Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Final Conflict Sprite Fan Art

What would the characters look like nowadays?

Discussion about this excellent Game Gear RPG.

Re: Final Conflict Sprite Fan Art

Postby renatobs » Thu Mar 20 2014 6:33pm

I love your work !
What do you think to work with me in game art development ?!
You are welcome !
renatobs

Postby Omega Entity » Thu Mar 20 2014 6:34pm

Renatobs, you know those are frankensprites, right? Not completely original? As good as these sprites admittedly look, if you're doing something completely new you'll probably want sprites that are entirely new, too.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby renatobs » Thu Mar 20 2014 6:44pm

Yes, I know, but even like this it´s a good work. I believe that something new is possible from who did it ! I hope to see here !
renatobs

Postby Caedmonball19 » Thu Mar 20 2014 8:38pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence Renatobs, I am always willing to attempt anything, but I am still relatively new to spriting. Let me know if you want me to attempt something.

Omega I will say that I am doing a lot more with these sprites now than what I was. When I first started a while back I did characters like Hawel and Mishaela. Those are true franken-sprites in that it didn't require much on my part to make those. These enemy sprites even though I technically use something for reference are more of my own creations. Sonette is one that I still need to go back and alter a little to make more of my own. I can't even call her a franken-sprite with as little effort as it took to create her.

Since I wasn't able to upload these to my last post due to limitations here are the latest ones:
Hunter Goblin:
HunterGoblinSFCArt.png

Artillery:
GunnerSFCArt.png

Orc:
OrcSFCArt.png

EDIT:
I decided to spend some quality time making a Shining Force band .gif I have put it on the top of my first post :)

EDIT 2:
Also uploaded the Giant Bat to the first post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby SaCred » Tue Mar 25 2014 6:26pm

The Dark Mage looks pretty good.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Caedmonball19 » Tue Mar 25 2014 7:13pm

Why thank you kind sir :)
Here is the Giant Bat sprite I couldn't add before:
BatSFCArt.png

Wyrm: (I haven't put this into motion yet so this may look horrible :) )
WyrmSFCArt.png

Gizmo: (I will look at changing this Gizmo type from SF2 to the Final Conflict version)
GizmoSFCArt.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Caedmonball19 on Mon Mar 31 2014 3:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby DiegoMM » Sun Mar 30 2014 4:25pm

They are cool, but the Gizmo of Final Conflict is diferent than the one in sf2. In final conflict they have a central eye, in diferent color.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Caedmonball19 » Mon Mar 31 2014 2:11pm

I will take a look at that Diego. Thanks for pointing it out. I looked at the Gizmo battle sprite and based my coloring and design off him. It's hard to find the Final Conflict battle sprites, and even when you do find them the quality isn't as good as the console games.

Any other things you would change?

EDIT: I did take a look and you were right. The effect the of the FC sprite will be harder to capture since it's more of a "mist" type character with the floating eye. The battle sprites are bad to go off of as I had stated above though. Even the newer mobile game doesn't help much.

EDIT 2:
Smoke:
SmokeSFCArt.png

What do you think Diego? I tried to just edit my Gizmo with the central eye, color changes and also soften the outer edge to make it appear less defined.

EDIT 3:
Cleric: (This one was interesting as his sprite looked Caucasian but his battle sprite had dark skin, so I decided to stick with dark skin as most battle sprites showed more detail and coloring closer to true form. Also the FC mobile game showed him having white eyebrows so I also tried to include those here.)
ClericSFCArt.png
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby DiegoMM » Tue Apr 01 2014 12:34am

I think the gizmo is good now. Great and quick job!

But the cleric looks a good guy, the eyes of the sf2 cleric are scary, maybe if you change his expression he will look more like a enemie. And the skin tone is alright.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Caedmonball19 » Tue Apr 01 2014 5:39pm

He does look kind of nice doesn't he? Maybe like a Mr Roger's type guy welcoming you to his neighborhood.

Edit 1:
Here is a slight change to eyebrows and eyes:
ClericSFCArt.png

Edit 2:
I also changed Sonette's hair to brown in the first post as acsound had suggested early on.

Edit 3:
Okay I need some help here. I am trying to work of the Dark Knight and was using the Rune Knight as an example. I cannot get the helmet right and I am not sure which way to go with the helmet. See the picture below:
DarkKnight.png

The map sprite appears to be a full helmet while the battle sprite appears to be a tin man hat and a face that is hard to make out. Any ideas on what to use for a helmet?

Edit 4:
Okay here is what I have come up with so far. I didn't use the tin man look. It's hard with the size head I am using but I think this is a good start. It will be easier to flesh out the fact that he's a centaur on the side view.
$DarkKnight.png
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby Faisal » Sun Apr 06 2014 9:47am

Wow *_*
You people really do ALOT of work to keep SFC and the series awesome :)
Eat food,sleep,wake up,eat food,eat some more,eat a little more,sleep.Repeat everyday and be awesome (Y)
Eat food,sleep,wake up,eat food,eat some more,eat a little more,sleep.Repeat everyday and be awesome (Y)
Faisal

The Asian Sensation
Shining Hero

Postby DiegoMM » Sun Apr 06 2014 5:08pm

The cleric looks good.

About the knight: Why you dont use only the helmet with shadow face (maybe only the eyes) instead of that brown skin? in the original dont show any of his face skin. I like the way he is now, just saying that for helping stay true to the original.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Caedmonball19 » Mon Apr 07 2014 2:25pm

Thanks Faisal!

Diego: I had the same thought and was torn on what to do. In the large battle animation I can't tell if I am looking at all helmet or at some grayish face. I will do a mockup with a darkened area and see how it turns out. Thanks for continuing to check in and give input, I appreciate it.

Edit:
Okay here is the Dark Knight with that blackened area in the helmet. I used the Rune Knight's battle animation shield as a reference and then recolored to match the blues used in the FC Dark Knight.
DarkKnightSFCArt.png

Edit 2:
I realize I still have a long ways to go here. I still have 7 more "normal" enemies to do before I have to move on to color edits as the enemies change as the game progresses. Here is Mudman.
MudmanSFCArt.png

Edit 3:
Here is a Harpy (I know it is not true to the original, but that Hair would be a mess to do. I found a harpy base that I just needed to do some modifications to including the hair. I may revisit this one as the battle sprite you can't even see the eyes really with the poof ball hanging down in front of her.
HarpySFCArt.png
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Apr 11 2014 8:52pm

Spacer for more cool fanart. Keep it up!
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Caedmonball19 » Fri Apr 11 2014 8:56pm

Thanks Lord Oddeye! Glad you got the PM :) Here is my first crack at the Shaman. I had to use some sports teams logo as a reference for the rams head since the battle animation doesn't offer much detail. I may change the color of the snout to be a little darker. Hard to see the goatee. As far as I know this is the first Ram Anthromorph sprite of this style. I tried to find a base to work with but came up with nothing.
ShamanSFCArt.png

Edit:
Here is the completed Shaman sheet. I tried to use a real ram head for reference on the side view and think it turned out okay.
ShamanSFCArt.png

Edit 2:
Here is the Skeleton. Had a good base to work with, just needed some slight mods, color change, sword and shield are custom.
SkeletonSFCArt.png
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby Kilroy » Sat Apr 19 2014 5:49pm

Chibi skeleton :excited: Nice spritework, Caedmonball. I never really got the hang of spriting so these are really cool to me.
Qu'est-ce que sup, homies?
Kilroy

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Caedmonball19 » Sat Apr 19 2014 7:17pm

Thanks Kilroy. I was looking back and noticed the head of my golem ended up being less chibi than everything else. It took me a while to get that one right so I am reluctant to redo it, but I don't feel it fits with the others as well.
Edit:
I am adding the first three sprites here so I can change the first post to all links to dropbox. That way if I change the dropbox images it will auto update. Here are the originals of these guys.
Ian:
IanSFCArt.png

Max:
MaxSFCArt.png

Mead:
MeadSFCArt.png
Last edited by Caedmonball19 on Fri May 02 2014 9:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby Kilroy » Sat Apr 19 2014 9:09pm

The Mudman head is rather Easter Island-ish. It sticks out a bit, I do agree there. Nothing wrong with doing a second version though!
Kilroy

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Caedmonball19 » Mon Apr 21 2014 3:14pm

Haha yeah. I did try to go off the battle sprite for the Mudman and his head is elongated, but it does go against the chibi style a bit. I'll keep this version saved just in case the chibi style looks worse :)
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby Nash Vegas » Tue Apr 22 2014 10:14pm

These are cool Caedmonball19. Too bad you are just doing the sprites and not the whole game. Although I haven't played the game yet I did see youtube videos and the graphics could use an overhaul :) Keep up the good work!
Nash Vegas

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict