Who IS your favourite character?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 2013 10:10pm
by Aldur
Again and again I wondered about this until I finally decided it was Akane, simply because of the versatility of her character and set.

She gains access to Aura spells earlier than the others, true her mp isn't the best, but it's high enough that with the Fuma Helmet to regen some MP she's doing fine, can get the mithril katana for blaze 4 on randoms if needed, is speedy enough to go before bosses for healing even without a support up, can take a couple of hits, has Desoul for hopefully murdering off pesky high HP randoms and gets access to the insta kill katana.

Her weakest point is probably the lack of offensive spells compared to the other magic using characters but Weasel Slash and free blaze 4 do her fine, access to mp regen undoes some of the issues with her mp and generally her equipment set is pretty nice.

Re: Who IS your favourite character?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22 2013 1:23am
by KBA12812
Forte, offensive casters are really useful in the last 2 battles at the beginning plus whenever there are more than one enemies (obviously). I love Forte's spell pool and the blue hair is awesome as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22 2013 7:26pm
by MXC
I always liked Akane myself, mostly for reasons stated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25 2013 7:19am
by zexxar
MXC wrote:I always liked Akane myself, mostly for reasons stated.

Same here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29 2013 4:06am
by Kazgaroth
Doyle is a lion ninja.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10 2013 11:10pm
by Lucienne
Lisa, with Akane a close second. Lisa is just plain more durable than Akane, so I tend to have Akane switch out often so that she doesn't get targeted too much, and she's also less useful for random battles, wheras Lisa's usually 3rd-4th place in physical damage. Using both in boss battles got me through the last parts of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11 2013 5:38pm
by Musou
Everyone.

But the more I think about it, the more I have to settle on Rodi. His spell selection is amazing for a non-healer, with attack spells for the early-to-mid game, status spells for mid-to-late game and a few bosses, and Negate and Ferocity for use in the final battle. Plus, Kusanagi, if you're lucky. While going through the last few dungeons, I use Arthur, Basso, Doyle, and Rodi.

Though I do swap out Rodi with Forte or Akane on occasion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16 2013 3:25pm
by Pappets
My favorite is Arthur. Poor Melody. She's one of the choosen but she's weak when compared to others. She becomes almost useless. Restore spell is the only thing i see in her that makes her useful later in the game.
In the last dungeons i think the best team is Arthur, Lisa, Basso, Forte.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17 2013 7:17am
by Rick
KBA12812 wrote:Forte, offensive casters are really useful in the last 2 battles at the beginning plus whenever there are more than one enemies (obviously). I love Forte's spell pool and the blue hair is awesome as well.

Really? I find Forte to be the worst and least used tbh.. too reliant on a pool of mp that quickly exhausts... in places such as the tower of illusion, that just isnt good enough. ..

His spell selection is good, but I only really use his attack spell...

I have to agree about Akane, shes fantastic. Her specials look awesome, her speed is off the chart and the kusanagi makes her brutal!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18 2013 7:04am
by KBA12812
Rick wrote:
KBA12812 wrote:Forte, offensive casters are really useful in the last 2 battles at the beginning plus whenever there are more than one enemies (obviously). I love Forte's spell pool and the blue hair is awesome as well.

Really? I find Forte to be the worst and least used tbh.. too reliant on a pool of mp that quickly exhausts... in places such as the tower of illusion, that just isnt good enough.

My play style in most of the Shining games is based a lot on magic users so I usually am good with keeping magic in check and since Forte is in my opinion the only true offensive caster since hitting with him isn't really efficient I rely on him a lot cause I'm a magic based player, of course that runs me into trouble sometimes but I have my brutes to back me up when I need them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03 2013 10:12am
by Moondog
Doyle, hence the avatar lol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03 2013 4:20pm
by Martin III
Musou wrote:Everyone.

My thoughts exactly, at least when it comes to gameplay utility. Each character has his own unique role in the lineup, and not one of them could last a minute without his companions. How can I choose when every one is essential?

In terms of likeability, though, I go with Melody. I like her spunky personality and how she grows from being a total jerk to a sympathetic and caring person. She's physically attractive to boot, and I like the way her spells keep the rest of the party cranking, taking hits and coming back just as strong over and over.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15 2013 7:00am
by Saturox
My favorite character...i would say..... Basso , he's awesome not only his design but he's one of the few humanoid dragon character in RPGS that actually talks and has personality

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29 2013 4:11pm
by metateen
Don't really have one. Most if them only mildly held my interest...~

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18 2013 5:39am
by Sinful Force
The redhead chick! The readhead chick! Er, what's her name again? (Have I been gone that long?... Oh wait, I'm pretty bad with names to begin with...). Yeah, she heavily reminds me of... er... red head chick from Shining Force 3... OH YEAH! Spiriel is her name in SF3... k, so spelling seems off, course I suck at that too. :blush: But it for sure seems Spiriel is based off this game's redhead chick? So yeah, I'm gonna use my uber fan boy power called "imagination," and pretend they may be related somehow? Yes, that makes my fanboy powers tingle. I like. :)

But yeah, this redhead chick in StHA really impresses me... don't tell me I have a thing for redheads?

Her game power, skills and tactics? Er, I forget those, but I recall they being very good. But for real, this is about image & personality vibe she gives off more then anything. Her gameplay is just a sweat bonus to back up her sweat bad@$$ness. <3 (And I'm talking about her bum bum too. Cause that be sweet too ;))

She's a mercenary too!... Wait. this entire game is filled with them... how cool is that!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18 2013 5:45am
by Omega Entity
Lisa. Who is of no relation whatsoever to Spiriel, and who she isn't based off of. They both just happen to have red hair.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20 2013 1:39pm
by Sinful Force
What?! You don't see the resemblence outside of the red hair?! :shock: ... I actually see a lot of things in SF3 based off StHA,

And Lisa, of course. How could I forget, after all, it rhymes with Spiriel. :shifty:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27 2013 5:10pm
by Diggory
I always liked Forte best because he's cute and arrogant and has a great dress sense. I have a thing for cute mages :P I realise he's a bit weak statistically and his spells don't really make him that much more useful than the other spellcasters (I always found he had better luck with Soul Steal, dunno if it's just me.) - I don't really pick favourite characters by their stats though.

It always amused me how openly mercenary most of the cast of Shining in the Holy Ark were compared to other Shining games. I always imagine they have this internal dialogue:

Arthur: can I charge them money yet?
Spirits: no! go and save the world!
Melody: can *I* charge them money yet?
Spirits: NO!
Melody: can Forte charge them money?
Spirits: what the... NO! Forte's possessed by evil! why would he get paid?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08 2014 3:18pm
by Irene Guy
Lisa for me, best design, love the personality, great speall. Forte come as second - I wish he had a weapon to make him do more summons like Thor and Phoenix, that would be awesome. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10 2014 11:12pm
by Basso
Mine isn't Basso.

Just kidding, it's Basso.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11 2014 1:21am
by CajNatalie
Melody. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 2017 2:25am
by ZethaPonderer
This is kinda tricky to answer since all of them play a vital role in the game, but I'll rank which is my favorite:

1. Arthur (well-rounded stats, and useful spells to boot)

2. Lisa (Having both the Barrier and Support spell makes Melody and Forte obsolete IMO. Plus, she's got solid attack power and can equip the Force Blade which is awesome)

3. Melody (great sage like character that can Heal, Support, and has the only unique spell in the game Elemental which I enjoy watching. Also she gets Restore to regenerate HP which is really handy)

4. Akane (Love this ninja. Although I must admit she's just a poor copy of Melody that is only slightly better at attacking and quick on her feet. If you give her a Kusanagi however, Melody becomes obsolete. Poor Melody, though I still consider her slightly better than Akane)

5. Rodi (Another great ninja, though his spell selections leave a lot to be desired. He's just a poor copy of Forte, though give him a Kusanagi and this automatically makes him superior to Forte in everyway. Plus, he gets an Attack spell, and Negate which silences mages which is nice)

6. Doyle (He starts out really good when given the Mithril Claw to him, thus outshining Basso during mid-game)

7. Basso (I admit it. Basso looks the coolest in the game, but he's not the best practically speaking. Depending on your playstyle, he's so slow and doesn't hit nearly as hard compared to Doyle and by the time you get the Dragon Axe for him, he only outshines Doyle with slight attack power which is not much if you ask me when you can easily farm Kusanagis from the Spike Dragons at the last dungeon and cheese the game with your OHKO ninjas)

8. Forte (My least favorite character because by the time you get him, depending on your playstyle, he could potentially end up being weaker compared to the rest of your team)

I generally listed my favorites in terms of doing a Lvl 20 playthrough. Because delaying promotion is pretty pointless if you ask me. Experience stays constant throughout the game.