Shining Force III: Shining Force 3 Savefile Editor - Current Ver 0.85

Last updated: 26/07/2010

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

ramos501

Re: Shining Force 3 Savefile Editor - Current Ver 0.85

Post by ramos501 »

I'm downloading Net framework 2.0 and I'll probably need a bit of help afterwards...as the only person who knows and plays shining force in my country, Zambia, Africa, Sir I'd like to say you rock!!! :)
Tarrus

Post by Tarrus »

wow! In Zambia! Welcome friend!
ramos501

Post by ramos501 »

Tarrus wrote:wow! In Zambia! Welcome friend!
Thanks!!! I still have my fondest memories of when I played Shining force one and fought dark dragon....my first ever RPG....I was regarded as weird whenever I spoke of this game to my friends but to heck with them lol they'll never know what they missed out on.... ;)
Miang

Post by Miang »

I don't know if I posted this already but, is there a way to have Basanda, Fiale, Dessheren and other villains in my roster? I mean, not as monsters, but as actual characters via replace or something? I rememeber when I first saw this tool. I was drooling when I thought I would be able to have the Bloodrains or the High Priests as characters and actually be able to level them and equip them but I guess that will stay as a dream.

Also, is any decent editor out there just like the Caravan for SF2, but for SF3?
T300
Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Post by T300 »

Is BoneIdol still with us?
Rhexis

Post by Rhexis »

Wow. I just downloaded this and may I say, it is so freaking wonderful. The entire UI is so friendly and everything is so easy to use. I actually just downloaded this just to have a look at my friendship levels, but I got so much more. I'm actually tempted to delete it off my computer because I'm afraid I might just use it to edit my friendship levels just to skip the grinding. I told myself I won't use any form of cheats in this game but this is just too good. Good job anyway! Must have took a long time!
Lord Kane
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Lord Kane »

I recently found out 2 locations that are missing in the editor. These are the 2 last battles of chapter 2 in scenario 1, the train battles. The editor "said", the battle inside the train is location "e" and the battle on top is location "f". This should be reported to the author. ;)

And here's again a big thanks to you, BoneIdol, for making this awesome editor!!! ;)
Bo.Did.
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Bo.Did. »

Rhexis wrote:Wow. I just downloaded this and may I say, it is so freaking wonderful. The entire UI is so friendly and everything is so easy to use.
Wonderful doesn't even begin to describe it. I was hesitant to try this for the reasons you stated, but in order to balance certain characters I gave it a try and it's opened up many new possibilities for playing the game...like giving AI Donhort a movement of 2! :D

I haven't read the entire topic, and I was wondering if anyone could recall any mention of the possibility of adding an option to edit a weapon's special property(s). (assuming it's at all feasible)

For example, many weapons like rapiers and arrows had added strengths against enemies in the later scenarios that weren't present in scenario 1; I think that would be a change worth making. Or tweak properties at will, i.e. make the Leviathan sword strong against beasts like the Dragon lance, or remove the demon property of rapiers so they aren't so overpowered. This would be a great way to add challenge as well, by removing all weapon-based bonuses - for allies, enemies, or both.

I don't know if BoneIdol still visits here but I sent him a PM as well; it's the only thing I thought of adjusting that wasn't accounted for.
RikaPSO
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by RikaPSO »

Bo.Did. wrote:
Rhexis wrote:Wow. I just downloaded this and may I say, it is so freaking wonderful. The entire UI is so friendly and everything is so easy to use.
Wonderful doesn't even begin to describe it. I was hesitant to try this for the reasons you stated, but in order to balance certain characters I gave it a try and it's opened up many new possibilities for playing the game...like giving AI Donhort a movement of 2! :D

I haven't read the entire topic, and I was wondering if anyone could recall any mention of the possibility of adding an option to edit a weapon's special property(s). (assuming it's at all feasible)

For example, many weapons like rapiers and arrows had added strengths against enemies in the later scenarios that weren't present in scenario 1; I think that would be a change worth making. Or tweak properties at will, i.e. make the Leviathan sword strong against beasts like the Dragon lance, or remove the demon property of rapiers so they aren't so overpowered. This would be a great way to add challenge as well, by removing all weapon-based bonuses - for allies, enemies, or both.

I don't know if BoneIdol still visits here but I sent him a PM as well; it's the only thing I thought of adjusting that wasn't accounted for.
That requires modifying the game itself. I'm pretty sure that information isn't in the save file.
Also the advantage on certain enemy types with a weapon type would have to be modified and not the weapon itself I think.

I hope Bone Idol is doing well. o-o
Bo.Did.
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Bo.Did. »

RikaPSO wrote:That requires modifying the game itself. I'm pretty sure that information isn't in the save file.
Also the advantage on certain enemy types with a weapon type would have to be modified and not the weapon itself I think.

I hope Bone Idol is doing well. o-o
Thanks for the reply RikaPSO; that's one less thing to wonder about. I thought element types might have been part of the data found on a file and therefore up for modification, but wasn't sure. (Not changing the elemental strength-weakness relationships themselves, but what specific added elements a weapon has; something that wasn't fully implemented until scenarios 2 & 3) Oh well, the editor's still an astounding app.

I hope BoneIdol is doing well too, wherever he/she may be.
MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

does anyone find an Option to make Weapons like e.g. the Justice Sword and other "Hero Only" Sc1 & 2 Weapons permanently Equippable for others? i just find the Option to modify the equipped Weapon
Sorinev

Post by Sorinev »

I love Shining Force 3, but I haven't played it that much in a very long time. I really just wanted to chime in to say that Boneidol's notes on the structure of the internal and external ram files (padding, block headers, 4 byte padding at start of each block, etc.) were very helpful and will allow me to make my own savefile editor be cross-emulator.

I'm making a Dragon Force savefile editor (80% or so done, but it's console based and written in C right now; c++ with GUI forthcoming...), and I too unknowingly started development by using a SSF Hook Backup file, which I didn't know at the time was unique to SSF. I went to start investigating support for using internal and external ram backup files, but found they were structured differently. After searching for several hours, I finally came across Boneidol's post here (already had read the thread some months back...forgot about that post) where he described the structure. So I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the notes.

Speaking of notes, I'm trying to figure out how SSF stores the date. I know where it is, I just can't decipher the representation. The standard Saturn method in the internal/external ram files (the padded ones with block headers, etc) that the other emulators use is simply storing the date as a 4-byte number representing the number of minutes elapsed since midnight on Jan-1-1980. For example, 01/01/1980 + 01 06 3E A3 (17,186,467 minutes) = Sept/04/2012 01:07AM, which is the exact date shown in game for that particular Dragon Force save.

But I still can't figure out the SSF Hook Backup version, because it isn't storing it in the same way. I tried little endian, big endian, straight forward, straight backward, etc. No dice.
aaaaaaf93

Post by aaaaaaf93 »

BoneIdol wrote:The engineers responsible for the Saturn's internal/external memory structure either must have either been f***ing morons or had to deal with some REALLY crappy hardware (I'm choosing the latter for the sake of my sanity). Just about everything to do with the Saturn's long term memory is retarded.

For starters, every odd byte of the Saturn's memory is used as padding. I'd imagine this is a hassle free way to ensure the Saturn's memory hasn't been corrupted (since you could just check if every odd byte is the correct value), but the downside is that it HALVES THE AVAILABLE STORAGE SPACE.
I apologize if this is bumping an old topic, I was pointed here from another forum, but I have to reply to this bit since it is technically incorrect FUD.

The backup sram is 32kbyte on the Saturn and 512kbyte on save carts. As in, these are the physical sizes of the flash chips inside the hardware. They turn up as 2x that because the data is mapped only to the odd bytes. So no, the storage space is not halved, you are just reading it wrong.

Also, the way the SRAM stores which sector is which is actually quite good in the short-term. A better solution would be to use a fixed TOC, but that would waste much more space even if the sram would be otherwise empty. If you want to check a terribly wasteful SRAM system, look to the playstation 1 instead.
Pappets
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Pappets »

I gave to Fiale and to the statue of elbessem the Spark spell level 3. When they cast it, it looks awesome!! Anyone tried it?
GaresTaylan

Post by GaresTaylan »

Anyone know where else I can download this? When I try to download from Mediafile it just sits at "starting" and never moves.

Post by siesoahoratellamo »

I tryed to open a scenario 1 savefile from statesave/saturn , but always appear the msg this doesn't appear to be a compatible savefile.
Any ideas ?
thanks
Wesker187

Post by Wesker187 »

getting same issue
Sorinev

Post by Sorinev »

siesoahoratellamo wrote:I tryed to open a scenario 1 savefile from statesave/saturn , but always appear the msg this doesn't appear to be a compatible savefile.
Any ideas ?
thanks
Wesker187 wrote:getting same issue
I have the source code, and while it's not a language that I know, it's very close to the ones I do know. So if you guys can be more detailed about the specifics (which emulator, what the exact file is, etc), I might be able to help. And if you guys could send me the savefile, I could also try running it through the debugger and see if I can figure out what's going on.
alex_man
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by alex_man »

some bug on the scenario 3 party I can't watch it but scenario 1 & 2 you can
http://postimg.org/image/t5p4ugz3t/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lod757

Post by lod757 »

i have the same issue loading my scenario 2 file ? does it not work with translation patch ? i was able to use the editor fine in the first one but now keeps throwing errors. what to do ?