SFIII Translation Project: Isomaker error

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

graciaman

Re: Isomaker error

Post by graciaman »

Pappets wrote:I remember that in 2005 the translation was finished. I printed it to paper. I ended up with a ton of pages on my lap so i could play and read. But still i was excited :excited: . And let me tell you also that i dumped the ton of pages in the trash just a few weeks ago :) It stayed with me for 10 years in a box :) I needed the translation on paper because at that time i didn't had a PC and i couldn't finish scenario 2 because in the penultimate battle i ended up with just two warriors, being David one of them, in the second battalion to fight against Garvin and his army of monsters. Later i succeeded to save Hazuki. But still, i didn't knew what to do to make those two warriors in one of Balsamo's HQs to join Medion battalion. With the translation i learned :excited: They were Waltz and Rock! With Penko was the same thing.

The patch project came less then a year after, if i'm not mistaken. The first scenario with a patch with english dialogues and all the rest was the PD by Knight of Dragon. Then Legalize Freedom took the lead, correct? But still, it's been 10 long years to finish the patchs. I don't mean to be ungrateful, i really apreciate your work because thanks to you i can play SF3 and understand the story, but still sometimes i feel frustated to see update after update after update without seeing the long awaited FINAL PATCH :excited:

This gives me so many memories! I did the same thing. I printed the entirety of both Sc2 and Sc3 and read along as I played through them for the first time years ago. Everything down to each townsperson. It was really something.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

Pappets wrote:I remember that in 2005 the translation was finished. I printed it to paper. I ended up with a ton of pages on my lap so i could play and read. But still i was excited :excited: . And let me tell you also that i dumped the ton of pages in the trash just a few weeks ago :) It stayed with me for 10 years in a box :) I needed the translation on paper because at that time i didn't had a PC and i couldn't finish scenario 2 because in the penultimate battle i ended up with just two warriors, being David one of them, in the second battalion to fight against Garvin and his army of monsters. Later i succeeded to save Hazuki. But still, i didn't knew what to do to make those two warriors in one of Balsamo's HQs to join Medion battalion. With the translation i learned :excited: They were Waltz and Rock! With Penko was the same thing.

The patch project came less then a year after, if i'm not mistaken. The first scenario with a patch with english dialogues and all the rest was the PD by Knight of Dragon. Then Legalize Freedom took the lead, correct? But still, it's been 10 long years to finish the patchs. I don't mean to be ungrateful, i really apreciate your work because thanks to you i can play SF3 and understand the story, but still sometimes i feel frustated to see update after update after update without seeing the long awaited FINAL PATCH :excited:

The printable script that was and is still available here on SFC was never close to complete. It was also inaccurate in a great many places. I am grateful for it as it was a great starting point and I appreciate the work that went into producing it, but it was not on par with the expectations of this project.

I would love to pull a completely finished project out of the air, but the fact is this project has required thousands of man hours to be where it is today. I could not even begin to calculate the time I have personally put into it...

If you don't mean to be ungrateful, then don't be. ;)
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Pappets »

Too bad you're unable to perceive sarcasm. That's your problem, not mine.
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
It seems that little by little the innovators are coming back to Sega.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

You know Pappets, you need to really reword things you say, a lot of your "sarcasm" can only be understood by you, and I know in quite a few places on this forum that people have taken it to be offensive. Remember, this is all text, nobody can hear the tone of your voice to understand that it is sarcasm.
messes

Post by messes »

Another Windows 10 Build 10586.36 user here.

On my system when copying from the disk drive it gets to the creation stage and I see it spawn thousands of copies of mkisofs.exe before the system eventually ran out of resources and blue screened.

Windows Server 2012 works though.
BobT36

Post by BobT36 »

Is there any chance of you finding that source, or making a new ISOMaker app?

I ask because the patcher doesn't work anymore on my machine, it just crashes with the typical "stopped working" error after the fourth-ish cmd window. (Just before it starts listing the percentages I think).

Works fine on my girlfriend's machine but not mine for some reason, even though it used to way back when Bulzome was used as the icon.

If we had some source or something I could have a go at debugging it myself to find out what it doesn't like on mine. However currently without my GF's machine, I'd have no way to patch at all!

I'm running it straight from my C:\ as well, and have tried with all 4 discs, works with none of them now. :(
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Already said, issue is not ISO Maker, issue is the program I use to build the iso, won't be fixed
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

We will look for a new solution.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

or we can just wait and see if the dos emulation gets fixed lol
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

I haven't heard anything about MS intentionally removing dos emulation and I can't imagine they would, but nothing would surprise me.

If you think that's the crux of the problem, I'll start a ticket with MS.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

yes, since it used to work on windows 10, they did something to the compatibility mode that is causing the dos app to no longer work

looks like windows 10 reverted back to 10240, guess MS knew they messed up
EricLegacy21
Hero of the Shining Light
Shining Member

Post by EricLegacy21 »

knight0fdragon wrote:yes, since it used to work on windows 10, they did something to the compatibility mode that is causing the dos app to no longer work

Microsoft actually reverted only for a short time a while ago. They're on 10586. The way it works is if you first upgrade or install a fresh copy of 10240, it will take 30 days before 10586 shows up on the Windows Updates. If you were on 10240 for a while, it'll update right away. I know this as I own a computer store and deal with this crap every day :p

I would maybe go with the ticket to Microsoft, Legalize. Microsoft is working on the next build which I'm guessing will be released in March. Maybe they'll be able to fix it then!
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

I have been on 10240 since July, I updated to the November build 10586 when you described this problem, then when I turned it back on, It was forced back to 10240 and will not download anymore. even the ISO on Microsoft no longer has the 10586 patch on it, as I have downloaded this last night to try and upgrade it.
EricLegacy21
Shining Member

Post by EricLegacy21 »

knight0fdragon wrote:I have been on 10240 since July, I updated to the November build 10586 when you described this problem, then when I turned it back on, It was forced back to 10240 and will not download anymore. even the ISO on Microsoft no longer has the 10586 patch on it, as I have downloaded this last night to try and upgrade it.
That's odd. I know they put it back to 10240 then changed their mind again. It was all due to a small number of people complaining about the privacy issues with 10586. Microsoft then corrected half of the issues people were describing. I just did a test on my 10240 build and the 10586 shows up on my windows update as it has with all the PCs I've worked on in the last few months.

As you described, I see that Microsoft did in fact turn their media creation tool back to 10240 a while ago. I have copies of 10586 I used back when it released in November so I guess I haven't tried out the tool since.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-1 ... ber-update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I just saw this here as well. Looks like you'll only be able to get 10586 through windows update as I described above. I couldn't give you a reason why yours rolled back.

Edit* Btw if anyone has Twitter, can you contact a person named Gabe Aul? He's in charge of feedback for Windows 10. It would be great to get the info about the DOS issue since they're currently working on a new build for the Spring release in March-April :) As I don't know too much how it works, it would be great if someone who knows about the ISOMaker and DOS to contact him!
BobT36

Post by BobT36 »

knight0fdragon wrote:yes, since it used to work on windows 10, they did something to the compatibility mode that is causing the dos app to no longer work

Well that's the weird thing, I'm on Windows 7 x64. :/

Pretty sure it used to work yonks ago. Can't think of why it's not. I keep my computer more up to date than she does hers though, so could have been something in a Win update that cocked it up. Just with no error log or anything I don't know what the problem is.
EricLegacy21
Shining Member

Re: Anyone familiar with setting up a wiki?

Post by EricLegacy21 »

Microsoft is currently working on a new version of Win10 called Redstone. The build number on testing is currently 14257. I gave them and some developers a heads up on the emulation for DoS as requested. I won't be able to test out the new build today and try the patching process again. But I'll give it a go next week sometime and report back. Hopefully my feedback was heard.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

For people who are still having this problem, try this. Go to the directory that ISOMaker is located. Go to the data folder, look for a file called mkiosfs.exe, and set that compatability to windows XP SP3
BobT36

Post by BobT36 »

knight0fdragon wrote:For people who are still having this problem, try this. Go to the directory that ISOMaker is located. Go to the data folder, look for a file called mkiosfs.exe, and set that compatability to windows XP SP3
Unfortunately this didn't work for me. As said though I'm on Win 7 x64, so it may help for those on Win 10. The patching process worked for me years ago, pretty sure I was on this same machine too. It still works fine on my girlfriend's machine though. (Also Win 7)

I'm running the patcher from my C: Drive and have the images mounted in Daemon Tools.

However I recorded a couple of attempts at patching, and have found at least two points where it gives a "File Not Found" error before crashing. Unsure if this is normal or not.

Scen 1 Patching: (14s and 15s)

Scen 2 Patching: (24s and 27s)
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

your problem looks like a permissions issue, make sure you have full access to the folder
BobT36

Post by BobT36 »

I'm the Administrator of my machine with UAC off so it shouldn't be. :S But I know Windows can be a bit stupid sometimes with that.

Which files is it looking for at that point? I'll have a right click script to claim Owner of a directory if I know which.

I'll try disabling my AV (Norton Internet Security) too next time, just in case.