All Things Shining: Shining Beyond

Impressions on BtB for psx

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Shining Beyond

Post by Diego_Didakus »

Im currently playing Beyond the Beyond, a playstation 1 jrpg developed by Camelot and its has a very strong shining feeling in it that it could be called shining beyond.

Someone else here tried this game also?

The dialogues, walking sprites, portraits, large battle sprites and animations are all very similar to sf2 and sfcd style (its cool to se a 32 bit attempt differente tahn 3d sf)

The downside of the game are the random battles: too much and somewhat boring.

Interesting theres a npc called Zeon.
Check out my projects: https://quasarcorpsgame.com.br/

Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Kaihaku
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Shining Beyond

Post by Kaihaku »

I've heard of it but never looked into it until just now.
Ugh...that intro video... But I actually like the battle visuals, they hold up quite well considering the eye-bleeding quality of PSX games.
Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Diego_Didakus »

The intro reminds me of the Shining Wisdom intro, awfully similar. But its why this game is cool, because the all the other parts are 2d.
Check out my projects: https://quasarcorpsgame.com.br/

Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

I played this game a fair amount back in the day, and a couple years ago actually got around to buying it so I could finally play it all the way through. It's definitely a Shining game at heart. The graphics. The presentation. Spells having levels. Even character promotions, the start up screen where you're talking to the girl in Kaleidoscope Land, and Finn looking like he was sculpted from the same exact mold as Max and Bowie. It's as if Camelot had an idea for a Shining game, Sega rejected it, so they took the idea elsewhere.

It's a pretty fun game, but far from perfect. I find the battles to be a bit frustrating at times considering how puzzle-heavy many of the dungeons are. Nothing gets in the way more while trying to solve huge puzzles than constant random encounters. And if you're mashing the buttons to utilize battle system's bonus effects, the fights can start to become not only tedious, but also physically tiring. Also, as somebody who prefers to promote at the lowest possible level in Shining games,
Spoiler
I found it excruciating how there's not only just one place in the game where you can promote, but by time I reached it my characters were already a few levels beyond the promotion point.
Still, for being (I believe) the very first JRPG for the Playstation, it wasn't a bad effort.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737