Shining Force II Hacking: Stat Growth Curve Patch + Editor

Leveraging SF2EditDotNet

A place for Shining Force 2 hack discussion, editing tools, new hacks etc.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

ronnen
Shining Member
Shining Member

Stat Growth Curve Patch + Editor

Post by ronnen »

I made a patch for Nightshade about a year ago that I don't think I publicly released for use in his Battle Royale hack.

It compresses the stat growth curves to double the number of possible growth patterns available (and changes the handling logic to work with the compressed data).

I am also now going to include in this patch/package some xmls for use with SF2EditDotNet which will allow someone to use a GUI to edit and use these new growth patterns without having to do what poor Nightshade had to do: edit them in the hex by hand.

Also, I updated the existing "Levels" editor xml to include a way of modifying the "out of bounds level up" stat gains (i.e. level ups past level 30) as well as a way to modify at what level it will start using the "out of bounds level up" algorithm instead of the normal level up routine which leverages the stat growth curves.

There is also a brief README file included.

Without further ado:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/1/27/ ... dPatch.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To MXC specifically, since he made a request along these lines:

I was unable to make a "good" patch which caused pre-promotion characters to use "out of bounds" stat gains at level 10 and at the same time make post-promotion characters use "out of bounds" stat gains at level 25. There just isn't much room in the ROM in that area.

I did experiment with adding long jumps to other parts of the ROM to do a little processing where there was some free space... as well as with overwriting some logic that maybe isn't wholly necessary (Priest "cure" option)... both of these had some buggy behaviors that I felt were sufficient to not release.

As such, I'd make the following suggestion: since all you are doing is trying to test level up schemes, I'd suggest you play with two nearly identical ROMs where the only difference is one is set to "out of bounds" at level 10, and the other at level 25. You can swap which ROM you are using at some appropriate mid-game point (renaming so as to be using the same savestate / SRAM files) and that would emulate the behavior you seek.

I made the "Levels" modifications for MXC to play with because it will allow him to do the above, as well as tweak the "generosity" of the "out of bound" stat gains because it is probably much "nicer" than he'd like based on conversation.

Sorry I was slightly over my due date of Feb 15th. I really wanted to get a 10/25 patch made per your request, but it was just too problematic given my time constraints.

Edit: also I fail at meandering usage of person / perspective - MXC, you, him, etc. /facepalm
SirHedge
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Stat Growth Curve Patch + Editor

Post by SirHedge »

It looks like File Den is dead, so does anyone have this patch? For whatever reason I don't, but would like to grab it if possible.
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

Pretty sure I downloaded it, and that this is it.
CompressedGrowthsPatch.zip
Yeah, Fileden went balls-up a bit ago. All their drives went into meltdown. I lost a few files. Don't think there was anything linked that was vital, as i think I kept the milestone hacks elsewhere.

They were bought out by cx.com, which is a cloud-based filehost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator

SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
SFCW Gaiden- Shining Souls: Ragengo Image
SirHedge
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by SirHedge »

Thanks Stor! Haven't actually patched anything yet, but this looks to be what I wanted.
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

No problem dude. Lucky I nabbed it when i did.
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator

SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
SFCW Gaiden- Shining Souls: Ragengo Image