SFC News: SFC Annual Beg 2013! Need to raise US$330

The latest news from SFC is posted here, where you can discuss it.

Moderators: SFC News, Shining Moderators

Moogie
Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

SFC Annual Beg 2013! Need to raise US$330

Post by Moogie »

...and there goes another year.

Yes folks, it's that time of year again - the Annual Beg. It seems like only yesterday I put up last year's beg. I've barely been here in the last year, but it seems people still use the site. So, if you want to keep using the site over the next year please do consider contributing to the costs of running the site.

If however you feel it's time for the site to be closed down due to inactivity - not only on the site but with the series itself and the direction it has taken, I'd like to know. If the site is no longer wanted or needed and the series is essentially dead to many of us then maybe it's time to say goodbye to SFC? It's had a good life.

Due to a donation received earlier in the year, we are now only looking to raise US$330 instead of the full $360. The invoice is due by October 1st, so we've got about 7 weeks to raise the funds.

If you've got some spare PayPal funds and would like to help contribute towards keeping SFC online for another year, you can do so by clicking on the picture below. Thanks for your ongoing support!

Check me out on Twitch! :excited:
http://www.twitch.tv/ShiningMoogie
Alpha
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: SFC Annual Beg 2013! Need to raise US$330

Post by Alpha »

I certainly don't want SFC to go. Lots of friends here, and even though activity is far less these days I think it would suck to lose the connection. So accept my donation!
Cyric
Tyrannosaurus Sex
Shining Legend

Post by Cyric »

For the umpteenth year, I am unable to make a donation and every year I feel more guilty about not being able to help. I certainly don't want this place to go.

Unfortunately on July 15th, my homeowners' insurance notified us that we have 30 days to put a new roof on the house or else they cancel our insurance. Definitely not cool.
Founder of SFC's Kids Club - Proudly Brainwashing children since 2004.

Author of The Ballad of Vankar

Initial Owner - Thief Trophy SFCRPGv2

Felix qui potest rerum cognoscere causas...

Post by Solo Wing Dragon »

Unfortunately I am quite strapped for cash at the moment so I won't be donating, but I too would hate to see this site disappear.

What are the bandwidth and storage requirements to keep the site alive? If in the event you can't get the funding to renew the hosting account, maybe it would be possible to host the site on someone else's web server.
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

The problem we have with finding other hosts is the legal issues surrounding fan sites. A lot of hosts don't want to touch them. We're also pretty CPU intensive with the RPG etc on the forum. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll raise the funds. We have over US$130 already :)

Cyric: hope you're able to get your roof sorted. I would have thought your insurance was there to cover such things, not to tell you to do them off your own back! Guess it's different over there.

Thanks for the donations so far folks, we usually scrape it together in time so I'm sure we will again this year!
Cyric
Tyrannosaurus Sex
Shining Legend

Post by Cyric »

Spoiler
Not to drag this off-topic, but I had a couple of trees fall in my yard doing some damage to the backyard deck and the kids' swings set. The insurance company came out to address that and noticed an issue with our roof. They took the stance that we were willfully ignoring basic house maintenance and, as such, unless we address the issues they found in a timely fashion (by August 15th), they will cancel the homeowners insurance.

It's going to be closer to $6000US to get things fixed. If it weren't for that, this wonderful place would get my financial support.
I :love: SFC.
Founder of SFC's Kids Club - Proudly Brainwashing children since 2004.

Author of The Ballad of Vankar

Initial Owner - Thief Trophy SFCRPGv2

Felix qui potest rerum cognoscere causas...
BlackDragon480
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by BlackDragon480 »

I've thrown my support in, whilst I don't visit near as often as I'd like anymore, the site and the forums still hold a special place in my heart. :love:
Thousand

Post by Thousand »

You still got my support :)
Doomblade66
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Doomblade66 »

We love you Moogie ! This site is the only real Shining site on the net, and clearly the best / largest. May it ever "Shine" on :thumbsup:

* seriously - Moogie is pretty - if I recall a pic from ages ago :love: - and also very cool to actually be a shining fan and throw this much effort and time into the site and all the aspects of it. It's a very good community too, and I will definitely toss in some cash to help keep it going !!

* * Edit * * - I just sent a decent amount Moogster. I hope it helps ;)
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Thanks so much for all the donations folks! I always forget to allow for PayPal fees when they come through, so with fees deducted we are now just a few dollars away from target (probably about $5 allowing for fees) :)
Cullsoft
Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Post by Cullsoft »

And there's a few dollars more.

For the record, despite also being relatively inactive aside from a few odd things (notably Lord Oddeye Sama's Shop RPGRP), I'd be very sad to see this place dissapear. Whilst general support for the classic series may be feeling downtrodden due to events in recent years, this place still feels like a firm bastion of support for those games, as well as proudly raised banner for all Western fans showing they still love the series. SFC keeps the faith alive.

(It's also the key place for organising SOUK, and despite troubles with arranging meets of late I'd hate for them to die out too)
Doomblade66
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Doomblade66 »

Is cullsoft - Culley O'Fursdom ? I forget ? Also - what is SOUK ?
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Thanks all, we have now reached the target & I have requested the invoice so I can pay it right away! :D
Doomblade66
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Doomblade66 »

Yay ! All hail Goddess Moogie ! Sustainer of all things Shining ! ;)
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Ah, it's not me - I'm just a lowly beggar! It's all ye kind folk who contribute to keep the site running. So thank YOU!
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

That was quick. I blinked and missed it.

I would have been hard pressed to contribute this year though anyway. If the HMRC get their way I'll be paying back a fair chunk of money that I simply don't have.

I don't want to see SFC disappear. It's my e-home - my first port of call on the web. I don't care that the series that inspired it is essentially dead to us - SFC is about more than shining games now. We're a unique community, and I'd hate to see it disappear just because we've been orphaned by the series that originally brought us here. It's kinda like finding out that you got shipwrecked and the ship you'd been sailing for years is irretrievably sunk, but you're shipwrecked with the best people you've ever met, so the ship doesn't seem so important anymore.
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator

SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
SFCW Gaiden- Shining Souls: Ragengo Image
Mupen64 Man
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Mupen64 Man »

I too would have hated if SFC was no longer around, like everyone else the Shining series holds a place dear in my heart, and would hate to see something like it go. Why, if this site went down, there would be no shining in the darkness that is the internet without the shining series. (Pardon my corny analogy.)

I am by no means the most vocal or active user on this forum, I am mostly a lurker, but I would have chipped in if this message came a week later, my pay is on the 31st. At any rate, here's to another year. :)
You can find me at Emulator-Zone Forums as well.
Xiados
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Xiados »

Someone should have donated to remove the no FF rule. It seems archaic.
Mupen64 Man
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Mupen64 Man »

Xiados join date is September 16 2004, MXC join date is September 17 2004.
You both live in Ohio. Huh. Small world.
You can find me at Emulator-Zone Forums as well.