Shining Force II: If you could add 2 more characters in a remake

who would be?

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

If you could add 2 more characters in a remake

Post by Diego_Didakus »

As the title says, if we are gonna make a remake of sf2 and have room for 2 more characters which level, race and class you choose? and when in the storyline they would join and why?
Check out my projects: https://quasarcorpsgame.com.br/

Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Earl
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: If you could add 2 more characters in a remake

Post by Earl »

This is actually possible to do in a hack.

I was working on it for a while and got the two extra slots filled with fully functional characters (with placeholder graphics, because I suck). But my desktop went kaput while I was working on adding join events and checking out the viability of extending dialogues.

I might pick it up again at some point, so no spoilers on when/why they'd join, but I had definite spots picked out.

They were going to be another Ninja (because it would be more fun to have another of those than many other existing classes)... and a second Hero (in my head, when dividing the Force to chase down multiple threats I want the halves to have a "commander").

FYI, adding classes would be a pain in the ass, so it's best to assume the extra 2 would use stock classes. The Caravan isn't available until well into the game, so adding anyone before then is problematic.

Originally I wanted a Fairy offensive + healing magic user, then when that wasn't possible Sniper seemed obvious (being the only alt promo class not represented), but f*ck that Sniper is boring. So I settled on Ninja. The Hero was always going to be a Hero.
Ansa
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Ansa »

Lets see...

Astral for one. He would be a Wizard (but also knew Heal or Aura to make him a bit special) he would join either when you normally get him or as a bit over powered for the final battle against Zeon as an extra 13th character. He would know Blaze, Freeze, Bolt, and either Heal or Aura and would have really high MP stat and if it was the latter where hes a bonus character when you fight Zeon (Zeon should also be much much harder) then hes at a very high level and all of his stats are over 100 (thus ??) with HP around 150.

Second character could be a few things I personally like Earl's idea of another Ninja for the reasons he stated. Could also be a unique class like a Dragon or even a Dragon Knight would be cool.

Personally if a remake of SF2 ever did happen I'd change a lot.

Elric would join early on before you leave Grans Island. Janet would join later as a Sniper when she normally does. May would join much later as a promoted unit and would be quite powerful. Kiwi would be redesigned to be more like a normal monster (not stupidly low HP) perhaps have a mechanic where you can raise him in certain ways and he promotes into one of a few different types of monsters depending on what you want him to be (like more attack based or more defense based, perhaps you can make him a spell caster and choose if you want him to know healing magic, support magic, attack magic, or a combination). The classes that can promote to different types of things with the special item would be more balanced so the extra promotions don't completely outclass the normal ones in almost every way (besides PGNT not getting Land Effect bonuses) and I'd also add more of them where pretty much every character should have two different promotions.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Assassins
Mentat
Shining Legend

Post by Assassins »

I would prefer a better balancing to even a single character being added. There are a plethora of characters who are, quite frankly, under utilized in the game. Both Bird men, higins, jaro, kiwi, Janet...

But I would like to see a guard type, like a spearman or something
The failblood.

"I am very poorly and very stupid and I hate everyone and everything" -Charles Darwin
Ansa
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Ansa »

Assassins wrote:I would prefer a better balancing to even a single character being added. There are a plethora of characters who are, quite frankly, under utilized in the game. Both Bird men, higins, jaro, kiwi, Janet...

But I would like to see a guard type, like a spearman or something
100% agree about re-balancing characters including when you get certain characters.
A Soldier class could be interesting but we've already got Warriors and Knights among other front line fighters already so I think you'd have to change one or both of those to really fit a Soldier/Guard class into the game.

Personally I'd like to see more support based classes added but not sure how you could really do it exactly. It always felt weird that priests and mages had buff/debuff magic since it seems like a support class would've made more sense, hell it would be interesting if Master Monks had buff/debuff magic but no healing spells.

I also thought it would've been cool if Ninja's had a stealth spell that makes them invisible to the enemy until they attack (except for maybe bosses) would have greatly helped Slade live longer, could have even had a special weapon that had an ability to re-stealth them if they killed a monster in the same turn.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Diego_Didakus »

Interesting guys.

I think I'd like to see a new healer (upon reaching parmecia) and a new sniper (one that dont suck lol)
Elric would join sooner too.
Maybe oddeye for the final battle (like a secret character, you have to complete some prerequisites to save him after the battle)
And a samurai? SF2 is one of few shining force games that doesnt have one samurai. Another katana user :)

Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Nyttelost
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Nyttelost »

Hmm...
There are two ways that I'd go about answering this question.

If we're talking about modding this game into a remake, I'd probably want a Ninja and maybe another Turtle/Monster, given the condition that Kiwi and this other turtle are reworked to be balanced with the other classes and could be promoted in two ways, likely one a more offensive class (like a Godzilla-type thing) and one a more defensive class (like a Gamera-type thing).

If we're talking about a RotDD-style remake (as in a new game altogether), there's two new character classes that I'd want to see.
- I'd want to see a samurai-type character, possibly joining sometime after the caravan is found. They, and ninjas, would be like their SF3 counterparts in that they have proficiency with katanas and shuriken (note: add shurikens to a remake) and that they have access to magic. The difference between the ninja and samurai is that the samurai would generally be slower but more bulky.
- I'd want to see a shaman-type character, similar to Narsha from RotDD. The idea of a character focusing mostly on buffs seems like a good idea to me.
As previously mentioned, Kiwi could be reworked to be balanced with the other classes and actually become useful (maybe?).
Current Youtube Activities:
Chroma Squad, Valkyria Chronicles, Shining Force: RotDD.

Sometimes I stream on Twitch.

"Strategy. Is. Always." - Shane (Did You Know Gaming), Asagao Academy 2016
RedArcher

Post by RedArcher »

Nyttelost wrote: I'd want to see a shaman-type character, similar to Narsha from RotDD. The idea of a character focusing mostly on buffs seems like a good idea to me.
How about giving this role to Elis then? I.e. she may have the sword and shield as her weapons, so she can use the buff/debuff spells and have a mediocre attack power? If plot could be reworked in the remake, she may join the Force at the Mitula's Shrine instead of Taya, who could have another way to join.

As for me, if I could add the 2 new chars into the game, I'd definitely want to see another Ninja-type character and maybe a Fairy mage like SF III Primula.
Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Diego_Didakus »

When you guys say that want a ninja, is another rat ninja or of another race? adding 1 more ninja to the rom means it will use the same sprite as slade, but in a total remake it could be any race.

I personally prefer a human female as a second ninja. Bu i'd like to see more wererats in the game world, looks like slade is the last of his species.

Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
RedArcher

Post by RedArcher »

DiegoMM wrote:When you guys say that want a ninja, is another rat ninja or of another race? adding 1 more ninja to the rom means it will use the same sprite as slade, but in a total remake it could be any race.

I personally prefer a human female as a second ninja. Bu i'd like to see more wererats in the game world, looks like slade is the last of his species.
Personally I want just the same as you, a female Ninja like Hazuki (SF III) or Akane (STHA). So I'd want her to have a new unique spriteset anyway.
Nuburan
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Nuburan »

A samurai would be nice, and maybe a dragonewt. A character who calls back to one of the earlier games wouldn't hurt.
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

I Agree with the idea of a new samurai, but a female one

second, a Dark Mage
Ansa
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Ansa »

Thinking about this more maybe for another Ninja you could have one that focused on spells and was more of a caster then a fighter like Slade is. Would be interesting for sure to see more ninja magic that isn't just Blaze/Bolt.

Nyttelost
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Nyttelost »

DiegoMM wrote:When you guys say that want a ninja, is another rat ninja or of another race? adding 1 more ninja to the rom means it will use the same sprite as slade, but in a total remake it could be any race.
If just modifying a ROM, one could probably make this ninja character a mentor figure to Slade, so one could use that to explain why he or she, too, is a wererat.
Current Youtube Activities:
Chroma Squad, Valkyria Chronicles, Shining Force: RotDD.

Sometimes I stream on Twitch.

"Strategy. Is. Always." - Shane (Did You Know Gaming), Asagao Academy 2016

Post by rodrigovazquez420 »

Sir Astral for sure!

and I always missed some Kyantaur character in SF2 :)
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Astral's an obvious choice, but for another how about a Galam soldier? Perhaps you find and rescue him during the earthquake, and if you do then he joins as a bodyguard as thanks when you head out with Peter. Of course, because of the Caravan that would mean placing another early character elsewhere. Perhaps May, since her recruitment is quite a bit looser than the rest up until that point (aside from Kiwi, but the context of his recruitment works).
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Cullsoft
Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Post by Cullsoft »

rodrigovazquez420 wrote:and I always missed some Kyantaur character in SF2 :)
This, though that's kinda obvious coming from me. A general niggle I have with SF2 (and possibly one of the reasons I favour other Force games over it) is that it's the only Force game missing a Kyantol.

Storywise it does make some sense that they don't appear - as their appearances in these games are very minimal (i.e. there don't seem to be any outside of the solitary PCs), it's quite possible that none happen to be in Grans or Western Parmecia (or if there are any, they're isolated and keep to themselves).

Even so, it would be neat for one to join in - possibly a descendant of Final Conflict's Minto (or perhaps even an elderly Minto herself)? For class I'd opt for a healer or mage, as per usual from the race - possibly a hybrid of the two for something unique?
ronnen
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by ronnen »

Wererat > Kyantol

<3
Wulfunruh
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Wulfunruh »

I think adding Zylo to the wolfman town, who'd join in an attempt to rekindle old flame...and he'd end up being the person to introduce you to Balbaroy (an old friend who'd tag along to make sure "Zylo" was okay) and would usher you to the bird king... annnnd idea for hack, go.