Shining Force II: vigor balls in the (PAL) SEGA CLASSIC COLLECTION

how many vigor balls?

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

rid1ey
Shining Member
Shining Member

vigor balls in the (PAL) SEGA CLASSIC COLLECTION

Post by rid1ey »

i have the PAL/UK SEGA MEGADRIVE CLASSIC COLLECTION for xbox 360, does anybody now how many vigor balls are in this version?
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 4141-8948-4277
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey

https://www.instagram.com/stephen_ridley_art/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MXC
Shining Legend

Re: vigor balls in the (PAL) SEGA CLASSIC COLLECTION

Post by MXC »

It should be the standard game since I believe everything is just direct ports. I can't verify though.
rid1ey
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by rid1ey »

i only have 1 vigor ball and the chest in fairy town (semihidden/top left) is empty and the tree by the pond (monestry) has also been searched!

https://www.instagram.com/stephen_ridley_art/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SirHedge
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by SirHedge »

The Japanese version has only one Vigor Ball, which is the 2nd in the U.S. version located where you recruit Sheela (in the forest there). The U.S. version, however, has two, adding an additional vigor ball to the hidden forest. I'm not sure which method PAL/UK uses, but you can check by trying to gain access to the Special Stage. If you can get there by walking around the entire map, then it's like the U.S. and there should be two vigor balls. If instead the only way to access the Special Stage is on the bottom path by traversing some bushes hidden behind trees (it's not a straight path) and then walking up some invisible "stairs" above the tree line over the entrance and then back down again, then it's the Japanese version and there's only one Vigor Ball. Hopefully that made sense.
rid1ey
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by rid1ey »

yes perfect sense! i have both vigor balls now.

actually completed it today. zeon goes down pretty quick once you clear his minions.

SirHedge
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by SirHedge »

Glad to hear you found it! And ya, I wish Zeon was a bit more durable given that you can so easily surround him. He also has no resistances to magic (which is odd given that most of the Greater Devils do) making him even squishier.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

I feel like they tried to make the fight with Zeon difficult, and totally failed to realize that maybe players would consider taking out the Zeon Guards first. Either that, or hoped people wouldn't realize that you can Egress after defeating Galam to revive because of how SF1 treated doing that.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
greyskies
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by greyskies »

I don't know, I mean the Demon Breath II he uses is quite the devasting spell, and the fact that there's only one square for close-combat ground attackers to get in hits on him doesn't make it any easier to get his health down, even if one can surround him.
If he feels too easy you probably got access to Aura 4, but since almost every party ever runs Karna this is quite likely. #banAura4
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

I never found Demon Breath 2 to be a problem because, due to that spell, I've always attacked him with only one unit at a time. And because the enemies in the battle are so spread out across the huge battlefield, I've never had any trouble keeping everybody alive to fight Zeon with in that fashion. When he can only hit one character at a time, you have more than enough firepower to gradually take him down.

Regarding Karna, I basically never use her, and even if I do it's not like I ever get to a high enough level with my healers to learn spells like that. Pretty much the only Creed characters I ever choose are Tyrin, and Eric, and while I do sometimes go ahead and recruit the others later I'm generally not really interested in stopping to grind in a game where grinding isn't mandatory.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
greyskies
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by greyskies »

hm... I concede that it's been a long time since I played vanilla SF2, so my memories on how tough that fight is are most likely clouded. Before writing my comment, I took a peek at someone's playthrough on Youtube, and they didn't seem to have an easy time with keeping everyone alive, nor whittling down Zeon with attacking one person at a time.

Anyway, no Karma-shaming intended. I just wanted to push my Anti-Aura4-Propaganda. :blush:

SirHedge
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by SirHedge »

I will agree that it's not easy to keep everyone alive against Zeon simply because a double attack from him will take out a lot of characters, and a demon breath + double attack will take out anyone. So you need to fully heal after every one of his attacks if you want to guarantee life to all your characters -- a requirement that's simply not possible. Still, there's more than a couple of lucky Zeon takedowns given that he goes down so quickly, he only has a 25% chance of a double, and your healing can sometimes occur between his attacks.
greyskies
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by greyskies »

Yeah, the thing is that if you bring in a healer they'll most likely have to eat two Demon Breaths, and while the person attacking Zeon up front may be able to take them. Sarah, Karna or Sheela won't.

My usual strategy is to pick a good moment and then go all in with the whole party, since I always use a lot of ranged DDs and flyers the setup of the area isn't too much of a disadvantage. This of course means everyone gets a piece of Zeon's stinky breeze...

MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

greyskies wrote:Yeah, the thing is that if you bring in a healer they'll most likely have to eat two Demon Breaths, and while the person attacking Zeon up front may be able to take them. Sarah, Karna or Sheela won't.

My usual strategy is to pick a good moment and then go all in with the whole party, since I always use a lot of ranged DDs and flyers the setup of the area isn't too much of a disadvantage. This of course means everyone gets a piece of Zeon's stinky breeze...
Yeah, that is actually were Pegasus knights with range 2 weapons become really useful, you can put them at the back or side of Zeon and when he uses his stinky breath on them the person standing in front of him does not get hit :thumbsup:
Crococdile03

Post by Crococdile03 »

rid1ey wrote:i have the PAL/UK SEGA MEGADRIVE CLASSIC COLLECTION Transfers Orly for xbox 360, does anybody now how many vigor balls are in this version?
I think there are 15 vigor balls in this version
rid1ey
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by rid1ey »

ok - thanks