The project is hosted on a git repository on GitHub, under the ShiningForceCentral account :
The main purposes of SF2RE are :
- to reverse-engineer Shining Force II with IDA Pro,
- to share disassembly content with IDA Pro IDC scripts,
- and ultimately, to produce a split disassembly which can build back into the original game, while offering as much flexibility as possible for new games, hacks and mods based on Shining Force II.
Original post :
SF2RE will focus on collaborative Reverse-Engineering of the game.
As with SF2DISASM, SF2RE has two main places :
- SF2RE's repository will allow to share disassembly scripts in IDC text format, which seems to be a good compromise for collaborative work on our disassembler, IDA Pro.
- SF2RE's wiki will store anything SF2DISASM's wiki shouldn't : quick notes, ideas, documentation drafts, everything that can be useful to people reverse-engineering the game, but not useful for people willing to use SF2DISASM's split disassembly. (as explained here)
For the moment, BNC and I still have to make sure that this IDC-way of sharing a disassembly properly works with no data loss, and viable, documented methodology, but we're quite confident in that.
With SF2RE and SF2DISASM, we now have a proper workspace on which we can ALL share our efforts for our main goals :
- Document SF2's content
- Produce a split disassembly for extensive modifications
- Enjoy new epic and tactical adventures !