Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon: Shining Horse: Resurrection Review

Game review

Here's the place to discuss the "Resurrection of the Dark Dragon" game for GBA. Note that the original Shining Force has a seperate forum.
Chowwow

Shining Horse: Resurrection Review

Post by Chowwow »

I remember trying to play this remake, but I don't remember how long ago it was. Maybe 3 or 4 years. I was all like: :eyebrow: Seriously, what is up with these darned graphics? I'll never get used to them! It's okay, just take a deep breath and relax. Everything will be fine as soon as we get to the first battle. And away the horse-drawn carriage goes! Yah, mule! Yah! Giddy-up! All of a sudden Mawlock shows up! Woah mule!!!! Who the heck is Mawlock!? And what the heck are cards!? What a turn-off! I didn't like this! Didn't like any of it! The graphics look like a faded pastel tablecloth that was thrown into the washer and dryer too many times! And now Mawlock! Nobody cares about you or your blinking cards!

Thus commences the first battle. Ah, I remember it well from the old Sega version. Everyone has a tiny amount of HP and could die in two hits. The goblins were no match for my impeccable strategic maneuvering. On to the second battle! ....Mountains! Nothing but mountains as far as the eye can see! It takes for-eaking-ever to move The Force across cascades of rolling brown mountains! What a way to stomp out what little momentum I had! That's it! I'm quitting this GBA emulator and going back to my Sega emulator to play the original Shining Force games! Bah!

....And that was pretty much my initial exaggerated first impression of Resurrection of the Dark Dragon. How wrong I was. Today finds me with a job, a nice bank account, and a careless spender throwing little bits of moneys and gold coins at whatever tickles my fancy. And currently, my fancy is DS and GBA games. I'm a handheld kinda gamer. It just so happens that I've become enamored with Shining Force again. Due to my handheld-oriented ways, I thought for sure I could get into the Shining Force remake if I played it off the actual cartridge and not from an emulator.

I still love the original version infinitely more, but the more I played the remake, the less I was bothered by the graphics update. I even like it now. And by the way, did they bother to update the sound? It sounds nearly identical to the original -- and that's a major plus. The music and the sound gave me that nostalgic feel, and I'm super-glad the remake sounds the way it does. I think it helped me get into the game. Just go into the game settings, darken the background color to a deep blue and we're good to go!

The game was unfortunately easy -- that is unto the iron/steel enemy robots show up. All of a sudden, foes like Metal Claw and Jet show up and the difficulty takes a huge spike upward. Torch Eyes aren't too terrible though. But then I realized that, not only did Domingo have the most HP, but all the robot monsters were dealing out a mere 1 damage to everybody's favorite magic egg. (That's this guy --> :) ) So much for difficulty... And Dark Dragon was pitifully easy, thanks for the massive Supernova spell Max learns.

A walkthrough says that the game's difficulty increases every time you start the game again on the same file. When you beat the game and save, a yellow star appears on your file bubble. The game starts again and all Mawlock's cards that you collected from the previous play-through are retained! So I'm wasting no time and playing again, hell-bent on collecting every card, not forgetting Gong or Hanzou, and maybe perhaps possibly considering stopping by a random cave and nabbing Sugoi Mizugi and Kitui Huku. :shifty: (Yeah, I missed foolishly missed out on a lot during the first play-through.)

So all in all, great game. Undeniably great. Not even the graphics update can hold this game down. And not playing it on an emulator really helped. Oh, before I forget, could someone please tell me why Zylo is the ultimate power in the universe? But the moment he gets promoted, that ultimate power completely disappears and he becomes absolutely worthless? Why does this happen? Poor Zylo, I have to take him off the team. Maybe I shouldn't promote him at Level 20? Level 30 would be better? Apparently I shouldn't promote him at all!
"Fighting tires me....speaking tires me...I'm tired."
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Re: Shining Horse: Resurrection Review

Post by Lord Oddeye sama »

Did someone say...
Spoiler
Anyway! RotDD fixed some things and broke some others. Battle-wise, they massively improved the AI from the original but they changed a lot of other things that still made battles easy, just in a different way (I blame Mawlock!). I'm not a fan of the stat boost after each playthrough either, that's not the kind of "challenge" I'm looking for. A difficulty menu from the get go would have been just fine.

Funnily enough, it's the soundtrack that crossed the line for me. They ruined/repurposed some of the old tracks that sounded much better in the original. I'm looking at you, circus battle theme. Nevertheless, some of the new tracks aren't all that bad... except I can't help but imagine how they would have sounded on the old hardware instead. xD

I could go on. RotDD is far from being a horrible game, but I can't say I'm in a hurry to retry it anytime soon.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!
Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.
Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 51#p668069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zexxar
Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Post by zexxar »

The worst thing they did in the remake was definitely the "having to select a character before you can move him" funtion. This is so damn annoying and one of the main reasons I haven't replayed this game and always end up playing the original instead, except my participation in the Team SF GBA.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!
samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
Chowwow

Post by Chowwow »

zexxar wrote:The worst thing they did in the remake was definitely the "having to select a character before you can move him" funtion.
Oh.. huh. That is pretty goshzeon annoying, but I got used to it really quick. I noticed a few other subtle problems. If, while during a battle, you select a character and view his/her stats, the up and down buttons don't scroll to the next character. You have to dis-select, move the cursor to the character you want first, then check the stats. Yeah, there little things are a pain. What do you guys think of the "not being able to check the enemies stats or inventory without attacking them first" thing? I would like to check my foes' stats to plan my strategy properly... Heh, but not much strategy is needed. All you need to know is if the enemy AI is programmed to attack or stand ground.
"Fighting tires me....speaking tires me...I'm tired."
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

zexxar wrote:The worst thing they did in the remake was definitely the "having to select a character before you can move him" funtion. This is so damn annoying and one of the main reasons I haven't replayed this game and always end up playing the original instead, except my participation in the Team SF GBA.
Although this is annoying, I like the fact that this game moves MUCH faster than the original (by holding a button, Y or B I think, to scroll insanely fast past text and also "run" through maps and towns). My biggest complaint about this game is the spell progression. Why, oh, why does Tao learn blaze 3 at level 12, promoted or not? It makes no sense. Easily worked around and abused by not promoting early, but still a pain.

Other than that, there are some big time OP characters, and Max is one. I've solo'd the game with two stars before I had to do any kind of RNG abusing. And at 3 stars, I didn't have to do anything until chapter 7. It's still a good game, and I enjoy the crap out of it...I just wish it was a tad more balanced. And although the cards make it cheap, after about 6 stars you really start to need them.
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
zexxar
Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Post by zexxar »

Kcid wrote: Although this is annoying, I like the fact that this game moves MUCH faster than the original (by holding a button, Y or B I think, to scroll insanely fast past text and also "run" through maps and towns).
Thanks to using emulators only lately I can also move faster and skip text in the original thanks to frameskipping :)
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!
samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
ahmedvu153

Post by ahmedvu153 »

Maybe I should give a bit more details about the disassembly that can be built, because there is some funny hacking potential here
Ahmed