Synbios army kicks major ass in a meat-and-potato-way this is no issue to crush the enemies :mwahaha:
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Pappets »

MCRT wrote:If you missed Pappets (...)
I'm here! Who do you want me to tame? I never miss, specially when i'm equipped with the love whip :excited:
MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

Pappets wrote:
I'm here! Who do you want me to tame? I never miss, specially when i'm equipped with the love whip :excited:
How about a wild Bulzome? :lol:
I just tested the love whip the first time one my last playthrough and I have to say it is actually really great :thumbsup: (as additional inventory item)
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Pappets »

MCRT wrote:
Pappets wrote:
I just tested the love whip the first time one my last playthrough and I have to say it is actually really great :thumbsup: (as additional inventory item)
Maybe the love whip might tame Bulzome :) .
The love whip has a very realistic mechanism: if you whip one of your friends they will lose some HP but they will gain attack defense and agility :excited: I think it's great!
MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

Pappets wrote:
MCRT wrote:
Pappets wrote:
Maybe the love whip might tame Bulzome :) .
The love whip has a very realistic mechanism: if you whip one of your friends they will lose some HP but they will gain attack defense and agility :excited: I think it's great!
I hope so :)

Yeah, even if this sounds strange, you can even whip yourself, but in this case you lose no HP... :confused:
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Pappets »

MCRT wrote:

Yeah, even if this sounds strange, you can even whip yourself, but in this case you lose no HP... :confused:
I'm starting to believe that those guys of camelot software planning have experienced some erotic fantasies. There is another item that is related to erotism in SF3 which is the power undies. Did such ideas for items like these just appered in their minds by chance? No way!
drunkensailor

Post by drunkensailor »

Bernard? I can't believe it. just looked it up and I don't think I've ever seen or found him in the lodge in scenario 1 and I have played through it at least 6 times
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Pappets »

drunkensailor wrote:Bernard? I can't believe it. just looked it up and I don't think I've ever seen or found him in the lodge in scenario 1 and I have played through it at least 6 times
You never saw him? :excited: I assure he's there but i'm not going to tell you where he is. :excited: Didn't you noticed that there is a room in the 2nd floor that you can't access and has no door? Don't go search on the internet for the solution, try to find him by yourself.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Pappets wrote:I'm starting to believe that those guys of camelot software planning have experienced some erotic fantasies. There is another item that is related to erotism in SF3 which is the power undies. Did such ideas for items like these just appered in their minds by chance? No way!
Well, Shining Force did come from Japan, so anything is possible when it comes to kinky weirdness. With that said, if you'll excuse me, *floats off and hides somewhere until you're done looking for monsters to tame*

drunkensailor

Post by drunkensailor »

Pappets wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:Bernard? I can't believe it. just looked it up and I don't think I've ever seen or found him in the lodge in scenario 1 and I have played through it at least 6 times
You never saw him? :excited: I assure he's there but i'm not going to tell you where he is. :excited: Didn't you noticed that there is a room in the 2nd floor that you can't access and has no door? Don't go search on the internet for the solution, try to find him by yourself.
I just thought I could never enter that room. I must have played through it at least 6 times. wow
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Pappets »

drunkensailor wrote:
Pappets wrote:
I just thought I could never enter that room. I must have played through it at least 6 times. wow
Don't be ashamed. I played scenario 1 more then 10 times back in the 90s and i figured that those "uh...uh...uh" were of someone trapped or hidden in that room but i never figured how to enter in it. In 2004 finally i discovered how to do it in a magazine.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

MCRT wrote:Exactly that, the solution is actually quite 2D-RPG like, but you can find it out the next time.
Like this says, though. It would be a lot easier to figure out if it were a 2D RPG, since secrets like that are quite common in those, but not so much in 3D games.

MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

I actually found him in one of my first playthoughs, but mostly because I always reviewed every room and never changed the point of view with the shoulder buttons as a kid.
Pappets wrote:
MCRT wrote:

I'm starting to believe that those guys of camelot software planning have experienced some erotic fantasies. There is another item that is related to erotism in SF3 which is the power undies. Did such ideas for items like these just appered in their minds by chance? No way!
I find it more irritating that the power undies help you to counter enemy advances :eyebrow:
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Regarding the Power Undies, the only thing that stood out to me was, "Why can both a human, and centaur wear these?" It also gave me images of Cybel running around in panties (because I was using them on her for a while), which I won't get into, but have fun with that.