SFIII Translation Project: Isomaker error

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Isomaker error

Post by knight0fdragon »

Haha don't get your hopes up, that program is over 10 years old, I dont even think I have the source code for any of it anymore. My backup dvds of this project somehow got destroyed, I cant seem to find the google drive I put the source on, I thought I put it on the FTP but I couldn't find it, my last option is to go through a stack pile of hard drives and find it LOL

F##K 10 years, has it really been that long?
EricLegacy21
Hero of the Shining Light
Shining Member

Post by EricLegacy21 »

Oh I know how that is! I don't blame you lol hopefully you can find it :)
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

Even if there is little hope of figuring out what is causing it, we are only talking about the isomaker here. I would think it would be relatively simple to put another one together if indeed Win10 ends up borking it.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

yeah ISO maker was just a front loading app, IIRC, all it does is place the ip.bin in the beginning sector, patches the ip.bin, then rebuilds the cd directory structure. The think to be looking at is that command prompt app, which I did not write. Perhaps there is a new version out.
mesmer

Post by mesmer »

Update: My girlfriend's laptop has Win10 Home with build 10240.

So, it does seem that this build runs isomaker but build 105386 does not.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

so I just updated to the latest win 10, yeah they f#cked up compatibility mode. I can't even install SF3Patch as of right now
EricLegacy21
Hero of the Shining Light
Shining Member

Post by EricLegacy21 »

knight0fdragon wrote:so I just updated to the latest win 10, yeah they f#cked up compatibility mode. I can't even install SF3Patch as of right now
Yeah you would think compatibility mode would work :/ Other things still work in compatibility. I'm going to do a test today and try their new preview build Windows 10 build 11082 and see if the problem is fixed. I'll report back if it does or doesn't :)

*Edit* Just reporting back that I tried to run Isomaker on Windows 10 Build 11082 Insider Preview and it has the same issue as Build 10586 :(
graciaman

Post by graciaman »

Hi all. Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I play through all 3 scenarios annually and always download the latest patch before doing so. I'm also on the latest Windows 10 and getting the same hanging on the last dos window issue. Has a fix been found or an alternative to making the patches ISOs? Keep up the awesome work everyone btw. This trilogy is my favorite game of all time and I love that this community is still active.
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

I guess the only "fix" for the time being is to have a Virtual Machine of either XP/Win7 to use solely for creating the patched files, until either the problem get's fixed in Win10 or the ISOMaker programme is made Win10 compatible.
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin:
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Isomaker will never change, the program i used to build the cd hasnt been updated in years
graciaman

Post by graciaman »

Gotcha. I'll look into trying a VM or dual booting my machine into Windows 7. Thanks for the help. Definitely want to play the most recent revision of the patch. Looks like the changes are really coming along for the smoothness of the story as a whole.
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Pappets »

I don't mean to be rude but isn't it time for this project to be finished already? It's been 10 years since it started! The spanish project is in 68% in 4 years! The 1st and 2nd scenarios are done already and the 3rd is half way.

Be gentle with your answers :eyebrow:
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
It seems that little by little the innovators are coming back to Sega.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

knight0fdragon wrote:Isomaker will never change, the program i used to build the cd hasnt been updated in years
Surely there is a modern solution that offers the required functionality.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Who knows, there may be a different solution, but ISO Maker itself would not be able to support it. How ISO maker works is it puts the ip.bin into the boot strip, then it puts the files in a particular order onto the ISO
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

Pappets wrote:I don't mean to be rude but isn't it time for this project to be finished already? It's been 10 years since it started! The spanish project is in 68% in 4 years! The 1st and 2nd scenarios are done already and the 3rd is half way.

Be gentle with your answers :eyebrow:
I'll admit to not knowing much about the Spanish project, but are the translators doing a Japanese-Spanish translation, or is it using the English translation to create a Spanish translation from it?

Mensa Member
IQ 137
alex_man
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by alex_man »

the spanish project is from english to spanish that's why is faster the spanish one :thumbsup:
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

Ta, alex_man.

Please note, Pappets, that we only have the one Japanese-English translator, and have never had more than two at one time throughout the entirety of the SF3 Translation Project :)

Mensa Member
IQ 137
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

The Spanish project (and other languages as much as they have been worked on) have benefited greatly from the work of the English project in almost every way. All the big hurdles have already been cleared. All the difficult questions answered. All the processes perfected (as much as possible). And yes, the difficult translation is from Japanese to English. Far more qualified English to Spanish translators available.

That is not to take away from what they have accomplished in any way. Their dedication and their progress is impressive.
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Pappets »

I remember that in 2005 the translation was finished. I printed it to paper. I ended up with a ton of pages on my lap so i could play and read. But still i was excited :excited: . And let me tell you also that i dumped the ton of pages in the trash just a few weeks ago :) It stayed with me for 10 years in a box :) I needed the translation on paper because at that time i didn't had a PC and i couldn't finish scenario 2 because in the penultimate battle i ended up with just two warriors, being David one of them, in the second battalion to fight against Garvin and his army of monsters. Later i succeeded to save Hazuki. But still, i didn't knew what to do to make those two warriors in one of Balsamo's HQs to join Medion battalion. With the translation i learned :excited: They were Waltz and Rock! With Penko was the same thing.

The patch project came less then a year after, if i'm not mistaken. The first scenario with a patch with english dialogues and all the rest was the PD by Knight of Dragon. Then Legalize Freedom took the lead, correct? But still, it's been 10 long years to finish the patchs. I don't mean to be ungrateful, i really apreciate your work because thanks to you i can play SF3 and understand the story, but still sometimes i feel frustated to see update after update after update without seeing the long awaited FINAL PATCH :excited:
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

New SF3 Compressor by CUE

Post by Pappets »

Ok then hurry up with it. :excited: I'm not getting younger!