Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon: How many new games until it becomes challenging?

Without being too hard.

Here's the place to discuss the "Resurrection of the Dark Dragon" game for GBA. Note that the original Shining Force has a seperate forum.
Hungry
Shining Member
Shining Member

How many new games until it becomes challenging?

Post by Hungry »

It's funny how even after all these years I find my way back to SFC whenever I get back in to Shining Force. I loved this remake, by the way. I know many of you think it's not as good as the original. They're vastly different, I'll admit. But this one has a lot of neat things that I enjoyed.

But there was really no challenge.

I promote at 10, and do not egress. I do not grind. And I hear that the difficulty increases as you play through more than once. So I wonder how many plays does it take to get difficult? Like is the second run much harder, or does it take like five or six goes? I made it through once. And I suppose I cannot rename max either for new game +? Because I gave him a rather silly name. And I like naming them every time. To be stuck with one name sounds dreadful.

Also I feel like Narsha and Mawlock are cheating. But they're a lot of fun.
Lucifer
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: How many new games until it becomes challenging?

Post by Lucifer »

I started to notice the difficulty increase at star 3, it became a minor issue by star 4 or 5, and by star 6 it was an adequate challenge. Here's a tip for the harder playthroughs: Abuse the Hero's card (obtained by starting your first "new game +") because it's effect will cast Egress and revive everyone free of charge. The Hero's name can't be changed for the "new game +".
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

6ish without egressing
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
Hungry
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Hungry »

Hm. On 2 star I've noticed subtle differences, but nothing significant. I feel like this game can be really unfair with enemy dodges and counters. Of course, maybe the original was the same. I only played through it once or twice like forever ago. So really in my mind I'm kind of comparing it to SF2 which seems to be more reasonable. Because I often keep my character's health low because I understand what kind of abuse they can take and give. But if someone is taking on an enemy that keeps dodging and countering... then all my calculations become irrelevant. And it seems to happen so much.

Vankar is a beast and keeps killing everything. Was he good in the original? I never used him because he's ugly.

Because of Mawlock and Narsha any character can be the best character. Well.... except this one guy... ;P

I ran a max solo because I know people often do that sort of thing. Boy, that was tedious. I don't know why people do that.

Everyone is overpowered at the beginning and end of the game, but somewhere in the middle-ish everyone just kinda sucks for a while. What's up with that. Oh, and I used mawlock to OHK the silver knight in the laser eye battle just to skip the whole thing because I didn't feel like doing it. That made the next battle hard though...

This game is silly.

Post by warrior's pride »

Some characters are much better than others. Mawlock and Narsha can't change that.`

Vankar is not a good character. None of the knights are any good and Vankar is far from the best knight.

The game starts to get difficult at about 13 or 14 stars. Ramladu and his robots become really difficult until he becomes save killable at star 21.

I just got star 30 today.
savekilling chimeras like a boss
Hungry
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Hungry »

Clearly there are distinct differences, and some characters never need any help. But Mawlock and Narsha can make a weak character as good as the rest for one battle if you choose to use them that way.

I didn't think Vankar was good, but he's destroying everything. I've heard the stat gains can be pretty random though. So maybe it was some weird stroke of luck.
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

I have Max solos through I think 3 or 4 stars. The first two were insanely easy.
Hungry
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Hungry »

Kcid wrote:I have Max solos through I think 3 or 4 stars. The first two were insanely easy.
I did it on no stars. It was very easy. It wasn't very fun though. Did you enjoy your solos? Because honestly I don't understand the appeal.
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

It was more fun around star 2, since it got more challenging. It was still easy until about chapter 6, though. I liked it better than the LoGI solo I'm doing now, since RotDD moves much faster.
Hungry
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Hungry »

RotDD felt slow though. I guess solos just aren't for me.
KoLAddict
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by KoLAddict »

My issue is I play SF 2 more than 1, and I always have Turbo on when I play it, so going to 1 I have to give it a couple hours of playtime to get used to the slower pace because of it.