Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force CD
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Using shops as storage

Is it possible?

Also incorporating Shining Force Gaiden 1 & Shining Force Gaiden 2 (aka Sword of Hajya).

Using shops as storage

Postby RedShine » Sat Sep 10 2016 8:53pm

A bit of background first:
When I was little and played Shining Force 2 on my MD I wasn't a really keen strategist, so I ended up having the most fun at first by using the control enemies cheat and having them goof around instead of putting up a fight.
One of the things that I recall being possible (and arguably the funniest), was forcing the CPU troops into simply discarding their weapons, making their attack puny and negligible.

Later on I found that the weapons and items I forced them into discarding would pop up in the deals section of shops for me to buy (later when I grew up I figured out that the game probably considered the event as them dropping their gear on death, and thus it would show up in shops.

I also realized back then that whatever rare piece I sold at a shop could later be bought back, even if the price was salty. Thing is, in Shining Force 2 that isn't really needed as you have the caravan as a mobile storage/HQ.

So now on to my question: In Shining Force CD is it possible to sell rares to the shops to free up space and buy them back later? I ask mostly because of stat boosters that are taking up room and I'd rather use them post promotion.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Using shops as storage

Postby Lord Kane » Mon Sep 12 2016 2:46pm

Yes, you can do this. If the shopkeeper says something like "Oh, that's a rare bird!" when you offer him an item, it is concidered as rare und you can buy it back later in the deals section. It should work with stat boosters IIRC.
Lord Kane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RedShine » Mon Sep 12 2016 8:07pm

Thanks for the input; This should make things a lot easier.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby abig84 » Tue Sep 13 2016 5:37pm

i remember doing this on SF2 on the genesis. i always dumped my mithril off at the shops early on as it just took up space and you didnt need it til way later in the game, by then you had more then enough money to buy it back. so its kinda like a pawn store, you just pawn it and get it back when you pay money with interest
abig84

Postby RedShine » Tue Sep 13 2016 6:28pm

abig84 wrote:So its kinda like a pawn store, you just pawn it and get it back when you pay money with interest

True enough. Good thing there are no other world saving parties in the game that could buy back your mithril before you did hm? haha.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Tue Sep 13 2016 6:30pm

I've never done it in SFCD but I recall stat boosters not being in the deals section. Everything else ended up there but not the boosters. I could be wrong but I'd check before you sell them all or save your game.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby RedShine » Wed Sep 14 2016 12:19am

Thanks for the tip, MXC.
As it turns out, stat boosters aren't considered rares in SFCD (which is quite odd, considering they aren't exactly a dime a dozen either) and also they fetch a pretty measly price, to top it off.

Maybe it has been this way in every SF game, but I can't recall for sure.

Edit: Guess I'll have to use the the boosters pre-promo to free up some room if I can't find bench warmers to pass them to. I just hope they aren't wasted by stat recalculation.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Fri Sep 16 2016 3:49pm

In SF2, only the Pimento/Pepper is wasted. Still, you should be able to stash them on a few characters for the time being.
MXC

Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force CD