Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Spell progression

It seems...stupid.

Here's the place to discuss the "Resurrection of the Dark Dragon" game for GBA. Note that the original Shining Force has a seperate forum.

Spell progression

Postby Kcid » Fri Jul 30 2010 2:53pm

Ok, this is what I'm getting. Basically, you have to be a certain level to learn a spell, regardless of being promoted. Is this right?

Example:

Anri learns Freeze 2 at level 13. Well, if I stay unpromoted, she will learn it at 13. If I promote at 10, she doesn't learn it until level 13 PROMOTED. WTF? I could stay unpromoted until 20, but then she won't learn another spell (Freeze 4 is next at 23 if the guide I'm looking at is correct) for 23 more levels for a total of 43 levels! If I promote at 10, I'll learn it after a total of 33 levels, but Freeze 2 and beyond come 10 levels later.

The promotion is strange in this game...I can't tell if I'm being punished for promoting early or late. What's the deal here?
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Spell progression

Postby Balbazak » Fri Jul 30 2010 7:14pm

It is pretty strange, eventually you figure out when to promote; you can either wait until 20 to promote, or remember that at level X you don't learn any more spells, so you can promote then.

Like when Anri learns Freeze 2 at 13, then I think she learns something at 18 or 19.
But I think Khris learns a great spell at 21, so in her case it could be better to promote early, just to get that spell faster.
But in the end, it's all preference. I like waiting until 20 to promote.
Balbazak can often be heard, saying "I like stars" while being drunk.

:thumbsup:

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby Kcid » Sat Jul 31 2010 4:47am

Do you end up with better stats if promoted at 20? My last game it seemed like the first few promotion levels didn't get hardly a thing (promoted around 15ish), but the same thing happened this time when I promoted at 10. It seems better to get that out of the way sooner, but if the end game stats are better with a 20 promo, I'll more likely do that for future runs as the game gets harder.
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Balbazak » Sun Aug 01 2010 6:15pm

It's hard to say if it's better at 20, there are plenty of levels where you just don't gain stats, even with the RNGA it won't give you any stats sometimes.

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby Colonel M » Sun Aug 01 2010 7:53pm

Meh, with Tao | Anri all you need is their Level 3 spells to rock house. Granted Tao can learn Blaze 4 by Level 20 unpromoted. Anri learns Freeze 3 by Level 16.
Thou Shalt Not Replace Me!

Shining Force II Log (No Egress, No Deaths, Super Mode

Youtube Videos (Up To Battle 7)
Dumbest Quote Ever Seen:
I think you are the only person I know who uses Pegasus Knights like Archers. Everyone else seems to use Knights as frontline fighters with a ranged option.

What can I say? I'm a bored man.
Thou Shalt Not Replace Me!

Shining Force II Log (No Egress, No Deaths, Super Mode

Youtube Videos (Up To Battle 7)
Dumbest Quote Ever Seen:
I think you are the only person I know who uses Pegasus Knights like Archers. Everyone else seems to use Knights as frontline fighters with a ranged option.

What can I say? I'm a bored man.
Colonel M

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Kcid » Mon Aug 02 2010 1:42am

I think that might be the plan for them next time around...I'll promote after I learn their level 3 spell. Domingo always kick ass because he doesn't promote (which is strange since you get characters after him that do, I figured they would have changed that).
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lucifer » Sun Dec 06 2015 4:32am

Sorry to necro this topic, but it seems like the most appropriate place to post my question:

Do Arthur's spells use the same crappy progression? I was considering using him, and was wondering if it was worth over-leveling for the sake of spells. For instance, does he get Blaze 1 at level 15 unpromoted/promoted or only when promoted?
Lucifer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MCRT » Mon Dec 07 2015 10:55pm

Lucifer wrote:Sorry to necro this topic, but it seems like the most appropriate place to post my question:

Do Arthur's spells use the same crappy progression? I was considering using him, and was wondering if it was worth over-leveling for the sake of spells. For instance, does he get Blaze 1 at level 15 unpromoted/promoted or only when promoted?

Maybe it is unclear explained, but for the sake of spell learning, all promoted/unpromoted levels are actually equal, so he learns it at 15 unpromoted or at 15 promoted if you promoted him on a lower level. The only exception are the spells that are learned at level 21 and higher, as you stop leveling at 20 unpromoted until you promote.

But normally a normal attack should do more damage, except you are in the late game of a high star's playthrough, where all enemies have a DEF stat around 90+

Also, IIRC, arthur learns only the first level of Blaze/Freeze/Bolt
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lucifer » Tue Dec 08 2015 12:06am

I asked because Wolfgang's site would have me believe that you must promote Arthur first, but that contradicts the usual spell progression considering the fact that his first 2 spells are at levels 15 and 20.

MCRT wrote:Also, IIRC, arthur learns only the first level of Blaze/Freeze/Bolt

That is correct.
Lucifer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon