General Chatter: Make sure you don't post Shining Force videos.

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Parn
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Make sure you don't post Shining Force videos.

Post by Parn »

Apparently Sega doesn't like free publicity anymore.

Hey Fujii Mutsuhiro. You're a shithead. I'm pretty sure my 3 minute video clip had absolutely no impact on sales of Shining Force III Scenario 3, past, present, or future. I'm sure your strategy of going after what little of your fanbase is left will pay off extremely well. Assholes.

Guess I better take down the rest of my Sega videos. I now have two copyright strikes against my account. One more and my Youtube account gets shut down. I could easily file a counter-notification and it is unlikely they'd sue me, but I see little point in bothering.
whiterose
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Make sure you don't post Shining Force videos.

Post by whiterose »

Wow. Sega really doesn't like non-Japanese shining force fans, do they? :I

Sorry you were hit with that, Parn.

I fear for other Shining Force LP's on youtube, now. =\
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

Every video I have is Shining Force-related.

Probably won't be long until mine get hit with the same.
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator
SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
Parn
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Parn »

I think what made me really aggravated was that I had to pass an "Understanding How Copyright Works" test on Youtube.com before I could use my account any further, only to find out after passing it that it was Sega that had gone after me. I was in complete and utter shock that it was, of all things, two Shining Force III videos that were the reason.
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

Eh well, we all knew that sega has become a shell of its former self.

The optimistic side of me would like to believe that if they're going after SF3 videos that maybe they're planning to rerelease it.

Then the rational side of me kicks that side of me in the face and reminds me that we live in this world and not an ideal one.
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator
MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

Racist!

But yeah, that's pretty lame. The only excuse they have is if they're about to port SF3
ehow22
Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Post by ehow22 »

Was it just gameplay or was there commentary added in? Pretty stupid to claim copyright since you're pretty much advertising their product for them.....for free. :shifty:
Parn
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Parn »

Just gameplay.

At this point though, as much as I loved Shining Force 3, if they ported it, I wouldn't buy it. I'm literally fed up with Sega. A company that goes out of their way to f*ck with their fanbase is just mindblowing to me, and I'm more than happy to take my business elsewhere.
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

#^%$*&^%*&%$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got it too. I am completely done with Sega. They make no attempt to pull the fans back in. They just keep pushing them farther away. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. WORST gaming company ever. They'll never see another dime from me (not that they have in the last 5+ years, anyway).
Currently Re-Playing: Shining Force 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Parn
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Parn »

youtube videos of shining the holy ark could potentially impact sales figures you see
Arc_the_Lad
Restless Dreams
Shining Legend

Post by Arc_the_Lad »

The trick is to have commentary, or maybe some text in the videos.

A commentary basically makes the video yours, I've been warned about a couple videos but that's because it was an intro to a game and I wasn't talking at all.

I have some Shining Force 2 vids though, if Sega attacks me I'll attack them right back.

Like I said in the other thread in the SOS section, Sega is just having a big hissy fit and handling things the wrong way. Whatever, let them hoot, I mean, it's not like Sega is going to go bankrupt some time in the next in ten years at this rate.

OH WAIT
Its being invaded by the Otherworld.

A world of nightmarish delusions come to life.

My youtube channel of terrible video game talkthroughs.
MarauderEX

Post by MarauderEX »

I have also had copyright claims filed against my shining videos.
I have been lets playing for around 3 years now, and recently I have focused on the shining series, doing sf2, all 3 scenarios of sf3, shining wisdom, holy ark, resurrection of dark dragon, CD and 3 videos were hit one right after another.
2 holy ark videos and 1 sf3 scenario 3

but the claim looks REALLY funny, as it is "sega" no capitals and its not SEGA of America, Japan, or Europe, just "sega" and doing research on the email address filing it Mr. Fujii Mutsuhiro is listed as special thanks on several sega credits, but the only information I can find is listed as SEGA of America, so why a sega.co.jp email?

and the credits he is listed for are not Shining series games, mostly the SEGA ages collections on ps2, panic on sega cd, bayonetta and a few others.

I contested the claims as if it is legitimately him acting as a SEGA employee he has 14 days to file any legal paperwork to pursue the claim, otherwise my videos get restored and the strike against my account removed. If it is the case that SEGA is cracking down then they will be the first to go after older content and lets plays like this, as most other companies have a silent view on that it is free publicity but I think it is just a rehash of people targeting gameplay videos and the people who make them like what happened to other lets players a few years ago
shinsachiel
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by shinsachiel »

I was even watching that video the other day. I hope they don't take down your sf3 voice actor video.

f*ck Sega.
Kaerou
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kaerou »

At this point I have long ago tossed sega in the same bin as Crapcom. Only they are stupider and don't even really register on my list of games companies.

These idiots have just wrecked their companies. I can only imagine a bunch of old moronic businessmen hijacked the companies long ago and are running them into the ground with no care about their existing gamer fanbase. All they care about is sales, but have no idea of how the game industry works past the technical.

They have no idea how this 'new fangled internet' works and blindly rant and attack 'piracy' and 'copyright infringement' with no real clue about what real piracy or copyright infringement is, and actively encourage it with their business practices. Sega is the absolute worst offender of them all. This is a company that was a big dog that literally metaphorically barked and bit at the people who fed them and never learned from it, shrinking down as nobody wanted to be bit as they fed it anymore until now all that is left is a dessicated old dog that shudders when it moves and might have succumbed to zombiefication, but people are too scared to check for fear of getting bit again. They have shrunk from amongst the biggest of the industry, rubbing shoulders with Nintendo.. to the absolute dregs. All because they were disloyal to their fanbase and attacked them and their developers who dared publish under their name to the extent that all the talent has fled them and all the fans have moved to other companies. They are the absolute worst. If they had cared for their fanbase and developers like Nintendo have (mostly) been, they would have bloomed and still been rubbing shoulders with the big boys and bathing in money. We might have been still playing on sega consoles.

Too stupid and disloyal though.

We will likely only see a real change in the industry when these morons retire / die off of old age. Sadly we'll probably mostly be over the hill by the time that happens too.
Last edited by Kaerou on Mon Nov 19 2012 10:21pm, edited 3 times in total.
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

Oh, look what I just came across when logging into YouTube today...
ATTENTION

We have received copyright complaint(s) regarding material you posted, as follows:

from sega about Shining Force 3 Scenario 3 Playthrough Log - Part 77 - Stephen Walch
Video ID: JCwMlIqLMsc

from sega about Shining Force 3 Scenario 3 Playthrough Log - Part 76 - Stephen Walch
Video ID: iErZk4OqDtI

from sega about Shining Force 3 Scenario 3 Playthrough Log - Part 70 - Stephen Walch
Video ID: km9OQSduC7Y

Please note: Repeat incidents of copyright infringement will result in the deletion of your account and all videos you have uploaded. Please delete any videos for which you do not own the necessary rights, and refrain from uploading infringing videos.

If you are unsure what this means, it is very important that you visit our Copyright Tips guide.

If one of your postings has been misidentified as infringing, you may submit a counter-notification. Information about this process is in our Help Center.

Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material was disabled due to mistake or misidentification may be liable for damages.

For your reference, a copy of this message has been sent to you via email, and can also be located in your Account Warnings page.
Well, they can f*ck right off. Posting videos of a game that they no longer make any money off is as far as I'm concerned, fair game, especially as they were only showing the gameplay.

Like Marauder, I will be contesting this until I get an actual answer as to why they're infringing on anything other than Sega's stupidity.

Edit: Or not, as it means they'd get my address. They're not having that.

Thanks, YouTube.

Edit#2: Just finished deleting all the SF3 and other Shining Force videos I had on YouTube (including the Slade/Synbios Lightwave animations thing too). Another 6 videos, and I could quite easily have had my account suspended.

197 videos, gone in an instant.
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin:
Noma
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Noma »

I'm not surprised by this, to be honest.

Doesn't mean it isn't doughbaggish of them, though. They havent made any money off these games in how many years?
Last edited by Noma on Fri Nov 16 2012 10:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

I've gone through and delisted all of my videos. Unless they've already harvested the links to them, they won't find them.

We'll see if I get any notifications in the next few days.
Hacks
------
RPG Gallery
Ansa
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Ansa »

Wow what bullshit, you know what the sad part is? They have to pay someone to look for these videos, find them, and request youtube to take them down.

What the f*ck.
LordKira
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by LordKira »

Noma wrote:I'm not surprised by this, to be honest.

Doesn't mean it is doughbaggish of them, though. They havent made any money off these games in how many years?
That exact same reason though can be used for reasoning on why they shouldn't be removing these videos. I could understand lets plays or that of newer titles being removed. But something this old, that nobody is currently making any money off of, I don't see the issue with. What does the company (sega) gain by removing these videos? Nothing, unless its as stated earlier. They are doing a rerelease of Shining Force 3. I don't see that happening though. If that's the case then the only ones losing out on anything are the creators and fans of these videos.
Dorsk8199
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Dorsk8199 »

Did you guys have ads attached to the videos? I could see if they were doing this because you were trying to make money off of their copyrighted material, but if you were offering it for free then I don't see the problem.