Shining Wisdom: Gale Orb

Discuss this classic action RPG for the Sega Saturn.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Zzasikar
Shining Member
Shining Member

Gale Orb

Post by Zzasikar »

I'm just playing through Shining Wisdom for the first time in over ten years. I'm right at the end before the Great Labyrinth and I've seen this item (Gale Orb) mentioned in guides, specifically in Byron Stanoszek's item chart at this address:

http://www.winds.org/pub/rpg/misc/wisdom-secrets.txt

Other than the sketchy location listed there though I can't find any information on where to find it.

I was wondering if anyone here had any more insight on the existance and whereabouts of this elusive item.

EDIT: Found it. For anyone who's interested you walk straight up to Pazort while he's floating above the hand thing at the bottom of the Great Labyrinth and dig right in front of him with the Mole Claw to get the orb. As the item chart suggested it just makes you run really really fast (I'm guessing double speed) while equipped. Pretty awesome.
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Gale Orb

Post by Martin III »

Interesting. That little orb isn't even mentioned in One Thing Shining.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Zzasikar
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Zzasikar »

It's only mentioned in two places on the internet - the smaller FAQ on GameFAQs and that obscure item chart that I linked. If it weren't for the chart I would have just passed it off as being either a rumour or an item that is on the CD but not actually accessible in the game without the use of cheat cartridges.

Luckily the little bit of information Mr. Stanoszek did put down about it was enough to be able to figure out where it was. Just as well, because stuff like that drives me crazy. :D
Salibu
Fighting Logic with Confusion
Shining Legend

Post by Salibu »

I dont believe I ever got this item when I beat this game.
Annual User ID Battle Creator:
2011 User ID Champion - Stordarth
2011 ToC Winner - Moogie > Stordarth
2012 User ID Champion - Rusty
2012 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > Rusty
2012 Tag Team Winner - Kaihaku / Noma
2012 Villain Contest - Galm
2013 User ID Champion - MXC
2013 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > MXC> Rusty
Century
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Century »

Maybe it's worth sending an email to the FAQ writer and asking him to describe in more detail where the item is. It certainly sounds as though not a lot of people know about it/have found it. I've certainly no idea whether I did...
Zzasikar
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Zzasikar »

I considered sending the guy an e-mail when I was having trouble finding it but I felt kind of rude since it was written 14 years ago.

But yeah, no big mystery now - it's pretty easy to find if you ever want to pick it up. Just search with the Mole Claw right in front of Pazort at the end of the game before you defeat all of the Djinns in the Great Labyrinth. He's floating above a big object shaped like a giant hand and fires magic at you while you're in the room with him. You will dig it up in the same fashion as you might dig up a Herb - the icon will bounce onto the screen and you just walk into it to pick it up.

The Gale Orb was actually really useful for those annoying rooms filled with fire at the end of the game. You run so fast that you can just leap over them with the Bounce Boots without having to extinguish them.
Salibu
Fighting Logic with Confusion
Shining Legend

Post by Salibu »

I am going to play through the game for this item.
Annual User ID Battle Creator:
2011 User ID Champion - Stordarth
2011 ToC Winner - Moogie > Stordarth
2012 User ID Champion - Rusty
2012 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > Rusty
2012 Tag Team Winner - Kaihaku / Noma
2012 Villain Contest - Galm
2013 User ID Champion - MXC
2013 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > MXC> Rusty
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

I'm tempted to do the same thing myself. I missed plenty of items on my first playthrough, but pretty much just extra herbs and angel wings. This actually sounds interesting.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Lourde Incarnadine
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lourde Incarnadine »

I'm wondering about those Blast Gloves, personally.
"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atom-bomb, the dread destroyer, who would someday come to end the world. None were very good gods, and I worshipped none of them."

~Calvin Morrison, from H. Beam Piper's Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen
Basso
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Basso »

That Gale Orb is mental.

Combine with Bounce Boots and you can jump across the town in 2 jumps... at a million miles an hour. Lots of fun, and great for topping up all the extra items you've not yet got on a speed run.

Who would have thought Sega would have put an item in the most unlikely spot in the game... hmm, so maybe its placement was kinda predictable afterall. But it's definitely really real, and therey there: on the very edge of the final battle arena waiting to be dug up, right in front of Pazort when he's floating on the Giant's hand. No cheating needed.
An exceptional item guide - I topped up my initial 96% to 100% using it. I wonder about his 2:10 completion time with 100% of the items though - I'm heading for about 3:30 on a speed run I've very nearly finished :shifty:

Funnily enough there's exactly 100 items that aren't essential to get to the end of the game. I found one mistake so far: the life stock in the Sand Labyrinth is actually to the East of the Second Floor, though perhaps he meant to say South of the 2-3F staircase on the 2F - you do need to dig down from there into the room it's in.

15 Herbs, 15 Angel Wings and 15 Record Books. 5 Medicines, 2 Miracle Diaries, 1 Silver Bottle (plus another which you apparently don't need to get 100%), 2 non-essential pieces of equipment, (plus the Magic Pyjamas which you apparently don't need to get 100%), 5 non-essential Orbs (plus the Dinky Orb which you apparently don't need to get 100%), 20 Life Stocks and 20 Life Containers.

I feel like doing my own walkthrough now. Has anyone here done one for SW?
Zzasikar
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Zzasikar »

Yeah the Gale Orb is totally awesome. I had a lot of fun with it at the end of the game just skipping huge puzzle sections due to how far I could jump with it.

The guy who wrote that guide obviously lived and breathed Shining Wisdom for a good few months of his life to know the ins and outs of the game enough to collect everything and finish in such a ridiculous time.

I too would also be really interersted to know if the Blast Gloves are actually out there somewhere but honestly the game frustrated me so much on the last playthrough I doubt I'll ever get the urge to give it another whirl.
Kazgaroth
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Shining Legend

Post by Kazgaroth »

Basso wrote:Stuff
How many times have you completed it since I helped you set it up?

Your post made me laugh a fair bit, but in a nice way, so thanks for that :D
Basso
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Basso »

Zzasikar wrote:The guy who wrote that guide obviously lived and breathed Shining Wisdom for a good few months of his life to know the ins and outs of the game enough to collect everything and finish in such a ridiculous time.
Yeah, no kidding lol. I suspect he just knew the most efficient ways to get around the labyrinths, which isn't too hard if you've played it a few times, and recently. I also suspect he didn't kill a single monster other than the end-of-level ones that you have to kill. What I had trouble with was whizzing around the place, pre-Spring Shoes/Bounce Boots, and running into monsters by mistake - their positions as they come onto the screen are fairly random. Though the Freeze orb + nothing equipped helped a fair bit on this one.

I think you need to only ever buy angel wings to help get around the place as fast as possible - so without using money on herbs and without killing monsters for life-ups, and no money to buy the Magic Pyjamas, things get very difficult. And needless to say, you have to switch the speech settings to "Turbo" asap.
Zzasikar wrote:I too would also be really interersted to know if the Blast Gloves are actually out there somewhere but honestly the game frustrated me so much on the last playthrough I doubt I'll ever get the urge to give it another whirl.
I dunno if I'm that bothered about the Blast Gloves, I got my 100%. So I doubt they even exist outside of cheats.

I left the game for many years before I bothered with an emulator to play it again. I get cravings to play old games again every so often - maybe you will too, eventually? It is a fun game, and the challenge to get 100% in the shortest amount of time is a good one.
Kazgaroth wrote:Stuff
I only played it twice. Once doing everything I could without a guide, talking to everyone etc. Then once more to try and do it as fast as I could with 100% item collection using the guide I'm on about. Obviously I could shave a lot more off my time if I played it more. But I scrapped my idea of doing that and making a walkthrough, in favour of playing Shining the Holy Ark again.

This time around I managed to promote everyone you can promote at exactly the same time without level grinding (making everything after the South Shrine a little tricky, especially the Rilix battle - you can't learn certain spells like Raise, or equip certain items including the Sacred Treasures until you're promoted) - I got Lisa when everyone was around level 2 and Doyle when everyone was around level 3 (their starting levels). But obviously they weren't equal levels for long after that... Still worth it :shifty:
Zzasikar
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Zzasikar »

Basso wrote:maybe you will too, eventually?
I don't think so. I've played through it twice now - once in my childhood and once relatively recently. I'm not sure exactly how I felt about it the first play through as it was a long while ago now, but the second playthrough - wow. I don't think I've ever been so angry at a video game. Mostly due to jumps across falling floors I think. The only thing that kept me going was that I was completing all of the Camelot Shining games in order of the Shining timeline and I was way too far along to give up (I was between jobs and bored, don't judge me! Haha).

For the sake of me neighbours' eardrums I think it's best I give Shining Wisdom a very wide berth for a very long time. :)

That said, I wish that guy had done that speed-run in the Youtube speed-runs era. I would have loved to see that ridiculous run.
rid1ey
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by rid1ey »

Lourde Incarnadine wrote:I'm wondering about those Blast Gloves, personally.
What are the Blast Gloves?
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 4141-8948-4277
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey

https://www.instagram.com/stephen_ridley_art/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post by ShiningKristof »

There must be more to be done than meets the eye on this game. Blast gloves could very well exist. The fact that there is items that dont count toward 100 percent is strange enough. I think its personally strange and kinda dissapointing that in the file start screen there is obviously a missing life bubble i mean wtf! if there is still 2 hidden blue diamonds out there equaling 22 i would straight shite meself
Missile

Post by Missile »

Blast Gloves actually do exist, and i've calculated a Action replay code for them. Use 36006140 0001 to place them in your inventory. It doesn't really seem like a "secret item" though, it functions like the bracelet from Link's Awakening.

Post by ShiningKristof »

So they do officially exist in some form. Can you actually find them ingame? or just recover through code?( was a part of japanese version of beta test)
Also, do they have a notable effect in lifting "heavier objects"? (as stated in one of the few FAQ out there). And lastly have you found any other items that are only attainable with these?
THERE MUST BE 22 BLUE HEALTH DIAMONDS!!! ha ha ha ha ha
Missile

Post by Missile »

I can't say for sure, as that would require playing the game extensively, but it doesn't seem like it. Like i said, it seems more like an tool they forgot about instead of a special secret item . I can't give you exact Blue Diamond locations, but here's the full item list from binary:

Items:
Spoiler
Nothing
Healing Herb
Medicine
Angel's Wing
Wonder Mirror
Red Key
Blue Key
Record Book
Vigilance Spall
Silver Bottle
Blessed Water
Life Medicine
Grey Key
Yellow Key
Green Key
Miracle Diary
ORB
Spoiler
Nothing
Spark Orb
Freeze Orb
Blaze Orb
Blast Orb
Shield Orb
Gale Orb
Power Orb
Dazzle Orb
Dyslex Orb
Dinky Orb
zzz
zzz
zzz
zzz
zzz
Equip/Misc
Spoiler
Nothing
Short Sword
Battle Sword
Shining Sword
Stone Shoes
Slide Shoes
Hercules Gloves
Blast Gloves
Magic Hands
Monkey Suit
Mole Claw
Spring Shoes
Bounce Boots
Pegasus Helm
Judo Suit
Toydona USA
Whisper Conch
Magic Pajamas
zzz
zzz
zzz
zzz
zzz
zzz
Life A
Life B
Life C
zzz
1 gold
5 gold
10 gold
zzz
rid1ey
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by rid1ey »

This is so cool - thanks for sharing the code. I dropped it on Gamefaqs too ...did you want credit?

I thought the SFC community would be lapping this up!

I wonder why it gets a translated description yet is not used?

It's description is too lift HEAVIER objects... I tried the barrel at the old's lol but it did not shift! Also paired it with the Blast Gloves naturally and it did nothing special. I tried picking up monsters too. No.

Keep us all updated and know this is sincerely appreciated and all most as cool as Pyra's Wand in SFIII!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 4141-8948-4277
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey

https://www.instagram.com/stephen_ridley_art/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;