Shining Force CD: Book 2 freeze. no perfect sync option

Also incorporating Shining Force Gaiden 1 & Shining Force Gaiden 2 (aka Sword of Hajya).

Moderator: Shining Moderators

sticker

Book 2 freeze. no perfect sync option

Post by sticker »

Read through a lot of posts all lead to perfect sync being checked. But sadly there is no such option for iPad md.emu. is there any other way to work around it?
amitrius17

Re: Book 2 freeze. no perfect sync option

Post by amitrius17 »

Lol I was Googling this very issue and found this thread. Well sticker, I have some bad news. I found a thread about this on md.emu's site. The official word is: at this moment they're not accepting bugs for Sega CD as it is in beta. In other words, there's no Perfect Sync feature and they're not going to add it anytime soon. This applies to both the iOS and Android versions of mc.emu.

Another popular emulator on iOS and Android that supports Sega CD, RetroArch, is in the same boat. There's no Perfect Sync option and there probably won't be one.

It's a shame. Without an option for Perfect Sync, that makes maybe 30% of Sega CD's game library unplayable.
zexxar
Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Post by zexxar »

amitrius17 wrote: Another popular emulator on iOS and Android that supports Sega CD, RetroArch, is in the same boat. There's no Perfect Sync option and there probably won't be one.
I was able to get through the whole game (half a year ago) without any issues with RetroArch, I expected problems in that specific scene but there none for me.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!
samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.

Post by Iratezombiemann »

What emulator are you using? I recommend Kega Fusion, you will have a Perfect Sync option then
We will find a way, or we will make one. ~ Hannibal Barca
amitrius17

Post by amitrius17 »

zexxar, oh! Good to know! That explains a lot. I was thrown off by the question (I asked this on behalf of someone else). The evidence suggests this is not a Perfect Sync issue but in fact an issue of incompatibility specific to md.emu.

Iratezombiemann, we're talking about emulators on iOS and Android. I wish Kega Fusion was on Android!
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Righteous Force »

What about trying different resolutions if that emulator doesn't have a perfect sync option? (Is does have that, right?) Isn't there a slight chance that it might work? Well, if you can match the Genesis resolution on that phone, then it should 100% work, no? But maybe if you nail one that doesn't throw the sync too far off, it may be enough too? Is what I'm getting at.
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

I had this problem while playing on Gens, book 2 froze when Gordon was about to leave the screen every time. I played it on Fusion and it was fine.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
metateen
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by metateen »

Kega fusion...I still haven't worked it out so I could play this game...~
~Photobucket~Composer~GMC character designer~DevintART~
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/ ... 78d426.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

Metateen, you need to use Perfect Sync for it to work in Kega Fusion.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Cailin's Character Sheet

SFCW Fiona's Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

Omega Entity wrote:Metateen, you need to use Perfect Sync for it to work in Kega Fusion.
Can you put frame skip on Kega Fusion? I only saw the fast forward option and that speeds it up wayyyy to fast to play lol.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

I never use it, so I don't know if it does or not.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Cailin's Character Sheet

SFCW Fiona's Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

oh okay, i normally use gens and play on frame skip 1 otherwise the game takes too long :) sometimes even frame skip 2 on some parts.
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

I could have sworn retroarch has Perfect Sync within it...

*checks*

There's an option called Hard GPU sync which might be a different name for the same thing.

Retroarch also now has Picodrive as well, which definitely does have Perfect Sync available.
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator
SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
SpinDash

Post by SpinDash »

amitrius17 wrote:Lol I was Googling this very issue and found this thread. Well sticker, I have some bad news. I found a thread about this on md.emu's site. The official word is: at this moment they're not accepting bugs for Sega CD as it is in beta. In other words, there's no Perfect Sync feature and they're not going to add it anytime soon. This applies to both the iOS and Android versions of mc.emu.

Another popular emulator on iOS and Android that supports Sega CD, RetroArch, is in the same boat. There's no Perfect Sync option and there probably won't be one.

It's a shame. Without an option for Perfect Sync, that makes maybe 30% of Sega CD's game library unplayable.
The emulator used in RetroArch (Genesis Plus GX) does not have a "Perfect Sync" option because it does not need one.
It claims to have 100% compatibility with Sega CD games so I guess it is not based on Kega Fusion or Gens like other emulators (MD.emu CD support is copied from Picodrive and Picodrive CD emulation itself is based on Gens for example) and the "perfect sync" is done by default by the emulator.

I finished Shining Force Cd (all books since it supports backup ram cart) with it and did not found any Sega CD games not working so far.
Bambix

Post by Bambix »

Hello there.

I'm desperate right now.
SFCD crashed on the opening of book 2 using md.emu (which I found great so far).

Today, md.emu still doesn't support perfect sync, so I tried RetroArch.
But with both Genesis plus GX and Picodrive, also trying to load file and detect engine, RetroArch crashes :(

At this point, I'm lost....
RedShine
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by RedShine »

As far as I know, the freezing points are very specific, so you could try playing on a PC to go past the freezing points, save normally and then transfer back your saves to whatever mobile device you use.

I happen to have played through SFCD recently in its entirety, so I could supply save states (Kega Fusion though), from which you could potentially load, egress and save to either BRAM (internal memory) or CRAM (cart memory) at your own discretion.

Unless I'm mistaken, at least the internal RAM is agnostic, which means it can be used without problems on different emulators.
Bambix

Post by Bambix »

Hello @RedShine !
Thank you for your answer :)

I've already thought of loading my progress on my PC, then skipping the freezes, saving and then going back on my android device. Unfortunately, md.emu uses a format that I can't use with Kega Fusion (v3.64 (Windows)).
This format is .gp.

I have to admit that I'm pretty much a noob at this, and that I'm a bit lost when you talk about BRAM en CRAM... :confused:
RedShine
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by RedShine »

Bambix wrote:Hello @RedShine !
Thank you for your answer :)

I've already thought of loading my progress on my PC, then skipping the freezes, saving and then going back on my android device. Unfortunately, md.emu uses a format that I can't use with Kega Fusion (v3.64 (Windows)).
This format is .gp.

I have to admit that I'm pretty much a noob at this, and that I'm a bit lost when you talk about BRAM en CRAM... :confused:
I apologize as well, since I've never played emulators on a mobile device (closest I ever did was trying a SNES emu on a NDS), but let's see if things can be made more clear.

When you say .gp, is that the savestate format md.emu uses? if so, then I guess there is really no way to convert directly, although I will still look up possible solutions.
BRAM is just a lazy shortening on my part for Backup RAM :shifty: in short, it is the internal memory of a Sega CD unit. When you start a new SFCD game, regardless of the book you choose, the save girl asks you if you want to use "inner backup" or "cartridge" to save your progress before you begin; BRAM is the internal memory, while CRAM is another shorthand of mine for Cartridge RAM, or the external memory cartridge that could be used with SCD to hold more data.

I don't know if md. emu emulates the external cartridge, but it should at least emulate the machine's internal memory, which you may be able to transfer in and continue from.
Bambix

Post by Bambix »

I must thank you for your time and your patience.
English is not my native tongue and I think that might not help :excited:

Nonetheless, I think I figured things out thantks to your clarifications.

I internally saved the game before the last battle in book 1 and found a .brm file on my tablet that I was able to transfer to my conputer and load with Fusion.

Now I just need to accomplish the last battle on my PC, load book 2, go past the freeze, save on internal memory and put back the .brm file to my tablet. And I will be able to play SFCD again during my long trips ♥

I'll let you know as soon as I have time to do all that.

In the meantime, thank you very much again for your valued help :thumbsup:

edit:
When you say .gp, is that the savestate format md.emu uses? if so, then I guess there is really no way to convert directly, although I will still look up possible solutions.
I indeed mean that .gp is the format used for state save in md.emu
RedShine
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by RedShine »

I'm glad I could help, and don't worry, English is not my native language either, but everything went well, hm?
so you found the .brm, yes? indeed that's the internal memory, I believe everything should work correctly. Hopefully perfect sync will become the standard with SCD emulators, as it is required by several games for proper functioning, from what I've seen.