Shining Force Feather Translation Project: Translations in progress

Update thread

Forum for the Shining Force Feather Translation Project team to discuss progress. More translators always welcome!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Weyu

Re: Translations in progress

Post by Weyu »

I uploaded the 4 documents I translated so far under Help & Tutorials\Translations.
Feel free to take a look and comment about the quality of the translation, things with the style/code you noticed. :)
Moogie
Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Really fantastic work Weyu, it all looks great to me! Very high quality, so very pleased to have you on board :D

Just one thing I may as well mention while I think of it, in File200 the first couple of lines appear to be battle
goals (win/lose conditions), I guess that's from a tutorial battle and there may be others which have these goals.
<Text Start="28" End="62">Repel all Key Guardians</Text>
<Text Start="62" End="80">Withdrawal of all allies</Text>

Although the lose condition translates to Withdrawal of all allies, when I did the battle goal files I opted to use "All allies defeated" since that seems to make more sense to the player. I just felt defeat made more sense as you can't choose to withdraw individual characters from the battle. But I guess that's one we all need to discuss & decide on. I just thought it might be easiest to keep them consistent for now and we can always change them later. Certainly not a complaint though! :D
Check me out on Twitch! :excited:
http://www.twitch.tv/ShiningMoogie
Simpelicity
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Simpelicity »

Can I have access to the tutorials too? That plus the item descriptions is gonna make playing through the game that much easier. At least I'll know what stuff does.
Weyu

Post by Weyu »

Moogie wrote: Although the lose condition translates to Withdrawal of all allies, when I did the battle goal files I opted to use "All allies defeated" since that seems to make more sense to the player. I just felt defeat made more sense as you can't choose to withdraw individual characters from the battle.
Thanks for your input, I've changed it in the document.

@Simpelicity: I've looked through your Connect video, so I got a better idea of how it works now. Huh, I had no idea that this game is semi real-time, that's kinda neat.
I noticed the Burst effect in action as well, from just the text explanation I thought it was something you could level-up by using it regularly, but now I realize it's something that you can build up and strengthen in a battle by keeping the effect up (like Mario jumping on multiple Goombas without touching the floor :P).

I changed that too in the translation so it's more accurate now, and two more texts have been translated.

As for access to the files, you'd better ask Moogie, but I'm sure it's no problem.

Edit: the normal attack explanation is done as well.

By the way, I was wondering if we're keeping any backups of our work. It wouldn't be good if the data was lost somehow and we didn't have anything to go back on.
So we should make a backup regularly unless Google Docs has a built-in feature for that.
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

quick reply as on my way out - I'd suggest we all keep backups of our own work locally, and I'll try to backup from the google drive periodically too.

Regarding access to the Google docs, I'll have to ask StorMyu since he's the project leader and he asked me to keep it to translators only - but as Simpelicity is helping out in another way I expect it's alright for him to see it too. Will contact StorMyu asap :)

x
Simpelicity
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Simpelicity »

I promise it's for personnal use only. And I only intend to read the tutorials and item descriptions, I'll wait until the story is finished translating/coding/etc before even taking a look at it. That is assuming you can't give me access to just those couple things I was asking about. That would actually be ideal, but if it's too complicated...

Also, I'm not gonna just put the text out there, but once I know how things work, I imagine I can at least clarify things for the viewers? Tell 'em what the items do and how the fighting works, because I realised I did a few mistakes myself, and other things I just didn't know about (that Burst effect thing for instance. I assume it means the trigger to when the attack charges up is you using the same attack a few times in a row? I was slowly getting to that conclusion, but the amount of times you need to use it varies. Maybe according to FC cost. But I'm getting way sidetracked here).

If I need to be doing more for the project, maybe I could read and give whatever input I might have? If something sounds weird or whatever, I dunno. I can't read the japanese version, but maybe I can point out what sounds really weird in english and outta place or needs clarification or something. I dunno, Just throwing ideas out. If he doesn't want to it's not a big problem, I'll just keep going the way I was.
Raulsen

Post by Raulsen »

Dear gah... Talk about hectic. >_> Sorry I haven't been able to help much- college has been pretty packed. I dunno' about anything in the future, but I'll at least try and have that bit from the beginning translated before the end of the semester. I swear, it's like a frikkin' time vortex.... -_-
Weyu

Post by Weyu »

Hi,

Just a little status update: I've been busy the past few days, but I'll probably be able to finish the tutorial section in the next couple days and move on from there.
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

You diamond :) And never worry about being busy and not having much time for the project, that's what real life does. Myself I've been working evenings and weekends as well as my normal daytime hours the last couple of weeks with unexpected projects & tight deadlines. I'm exhausted! But I've been given a couple of days off this week to make up for it so will be hoping to work on some more videos myself then too!
Weyu

Post by Weyu »

Hey Moogie, I'm still working on this.

I recall you mentioned something about the "@" signs that they had to stay in place.
I was pondering about them for a while, and when I looked up a battle in the LP videos, I noticed they are line breaks as you said.

In the Japanese script it looks something like:
敵モンスターを@  全て撃退せよ
But in the game itself it looks like:
敵モンスターを
------------全て撃退せよ
(the hyphens are to simulate the gap)

In Japanese it looks OK since it's relatively long, but translated into English it's only a 3 word line: "Defeat all enemies". Following the same format it would look like
Defeat
----------all enemies
In this case it's pretty short, so I think it's better to just keep it on one line. What do you say?
Also, after thinking about it for a bit, I think that "撃退" is probably better translated as "defeat" rather than the "repel" I used before, since the former makes more sense.
It's similar to that withdrawal/defeat thing you mentioned earlier. This word was used a few times before in objectives, so I'll backtrack change them there too.

I'm a perfectionist to a fault, so little things like this are always on my mind. "Are there no spelling/grammatical mistakes in the translation?", "Is there a better way to translate this?", etc.
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

For things like that, it's probably better to wait to think about it until the editing phase, so we can see exactly how everything looks before shifting it around. Least, that's what I think, anyway.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Cailin's Character Sheet

SFCW Fiona's Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Weyu

Post by Weyu »

Alright, I guess we can always change things later for the best result.

And all of the texts in the help & tutorial section are translated now, there are just a few minor things that I wasn't completely sure of.
I made a separate thread so people can ask questions, feel free to take a look there and ask or answer questions. :)
ShadowDragon
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by ShadowDragon »

really happy a few people are working on this. I eagerly await a 100% complete patch.
Weyu

Post by Weyu »

Hey guys, I haven't been around here for a while, but I'm still wanting to work on this. I've been somewhat busy with various things, but I'll start working on it again after New Year's.

And happy holidays to everyone!
Weyu

Post by Weyu »

So what is everyone working on nowadays?
I'd like to get some translating done again, but wouldn't be efficient if I started on a section that's already in progress.

Edit:

@post below: I just did quick reply twice. How's things?
Last edited by Weyu on Sat Jan 05 2013 8:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Simpelicity
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Simpelicity »

You posted twice in a row in the same thread? Can you tell me how to do that? I failed at it a couple times already.

My videos stopped for the holidays, they'll be back momentarily. But that's not what you were asking for, sorry.
Simpelicity
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Simpelicity »

I just saw your edit Weyu because I hadn't come back here because I didn't see any new posts, sorry. Things are doing all right. I just entered what I decided was endgame (I just put a hole in a giant rock, spoiler free I hope you see what I'm talking about) so I decided to stop using all characters and just pick a team already. Still trying to get used to the new schedule though. It feels a little harder to produce all the videos I want to constantly, but maybe it'll settle down after a while.
ShadowDragon
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by ShadowDragon »

How much of this is finished? I was just wondering.
Sui

Post by Sui »

What are the odds people are still working on this? I have been e-mailing back and forth with StorMyu since it's easier for than me coming here (comes to my phone and whatnot), and StorMyu sent me some files to translate that I've been working on (it's mainly been stuff like items, weapons, enemies, spells, etc + descriptions so far, which I assumed weren't done yet if he sent me a file with them and told me to translate them >.>). I'm starting to run into things more and more now where it would be nice to know what other people working on translation are doing (names of people and places to localize, mainly, since that tends to differ significantly depending on who you ask). I just finished file #5 of 21 in this package, whatever that means, but. Yeah. If anybody is still actively working on translating that wants to work with me so we're translating certain things, that would be fantastic. E-mail is sui892001@gmail.com, otherwise PM me and I'll probably see it in a few days from now. >.>
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

any news?