SFIII Translation Project: Scenario 1 Error Report Topic

Please read first post first!

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Scenario 1 Error Report Topic

Post by legalize freedom »

Curious this is still happening to some folks. Did it freeze in the same spot after multiple tries?
Likely has to do with file size. A select few files apparently need to be below the normal limit.

Switching to the regular disc wouldn't cause any problems. Please let me know if you can switch and get past it. That will give me a hint.
Musashi

Post by Musashi »

legalize freedom wrote:Curious this is still happening to some folks. Did it freeze in the same spot after multiple tries?
Likely has to do with file size. A select few files apparently need to be below the normal limit.

Switching to the regular disc wouldn't cause any problems. Please let me know if you can switch and get past it. That will give me a hint.
It happened twice in the same place. I tried different sides of the stairs each time.

I will see if the regular disc gets me past it tonight (about 9-10 hours from now in my time zone).
Cullsoft
Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Post by Cullsoft »

I'm just passed this point in the game, and this bug didn't happen to me. However, I'm using the PAL version with the v15 patch on SSF.
Musashi

Post by Musashi »

Update: switching to my regular disc enabled the event to occur as normal. I switched back to the patched disc afterwards.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

I've uploaded a file. Please see if this fixes your freezing issue.

http://sf3transftp.shiningforcecentral.com/X5FURA.bin

Put this file here:
\SF3Patch\files\s1

Then run the patch as normal.

This file is pretty small originally and we have increased its size quite a bit with the translation. It is still well below the normal max file size, but I have found the occasional file that will cause crashes in a similar situation.

I don't believe this is happening anymore in SSF except maybe in cases where the settings are too high or the computer is underpowered. It didn't happen to me during my testing of the area.
Musashi

Post by Musashi »

Sorry man; I already saved past that point. I'll be better about keeping separate saves going forward. After all, I do intend to help beta test the other discs.

Really appreciate the effort tho. If I convince anyone else to play SF3, or if I play it again, I (or they) will try your file out.
Kaliesto

Post by Kaliesto »

Musashi wrote:I saw this mentioned earlier with previous versions of the patch and it just happened to me:

Late in Chapter 4, in Flagard castle, when Synbios (under player control) walks toward Conrad, a dialog is supposed to start, but the game instead freezes with a blue box in the corner.

Using Patch v16, playing on a modded Saturn.

Does this happen to anyone else on Patch V16? Would temporarily switching to the regular disc (US ver.) introduce any other problems?

It's possible considering S1 from what I was reading that it had dialogue, and such that were altered because the USA didn't think it was getting S2, and S3. I believe this project restored all that.
Chinagonuk
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chinagonuk »

I just noticed something odd. When you enter the Vandal's mansion, you are greeted by dialog from the Vandal that say's welcome Benetram (or something like that). But when you defeat him he is talking to the army and is unaware that it is in fact Benetram who is our leader and asks "are you benetram?".

Not sure if this is a teanslation error or just an original mistake in the game's dialogue.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

I'll look into it.

Thanks!

Update:
That was a great catch. All fixed now!
Thanks for the feedback!
Chinagonuk
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chinagonuk »

No problem. I started another playthrough so i'll keep my eyes peeled.
tyree731

Post by tyree731 »

legalize freedom wrote:I've uploaded a file. Please see if this fixes your freezing issue.

http://sf3transftp.shiningforcecentral.com/X5FURA.bin

Put this file here:
\SF3Patch\files\s1

Then run the patch as normal.

This file is pretty small originally and we have increased its size quite a bit with the translation. It is still well below the normal max file size, but I have found the occasional file that will cause crashes in a similar situation.

I don't believe this is happening anymore in SSF except maybe in cases where the settings are too high or the computer is underpowered. It didn't happen to me during my testing of the area.
I've been playing v16 Scenario 1 on a modded Saturn, and had just reached the end of chapter 4, when I also encountered the crash walking up to Conrad. I just wanted to let you know that I used your modified patch file to make a new disc, and that disc did not encounter a crash in that scene, nor have I encountered any translation issues through the beginning of chapter 5, so it seems like it worked. Thanks!
bpislife

Post by bpislife »

I am playing Scenario 1 (v16) on an actual Sega Saturn and I am having an issue at the exact same spot on multiple Sega Saturns (I have 3). I am at the point where Synbios took a secret passage into the castle to confront lord conrad and every time I finish the dialog with Dantres, Grace and "what's her face" and go to walk up the stairs to talk, the game freezes, but the music changed. Additionally, there was another instance (happened once or twice that instead of freezing I got an error "CD read error, check disc and lense pickup" this was overlayed on the game. Typically when I see errors like that it boots me back to the CD play screen on the saturn.

This leads me to believe that it could be the translation that is the issue. I have made a new version with a different copy of shining force 3 and I am having the same issue.

Anyone else seeing this?
Kaliesto

Post by Kaliesto »

Hey it's me again. I tried out your latest version, but Chapter 2 during the refugee rescue battle still freezes at random.

Also I might as well tell you what brand of CD-R I'm using just in case. It is Memorex 52 x 700MB. If that makes any difference.

Also I think somebody inserted some odd text that is not present in the game...and looks like a Editor text joke whoever did that. I think whoever added that in might be the cause of the freezing. That is just my guess to be honest.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Does it freeze using the same disc in an emulator? I don't think the brand matters these days, but I've always used verbatim.

You'll have to be more specific about the odd text. Is this in the same battle?
Kaliesto

Post by Kaliesto »

My laptop can't handle that game in general, so l'll have no way of knowing if it freezes in the comp. As for the text yeah it's in the same battle. I thought since re-burning would have fixed it by now (good job guys by the way), but for some reason the train battle would freeze when switching over to the next character.

It might not even be the text that says..and this is from what I still remembered (DeSuME is my hero! Coming from the king that travels with you). I was thinking...okay that is weird...why is the king saying something that sounds like a editor joke? It was because some soldier guy was giving me a tip about the battle movements when trying to get the refugees over to the tracks.

I have a theory however because I thought I've read about this on this forum:

Reason I say it might not be the texts that it is possible there is too many units in this battle that is causing the modded sega saturn to choke up.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Yes, the odd text you were talking about came to light. It is fixed in the current patch download.

I can't be sure what is causing the freeze on your Saturn. I would recommend trying it on a computer or another modded Saturn to see if the Saturn is at fault. Many times overheating can cause freezes, particularly on older consoles that have dust built-up, so be sure it is well ventilated.
mesmer

Post by mesmer »

Hey guys,

Just to let you know I'm currently doing a complete playthrough for patch 17. I'm on the lookout for grammar errors, typos and other inconsistencies. I found a couple of them so far in Scenario 1.

When I'm done, I'll post all my results here.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Sounds great! Much appreciated.

Please take screenshots and create a doc file or similar with the descriptions. Be sure to include all you can tell me about the location (chapter, battle #, town, etc.).

Thanks for the extra set of eyes!
Christine
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Christine »

Not sure about it.

At the bridge, after the Masked Monk kills Garosh's brother, this dialogue takes place.

Benetram: "How sadystic."
* both Fiale and Masked Monk do the *squeeze* animation and turn around towards Benetram / Synbios.
Fiale: "My sources tell me the republican army has escaped Saraband."
Masked Monk: "The main republican army has deployed in the adjacent plains and the battle rages as we speak.
Fiale: "Benetram, however, is still alive... He used the bulk of his forces as a decoy... He's quite clever."

This is something I've seen on multiple commented LPs. People mock Fiale (disguised as the fake Benetram) for saying that his sources tell him that the republican army has escaped Saraband even though he's supposedly seeing them with his own eyes right then. I never really took the scene like that.

Edmund and Tybalt deploy sometime beforehand, so they've already escaped Saraband and are fighting somewhere outside of it. Fiale's sources report this to him and Fiale (his followers and the imperials) assume that Benetram was with those two armies and that the entirety of the republican army was already gone from Saraband. I always took it that Fiale had fallen for the republican's decoy plan.

However, when Fiale hears and then sees Benetram (and some remains of the republican army) still in Saraband, he's surprised since he had (previously) assumed they were already all gone. The Masked Monk confirms that Edmund and Tybalt are fighting outside, so Fiale then concludes Benetram used Edmund and Tybalt as decoys, so he could escape later and undetected with the much smaller Synbios' force.

Unless I'm very wrong about this interpretation. I don't know what the verbe tense is in japanese either, but consider changing the verb tense in english? From "sources tell me" to "sources told me" (or "sources had told me" IDK which would be better since english isn't my first language). Still I think it will be better phrased that way? As I said, I've seen multiple people interpret it in another way (so unless I'm very wrong about this interpretation..., if that's the case I apologise).

Fiale: "My sources told me the republican army has escaped Saraband [so how can Benetram still be here]."
Masked Monk: "The main republican army has deployed in the adjacent plains and the battle rages as we speak.
Fiale: "Benetram, however, is still alive... He used the bulk of his forces as a decoy... He's quite clever."
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Christine wrote:Not sure about it.

At the bridge, after the Masked Monk kills Garosh's brother, this dialogue takes place.

* both Fiale and Masked Monk do the *squeeze* animation and turn around towards Benetram / Synbios.
Fiale: "My sources tell me the republican army has escaped Saraband."

This is something I've seen on multiple commented LPs. People mock Fiale (disguised as the fake Benetram) for saying that his sources tell him that the republican army has escaped Saraband even though he's supposedly seeing them with his own eyes right then. I never really took the scene like that.

Edmund and Tybalt deploy sometime beforehand, so they've already escaped Saraband and are fighting somewhere outside of it. Fiale's sources report this to him and Fiale (his followers and the imperials) assume that Benetram was with those two armies and that the entirety of the republican army was already gone from Saraband. I always took it that Fiale had fallen for the republican's decoy plan.

However, when Fiale hears and then sees Benetram (and some remains of the republican army) still in Saraband, he's surprised since he had (previously) assumed they were already all gone. The Masked Monk confirms that Edmund and Tybalt are fighting outside, so Fiale then concludes Benetram used Edmund and Tybalt as decoys, so he could escape later and undetected with the much smaller Synbios' force.

Unless I'm very wrong about this interpretation. I don't know what the verbe tense is in japanese either, but consider changing the verb tense in english? From "sources tell me" to "sources told me" (or "sources had told me" IDK which would be better since english isn't my first language). Still I think it will be better phrased that way? As I said, I've seen multiple people interpret it in another way (so unless I'm very wrong about this interpretation..., if that's the case I apologise).

Fiale: "My sources told me the republican army has escaped Saraband [so how can Benetram still be here]."
I believe you have interpreted this correctly on all accounts. I have a feeling those that interpret it differently weren't paying as close attention to the opening cutscene. I will clarify the line in question.

Update:
I believe this clears it up.

~8-98~ Benetram:
How sadistic...
~8-99~ Benetram Impostor:
My sources told me the Republican army had escaped Saraband.
~8-100~ Masked Monk:
The main Republican force has deployed in the adjacent plains and the battle rages as we speak.
~8-101~ Benetram Impostor:
Benetram, however, is apparently still here... He must have used the bulk of his forces as a decoy... He's quite clever.