Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force CD
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Stat carryover question

How does this really work?

Also incorporating Shining Force Gaiden 1 & Shining Force Gaiden 2 (aka Sword of Hajya).

Stat carryover question

Postby RedShine » Sat Oct 22 2016 9:27pm

This has probably been asked before, but here goes.
I'm playing through the game and I finished book 1 (saved at battle 21, the last in which you can save, unless I'm wrong, since 21 and 22 are basically tied to the same map.

When starting book 2, the save girl asked "is this a sequel?" and I chose "yes", to which she replied "then I may know some characters in it."

From that I inferred I had done things correctly, and the book 1 returners would have the levels and stats they had on book 1, but that's not the case. So what gives? do stat carryovers only happen in books 3 and 4? I'd really appreciate some clarification here.
RedShine

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Apr 05 2014 6:22am

Re: Stat carryover question

Postby Lord Kane » Mon Oct 24 2016 9:13am

RedShine wrote: do stat carryovers only happen in books 3 and 4?


Yes, stat carryovers only happen in books 3 and 4! Maybe the names of some characters are taken over from book 1 to 2 (does only matter, if you renamed them in book 1), I'm not sure...
Lord Kane

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Mar 09 2008 10:46am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Stat carryover question

Postby RedShine » Mon Oct 24 2016 6:40pm

Ah, thank you, Lord Kane!
It really puts my mind at ease to have my question answered by one as knowledgeable as yourself.

You mentioned renaming, even on book 1; how would I go about doing that?
RedShine

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Apr 05 2014 6:22am

Re: Stat carryover question

Postby Lord Kane » Tue Oct 25 2016 8:41am

RedShine wrote:Ah, thank you, Lord Kane!
It really puts my mind at ease to have my question answered by one as knowledgeable as yourself.


Thank you! ;)

RedShine wrote:You mentioned renaming, even on book 1; how would I go about doing that?


When you enter the hero's name after starting a new game then hold down START while confirming the "End"-Button with button A or C. Then you should be able to name all other Shining characters in this book.
Lord Kane

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Mar 09 2008 10:46am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Stat carryover question

Postby RedShine » Wed Oct 26 2016 4:30am

Lord Kane wrote:When you enter the hero's name after starting a new game then hold down START while confirming the "End"-Button with button A or C. Then you should be able to name all other Shining characters in this book.


Is there any sort of pre-requisite to do that? like previously cleared book save files or anything like that?
also still in regards to carryovers, book 2 stats will only be used for returning characters if they are higher than book 1's, right?
RedShine

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Apr 05 2014 6:22am

Re: Stat carryover question

Postby Lord Kane » Wed Oct 26 2016 8:58am

As far as I know, there shouldn't be any pre-requisite for this code. Best way is to simply try it, then you'll see, if it works. ;)

There is a set indiviual minimum-level for each Force member in Book 3. If imported characters from book 1 or 2 are below their minimum-level, their stats don't carry over.
For the 3 characters, who appear in both books as active Force members: if they reach their minimum-level in both books, their stats are taken from the book with the higher level. If they are equal, the game uses the stats from book 2.
Lord Kane

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Mar 09 2008 10:46am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Stat carryover question

Postby RedShine » Thu Oct 27 2016 8:15am

I tried the rename code as you instructed, and while it seems to trigger normally for book 1, it doesn't work for book 2, for some reason.

You mentioned that returning characters need to go past a set level in both books for the highest stats to carry over, did I understand correctly? I'm playing book 2 now (nearing the end) and all my returners have been bench warmers pretty much the whole time.
RedShine

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Apr 05 2014 6:22am

Re: Stat carryover question

Postby Lord Kane » Fri Oct 28 2016 10:34am

RedShine wrote:You mentioned that returning characters need to go past a set level in both books for the highest stats to carry over, did I understand correctly?


Yes, to carry over their stats they must equal or surpass their given minimum level in books 3 and 4. Its between 7 - 13 in book 3 and 11-17 in book 4.
Lord Kane

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Mar 09 2008 10:46am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Stat carryover question

Postby RedShine » Fri Oct 28 2016 8:51pm

Lord Kane wrote:Yes, to carry over their stats they must equal or surpass their given minimum level in books 3 and 4. Its between 7 - 13 in book 3 and 11-17 in book 4.


I assume the level requirements are on an individual basis, right? if so I'll probably use the last few battles to catch up those that need it.

Another question. Are stat carryover conditions recalculated every time I start a new book 3 game?
e.g I have a save for book 2 with Deanna (which I name Dean, otherwise I can't stand it) at Level 19. If I revisit the battle, level to 20, save and then start a new book 3 save with that data, will he be 20 instead?

Edit: Well, I managed to start book 3 correctly at least. Nick's stats are curious. He was stronger as a hero in his own book than as a prince in Dean's book, but now in book 3 he is prince class but with his B1 hero stats!
pretty confusing, but I guess it proves you're right, Lord Kane, the book 1 stats were only passed onward because I also maxed his level on the second book and the game picked the highest one (at least that's what I understood from your explanation).
RedShine

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Apr 05 2014 6:22am

Re: Stat carryover question

Postby Lord Kane » Sun Oct 30 2016 12:46pm

RedShine wrote:
I assume the level requirements are on an individual basis, right? if so I'll probably use the last few battles to catch up those that need it.


Right. I also often use the final battle to catch some members of my team up. (Although there are few exceptions, where the set stats in book 3 are at least partially better than my stats from book 1/2)

RedShine wrote:Another question. Are stat carryover conditions recalculated every time I start a new book 3 game?
e.g I have a save for book 2 with Deanna (which I name Dean, otherwise I can't stand it) at Level 19. If I revisit the battle, level to 20, save and then start a new book 3 save with that data, will he be 20 instead?


Yes, they should be recalculated every time you start a new sequel.
Lord Kane

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Mar 09 2008 10:46am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Stat carryover question

Postby RedShine » Mon Oct 31 2016 4:52am

I appreciate the clear answers ^.^
I believe I finally get it (although I wish the system was less convoluted and you could simply choose a stat set to use).
RedShine

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Apr 05 2014 6:22am


Return to Shining Force CD

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest