Shining Force II Hacking: [playthrough] SF2 - Return to Grans

Current battle: CHESS BATTLE. Made it on the 4th attempt...

A place for Shining Force 2 hack discussion, editing tools, new hacks etc.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

greyskies
Shining Member
Shining Member

[playthrough] SF2 - Return to Grans

Post by greyskies »

A while ago, I released a hack which goes by the name of Return to Grans.

After receiving quite a bit of feedback, I tweaked some things that weren't received as well (such as the new BRN sprites, which I threw out again) or caused problems (such as the chess battle, which has been made slightly easier - also the enemies will now give XP longer, to make sure that the player can't get stuck).
There have also been some minor updates concerning graphics, story and general balance.

None of these updates have been playtested yet, so I started a new playthrough - and I figured I may as well record myself doing just that. In case you are interested, you can watch my progress here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnzcSov ... xOfNTKnWRu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disclaimers:
- You'll have to bear my horrible voice (and accent). Also, recording quality can be roughly described as "potato"
- This is not some flashy Let's Play with memes galore and heavy editing. Just a guy playing a twenty years old game

If you're not familiar with my hack, it is not a complete overhaul of the game such as for example Nightshade's Battle Royale, but rather an update of the original SF2. Most of the changes are focused on the dialogue/story; the more notable visual/gameplay differences such as the new CLRC class don't come into play until later in the game.

For a more detailed information, I'd like to encourage you to take a look at the thread for the hack (see my signature below). There's of course also a download link, in case you'd like to take a look at this thing yourself.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.