Shining Force CD: Any sighting of Gaiden 1 English?

Also incorporating Shining Force Gaiden 1 & Shining Force Gaiden 2 (aka Sword of Hajya).

Moderator: Shining Moderators

DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Any sighting of Gaiden 1 English?

Post by DomingoRules! »

Just thought I'd ask (with low expectations), since the last topic about it seems to be from about 5 years ago, and I didn't have much luck looking myself. I ask because a friend and I have lately been playing Shining Force online using Fusion, and afterwards we may want to move on to the other ones. We haven't had much luck getting other 32X or Sega CD games running online without connection issues though, but I imagine Game Gear would be less problematic. Therefore an English version of Gaiden 1 would be useful, since we could then play that and Sword of Hajya instead praying Shining Force CD will run properly.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
MXC
Shining Legend

Re: Any sighting of Gaiden 1 English?

Post by MXC »

The last time I did a thorough search (about 15 years ago, I admit), there was nothing translated simply because of SFCD. Improved graphics plus two extra books meant that it was unlikely anyone would bother with a patch. Heck, Final Conflict was finished 12 years ago now, but that didn't have an English release in any form prior to that.

I'm not sure what to tell you for the online play. When I tried running SFCD (probably 10 years ago lol), I had the same syncing issues. Your best bet might to be taking turns doing battles (or chapters) for Gaiden 1, then connecting for Sword of Hayja (and then possibly trading battles again for Book 3.)
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Makes sense, of course. I'd much rather just play CD than the Gaiden games, even if the extra books aren't too interesting (in my opinion) except for the shadow battle in Book 3. I only ask because of these very specific circumstances. Oh well. I don't even know yet if he'll want to play the other ones, but I thought I'd ask in advance. Besides, with how much I've been going on about how much better SF2 is than the first game, he may just want to jump to that instead. I thought it would be fun though to play them chronologically, since he's never played any of them before.

It has actually been a lot of fun letting him be mostly in control of things. Letting him take the lead in battles (with me giving the occasional important warning, such as making sure Marionette didn't utterly obliterate us as he did the very first time I fought him because of all the surprise, bullshit boss abilities the game suddenly throws at you) has resulted in playing out some fights in ways I never have before. Watching him decide which party members for us to use has also been neat since he knows very little about their potential aside from a few vague hints I've dropped, and has resulted in a rather interesting party; such as keeping Ken.

Talking about that reminds me that I've been wondering whether or not to tell him about the wooden plank in Shining Force 2, or leave it up to him to figure it out. It might be fun watching him experience the dread of figuring out how to use it for himself.

MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

I'd let him go at least for a little bit ;)
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Not a month though, like it probably took many of us as kids?

MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

The first time I got to that point, I probably did spend 3 days (not much time, maybe a few hours total) trying to figure it out. Talked to everyone and had no luck. Had no other ideas so decided to reset and just hope for the best. Somehow my 11 year old brain figured it out by doing exactly that.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Well my first experience with it was a rental, which kept breaking apart my attempts at it. I don't even remember if it was me, or a friend who figured it out first. I do know though that I had beaten the game through rentals before I eventually owned it.

Still not as bad though as when I believed Mishaela in Alterone, and spent god knows how long trying to figure out what I was missing back in Guardiana.