SFIII Translation Project: Project Website - sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com

http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Ghaladen

Project Website - sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com

Post by Ghaladen »

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before or not, but I'm wondering if there should be an actual site dedicated to this project, and not just a forum section. Nothing personal to Moogie's site, it just seems the project would get more attention if it had it's own site. If this is of any interest of the creators, I'm a web developer and I'd be happy to lend my skills.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: A website for the project

Post by legalize freedom »

Personally, I would like to see the project have a permanent page or two here at SFC. Specifically a place where the patch and info about its use and the project in general could be located and readily available. A trusted url where we could clearly state is the official page and all others are not.

A statement will be provided in the game itself (probably on the Now Loading... screen) with a url to get the latest version, no pirating message, etc. So a dedicated url would be ideal.

I would not, however, consider this page being outside of SFC unless it was requested as such by Moogie. This is the proper home for the project and I will always be loyal to SFC. I may be at liberty to lobby Moogie to set aside a url and provide templates for the pages. I've been meaning to anyway...

I doubt any professional web developing will be needed, but your offer is appreciated. Probably just text, download links and a couple of pics. We'll see what happens. Thanks for bringing it up.
Moogie
Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Being that I am also a web developer by career, I would be more than happy to create and host a site for the project. I don't think anyone ever asked before!

This will be even easier when I have finished developing the site CMS as it can then be used for the translation site too. Until then I can set something up though, with some degree of self-updateability for you :) Would be nice to make a few design ideas for the site as a bit of a break from my coding at the moment!

Am out today but will have a tinker as soon as I can :D

What subdomain do you want for the site? sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com?
Check me out on Twitch! :excited:
http://www.twitch.tv/ShiningMoogie
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

I don't know if it needs a subdomain. I guess if we plan to have mulitple pages (Progress update, download/instructions, maybe back story and credits) then we would need one...? Please forgive my lack of web development knowledge...

If it can be given an alias ie "www.SF3Translation.com" then the actual address wouldn't matter as much. I would be willing to donate the url purchase amount if we needed to buy the name. Obviously the shorter and easier to remember, the better, but I would also like to see SFC in the address, so that is up to your professional opinion.

Thanks for putting this together!
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Little bit busy this week with work & other duties but will get on to this just as soon as I can :) It certainly ain't forgotten!

Initially I can set up the site on an SFC subdomain & then we can get a proper domain to point to it - that way either address can be used.
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Had a bit of time to tinker with a site design today, although I'm on my laptop and don't have a decent copy of the SFIII logo to hand (and no point wasting time making one when I have it at home)...

The main contents area on the left hand side has just got some basc fake text in to fill it out. Haven't started to play with the layout for that yet.

Also the colours may be a bit off as my laptop screen hasn't been calibrated to match my usual monitor settings! Can fix this at home too.

Quite pleased with it so far, but welcome constructive crits... or compliments ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Wow! That looks great!
Cullsoft
Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Post by Cullsoft »

Just chipping in, although not really part of the project)

OoooooooOooooooooOoooooooOoooooooh nice.

My immediate thought is that it's fairly different brand/styling to the SFC site; I was thinking it might be something more "in brand" if it was going to be part of SFC. It does look nice, though... very nice.

Only immediate suggestions I might make are...
- The links and titles look like they're likely to be images rather than text. From an SEO point of view, these might be best suited as being text (hey, TONS of people are probably going to be hunting for this on Google when word gets out... and isn't it out already?). At work we've had a couple of project lately where the designers wanted to have content and titles in a fancy font, but we convinced them to go with something that could look good and be in a user-friendly text font to bump up their SEO, and they liked the idea.
- The colour scheme feels like it's nearly there... though at present feels like it's in the "different coloured boxes to tell them apart in the layout and coding stage". Not sure what to do about this off the top of my head, and I'm hesitant about suggesting anything if it's still WIP and you're still sorting out the colours.
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Swalchy »

Culley O'Fursdom @ Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:48 pm) wrote: My immediate thought is that it's fairly different brand/styling to the SFC site; I was thinking it might be something more "in brand" if it was going to be part of SFC. It does look nice, though... very nice.
It must be remembered that Moogie is currently in the middle of a re-design, IIRC.
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin:
Cullsoft
Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Post by Cullsoft »

Swalchy @ Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:53 pm) wrote: It must be remembered that Moogie is currently in the middle of a re-design, IIRC.
Good point - with all the stuff about SFC's new CMS and getting content updates made, I'd forgotten/missed that the site was getting a rebranding too... >.>
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Short on time at the moment. My nan passed away on Sunday and we are very busy with funeral arrangements etc :(

Thanks for the input Culley :) As this is just an initial design proof it's only graphical and the links would of course be textual wherever possible (don't forget I was a web designer/developer by career from the age of 16, learned a bit about search engines in the last 11 years!). Thankfully SFC has a great ranking (it helps if the content really is relevant and in abundance! ... I always hate having to try to get good rankings for a site that doesn't really deserve them) and any subsites of it should feed off that to a degree.

Having seen the design on my design monitor now (as I said, laptop hasn't been calibrated to match) they aren't quite as I saw them when I designed it and I will be fixing this as soon as I can.

Must go for now, have to have a clean around the house for mum before the funeral director arrives in half an hour.
Cullsoft
Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Post by Cullsoft »

Shoot, sorry to hear that. :( My condolences and best wishes for the funeral.

Don't worry, you know I'm fully aware about your might in the web game - just trying to lend a hand by making a few suggestions and taking the opportunity to flex my young and vibrant web admin/maintenance muscles. ;) (Heck, I'm still riding a high after being a key point of a major global web launch last week!)
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Just found a few spare minutes to modify the colours a bit so they look right on my main screen. I do hate the way different monitor colour settings can affect the look of a site, but hopefully this looks a bit more balanced as this monitor has been calibrated properly!

Probably not enough time to play with the main content area right now but hopefully next week once the funeral's done, things won't be so hectic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by The_Great_Waffle »

Wow that's pretty neat. Dang me and my lack of computer skills! >shakes fist<
"There is no avoiding war. It can only be postponed to the advantage of others." -Niccolo Machiavelli

"I've got weapons guaranteed to knock those monsters heads off!" -Shop keeper in Guardiana Shining Force 1
Rick
Lionheart
Shining Legend

Post by Rick »

I like it Moogs. Everything is clear and in place. Nothing clashes, and its obvious where each section will start and finish.

I'm not so certain about the bright yellow circle to trigger the download however... the circle just looks kind of... amateur in comparison.

Maybe if the brightness of the yellow was toned down, or it was made a few shades lighter? It could also be the position of the button... I'm not sure

I do understand the point of it being so stuck out, so that people instantly know where to download the patch, but the colour and the style looks like someone just grabbed the circle and buttons in MS Paint. I'm trying not to be horrible, it just doesn't appear as professional as the rest of the site
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie
Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:
masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...
-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----

Post by Ritualofthetrout »

legalize freedom @ Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:10 am) wrote: Personally, I would like to see the project have a permanent page or two here at SFC. Specifically a place where the patch and info about its use and the project in general could be located and readily available. A trusted url where we could clearly state is the official page and all others are not.

A statement will be provided in the game itself (probably on the Now Loading... screen) with a url to get the latest version, no pirating message, etc. So a dedicated url would be ideal.

I would not, however, consider this page being outside of SFC unless it was requested as such by Moogie. This is the proper home for the project and I will always be loyal to SFC. I may be at liberty to lobby Moogie to set aside a url and provide templates for the pages. I've been meaning to anyway...

I doubt any professional web developing will be needed, but your offer is appreciated. Probably just text, download links and a couple of pics. We'll see what happens. Thanks for bringing it up.
Sounds like a good idea. I just updated my site to refer any and all updates to this forum to help avoid any confusion from outdated information. (Which if I contributed to any problems I apologize as I hadn't updated the section of the translation project in a year at least :( ) It will be great to have a site to send people to with all the most accurate and up to date information.
Can anyone point me in the direction of Arc Valley or the Tavern?
The_Dark_Lord
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by The_Dark_Lord »

Sooo........Any update?
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Having forgotten about this over Christmas I have prepped the subdomain for the site and prepped the site skeleton. Just need time to build a mini CMS for it so it can be easily updated.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

It would indeed be convenient if the project had it's own page. Would make checking up on updates for it much easier than having to scroll through forum posts. I'm so excited about this translation, even though I have little idea how I'll be able to play the games once they're complete :( But, this isn't exactly the place to be getting into all of that, I just got a little sidtracked is all :p
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

I believe everyone is happy with the translation site now. Comments are working and it has been streamlined a bit. You can access it at any time in my sig or in the Progress Report thread (among others).

The credits are a work in progress... not just because we're not finished, but also because I still need to research everyone to credit. Additionally, anyone who is listed in the credits can request a different name to be credited (real name, member name, or both).

Thanks again to Moogie for making this happen. Now I just need to get the patch ready to version and we'll be in business.