Shining Force Neo: A 2nd Shining Force Neo

Which battle system would you prefer?

Discuss Sega's Shining 'Force' RPG for the S*ny Playstation 2.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Geoffrey Duke
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: A 2nd Shining Force Neo

Post by Geoffrey Duke »

SF Neo's departure from its winning origins has resulted in lacklustre sales, taking this once great series down with it. Bravo Sega.

We are still thinking in terms of sales figures, aren't we guys? Let me break it down for you: Action/RPGs = more sales. How many people used this "fact" to soothe the pain of departing from the Strategy/RPGs we all knew and loved?

LMFAO.

This is what happens when you try to cash in on a saturated genre; whereas, Disgaea proved that Sega could have tapped into another lesser explored (in the western world) yet potentially profitable market that had less competition for Sega to worry about.
The weak can only speak of justice but the powerful can deliver it.

The good will inherit the Earth.

Post by Goonboy of Shining Camelot »

You know as well as i do, Duke, that the all knowing Sega never make mistakes :)

As for a sequel? LMFAOLALA

Hell would have to freeze twice for that to happen. Why didn't Sega just get neverland to update RIGLORD SAGA instead? that would have suited their talents more than the abysmal failure of NEO.

If that SHINING FORCE and SAKURA TAISEN pretender(project manager)Tadashi Takezaki wants to continue to make mickey mouse RPGs then why don't he leave Sega and join the biggest mickey mouse RPG maker of them all and leave the real Sega RPGs to people like Smilebit and Overworks.
Geoffrey Duke
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Geoffrey Duke »

People have a habit of mistaking RPGs that sell extremely well with great RPGs. Even hardcore FF fans are pissed with the direction their favourite series has gone in. That just makes me laugh.

We might just have to accept the fact that in this age of big-budget games, there might not be any room left for a new 3D Shining Force tactical RPG. SF Neo disappointed a lot of people, but I'm beginning to wonder if Sega even took notice of that disappointment.

Bowie72
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Bowie72 »

Gah... Neo makes Tears look like a great game. Endlessly pressing circle, and occasionally hitting square or triangle just bores the living F$@& out of me. Hopefully next time around, Sega will make the game that we want, not the game they think will sell better.

Post by Legend of Josh »

Neo isn't the second coming of Christ, but it's not a game that deserves to burn in hell either. Some of you guys are reacting to Neo as if the game itself raped your mother anally and did the classic "teg bag" on her chin and mouth.

In other words, it's not that bad.
“If it’s your dream to be successful in this life without having to lift a finger – imagine the nightmare you’ll encounter if your dream came true” – Legend of Josh

Geoffrey Duke @ Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:34 am) wrote: People have a habit of mistaking RPGs that sell extremely well with great RPGs. Even hardcore FF fans are pissed with the direction their favourite series has gone in. That just makes me laugh.

We might just have to accept the fact that in this age of big-budget games, there might not be any room left for a new 3D Shining Force tactical RPG. SF Neo disappointed a lot of people, but I'm beginning to wonder if Sega even took notice of that disappointment.
Yeah since most people think FF 7 was a classic game...

But why did you say "if Sega took notice?" They can't possible think that the game was a success!?
Geoffrey Duke
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Geoffrey Duke »

I just wonder if Sega even realises that what we all really want is Shining Force IV, not some lame anime-laden Diablo-clone.

Marky
Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Post by Marky »

Geoffrey Duke @ Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:00 pm) wrote: I just wonder if Sega even realises that what we all really want is Shining Force IV, not some lame anime-laden Diablo-clone.
I bet Sega doesn't even care. So long as it looks good, they'll make it. Whether the quality of the game is good, probably not. Sega hasn't been that successful; so I doubt Sega will even make a Shining Force IV.

I bet that if we voice our disgust for SFN (as you and I have), Sega wil stupidly make another regardless of our complaints. Second, Sega might get annoyed with our complaints, and piss us off even more by making another cr@ppy anime Diablo clone.
Geoffrey Duke
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Geoffrey Duke »

All this makes me wonder how much a potential SF IV would sell. Knowing our luck, it would probably be made for a portable console. :(

You'd think Sega would have learned from the failure of SF Neo and the success of Disgaea and Fire Emblem by now.

Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Shining Force III is the best game ever made and I bet I'll die before it gets beaten by any other game... Nuff said, Sega doesn't care and I am happy to have SF3.
"If you do not take us, I will do my best to stop Julian Battalion here." - Brigit - SFIII Sc3.
EmperorCesar

Post by EmperorCesar »

The more I play through this fairly good game the more i notice how insanely awsome this game would have been if it were multyplayer.... that was the key feature that keepd me playing Diablo 2 for so many years. Hack and Slashers are snore fests in single player... but Neo is actually a fun single player hack and slash... lots of wasted potential. If they add multyplayer in the sequel it should be a game to look foward to. And yes, I have lost all faith in Sega, all I can do now is pray for Camelot to start their own Strat-RPG franchise/series.

Geoffrey Duke @ Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:54 pm) wrote: All this makes me wonder how much a potential SF IV would sell. Knowing our luck, it would probably be made for a portable console. :(

You'd think Sega would have learned from the failure of SF Neo and the success of Disgaea and Fire Emblem by now.
Well that's a bit unfair comment to make,isn't it? We don't know what's the next SHINING game's gonna be for home systems apart from the mobile SHINING ROAD and CHRONICLE games.

Unless you know that the next SHINING FORCE being made isn't a SRPG....
Geoffrey Duke
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Geoffrey Duke »

I haven't a clue. I'm just not very optimistic at the moment. I mean, even if they made SF IV for the PS2 *now* there's no way in hell it would reach the rest of the world now that the new consoles are coming out.

Sega screwed us with SF Neo, really.

PrinceZach
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by PrinceZach »

Id like Hack in slash in 1 condition they make it 5 people or so and screen size bigger and have actually u and 4 friends play or something. other than that Turn based
I believe in the Path of Light but inside of me is a Path of Dark.
Marky
Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Post by Marky »

Geoffrey Duke @ Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:36 pm) wrote: I haven't a clue. I'm just not very optimistic at the moment. I mean, even if they made SF IV for the PS2 *now* there's no way in hell it would reach the rest of the world now that the new consoles are coming out.

Sega screwed us with SF Neo, really.
I doubt Sega is even thinking about a Shining Force 4. Sega just continues with stupid mistakes.

I bet they will make a sequel to Neo (like Shining Soul II for Shining Soul I) without thinking about the quality of the game, its tie-in with the Shining World, and pleasure of actually playing it.

Neo flopped big.
Tarethen
jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Post by Tarethen »

Marky @ Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:37 am) wrote: I doubt Sega is even thinking about a Shining Force 4. Sega just continues with stupid mistakes.

I bet they will make a sequel to Neo (like Shining Soul II for Shining Soul I) without thinking about the quality of the game, its tie-in with the Shining World, and pleasure of actually playing it.

Neo flopped big.
Well, if Sega does make Neo 2, they will definitely be able to learn from their mistakes.

Look how much better SS II was than SS.
Noahd42

Post by Noahd42 »

they need to make a game with no mistakes for once and actually get an origional product on the market.
myself i would not like to see Shining Force IV due to the fact that the series ended on such a good note, the series is dead but remembered.
The Forbidden Series VII is a great game no matter what you say, the series has slumped since then the peak of the series was definitley from IV- VII.

if SF Neo 2 was released, i think i'd be dissapointed, the game is great on its own but is hindered by some annoyances that hardcore fans must get past. It still offers very indepth gameplay and a solid story line for a hack and slash.
rikku

Post by rikku »

I like the new battle system i always love hack and slash and action rpg type of games
TKTOWA
Ninja Vandal
Shining Hero

Post by TKTOWA »

Though the Shining Force games took what was called a "turn for the worst" I enjoyed the hack/slash style very much. To be honest, I don't like hack/slash games at all. They're boring, repetitive and plain. But Shining Tears and Shining Force Neo seemed to have done hack/slash right. I enjoyed them both and since the company seems to do better with hack/slash than anyone else, they should keep doing what they're doing.
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/tktowa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TktowaVideos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/TKTOWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fox

Post by Fox »

Yup I also enjoyed the hack and slash style that was in Neo. I acctually asked myself if I was bored(Of the battles) about 30 or so hours into the game and I realized I was still having fun slaying countless monsters in every area.

I'm not saying the original battle style of Shining Force should go the way of the dodo though. I'd like another traditonal Force game as much as any of you, but Neo was just a fun game and I wouldn't be dissapointed if a sequal came out.