Shining Force II Hacking: Shining Force 2: A New Adventure!

I am very proud of this.

A place for Shining Force 2 hack discussion, editing tools, new hacks etc.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Krystal Rat

Re: Shining Force 2: A New Adventure!

Post by Krystal Rat »

Well, actually I added Brave Apple effect to unbreakable Chirrup Sandals ;) so I can level all my unused characters easily and choose suitable party for each battle. That's why I'll ditch Peter and Kiwi soon until they'll be more useful! :excited:
Space... The Final Frontier...

Post by Master of Octopi »

I haven't played ANY of the hacks for SFII, despite a lot of recommendations from friends and people on this forum. Just never interested me.

But, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to check this one out.

It's obvious that you put a hell of a lot of work into this. Whether I'll like it or not is something different altogether, but you've pierced the veil of my laziness enough to actually make me try this one, so already you're a winner :thumbsup:

That said, I've never tried a hack before. Are there instructions in the download, or instructions somewhere on this site? I looked around, but couldn't find any...

Thanks!

EDIT: Ha! Figured it out, and I'm playing it now. I'll let you know what I think as I get into the meat of the game; I've got all day to play today.
Dark Claw
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Dark Claw »

Peter is very much an up hill character, but if you keep working on him end game he is almost as good as he was in the original.

Chester was designed to be more of a DEF/HP tank.

Glad some of you all are enjoying it.
Shining Tactics

Check it out you won't be disappointed.

:mwahaha:
the tall guy
Pyromaniac
Shining Legend

Post by the tall guy »

I'm adding this to the list of hacks I plan on checking out. I still just think it's phenominal what people can do with stuff like this. It sounds pretty neat. :)
“I can resist everything except temptation”
Lima

Post by Lima »

Chester being an intended tank doesn't really help when you can't do enough damage with him to get him those levels for HP/Def. If a force member can't damage, they can't level, they get ditched. :p

Also, I just got a Goddess Staff from the rare finds after Creeds. Looks like I just broke this hack. Sarah the Cleric is whipping out that massive AoE heal every single turn for +25 EXP a pop and +15 HP to everyone targeted. :shock:

edit: btw, saw a scene in SF2 I'd never seen before. Going to the cliff with my cannon and dynamite in Caravan storage, Astral called Bowie an idiot and caused Bowie's avatar to shrink down to half size. Hilarious. Wonder what would have happened if I had the fairy still in my party after that battle.
Dark Claw
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Dark Claw »

I hesitantly added a donation section. Please I am not begging for handouts just if you really enjoy this hack and want to give back then please do. Check the first post for a full explanation.
Shining Tactics

Obob
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Obob »

I wouldn't do that if I were you. The legal precedent for giving out free ROM hacks is already a little shaky. Asking for donations potentially opens things up for Sega (or whoever currently owns the rights) to start a lawsuit.
Dark Claw
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Dark Claw »

You think so? To be fair I am not offering a rom of any kind I am just offering a patch for a rom. The patch is my intellectual property not theirs. Or at least that was my reasoning behind it.
Shining Tactics

Obob
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Obob »

Yes, I think so. I know you're not selling the patch, but I think this is very dangerous legal ground.
Dark Claw
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Dark Claw »

I am sure it is dangerous, but again this my intellectual property. And quite frankly I doubt Sega's going to rain down a class action lawsuit on me for this.
Shining Tactics

Obob
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Obob »

That's an awfully bold attitude.

Besides, this hack was created with editors made by other people. They didn't liscense those editors to be used for paid (or donation-based) hacks. It's every bit as much their intellectual property as yours. And Sega has the biggest claims to the intellectual property of all, since they made the engine this is all based on.

There's also something to be said about the potential of affecting the rest of the community with this. If Sega were to come down on you (and I admit its a long shot they would) they are likely to come down on the entire hacking community at the same time.
Dark Claw
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Dark Claw »

Point taken I will remove the post. Though I don't think I anything would of come of it had I left it up there.
Shining Tactics

Obob
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Obob »

Thank you, and sorry to be a dick about it. The potential fallout from this is just far greater than any potential gain that could come out of it, though.
Colonel M
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Colonel M »

If you actually "created" the game (as in used an engine created by yourself, etc), then adding a donate button would be of no real issue here. Though, like Obob said, while you had the inspiration of the hack, it still wouldn't be "possible", shall we say, without those who made the hack files (so BNC and co) and of course Sega being the main inspiration. The law suit may not completely open on Sega's eyes, but other people who created the programs for allowing you to make the hack may frown upon asking for donations anyway.
Thou Shalt Not Replace Me!

Shining Force II Log (No Egress, No Deaths, Super Mode

Youtube Videos (Up To Battle 7)
Dumbest Quote Ever Seen:
I think you are the only person I know who uses Pegasus Knights like Archers. Everyone else seems to use Knights as frontline fighters with a ranged option.
What can I say? I'm a bored man.
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

I can't remember if I started the game on Super or not...are the lesser demons supposed to have attack > 80? They hurt >.<

I'm in the cave, and I need to do this battle. I really hate it, but once I'm done with this one I should fly through the rest pretty quickly, since I like most of the rest of the battles to come. Janet is the best archer right now, so I kept her over the others. Slade still isn't promoted, and is at the end of the line, but he's still dealing a *little* bit of damage...so if I don't get him to 20 (which I should if he stays alive...gets one hit by everything right now) by the time I get higins he'll definitely be out. If I get him promoted I can get him caught up for sure. I'll get back on this soon...I've been preoccupied playing rotdd lately =)
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
Obob
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Obob »

Yeah, you're definitely on Super.
Colonel M
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Colonel M »

Lesser Demons have roughly the same Atk as Willard, to compare. Willard has 77 to the Lesser Demon's 75-77 (can't really recall off the top of my head). Still, gotta find it sort of funny that you made it this far, so at least the game is possible to beat on Super (but I beat it's a pain to play every battle :damnit:).
Thou Shalt Not Replace Me!

Shining Force II Log (No Egress, No Deaths, Super Mode

Youtube Videos (Up To Battle 7)
Dumbest Quote Ever Seen:
I think you are the only person I know who uses Pegasus Knights like Archers. Everyone else seems to use Knights as frontline fighters with a ranged option.
What can I say? I'm a bored man.
Obob
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Obob »

Lesser demons should have 68 attack normally, but 84 on super.
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

Well so far the only big issue was the harpy battle...I had to fudge with save states to beat it...though I think it's doable if the force is in better shape than mine. Other than that it hasn't been impossible. I beat chess in my first try, anyways. I have a feeling it may be too hard to beat without some egress-leveling, but so far I haven't done any.
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
Osnappar

Post by Osnappar »

Thank you Dark Claw, this hack was a lot of fun. I originally wanted to post after the Harpy battle for obvious reasons but had to register first.

I've had a few battles with only two survivors, I think the first was the harpy battle with Bowie and Sarah. More recently it was the Odd Eye battle with Bowie and Kiwi. I was playing this battle late and night and screwed up bad early on trying to snipe with my fliers and ended up getting most of them killed. The fight against Odd Eye himself was a battle of attrition as I tried to burn down his support and succeeded with only 4 left. I can't remember the fourth but he died pretty early leaving me Sarah, Kiwi, and Bowie.

Sarah was tank/healer four a couple turns before falling leaving me alternating attacking and escaping to heal with Bowie/Kiwi. I used all my healing and angel drops then used the holy sword until it broke then again so I lost it. I thought there was no way to win but Kiwi then survived 2 attacks with 1 hp left and an attack from him and Bowie (who was also in the one shot range with ~33hp) barely finished him off.