Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon: Problem with level-up

Here's the place to discuss the "Resurrection of the Dark Dragon" game for GBA. Note that the original Shining Force has a seperate forum.
Redfild09

Problem with level-up

Post by Redfild09 »

I really dont know what is happening. played well all the way before promotions but just after promoting the level-ups are acting strange! I had promoted them at level 19-20 ,the problem is theres no stat gain after the promotion on every level up and it happens with all of the members. though I had found this problem up to lvl 5 and then I stopped playing the game. :confused:
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Re: Problem with level-up

Post by Lord Oddeye sama »

This is happening because you promoted late. As a consequence, the better promotion level up gains will happen later. I did the same thing on my first playthrough and kept gaining rare 1s for one stat (often HP) until a certain level.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!
Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.
Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 51#p668069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Redfild09

Post by Redfild09 »

Can you explain in details ? from which level this is gonna be normal ? It would be helpful though i have to play it from the 1st chapter again to promote them early! :(
:q1: HAD A DREAM OF MAKING A VERSION OF SHINING FORCE GAME...IM ON MY WAY.:q2: :cool:
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Post by Lord Oddeye sama »

I'm not sure, it's been a while since I last played. This game uses some sort of chart to determine stat gains. It likely works like SF1, but with different numbers. So if you're well above some maximum promoted stat for a given level, chances are you won't see many stat gains until later levels, maybe level 10 promoted. Didn't prevent me from finishing the game though!

For reference, here is how SF1 handles level up gains: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 14#p306948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!
Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.
Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 51#p668069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

Seems like even when you promote early, the first 10 levels are horrible. It's like they are there to catch you up to the monster levels rather quickly without getting much stat gain from it. I like to promote kinda early because of this.
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
Redfild09

Post by Redfild09 »

Kcid wrote:Seems like even when you promote early, the first 10 levels are horrible. It's like they are there to catch you up to the monster levels rather quickly without getting much stat gain from it. I like to promote kinda early because of this.
This is really disgusting. At a point I thought theres some problem with the rom file. Why this happens ? any clue or this is just a part of the game ?
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

It's a mechanic built into the game, to help keep it 'balanced'.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Cailin's Character Sheet

SFCW Fiona's Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Rusty
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Rusty »

If you promote late, you get the better stats just a bit later. But either way, your level ups will be awful for like 5-10 levels (give or take).

The only reason to promote late is if the character learns spells and you want some of their spells potentially earlier (since learning levels for spells has also been altered. For example, if you don't promote Tao until level 20, she'll get Blaze Lv. 4. If you do, however, she won't learn it until level 20 promoted. That's a much longer time to wait.)

Frankly, they shouldn't have messed with those things. :/
wildrosebc
Forever Gabby's
Shining Legend

Post by wildrosebc »

There's a lot they shouldn't have changed, especially the individual characters. I LIKE making Guntz a tank. Now he sucks even if you do grind like hell.
Rusty
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Rusty »

Actually, Guntz is one of the stronger characters in this. They nerfed Bleu and turned him into a basically worthless character whose only purpose is to take hits. :/
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Righteous Force »

Omega Entity wrote:It's a mechanic built into the game, to help keep it 'balanced'.
lol

I'm never in this game's topic, since I have yet to find enough strength to play through this game... for some reason when I tried to play this game a couple of months ago, it just dissapointed me too much to be able to continue past the first or second battle. I still hope one day I find the strength to make it through it just for curiosities sake.

Post by ElminstersApprentice »

Promotion is a give and take system in any SF game. You can't expect uber-powerful characters on your first playthrough, and certainly not a 5th level promoted character.

If you want to take the sting off their stats, simply equip a weapon that says "for the advanced", these are weapons that are only usable by promoted characters, and are much more powerful than equipping them with standard weapons.
MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

the strange about the remake is that the promoted level 1 gains the same exp than the unpromoted lvl 1 instead of the unpromoted level 11, like it was in all other 2D Genesis Games (except shin2).... so the stat gains you normally would get from lvl 1 to 2, you get them at 11 to 12
Balbazak
The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Post by Balbazak »

There are 'empty' levels in this game. There is no way around them, even with the handy RNGA method, you can try and reset the level up all day long (trust me, I did) But each time the level will still grant you absolutely nothing.
It sucks, I don't know why the game does it, but it does.
Balbazak can often be heard, saying "I like stars" while being drunk.
:thumbsup:
ianzaku

Post by ianzaku »

Why does it seem that the higher your level in this game, the worst the stat increases are. I just started playing this version of the game, but i can see that my lvl 30 Max in this game is weaker then the lvl 15 Max i had in the original game.
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

Same thing as the promo levels 1-10...you don't get much stat gain after a certain level as well...seems like after 25 or so you rarely get any stats.
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
acsound
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by acsound »

It seems like this version of SF1 punishes you for late promotions and powerleveling.