Shining Force Feather Translation Project: Translations in progress

Update thread

Forum for the Shining Force Feather Translation Project team to discuss progress. More translators always welcome!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

StorMyu
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Translations in progress

Post by StorMyu »

Yeah Sui and I are working on it, no worries ^^
Sui

Post by Sui »

Making steady progress. I've got time most days to sit down and do some translating, so. You can basically expect steady progress from me on this. ^_^ Not that everyone will be able to SEE this progress happening, but. Trust me, it's there. ;)
kamin

Post by kamin »

Did we ever have an update on this? :thumbsup:
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

any news?
ShadowDragon
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by ShadowDragon »

so how is progress on this?
sbloom85
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by sbloom85 »

:shock: No updates in over two years? This can't be good.
StorMyu
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by StorMyu »

sbloom85 wrote::shock: No updates in over two years? This can't be good.
lack of interest from translators + too many projects on my own to be really dedicated when no one else is.
I'll definitely get back to it at some point, but it's really not something major right now (especially considering the time I've put alone in this)
Xiados
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Xiados »

Is the majority of the work translation?
Fuu Rules~
MKR Striker!
Moogie
Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Yes, as I recall StorMyu has pretty much all the coding stuff covered, clever chap. Shame no translators seem to have stuck with the project :(
Check me out on Twitch! :excited:
http://www.twitch.tv/ShiningMoogie
Simpelicity
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Simpelicity »

I have news on the translation front.

Waaay back in the day (2012!) I did a let's play of this game. Because I loved the game, and also because I wanted to draw attention to it, and this project. Didn't particularly work, as you can imagine.

Fast forward to 8 months ago, I'm only slightly more popular with the internets, but there's a viewer in particular that is similarly impressed with the game. I think he also really likes me, because he offers to translate the game for me. Because in the first video I had mentioned that if someone did I'd add that translation in the videos as annotations. I'd seen it done before.
I told him it would be nice if instead he did it for the project, but he didn't want that at all. Too much pressure, too shy, etc... and yet he still started translating the game. So I tried to find time to put it in the videos. It was... difficult. I had time back in 2012, but not so much these days...

So fast forward again, to today really. He has finished the translation. That is, the translation of the main game. He hasn't done the library,and I think the starting and ending dialog in the optional battles thingies. The rest of the dialog is pretty much translated. Meanwhile, I've managed to insert those in a grand total of... 1 video. :(

So I made a deal with him. I share this translation here, and I promised to Let's play the resulting translation hack. Should it ever happen. He reluctantly agreed, on the condition that he not be mentioned. So I'll ask you the same thing : don't mention him in credits or anything, he doesn't want the attention. I won't mention his name here, and if you ever figure out who did it, don't either. He did all this translating, the least you can do is respect his wishes. If he changes his mind he can come forward whenever he wants.

So, bottom line is : we have a translation. Not complete, but enough for a first release. All we'd need is english for menus and whatnot. It doesn't have to be a real translation; we know what the options do, we can slap on words that'll tell the player what they do until someone tells us the exact translation to use. And we don't need item names translated as long as we know what effect they have on our stats, or what they do. Again, even if we don't have an exact translation, doesn't matter as long as there's some text (or whatever else) that allows the player to understand what function it serves.

Not having some of the optional dialog is sad, but we can do without for a first release. That release can and hopefully will draw some attention back to the game, and from there perhaps we can find another translator or five to finish it for us.

Last thing, concerning the translations themselves. Our kindly viewer has neither english nor japanese as his first language. A little bit of editing is likely necessary. Not so much to take out japanese grammarness, but simply to correct some minor spelling mistakes or the like. I will leave that to whoever also has to put all of it in the game. Which brings me to my second point : the translation was originally made with my videos in mind. They are named after my videos (for instance the file 18 refers to video 18 of my series), and inside he will give timecodes to when any particular dialog sequence starts. Not... optimal for this, to be sure, but hey! We have a translation.

Here's the translation. And here's a playlist I made of all the videos where story and item management happens.

I don't have any more time to put this in a hack than I do putting this in my videos, so I sincerely hope there's still someone around to pick up the ball from here. I think I'll message Stormyu and Moogie at least, they are more involved in the project, either they can do it or maybe know someone who will. Maybe someone else who passes by here? Come on, one final push and we can finally get this done!
Last edited by Simpelicity on Wed Apr 12 2017 1:42am, edited 1 time in total.
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

what is
ƒ”ƒŒƒAƒ`ƒGƒ“ƒo[
Simpelicity
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Simpelicity »

I don't know. Looks like an encoding problem to me.

Where do you see it?
sbloom85
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by sbloom85 »

Just downloaded it. I'll check it out and maybe start a live walkthrough of it Monday.
Simpelicity
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Simpelicity »

If you feel like it... what would you do with the translation though, just translate it for the viewers? You're going to have to read through it first to organize it, it's not well structured for that purpose.

I wish the actual people that can put it in the hack would come by some day. But hey, maybe at least your project might wake them up or something.
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

Will he continue with the translation? With the last battles, EX battles, Ranks battles, EX interludes, etc
Simpelicity
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Simpelicity »

Um.... oh hey I forgot to update this. He did give me one more update, but this is also as far as he'll go. I knew something was off when you talked about the last battles, because I was pretty sure he had translated those... I just didn't put them here. Sorry.

I forget if the rest of what you ask is in there as well, but if it's not, then the answer is no. I did say it was not complete. But with all the main story I think it's enough for a first release.

I updated the link in my first wall I mean, post. Here it is as well. The final version I mean. Hopefully. Unless I messed up again.
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

[Video 44]
Interlude with Rush is incomplete
Simpelicity
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Simpelicity »

Wing it. I can't translate it for you.
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

He could translate the tutorials at least, would be good for everyone, maybe there is a detail that has escaped us on the gameplay
Simpelicity
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Simpelicity »

OK, I'm gonna make one thing clearer : he doesn't really want to share this with y'all. Just me. I had to convince him to allow me to share it here. And that doesn't make him happy about it.

So after putting all this effort in to translate the game, just for me, am I gonna come back to him and ask him for more, because the translation project is unsatisfied? No.

He gave me this gift. I will accept the gift, instead of asking for more. Because that would be incredibly rude.