Shining Fanwork: Shining Force III: 16-bit: Full Saraband Demo Release

Merry Christmas

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Tor_Heyerdal
Shining Member
Shining Member

Shining Force III: 16-bit: Full Saraband Demo Release

Post by Tor_Heyerdal »

=============================================

MAIN DOWNLOAD LINK; CLICK HERE : Archive Password: sfc2

INITIAL RELEASE DATE: DECEMBER 23, 2016
MAIN DOWNLOAD LAST UPDATED ON: DECEMBER 27, 2016

=============================================

Greetings everyone, and a merry Christmas and happy holidays to you.

I know I've been promising this for quite a while now, but I finally present to you the new, updated release of Shining Force III: 16-bit, and I am thrilled to have successfully managed to get it to you just in time for Christmas. :thumbsup:

This demo contains half of Chapter 1. It contains the entire Saraband portion of the game.

It is not entirely bug free, there are a few hiccups and problems. If you accidentally break a menu, just completely close out of that menu, re-open that menu's parent menu, and then close it again. This problem seems to be particularly apparent when loading a file which was saved in combat.

For those of you who installed the old demo: The old build required you to have RPG Maker 2003 and/or its Run Time Package installed, but this is not the case anymore. The game will now run on its own. Similarly, the old build required you to manually install a font, but this is not the case anymore. The game will now automatically support its own font. Windowed mode, however, is still restricted to 640x480 resolution. This is planned to be fixed for the next release, but for now, you will have to deal with it. For those of you who experience game crashes on full-screen/game launch, an alternative game launcher is provided to get around this problem (information in the readme).

The game comes packaged with a Readme file which contains in-depth information about the controls, launch information, troubleshooting information, and contact information. It also comes packaged with a graphical chart (in the form of a .png file) which will show you the controls in a visual representation. It also comes packaged with the latest freeware version of a program called Xpadder, which you can use to configure your controller or joystick to work properly with the game.

I hope that you all have as much fun playing it as I have making it. The next release is planned to include the entirety of Chapter 1. Hopefully that next update will come sooner than this one did, on account of I (theoretically) won't have a bunch of health issues complicating things, nor will I have to cope with quitting smoking all over again, since that's all in the past now. :D

Please don't hesitate to leave your feedback here, or report any bugs. Chances are good that I may already know about any bug you might report, but there's also a chance that I might not, so.

If you played the old demo, then you should hopefully notice a great deal of improvements to already existing content, let alone all of the awesome new content.

May we please have this thread stickied? Thank you. And I suppose you can go ahead and unsticky the old one now.

EDIT: If you have a save file from the old demo release, it will not be compatible with this version. You will have to start from the beginning.

EDIT: Someone reported being unable to utilize the direction keys to any end within the game, but that restarting their system fixed this odd problem. That said, they were having the same problem with other RPG Maker games, so it wasn't a problem with my project, per se.

CRITICAL UPDATE: If you are experiencing a bug in which the load menu continuously pops up whenever you try to do anything in combat, and/or when talking to certain NPCs, then download this patch. It is an archive containing two files. Extract those files to the root directory (main folder) of the game and overwrite the old files. After you have done this, reload your saved game and then talk to the priest in the church to make it stop. If you can't get to the priest because you're stuck in combat, then I'm sorry, but you'll need to restart the game. This was a pretty bad oversight on my part. Sorry. If you have not downloaded the game at all yet, then you will not need to download this fix because I have re-uploaded the game with this fix already applied.

PATCH UPDATE, DEC 27, 2016: If you are experiencing a bug which causes Masqurin and Grace to be unable to utilize any new MP acquired through level-ups in subsequent battles, then you will want to download this patch. This patch will also make it so that if you lose fights 2 or 3, you will not need to sit through their respective cut-scenes all over again the second time 'round. This patch also fixes a few other minor things like stepping out of the church one tile to the left of the door instead of in front of it, or being able to step up on top of the bar after winning the second fight. As usual, if you have not downloaded the game at all yet, then there is no need to download this patch, as it is already applied to the main download now.
Last edited by Tor_Heyerdal on Tue Dec 27 2016 6:23pm, edited 21 times in total.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP except not so IP anymore)
Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Shining Force III: 16-bit: Full Saraband Demo Release

Post by Diego_Didakus »

Hooray!
Gonna test it now!
Check out my projects: https://quasarcorpsgame.com.br/

Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
chris1234p

Post by chris1234p »

Thanks Tor! Gonna check it out now.
Tor_Heyerdal
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Tor_Heyerdal »

Hope everyone who's had time to do so is enjoying the demo. :)

A very critical bug has been brought to my attention by our dear friend Red_Shine. So if you're experiencing a bug wherein you continuously get bombarded with load menus upon trying to do anything in combat or speaking with certain NPCs (or perhaps some other conditions), then you'll want to download this patch. Extract the two files to the root directory (main folder) of the game, and then reload your saved game, and speak with the priest to correct the problem. If you haven't experienced this bug, but you downloaded the game before seeing this post, then you'll want to download this too. If you have not yet downloaded the game at all, then you won't need this because it's already applied to the main download now.

I have also put this information into the OP in an updated edit.

Also, merry Christmas, everyone. <3
Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Diego_Didakus »

Ugh I lost twice the second batte.
But the demo is wonderful and im really enjoying, really a great christmas present.

Killing the boss ends the battle was not implemented yet right? At my second try I managed to kill the pink monk, but after that a bat killed synbios.

A bug that I noticed: Masqurin leveled up and her hp grows 2 points, but when I restart the battle, her hp dont come full, come with 2 points depleted (7/9 I think)

Keep up the good work and merry christmas.

Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Tor_Heyerdal
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Tor_Heyerdal »

DiegoMM wrote:Ugh I lost twice the second batte.
But the demo is wonderful and im really enjoying, really a great christmas present.
Thanks. I'm so glad that you're having fun with it. :D I'm also glad that it isn't too easy. Hehehe.
DiegoMM wrote:Killing the boss ends the battle was not implemented yet right? At my second try I managed to kill the pink monk, but after that a bat killed synbios.
It actually is implemented, but one of two things is happening here: Either 1) This is actually one of those bosses that doesn't end the fight when you kill them (I've called the bosses that do end the fight upon their death "super bosses" in my code. lol), or 2) I simply forgot to assign this boss as being a super boss. lol. I'll look into it.
DiegoMM wrote:A bug that I noticed: Masqurin leveled up and her hp grows 2 points, but when I restart the battle, her hp dont come full, come with 2 points depleted (7/9 I think)
Yes, I am aware of this bug, but I'm not really sure what's causing it yet. I didn't have time to fix it and get the game released in time for Christmas. Your party will heal up after a fight is over, but they don't seem to regain any HP past what their max was when they began the fight (or something like that), even if they leveled up past that point. I'll have that fixed for the next update, definitely.
DiegoMM wrote:Keep up the good work and merry christmas.
:D Thank you very much, and merry Christmas to you too, my friend.
Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Diego_Didakus »

Oops. I mean masqurin gained 2 mp points, not hp, my mistake. The problem is with the extra mp points not replenished in the start of the battle.

Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Tor_Heyerdal
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Tor_Heyerdal »

DiegoMM wrote:Oops. I mean masqurin gained 2 mp points, not hp, my mistake. The problem is with the extra mp points not replenished in the start of the battle.
Yeah, same thing. lol.

EDIT UPDATE: I have fixed the MP bug. See the OP for a patch download. As usual, the patch has been applied to the main download, so anyone who's downloading the full game will not need to download the patch.
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

Swapped the stickies around for you.

If I ever get time to try this out, I'll give it a whirl.
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator
SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
Chaoswizard98
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chaoswizard98 »

Alright I finally got a chance to play it and I have loads of bugs to report. :thumbsup:

Battle 1:
No real issues unless the boss is supposed to end the fight. If he is... well... he didn't.

Battle 2:
Garosh went and got himself killed so I egressed to restart the battle. I sent Dantares and Grace in to save him the second time. Somewhere in there, the first bat (top left) flew in and I hit it with a blaze spell. The bat had no name this time around (name spot was blank) and it's battle sprite wasn't there. It DID however take the correct damage saying "Masked monk took 9 damage".

Later Dantares had the talk option (I mistook it for attack initially as he was standing next to both Garrosh and a monk) and it allowed me to select Garrosh and the monk. I chose the monk and nothing happened. (again, I thought it defaulted to attack)

After that the cursor was shifted down and to the right when selecting people. (ie, it was choosing the wrong tile) but functionality wise, everything worked fine. Later it shifted to down left, (possibly when I tried talking to the green haired guy).

After I saved Garrosh, he decided to charge in and solo the boss and 2 bats and ended up getting owned by 'blast level 0' which pretty much 1 shotted him dealing 10-11 damage.

Oh and I found out that you can cast blaze even when you don't have enough mana. (at least you can with blaze 1 and 2, not tested heal)

Regarding the talk option. Is it supposed to do anything? It seems to have no effect.

Battle 3:
So apparently your fearless leader cant gain experience (either that or it's wiped between battles or whatnot) as he was still only level 1 (and he SHOULD have been level 3).

First time through, my level 1 Synbios got owned by the knights.

After the restart, none of the 'cutscenes' or 'scripted events' happened. So... No knights spawned and the imposter / monks didn't move from their start location (they weren't ever selected by the cursor).

Killing the boss also didn't end the battle so... I had to spend a good 10 minutes Killing the imposter 1 damage at a time... Killing all units did send me to the next cutscene though.

================
Overall it was a fun playthrough. Keep up the great work!
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 14&t=26022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tor_Heyerdal
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Tor_Heyerdal »

Chaoswizard98 wrote: Battle 1:
No real issues unless the boss is supposed to end the fight. If he is... well... he didn't.
Yeah, he's not supposed to end the fight.
Chaoswizard98 wrote: Battle 2:
Garosh went and got himself killed so I egressed to restart the battle. I sent Dantares and Grace in to save him the second time. Somewhere in there, the first bat (top left) flew in and I hit it with a blaze spell. The bat had no name this time around (name spot was blank) and it's battle sprite wasn't there. It DID however take the correct damage saying "Masked monk took 9 damage".
I am aware of this, but I have absolutely no idea what's causing it. It's not a particularly common bug, though.
Chaoswizard98 wrote: Later Dantares had the talk option (I mistook it for attack initially as he was standing next to both Garrosh and a monk) and it allowed me to select Garrosh and the monk. I chose the monk and nothing happened. (again, I thought it defaulted to attack)

After that the cursor was shifted down and to the right when selecting people. (ie, it was choosing the wrong tile) but functionality wise, everything worked fine. Later it shifted to down left, (possibly when I tried talking to the green haired guy).
I was aware of this, but I *thought* that I had fixed it. But your description here makes me think that something else may have been causing it all along (specifically, having possible attack targets in range as well as possible talk targets). I'll look into this.
Chaoswizard98 wrote: After I saved Garrosh, he decided to charge in and solo the boss and 2 bats and ended up getting owned by 'blast level 0' which pretty much 1 shotted him dealing 10-11 damage.
He should only "charge" if the boss is within his attack range on that turn. If you let him travel *all* the way down the map before talking to him, then that's your own fault. lol. And yeah, Blast 1 is reporting as Blast 0 in the cinematic. lol. I'm aware of this. :P
Chaoswizard98 wrote: Oh and I found out that you can cast blaze even when you don't have enough mana. (at least you can with blaze 1 and 2, not tested heal)
This is also the case with Heal. It's not yet programmed to check if you have enough mana to cast a spell. It just goes ahead and casts it. I'm aware of this, and it will definitely be dealt with in the next release.
Chaoswizard98 wrote: Regarding the talk option. Is it supposed to do anything? It seems to have no effect.
It is, and it does. I've seen it work 1000 times, and I've never once seen it do nothing.
Chaoswizard98 wrote: Battle 3:
So apparently your fearless leader cant gain experience (either that or it's wiped between battles or whatnot) as he was still only level 1 (and he SHOULD have been level 3).
... wut? First I'm hearing of this. I guess I'll have to look out for this one...
Chaoswizard98 wrote: First time through, my level 1 Synbios got owned by the knights.
Happens. lol.
Chaoswizard98 wrote: After the restart, none of the 'cutscenes' or 'scripted events' happened. So... No knights spawned and the imposter / monks didn't move from their start location (they weren't ever selected by the cursor).
I had this same problem with the second fight and fixed it. I didn't realize this was happening in the third fight too. Thanks for letting me know. I'll release a patch for this one in the near future (either today or tomorrow).
Chaoswizard98 wrote: Killing the boss also didn't end the battle so... I had to spend a good 10 minutes Killing the imposter 1 damage at a time... Killing all units did send me to the next cutscene though.
Which shouldn't have been an issue because the Imposter is supposed to be off the map long before then. lol. When I fix the thing mentioned above, it will also fix this too.
Chaoswizard98 wrote: Overall it was a fun playthrough. Keep up the great work!
Thanks! I will! :D
Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Diego_Didakus »

Synbios losing experience happened with me too, when he was defeated, his experience was changed back to 0, but in battle he gained levels normally.

Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
LordOddEye
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by LordOddEye »

I really loved it great to see lots of people making fan games.

Wishing you the best of luck and keep up the great work

Regards,

Shawn
stefanos2k10

Post by stefanos2k10 »

any news? on an update?
stefanos2k10

Post by stefanos2k10 »

any update on this?
Tor_Heyerdal
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Tor_Heyerdal »

Yeah, sure. I can get you guys up to date on what I've been up to.

First of all, @stefanos2k10: HOW DID YOU DOUBLE POST?! I thought you couldn't do that here?! :O

Secondly, I just want everyone to know that I have been hard at work on this project almost every day. It is not forgotten nor is it on the back burner. If I had funding, I would be working on it full time, but as it stands, I work on it as much as I humanly can.

Balsamo is completely finished except for the fact that I need to add in the findable loot, and I need to make the stairs in Toby's house work like proper stairs, but besides that, Balsamo is 99% finished.

Dwarf Valley is also 100% finished, and so is the fight that takes place there. Just yesterday, I finished implementing the functionality to search chests in combat and receive their loot.

Yesterday, I spoke with Cherry. He's the creator of RPG Maker 2009, which is the unofficial expansion to RPG Maker 2003 which I use. And he pointed me in the direction of a patch and plugin that will allow me to finally utilize strings (albeit, only short strings, but they're long enough) in this project. For any game devs out there: Yes, I have done this project entirely without the use of any strings up until this point. I've done the math, and this is going to shave off 3.6M+ lines of code that I will no longer need to do. For example, the script that reports "CHARACTER got the ITEM" would have been approximately 62,000 lines of code by itself. Now it is just sixteen lines of code because of my newfound ability to utilize string variables. This is massively revolutionary for my project, and the progress is real.

Up until recent months, the way I've been managing this project is with a "by the skin of my teeth" policy, if you will. What this means is that I've only been programming and implementing features that are absolutely required for the amount of game I have so far. So, for example, there was nothing implemented regarding any characters beyond Hayward because I had no characters beyond Hayward put into the game yet. The HP/MP/Name windows that show up in the top right corner of the screen were only programmed to show an amount of value up to what was able to be appearing in the game so far. And many other such limiting corner-cutting. The intention at the time was to speed up the release of updates, but I've since come to realize that this only slows down release dates, because I have to go through all of my scripts (of which there are approximately 700 thus far) and manually track down every little piece that needed to be updated with every little new addition of game.

In recent months, I have abandoned this "skin of my teeth" model, and I have taken to fully expanding all of my existing scripts to completion. I would say that I'm probably at least 80% finished with this process. These expansions accommodate for everything. Every character, every value, every item, every spell; even things that aren't even in the game yet and won't be for a long time yet to come.

Another problem with the project is that I had a great many integral scripts that were localized to the battle maps. This meant that if I changed anything on one of them, I would have to manually go through all the battle maps and change it on all of them, one at a time. The reason this was the case was because when I first began the project, I erroneously believed that if an event script pointed to an event sprite on a map, then that script had to be on the same map as the sprite. This, it turns out, is not true, so I have recently moved all of those scripts into the Common Event Script Database, so there is now only one instance of each of these scripts, instead of having them arbitrarily repeated on every map. This also cuts down about 800KB of filesize per map file (that's a lotta' text, eh?). At approximately 5 fights per chapter, and approximately 5 chapters per Scenario, we can surmise that this will cut a significant amount of filesize off of the finished product.

What this all means for you guys is that the precipice point is finally being reached. The snowball effect will begin soon. Once I'm finished expanding these combat scripts mentioned above, the snowball will grow and descend faster and faster. I am confident that once I begin work on the next and final combat of Chapter 1, I will have it complete in just a matter of days. In human terms, you could say that I've spent the last several months creating a fully functional template. So that means that to create new fights from this point forward, the only thing I need to do is just build the terrain of the map, and fill in the blanks. I anticipate three days. One day to build the map. One day to do the cutscene material. And one day to fill in the blanks for a functioning fight. And then bam. I'll have fight five and a complete Chapter 1 demo. From this point forward, I will no longer be releasing updates one or two fights at a time, but rather entire chapters at a time. With everything streamlined, I should be able to pump out entire chapters now in the time it has been formerly taking me to pump out single combats.

There are, however, two things that will still slow down progress to a real and noticeable extent: 1) the need to create new spell animations, and 2) the need to create new sprites (both walkabout sprites and cinematic battle sprites). Many of the sprites are simple palette swaps, and so those can be done in a couple of hours, so they're not too significant. But some of them, like the High Priests of Bulzome, are a great deal more effort (and yes, the Four High Priests of Bulzome *have* had their sprites created already, except for Goriate, who is still a work in progress, though I have completed one of his frames). I am considering waiting on the spell animations until later, and just getting out lots of game content for now. If I do that, then your mages won't really be learning any new spells (or at least they won't be usable), and enemy mages won't really be casting much of anything. But I will, of course, go back and add them in eventually, should I go that route. It easily takes at least a week to create a spell animation because they're not static, they're dynamic and have RNG elements.

Also, any and all bugs that were present in the release in the OP in this thread have all been fixed. The reason I never released a patch here to fix Synbios' stats returning to level 1's values after each fight was because I don't know what I did that fixed that, but it is fixed now, at any rate. lol.

The next update will also be the LAST update where save files won't be compatible. You will need to start a new file with this coming update and you will not be able to utilize your already existing save files. But this should be the last time. With every subsequent update after this one, I anticipate that you should be able to maintain your save files from one version to the next.

I expect the new version to be released by Halloween at the latest.
Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Diego_Didakus »

wow, many good news! Im amused by the amount of work and passion you put into this. You're still my hero :)
Im not the best spriter here but if I can help with any sprites, battle or walk, tell me and I will try. Cant help with spell animation.

Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Chaoswizard98
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chaoswizard98 »

I can confirm that Tor is indeed still working on this. We discuss our projects over Skype quite frequently as we continue to make progress towards our eventual final releases. :thumbsup:
The reason I never released a patch here to fix Synbios' stats returning to level 1's values after each fight was because I don't know what I did that fixed that, but it is fixed now
Don't forget to also fix the broken scripted events for battle 3. I'd rather not have to spend 80 turns killing the imposter 1 hp at a time... again... lol.

Nonetheless, I cant wait to play chapter 1!
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 14&t=26022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heldane

Post by Heldane »

Hah, this is awesome. Brings back memories from SF3 and those from Genesis too.
stefanos2k10

Post by stefanos2k10 »

looking forward to more