Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Palettes

...in one place.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Palettes

Postby Wulfunruh » Sat Jan 21 2017 10:15pm

I've been reading up on hexadecimal...but I'm making zero progress towards understanding enough to edit. Hell, I'm even making progress creating original sprites. Can someone teach me how to edit palettes? The caravan is a beautifully created editor however, the main character's palette (for walkabout sprite) leaves me with almost zero options. I'm to the point I'd almost pay a tutor.
Wulfunruh

Re: Palettes

Postby SirHedge » Sun Jan 22 2017 12:25am

You're asking two different things. If you want a quick and dirty introduction to hexadecimal hacking, at least for what most people do, check my signature. If you want to do some serious hacking, you'll want a program that helps you (ask someone like ronnen to tell you which one to grab).

On the flip side, if you want to edit palettes with the Caravan, all you need to do is first export the sprite, open the sprite in a graphical editing program that let's you edit palettes of images directly (I use iDraw, but Irfanview I think also works). Then edit the palette (don't change the image at all - just change the colors that are provided in the palette -- don't add new colors either, just change them). After you have colors you like, just import the image back into the Caravan and it'll figure out the new palette.

That second part sounds complicated, but once you do it once it's really easy. Just export the image, edit the image's palette using some graphical editing program, and then re-import it back into the Caravan.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Wulfunruh » Sun Jan 22 2017 12:34pm

Interesting, I've clicked "SF2 Hacking Resources" maybe a hundred times, but never thought to click the link under. That's an excellent start, and everything I read clicked afterwards. I see it's simple with the resources however, in regards to enemy AI or palettes, how do people know where the code would be? Is it just from different tools like hivepal? I noticed that this bin would have to be broken apart to see some things, that or I'm using hivepal wrong.

Also, as for Caravan. You said edit, not change? Are you speaking to the order of the color map?

Edit: Ha! I win! I found the palettes, and am now editing! Now on to other values!!!

Edit 2: I am such a jackass...all battle sprites use the same palette...which can be edited in Caravan... At least I know how to find and replace them now! Ha. If only there were a way to make different sprites reference different palettes. Moving on I guess...
Wulfunruh

Postby SirHedge » Mon Jan 23 2017 5:56am

I'm glad you're making progress, but I'm a little confused as to what you're talking about now. Do you mean the little on-map sprites? Or the full sized cut-scene sprites? The small on-map sprites do use all the same colors (which is why the Evil Bishop is colored blue on the map, but purple in battle), but the full sized sprites can all use different palettes.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Wulfunruh » Mon Jan 23 2017 12:22pm

Yes, I was talking about the small 24x24 sprites. As for the battle sprites, I'm glad I learned what I did because now I can change the palettes to my heart's desire. Unless SF2 throws a compressed curveball at me... We'll see. I do have to figure out a way to have the game reference two different small Sprite palettes... I want darker colors without ruining the force.
Wulfunruh

Postby ronnen » Thu Jan 26 2017 9:39pm

Not that you haven't figured most of this out but...

If you want to edit stats/number type things ... use SpaceKing's SF2Edit
If you want to edit maps / placements / palettes / art ... use BNC's Caravan

If you want to edit HOW the game works (i.e. assembly - adjust how damage is calculated, exp works, movement, etc), look at getting IDA pro. However, BNC and Wiz (and some small things I added a few years ago) have done work on documenting the code in a decompiled form that makes that somewhat unnecessary step. Further, have created an easy compiler. See the stickies
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25796
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25809
ronnen

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Wiz » Thu Feb 09 2017 12:48am

Not sure if that could be of any use compared to the Caravan but just in case, I'll just leave it here :
I've just made a rough and very basic palette editor with my usual import/export functions for ROMs or disassemblies :
https://github.com/ShiningForceCentral/SF2PaletteManager/releases/latest
Not worth its own topic as it's most importantly the first brick to my future graphics-related tools, but it might help to play with any palette from SF2 or SF1, if you know the ROM offsets to apply (points to basic UI/sprites palette at 0x309E by default).
It can even handle bigger palette chunks like the weapon palettes, for example.
Wiz

Return to Shining Force II