Shining Force: Palette/Graphics hack WIP (last update nov 13th, 2016)

Constructive criticism is welcome

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Palette/Graphics hack WIP (last update nov 13th, 2016)

Post by ResidentLeever »

Hey all,
I recently started editing SF1 palettes via screenshots to make things closer to the artwork and to the sequel, and now that I know about the editor I'm planning to make a proper hack out of the mockups. Below are some examples and you can find the rest that I have so far here: http://imgur.com/a/vDN8h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right click and open in a new tab to zoom in. The order is Original>Edits, sometimes with multiple versions. Let me know which one you prefer!

We'll have to see about these darkest bg color changes

OLD: Moved some color around to remove the clown nose, different cape colors based on ending Max in third pic
Spoiler

Moved some color around for the darker, artwork-based version

Might move some color around to get the red tounge with a blue-ish shield

Moved some color around for the bg cloud

Last two are a smidge closer to the Cain artwork I think, though you can't get as subtle a green/turquoise

I couldn't find a colored original artwork for DD so most of these are based on the below pics. Last two versions have an added shade, might not be doable.

There's also the GBA one, not sure what people think about it?
Last edited by ResidentLeever on Sun Nov 13 2016 11:10pm, edited 8 times in total.
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Palette hack WIP

Post by Righteous Force »

Looks interesting.

Re: Palette hack WIP

Post by ResidentLeever »

Eyes edit for Lyle, let me know what you think:

Intro:
Spoiler
Portraits (some have been further improved since):
Spoiler
Last edited by ResidentLeever on Sun Nov 13 2016 11:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Palette/Graphics hack WIP

I'm surprised no else has yet commented. Anyways, great work ResidentLeever.

Post by ResidentLeever »

Thanks man!

Most of the latest batch of battle graphics edits:
Spoiler
Rightmost is based on the portrait art
Gba ver. style edit
Spoiler
Last edited by ResidentLeever on Sun Nov 13 2016 11:06pm, edited 5 times in total.
Helldhaz
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Helldhaz »

It's cool to see the hidden background effects on the portraits.

Post by ResidentLeever »

Oh those were added by me (along with most of the anti-aliasing - rounding of jagged outlines), but here and there there are colors that had such a dark shade that it blended with the black base color, or highlights with weird colors like for the High Priest enemy.
Helldhaz
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Helldhaz »

Oh, well in that case you did a good job!

Post by ResidentLeever »

Thank you.

Here's a sound test screen edit I've been working on for a bit, zoom in to see the minor spritework changes to the rooster and the guy on the left. I changed one of the shades for the rooster so that I could make the light around them blue, then moved a couple of brown/yellow shades around to make it not look weird.

Menu icons:
LTR: Original, GBA style (one with dithering to get closer to the gba shades), happy medium, closer to the original. Might not be able to do the dithering though.

Zylo promoted and Musashi with minor spritework edits.
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

I'm not sure about that dithered look since I can't see it blended in that photo. But considering that most play these games without dithering colour blends (which I never approve of myself), I say pass on it. But really, up to you. As I could go either way.

Post by ResidentLeever »

Yeah the shades are very close, so it's not noticeable unless you zoom in a lot (open in a new tab and press ctrl & +).

I recently noticed that the menus use the common palette, also used by town sprites and items, plus the force when you're not in battle. Which is annoying as I thought the force always used the force palette. I'll have to consider how changing the icons affects everything else.

Edit:
Apparently the menus use the force palette during battle, so it looks like they will look like this with the new palette I'm using. Please tell me if it looks good enough, otherwise I'll have to tweak the force palette.

I tweaked the force palette earlier to prioritize skin tones and edited all force members with new shades and tweaking to make the shading more consistent. I also took the portrait colors in consideration.

There's a dark brown in the common & force palettes that's used very little, so I turned it into another skin tone. The leftmost color is transparent, so it doesn't show. Note that the brightness will be the same as in the originals in-game, I was just using a slightly different palette when editing in paint.net.

Edit:
I've decided to do a bit of shading and anti-aliasing cleanup work on each battle sprite, so they're gonna take longer but the results will be nicer. For the cerberus below (and a couple of others) I've added one extra shade for better highlights, since most sprites have several unused palette slots.
Spoiler
Edit 2:
Probably final versions of most of the chapter 1 enemies compared to the originals, let me know what you think:
Spoiler
Added the pig nose like in the artwork

Fixed the filled armpit in the attack frame and inconsistent metal shading in other frames

Armpit fix and added glow around eyes

Too dark purples perhaps?

Consistent shield shading. I could make the tongue red if wanted, though I believe lizards don't have red tongues.

Also fixed the brightest shade on high priest (yellow/orange one)

Added shade for smoother highlights. Fixed the empty pixels in some frames.

More consistent shading in all frames

Added shade for darkest skin tone anti-aliasing

Fixed cap shading and armpit fill on both

And here's max's battle sprite:
Added a shade for more consistent hair (orange like the portrait), made the hair shading more consistent between frames, and used the barely used yellow shade for leather highlights in every frame instead of just the last one.

Edit 3:
As a test I made a couple of slightly redrawn conversions of the gba version items to MD, should I keep going or just use the originals? Will have to use the common/force palette above.
Spoiler

Edit 4:
First two spells edited.
Spoiler
Edit 5:
A couple of edits for guardiana, first town. Tell me which you like better or if I should change some aspect:
Spoiler

Darker (34, 34, 0) "black" and less green but more blue in the wall/rock gray tones.

Original:

Edit 6:
I ran into some problems with the party/force sprites I've edited and have made a couple of compromised version edits because of that. Colors 11-15 are used by the HUD (wasn't the case for enemy sprites) and currently can't be edited since the predefined colors take priority, though it looked like it in the editor.

Would like to know if they're good enough like this (compromise version to the right):
Yes, undecided about the hooves.

Other characters (compromise to the right):
Spoiler
Changed a bit to make it work with palette swaps
^Compromise to the left
I think these turned out pretty well. My only worries is about the anti-aliasing being too noticeable and if colors 11 and 12 start flashing. Hopefully rubixcuber can help with that; those colors are used on Max without problems in the original rom so it should work.
Last edited by ResidentLeever on Sun Nov 13 2016 11:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
projectego
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Palette/Graphics hack WIP (last update nov 11th, 2016)

Post by projectego »

Wow - amazing work, RL! The updated colour palette looks great! Sega were very harsh with their Force member palettes especially, so it's especially nice to see you've made so much progress on that front. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this thread and your work.

Really - beautiful work, man!
Last edited by projectego on Fri Dec 11 2020 2:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFMods.com: A community for modders and fans of Shining Force and Shining Force II. Now on Facebook!

(Romans 12:1-2)

Re: Palette/Graphics hack WIP (last update nov 11th, 2016)

Post by ResidentLeever »

Thanks, PE :)

All chapter 1 items have been converted. Let me know which healing rain and defense potion style you prefer:

We're getting very close a demo release of the patch, with chapter 1 completed. Stay tuned!

Edit: Alterone map and battle edits, with some alternative battle versions:
projectego
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Palette/Graphics hack WIP (last update nov 13th, 2016)

Post by projectego »

The refreshed colour palette makes Alterone look gorgeous! Everything looks much more natural and warm. Love it!
SFMods.com: A community for modders and fans of Shining Force and Shining Force II. Now on Facebook!

(Romans 12:1-2)