Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Hack Library

Looking for something hack-related? Check here first.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

The Hack Library

Postby Drakonis » Wed Dec 10 2008 12:44pm

I thought it would be a good idea to have a threat where links to all the hacks are gathered - it's easy to miss them when the threads for them sink down to pages 3+. It would be great if this thread could be stickied... but I'm not the one to decide that ;)
if you have links to Hacks I haven't noticed or other ideas for this topic just post 'em

before we begin...:
How to apply an IPS-Patch
You'll need an IPS-patching tool like ipsXP or winIPS. Google/Yahoo for them, it's pretty easy to find them.
To ensure nothing goes wrong, you should have an unmodified Rom with the same name as the one the creator used for his hack. It -could- work if you use another SF2 Rom, but I never tried, so i can't tell. IIRC, it HAS to be a .bin rom.
Since most IPS-tools are pretty easy to use, you should be able to apply the patch without any problems by double clicking the patch and selecting the unmodified rom.

Have fun playing the Hacks :)

The links will bring you to the threads where the hacks where released.

BNC's Hardtype Hack
Scroll a bit down for the dl link. its not in the initial post.
Original links in this thread are dead. Mirror uploaded by SirHedge

SFII: Milestone Edition #
A good number of different people where involved in creating this awesome hack, with Stordarth bringing all of the pieces together to make it work. It adds all characters to your party at level one and unpromoted, removes the adventuring between battles and removes Bowie's leader status, thus making Solo Games possible!

SFII: Milestone Edition: 12-Man Marathon #
Built upon the solid foundation of the Milestone Hack by Stordarth, the 12-Man Marathon allows players to pick their full dream team of 12 from the very start. New monsters have been added, and new monster tactics have been implemented to keep the game challenging for the larger force in the beginning of the game, and just to put players to the test towards the end of the game. if you find the default game too easy, try this hack for size.

Nightshade's SF2 Battle Royale

BNC's Survival Mode Hack

Ragnarokker's XMC Hack

Obob's Challenge Mode Hack

Drakonis' Balance Hack ^

ShiningForceHero's Hack ^

Zeon-Darksol's Short(big) Hack

BNC's Halloween Hack

Hedges' SFII Remake Hack

Dark Claw's Shining Tactics

Hirsute's Shining Force 2.3

AminKhan's SFII Evil Dawn

Stordarth's Chaos Braker revival #
Not really a hack like the others but still important enough to be stated here, IMO ;)

Space King's Unpromotion Patch
This should demonstrate how to add basic classes to the characters that lack them. Graphics might be screwy.

A great tool to edit your Roms on your own:
Space King's SF2Edit
Thanks, Space King, for that really awesome tool.

And another great editor for SF II.
BNC's The Caravan
with their powers combined, you can do a LOT of stuff with the game.

Search in Battle fix
The name explains it all. Fixes the bug in US and EU versions of the game.

3-Digit Stats
Nice little hack which makes all stats displayed in up to 3 digits.

Frayja Join Patch: Changes the game to stop Frayja automatically joining the force the minute he shows up.

NEW, 17/03/13: Glitchless search in battle/Light of Hope and Life Ring restoration: Does what it says. Allows searching, and reinstates the Light of Hope and Life Ring chests - removed from the US/EU releases - to the Fairy Woods Special Stage.

=====================================================================

~~~
Hack-Related References
~~~
Stordarth here. In an effort to keep everything hack-relevant to a single source, I'm using this section to link to threads that are useful for those wishing to hack, but aren't hacks themselves.

SF2 Text Banks
Use the attacked text file to locate any dialogues in the game quickly and easily. if you recall a phrase, search for it, note the line number and text bank number, and voila! Saves tons of time compared to trawling through hoping to stumble upon it! Thanks to BNC and myself for this. Mostly BNC.

Enemy AI Research
A thread discussing the various AI types used by the monsters. If you want to skip the various discussion, i submitted a file with the most up-to-date interpretations of the AI here. Another useful AI post by Nightshade00123 can be found here

Nightshade's Hex Finds
New Member Nightshade00123 has made some interesting Hex progress and found information on various things, from stat caps, unlimited brave apples, HP and MP regen and Enemy Spell damage multipliers.

Hex values to remove Sorcerer Spell Damage Splits

Post containing my findings on which Maps are currently safe to edit in the Caravan.

Savestate Party Table Maker
Not hack-related per se, but a useful tool for printing character's stats from save states to save typing them out. Useful for team game comparisons, or for runs where you want to compare characters quickly, such as is being discussed in the 'Best Party' thread.

Windows 7 vs. The Caravan
The caravan has issues with Windows 7 at times. This thread possesses information to fix that.

BNC's Interesting Discoveries
Contains a crapton of discoveries and dicussion about said discoveries. Worth a look.

SF2 Edit Data Import File by Sir Hedge
A handy file that allows for quick, easy editing and importing of character stats in Space King's SF2 Editor[/size]

===

Earl's Discoveries

Act Scripts

Event Commands

Map setups and how events work

Remove Peter and Jaro's AI

Script by BNC. I don't know how it works, but it causes everyone, not just standard healers, to gain experience from healing magic and items.

Hex Location: A880 to A883
Original: 4E B9 00 00
Change to: 60 00 00 20

Sir Hedge's Hack Resources: Contains a bunch of useful links to patches and hack procedures not contained here.

* Hacks marked with an asterisk have been reported as having dead links.
# Hacks marked with a hash are formerly dead links recently restored.
^ Hacks marked with a carat directly link to the hack file instead of a forum post.
Last edited by Drakonis on Thu Apr 20 2017 10:48pm, edited 10 times in total.
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: The Hack Library

Postby Obob » Wed Dec 10 2008 1:25pm

I'm surprised you missed mine, Drakonis: many of the ideas in your hack were already present in mine.

Obob's Challenge Mode Hack
Obob

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Drakonis » Wed Dec 10 2008 2:17pm

You're right, I really got most of my ideas from your hack. I never played it but the list of your changes was inspiring enough. must have missed it somehow :blush: Sry for this. i'll put the link into the first post. Hope you're not too upset about that, I was kinda in a hurry since i made that post during lunch break at work...
But that shows how urgently needed such a topic was ;)
And that we should trust our feelings sometimes. I almost knew I missed something but just couldn't find a thread with another hack. should've remembered this if I had thought a bit about it...
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby The Evil Dead » Thu Dec 11 2008 11:36pm

Since I'm a noob to this, are there really any hacks that are actually worth playing and made by someone that would know how to properly balance a title as far as the stats go?
I have to return some videotapes.
I have to return some videotapes.
The Evil Dead

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Obob » Fri Dec 12 2008 1:10am

I'd like to think that my hack is balanced, in that

(1) the members of the force are all fairly useful, without any being particularly overpowered or underpowered.

(2) the difficulty level throughout the game is relatively consistent.

The entire goal of the hack was to make things balanced, not just to give characters cool abilities or make enemies needlessly annoying.

However, I will admit that my hack is also fairly hard, and if you aren't looking for a challenge it probably won't be your cup of tea. It's probably best just to read some of the comments in the thread and see if it might be for you. Either that, or just try out the first few battles and see if you enjoy yourself.
Obob

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Space King » Fri Dec 12 2008 1:45am

Add a link to BNC's editor pls.

Mods: please sticky this. I think it's stick-worthy.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Drakonis » Fri Dec 12 2008 12:37pm

Of course, the caravan. I'll add that. BTW, I think i heard that there are progressions as far as what the caravan does, but was there ever a version in public after the v0.1?

EDIT: @ the evil dead: I think obob's suggestions to look at the comments in the topics related to the hacks is the best way to find out if you could like a hack or not.
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Zeon-Darksol » Thu Dec 18 2008 4:11am

Drakonis @ Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 pm) wrote: Of course, the caravan. I'll add that. BTW, I think i heard that there are progressions as far as what the caravan does, but was there ever a version in public after the v0.1?

EDIT: @ the evil dead: I think obob's suggestions to look at the comments in the topics related to the hacks is the best way to find out if you could like a hack or not.

There was a public version. Now im going to sound whiny and complain but....

When is the next version coming out. comeooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
HC Zeon-Darksol
-----

I may be crazy but.... im not as crazy as Balbazak

Z Master @ Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:19 pm wrote: Im a retard. I admit it.
HC Zeon-Darksol
-----

Zeon-Darksol

Whacked with the Banstick

Postby Kcid » Thu Dec 18 2008 9:59am

Is there a way to hack the text/dialogue in the game? Even if I don't screw with the stats of the characters and enemies, I really want to make a NSFW version of the game with the dialogue. I don't know why, but I think it would be hilarious.
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby KoLAddict » Thu Dec 18 2008 10:42am

Kcid @ Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:59 am) wrote: Is there a way to hack the text/dialogue in the game? Even if I don't screw with the stats of the characters and enemies, I really want to make a NSFW version of the game with the dialogue. I don't know why, but I think it would be hilarious.

lol, that'd be awesome. If the base game was completely unaltered but the text was NSFW, I'd play that for sure.
PS ID and GamerTag: KoLAddict
KoLAddict

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kcid » Thu Dec 18 2008 11:01am

Find me a program or some way to hack to alter every dialogue in the game and I'll do it. I would love to start the game with:

Bowie's mom:

GET THE F*** OUT OF BED YOU'RE LATE AGAIN! THAT'S WHY YOU'RE SO G** D*** STUPID!

Except with no edited content.
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby KoLAddict » Thu Dec 18 2008 12:02pm

Kcid @ Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:01 am) wrote: Find me a program or some way to hack to alter every dialogue in the game and I'll do it. I would love to start the game with:

Bowie's mom:

GET THE F*** OUT OF BED YOU'RE LATE AGAIN! THAT'S WHY YOU'RE SO G** D*** STUPID!

Except with no edited content.

lol. Now I want to play through the game and think of NSFW dialogue for every scene
KoLAddict

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Zeon-Darksol » Thu Dec 18 2008 1:52pm

KoLAddict @ Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:02 pm) wrote: lol. Now I want to play through the game and think of NSFW dialogue for every scene

LOL....so do i!

That would be awesome. :excited:
HC Zeon-Darksol
-----

HC Zeon-Darksol
-----

Zeon-Darksol

Postby Drakonis » Fri Dec 19 2008 4:55pm

Added Zeon-Darksol's Hack. Now there are quite a lot Hacks. I wonder if somebody is SFII-addicted enough to play them all :D

I'm still in favor of a sticky btw ;)

EDIT: Grammar.
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kcid » Fri Dec 19 2008 7:10pm

Zeon-Darksol @ Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:52 pm) wrote: LOL....so do i!

That would be awesome. :excited:

It's going to take me a long time to edit the game and test it all, but I just started working on it.
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Zeon-Darksol » Sat Dec 20 2008 4:44am

Drakonis @ Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:55 pm) wrote: Added Zeon-Darksol's Hack. Now there are quite a lot Hacks. I wonder if somebody is SFII-addicted enough to play them all :D

I'm still in favor of a sticky btw ;)

EDIT: Grammar.

Thanks....
Im starting another hack now, and continueng that one in enemy editing. Hopefully it allows it to stay up because its a raw rom, and not a patch. Im starting a playthrough hack, hopefully i actually finish it, it will have no class changes, some enemy changes, and minor character rebalance. In this i think i only left what, 10-12 characters out of the 30 alone. :D, giving alot of new character to play on though, with edits. Also this needs a sticky. Easier way to find all the hacks, and we are getting quite a big hack list, ima edit shining force 1 next with its editors :p. Then im gonna continue my hack, just a small break to mess around with the shining force 1 editors :excited:

Anyways KCID i would almost wait untill the caravan has complete editing, but who knows how long untill that is released, i wouldnt dought if he never releases another demo but waits 3 years and releases the final version......
HC Zeon-Darksol
-----

HC Zeon-Darksol
-----

Zeon-Darksol

Postby Kcid » Sat Dec 20 2008 9:18am

Zeon-Darksol @ Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:44 am) wrote: Thanks....
Im starting another hack now, and continueng that one in enemy editing. Hopefully it allows it to stay up because its a raw rom, and not a patch. Im starting a playthrough hack, hopefully i actually finish it, it will have no class changes, some enemy changes, and minor character rebalance. In this i think i only left what, 10-12 characters out of the 30 alone. :D, giving alot of new character to play on though, with edits. Also this needs a sticky. Easier way to find all the hacks, and we are getting quite a big hack list, ima edit shining force 1 next with its editors :p. Then im gonna continue my hack, just a small break to mess around with the shining force 1 editors :excited:

Anyways KCID i would almost wait untill the caravan has complete editing, but who knows how long untill that is released, i wouldnt dought if he never releases another demo but waits 3 years and releases the final version......

Yea, it's still pretty buggy editing the text...sometimes it doesn't work and instead of what I put it does wierd shit like

adjfn;.. oasdif
;awejaaAAA
Evil Spilit...
He's oldlafj;klaaa

It'll take too long to test every single line. But for what I have now is hilarious...and pretty offensive, especially if you're black or gay. Anyways...if you wanna see what I have so far let me know. I have a decent portion of dialogue from start to the second battle.
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Zeon-Darksol » Sat Dec 20 2008 3:11pm

Kcid @ Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:18 am) wrote: Yea, it's still pretty buggy editing the text...sometimes it doesn't work and instead of what I put it does wierd shit like

adjfn;.. oasdif
;awejaaAAA
Evil Spilit...
He's oldlafj;klaaa

It'll take too long to test every single line. But for what I have now is hilarious...and pretty offensive, especially if you're black or gay. Anyways...if you wanna see what I have so far let me know. I have a decent portion of dialogue from start to the second battle.

PM me with what you got.
HC Zeon-Darksol
-----

HC Zeon-Darksol
-----

Zeon-Darksol

Postby Drakonis » Sat Dec 20 2008 3:23pm

Kcid @ Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:10 pm) wrote: It's going to take me a long time to edit the game and test it all, but I just started working on it.

Sounds hilarious, want to have a look on this as soon as you have most of it done.
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kcid » Sat Dec 20 2008 9:20pm

Haha, well...now I have to start over...the text somehow got shifted a few lines ahead or something and everyone is saying stuff that was supposed to be said at later scenes.

I'll get a preview of it soon, though.
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining Force II