Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Fixing the AGI /skip turn glitch

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Fixing the AGI /skip turn glitch

Postby MCRT » Tue Apr 04 2017 5:27pm

Hi,

I wonder if anyone ever created a fix for the agility glitch that causes boost to let your characters skip a turn.

The 2 ways I could think of would be changing the AGI cap from 100 to 82 or (for real uber-mega pro's) to change boost to keep it from boosting the AGL over the cap.

So did anyone ever try this?
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Fixing the AGI /skip turn glitch

Postby Lord Kane » Sun Apr 09 2017 7:40pm

As far as I know, such a patch doesn't exist up to now. But I second you, such a fix would be very appreciated. :excited:
And i also second your two ways to solve the problem. :thumbsup:

So who can master and wants this noble task? :)
Lord Kane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SirHedge » Tue Apr 11 2017 12:36am

If you're just looking to set the AGI cap, you can do so by changing the following two hex locations:
0X880B Agility stat cap.
0x881F Agility Equipment cap.

If you want to read more about the AGI stat, you can read Nightshade's post about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19496&p=565070&hilit=0x8755#p565070
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MCRT » Tue Apr 11 2017 2:52pm

Thanks for the hint SirHedge, I found the same topic yesterday morning after browsing some old topics (I somehow overlooked that it is linked in the hack library :damnit: )

After some thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that changing the agility level cap from 100 to 82 would actually be no good solution, as:
- a lot of character would end up at 82 Agility, making the turn order a little bit messy
- with boost and quick ring you could still break the 127, making the quick ring still useless outside of early fairy stage levelling.

After reading Nightshade's explanation and Lord Kane's calculation in this topic (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21118&p=600420&hilit=agility+skip#p600420), I nevertheless decided to revive my hexing skills.
But Nightshade stated that changing the boost cap could also turn out a little bit messy in regards to double turns.

Therefore I spend the whole afternoon yesterday with some in game testing and came to the conclusion that the best solution is to just change the boost/equipped agility cap to 112 while leaving the level stat cap untouched.
This way:
- the characters will have their natural agility order but also never skip a turn
- you can make use of the quick ring (to make sure that your boost caster has a higher change to get his turn before the other agi 100 chars)
-and it has no effect on the double turns of the enemy :thumbsup:

I also created a patch for those who are not into hex editing. So here it is:
Shining Force 2 (U) AGL fix.rar

EDIT: added the patch to the post. It is a regular ips patch, I just had to put it into a rar as ips cannot be attached to posts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Kane » Sun Apr 16 2017 8:05pm

Great work MCRT and also thanks for the hint SirHedge!! This patch arrives in perfect timing since I'm at the moment playing BNC's Survival Mode Hack and I'm at the battle with King Galam. At least two of my heroes have reached AGI=100 and while other's are also nearing this limit I'm always fearing using boost on them. So your patch is extremely helpful for me. I will try it tomorrow!! Thanks a lot! ;)

Edit: IT WORKS!! :excited: :excited: :)
Lord Kane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby cloudiar_ » Sun Apr 23 2017 12:20pm

MCRT wrote:Thanks for the hint SirHedge, I found the same topic yesterday morning after browsing some old topics (I somehow overlooked that it is linked in the hack library :damnit: )

After some thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that changing the agility level cap from 100 to 82 would actually be no good solution, as:
- a lot of character would end up at 82 Agility, making the turn order a little bit messy
- with boost and quick ring you could still break the 127, making the quick ring still useless outside of early fairy stage levelling.

After reading Nightshade's explanation and Lord Kane's calculation in this topic (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21118&p=600420&hilit=agility+skip#p600420), I nevertheless decided to revive my hexing skills.
But Nightshade stated that changing the boost cap could also turn out a little bit messy in regards to double turns.

Therefore I spend the whole afternoon yesterday with some in game testing and came to the conclusion that the best solution is to just change the boost/equipped agility cap to 112 while leaving the level stat cap untouched.
This way:
- the characters will have their natural agility order but also never skip a turn
- you can make use of the quick ring (to make sure that your boost caster has a higher change to get his turn before the other agi 100 chars)
-and it has no effect on the double turns of the enemy :thumbsup:

I also created a patch for those who are not into hex editing. So here it is:
Shining Force 2 (U) AGL fix.rar

EDIT: added the patch to the post. It is a regular ips patch, I just had to put it into a rar as ips cannot be attached to posts.

I'm not sure that your patch works 100%, explain:

"- the characters will have their natural agility order but also never skip a turn"

In my case fail, some characters greater than 112 agility (no rings or boost), I've lost turns around 122-127 agility.

Another question, is it normal that your patch does not count +112 agility if equipped agility ring ???

Sometimes it shows 112 and it does not happen, others show the real value, it's strange ...

I just want to inform you maybe know whats need to fix, comment my case, I have the double-turn problem (original exploit skyp turn), that's why I used your patch ... maybe less happens, but not fix .

Any idea? Can it be fixed?

Thanks in advanced
cloudiar_

Postby MCRT » Wed May 03 2017 11:12am

At first sorry for the delayed answer, I had some technical laptop issues.

Lord Kane wrote:Great work MCRT and also thanks for the hint SirHedge!! This patch arrives in perfect timing since I'm at the moment playing BNC's Survival Mode Hack and I'm at the battle with King Galam. At least two of my heroes have reached AGI=100 and while other's are also nearing this limit I'm always fearing using boost on them. So your patch is extremely helpful for me. I will try it tomorrow!! Thanks a lot! ;)

Edit: IT WORKS!! :excited: :excited: :)

I'm glad you like it, especially as it were your calculations that spared me a lot of time for in-game testing to find the correct value :)

The issue really bugged me before, as SF2 has horrible character class balancing and I like to remedy the bad stat grows of classes like Birdmen or Sniper by promoting them later... but those classes all have high AGL growth and still need some boosting to survive on super

cloudiar_ wrote:I'm not sure that your patch works 100%, explain:

"- the characters will have their natural agility order but also never skip a turn"

In my case fail, some characters greater than 112 agility (no rings or boost), I've lost turns around 122-127 agility.

Another question, is it normal that your patch does not count +112 agility if equipped agility ring ???

Sometimes it shows 112 and it does not happen, others show the real value, it's strange ...

I just want to inform you maybe know whats need to fix, comment my case, I have the double-turn problem (original exploit skyp turn), that's why I used your patch ... maybe less happens, but not fix .

Any idea? Can it be fixed?

Thanks in advanced

Hi, all the patch changes is the max value for equipped/boosted AGL from the regular value (127) to 112.

Due to the way how the game handles turn order variances, the turn skip issue starts on the AGL value 113.

In the regular game, your agility from level ups cannot get higher than 100 (even if you will still get + agility messages), as this is the unequipped AGL cap. Once you reach 83 AGL, the skip turns issue happens as boost will bring you up to 114 AGL.

Therefore my first idea was to change this cap to 82, but this is value is too low as some characters have a really high AGL grows (the minimum for a 20/30p WIZ Kazin is 86), but instead of that I changed the boost/equip cap.

When you play a mod where the level-up AGL cap is higher than 112 or hacked your AGL stat to get it higher than 112, the patch does not work anymore for those characters, as the patch does not correct the way the game is programmed, is just prevents your regular AGL to reach the critical area via boost/quick ring.

Therefore, as long as your characters have exactly or less than 112 agility, everything is fine (yeah, the quick ring cannot bring you higher than 112). When different values than 111/112 are shown for the same character (with less than 112 AGL) after boosting him, this could also mean that patching the rom did not work.

Did you load the game via ingame saves or emulator savestates?

How did you actually get such a high AGL stat? :)
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby cloudiar_ » Fri May 12 2017 5:24pm

Hello man!

I use it in my hack (SF2 OVA Remake, its open to download :P), then problems with agility ring and others is serious with this too, have solved one of the big problems of this exploit, if use boost in +127 agility then character has three turns!!! Solution? I have changed agility effect in boost (and others use this).

Thanks for your new explanation, although it is not useful in my game, I appreciate your contribution :)
cloudiar_

Return to Shining Force II