Shining Force II: Mistakes in Moogie's Guide

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

MXC
Shining Legend

Mistakes in Moogie's Guide

Post by MXC »

We all know that there are some mistakes in Moogie's Guide. I think it would be a good idea to compose them all into this single topic as a good reminder for a quick reference and eventually as a reminder as to what needs to be changed.

So submit mistakes you've found (and how to correct it, if you can). No discussion is really necessary, these are just facts.

(And maybe this deserves a Sticky?)
SirHedge
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Mistakes in Moogie's Guide

Post by SirHedge »

Monster List:
Blue Shaman: "Dispell" is spelled wrong.
Demon: Should be "Bolt 2" rather than "Bolt 3"
Soulsower: "Paralyse" spelled wrong.
Taros: Really should say "Bolt 2" rather than "Bolt", since that's what he uses.
Zeon: Not really an error, but I might label it "Demon Breath 2", just to know its stronger.
Odd Eye: Defense should be listed as "54" rather than "57".
Pyrohydra: Should have "Breathes fire" listed.

And I think it would be a good idea to include all of the different attack powers for the enemies and remove those "??":
Arch Demon: 123
Blue Shaman: 109
Chaos Dragon: 116
Chaos Warrior: 115
Cyclops: 110
Demon: 112
Devil Griffin: 120
Evil Beast: 122
Geshp: 116 AP (with 120 MP)
Hell Hound: 105
Horseman: 110
Hydra: 120
King Galam: 111 AP (with 180 MP)
Mist Demon: 100
Odd Eye: 119 AP (with 160 MP)
Pyrohydra: 126
Reaper: 110
Red Baron: 102
White Dragon: 106
Zeon: 127 AP (with 180 MP)
Zeon Guard: 136 AP (with 150 MP)
Rusty
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Rusty »

SirHedge @ Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:39 pm) wrote: Soulsower: "Paralyse" spelled wrong.
That's not wrong. It's the British spelling.
TheUnknownMarine
Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Post by TheUnknownMarine »

Rusty @ Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:22 am) wrote: That's not wrong. It's the British spelling.
I fail to see the difference.
The greatest evil is apathy, for it perpetuates all others.

http://www.thehungersite.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <= go here and save some lives. Prove you aren't part of the greatest evil.

DragonmasterDon: Have you heard the story of theunknownmarine?
I thought not.
It's not a story people in Mature Discussion would tell you.
SirHedge
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by SirHedge »

Sorry for my ignorance. I was taught Paralyze, and since it was spelled that way for the Chaos Warrior, I figured it was a mistake.
Space King
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Space King »

Sleep. Demon Rod.
SladetheNinja
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by SladetheNinja »

Just a question..why are we making a mistakes topic for this game when we could try to help her complete SFI and the others. (Unless you did, I dunno)
Completed SFI Solos: Balbaroy, Bleu
Current: N/A
MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

SladetheNinja @ Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:02 pm) wrote: Just a question..why are we making a mistakes topic for this game when we could try to help her complete SFI and the others. (Unless you did, I dunno)
Trent has submitted a lot of information concerning Shining Force I to Moogie in the past. None of it has been put up though. Not yet at least. I trust that Trent has done a very good job, so I don't see the need.

You could make similar topics for the other games if you wish though.
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

Yeah, and Moogie's SF2 guide is really the ultimate source for SF2 information, whereas for SF1 there are a few guides that are a lot more comprehensive than hers, with the Sephirstein/Spock Jr. guide probably being the preeminent SF1 source. I suspect this is why she hasn't tended to her SF1 guide as much.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Rusty
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Rusty »

Sephirstein's guide isn't that good, honestly. I mean, it's not horrible, but with a quick glance I've already spotted like 5 or 6 things that are absolutely wrong, and that's not getting into 'which characters are better'. The fact that Vankar scores higher than both Ken and Arthur is a testament to this. He also calls Alef the best mage in the game. :p Simply not true at all. He also gives Amon a 1, which is ridiculous. But opinions aside, it's an 'okay' guide. Not good, just okay.
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

Meh, rating the characters in a Shining Force game(or any tactical RPG, come to think of it) is a fool's errand to begin with.

Point is, it's got nearly all the information on SF1 you could possibly want. Errors happen to even the best of guides - more so, in fact, since they have so much more opportunity for typos with all that additional information. Better to have the information with a few mistakes than to not have it at all.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Rusty
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Rusty »

Though errors also make the guide pointless, since it's supposed to be as accurate as possible. I understand people are prone to mistakes. I'm just saying there are better guides out there.
MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

Less nagging about some Shining Force I guide that isn't Moogie's and more talk about the Shining Force II guide that is Moogie's!
Alpha
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Alpha »

Iirc, the land effect guide isn't correct.
Sarah MMNK99

Post by Sarah MMNK99 »

This is probably just a typo, but for the very first item of the game it says.
search the case to find medical herb.
I assumed this meant the bookcases in the basement, but the item is actually in a vase.
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/830/sarahmmn.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

She probably meant 'vase' actually ;P (v & c are next to each other on the keyboard.) I still didn't notice it. Thanks!
Rune
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Rune »

I believe the wish staff is used for attack, not boost.
Shining Hopeful
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Shining Hopeful »

To the Unknown Marine.

When you call your dictionaries American we'll listen.

Until then feck off.
Trent
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Trent »

MXC @ Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:15 am) wrote: Trent has submitted a lot of information concerning Shining Force I to Moogie in the past. None of it has been put up though. Not yet at least. I trust that Trent has done a very good job, so I don't see the need.

You could make similar topics for the other games if you wish though.
It'll get up there one day, someday. I'll hunt Moogie down if I have to ;P
"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex and rich food. He was healthy, right up to the day he killed himself"

- Johnny Carson
jj_frap
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by jj_frap »

Rusty @ Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:00 am) wrote: Sephirstein's guide isn't that good, honestly.  I mean, it's not horrible, but with a quick glance I've already spotted like 5 or 6 things that are absolutely wrong, and that's not getting into 'which characters are better'.  The fact that Vankar scores higher than both Ken and Arthur is a testament to this.  He also calls Alef the best mage in the game. :p Simply not true at all.  He also gives Amon a 1, which is ridiculous.  But opinions aside, it's an 'okay' guide.  Not good, just okay.
Many of my ratings took into account the fact that I never really spent time power-leveling "weak" characters aside from Bleu and Lyle. I might have done Adam once...I don't remember. I appreciate the consensus on Arthur and accept that as a substantial error, so I will likely give him a place in my force when I do a let's play. I don't know if I can submit an updated guide to that game though...Sephirstein's been banned for over 4 years...Oh well...There's a better one than mine now anyways. :-) A lot of the non-generic information in my guide is too subjective and based on my own experiences with the characters.

It was a good guide in 1999 or so and was certainly the most comprehensive source of SF1 information for a couple years, but you're right about it being deficient nowadays.