Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Stars everywhere!

Here's the place to discuss the "Resurrection of the Dark Dragon" game for GBA. Note that the original Shining Force has a seperate forum.

Stars everywhere!

Postby Balbazak » Sat May 03 2008 5:27am

Star 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 is next! Recycling FTW
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I was showing my friend my latest star achievement, and he pointed out a really good point...

I only have 16 now! :shock:

For some reason, I counted the first playthrough with no star... as 1 star... :damnit:
I don't know how, it's right there everytime I turn the thing on...
Wow...
Sorry guys.
I lied/ messed up big-time. :(

On the bright side, finally got around to taking some pics (obviously)

Here's Rammy-boy on the 15th playthrough. :p

Quite the stats there. He had around 650hp. (closer and closer...)
Last edited by Balbazak on Mon Dec 15 2014 5:36am, edited 31 times in total.
Balbazak can often be heard, saying "I like stars" while being drunk.

:thumbsup:

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Re: Star 19 still on hold...

Postby Kaihaku » Tue May 06 2008 5:30am

You deceived me. I don't know that I can ever trust to you again.
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Balbazak » Tue May 06 2008 7:10pm

I know, I'm a terrible person. :(
I don't even now why I thought it was 17 when the very screen I look at every single time I start up the game says 16... :p
The two 15 stars are copies for enemy stats and 'just-in-case' game plans.
The 16 is the big one, but I haven't had time start playing it yet.

:shifty: please don't kill me guys...

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby Rick » Tue May 06 2008 9:03pm

dear god... 650hp = 650 individual attacks?

I mean even by only a couple of people... thats.... mental
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie

Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:

masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...

-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie

Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:

masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...

-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Rick

Lionheart
Shining Legend

Postby Balbazak » Wed May 07 2008 5:04am

The only real help there was Mawlock's attack all enemies for 25-30 damage, one time use, and then using the Chaos breaker for Freeze 4 twice every turn, but it only did about 8 damage every shot...
And because he can fall asleep, I got Hanzou in for two attacks every round also, for a whopping 2 damage a round, with the occasional double attack.
Also, that proves that double attacks are better than super attacks, super attacks can still deal 1 damage, double attacks can do 2, not much difference, unless you're hitting a guy with 650hp. :p

But, all things considered... still pretty crazy, for sure. :)

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby Kaihaku » Wed May 07 2008 6:44am

Balbazak @ Wed May 07, 2008 12:04 pm) wrote: Also, that proves that double attacks are better than super attacks, super attacks can still deal 1 damage, double attacks can do 2, not much difference, unless you're hitting a guy with 650hp. :p

So, Shining Force finally caught on to that little bit of wisdom. We metal babble hunters have known it for ages untold.
The Once and Future Kai
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Balbazak » Thu May 08 2008 3:40am

Well, the only way the Super attack is better is if/when the 'new' counter attack ability happens, If you kill the enemy with a Super, then they can't counter, but a double would also kill it, with the chance of a counter attack.
But the best is when you Double Super attacks. :thumbsup:
Musashi did that 4 times in my last run-through.

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby Assassins » Thu May 08 2008 3:54am

Kaihaku @ Wed May 07, 2008 6:44 am) wrote: So, Shining Force finally caught on to that little bit of wisdom. We metal babble hunters have known it for ages untold.

Too bad we can't fit Max with bladearmor
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby wcameron2005 » Tue May 20 2008 6:44pm

Balbazak @ Tue May 06, 2008 7:10 pm) wrote: I know, I'm a terrible person. :(
I don't even now why I thought it was 17 when the very screen I look at every single time I start up the game says 16... :p
The two 15 stars are copies for enemy stats and 'just-in-case' game plans.
The 16 is the big one, but I haven't had time start playing it yet.

:shifty: please don't kill me guys...

I don't really see why it makes a huge difference. One star, 17 to 16, I mean it's hardly the end of humanity as we know it, is it? EVEYONE FORGIVE BALBAZAK
wcameron2005

Stand and deliver or the devil he may take ya
Shining Hero

Postby Balbazak » Wed May 21 2008 6:01am

wcameron2005 @ Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 am) wrote: I don't really see why it makes a huge difference. One star, 17 to 16, I mean it's hardly the end of humanity as we know it, is it? EVEYONE FORGIVE BALBAZAK

Well, it's not really a big deal, it's just that I've basically been lying to everyone for 3 years. :(
That's the part I'm sorry about. :p
But thanks WC. :)

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby Novangel X » Wed May 21 2008 5:07pm

Meh, live and learn. Just hurry up and get star 17 and no one will notice the difference. :shifty:
Don't run.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die.
...Come watch TV?
Don't run.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die.
...Come watch TV?
Novangel X

Double Gene
Shining Legend

Postby Balbazak » Wed May 21 2008 5:38pm

Novangel X @ Wed May 21, 2008 10:07 am) wrote: Meh, live and learn. Just hurry up and get star 17 and no one will notice the difference. :shifty:

:lol:
Will do.
EDIT:
And to whom it may concern/blow away, the Goblins in the very first fight now have exactly 50hp. :p

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby Dominus_Draconis » Tue May 27 2008 3:31pm

wonder how many playthroughs before the savekill trick starts to work on all of the enemies X3
Dominus_Draconis

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Balbazak » Tue Jul 15 2008 10:32pm

Dominus_Draconis @ Tue May 27, 2008 8:31 am) wrote: wonder how many playthroughs before the savekill trick starts to work on all of the enemies X3

That would be... sweet! :lol:

If anyones still keeping track of my little :p runthrough, I'm at the Evil rings 'hoard'. :mwahaha:
I just got my first one and will work as fast as possible to get 24 again.
(It also helps that I've stopped playing Halo 3 for now, since I've reached 'Force Colonel' )
*Returns to playing his DS*

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby Doomblade66 » Fri Jul 18 2008 11:28pm

Out of curiousity...why do you bother getting 24 ? ?

I did it till I got 11, knowing there would be another one in Daemon Castle later on, to give me a total of 12 for the Force....one for each active character, if I wanted it.

Since you RNG anyways when using the Rings....you guarantee you will NEVER have a "But tiny cracks appear on the Evil Ring" - message pop up....thus 1-Ring per character is all you need ?

You'd save a LOT of time only getting 11/12 of them, then forging ahead towards Demon Castle where you can do your REAL full-time farming for the blessed Shield Rings ;)

Thoughts ?
Doomblade66

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Balbazak » Sat Jul 19 2008 5:49am

Doomblade66 @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:28 pm) wrote: Since you RNG anyways when using the Rings....you guarantee you will NEVER have a "But tiny cracks appear on the Evil Ring" - message pop up....thus 1-Ring per character is all you need ?

Not quite, there's always a chance that it will crack, no matter how many RNG's I stack up, and when I'm in a battle as tense at that one, I can't not attack with a ring, and I don't want to have a useless character.
So I get two for everyone. Just in case. :thumbsup:

forging ahead towards Demon Castle where you can do your REAL full-time farming for the blessed Shield Rings

I can't wait for that. :mwahaha:

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby Doomblade66 » Sat Jul 19 2008 8:49pm

Err...I must respectfully disagree with you on the Evil Rings thing, Big B.

I have NEVER (granted, in only 8-stars, not 16 ;) ) had a time where I was using an Evil Ring (or any other Item) and it broke/had tiny cracks appear, etc. which I was NOT able to RNG my way out of by resetting and doing the usual "open Item Menu, close Item Menu" - method to reset the RNG by 1 each time.

For example...in my current battle in Metapha, I'm boosting the Levels of Bleu and Alef (trying Bleu for the first "real" time that I can remember...and though his Defense is incredible - - - Colossus + Shield Rings + Natural Defense = Torch Eyes doing just 1-pt of damage to him ! - - - he has TERRIBLY low Attack (45)...even though he's Level-19, PROMOTED.....ugh. I don't know why they made the pure physical (no weapon) attackers so impotent....they have NO way to keep up with the guys who can equip Weapons and gain an extra 25-35 points of Attack, which is critical on later Playthroughs with the ridiculous enemies you face on a regular basis).

During the battle Bleu is using his SINGLE (1) Evil Ring to blast Ice Worms and Minotaurs, etc. and gain EXP. I have had times where I've been able to use it FIVE different RNG's (trying for a different Level up // Stat distribution each time) without it "tiny cracks appeared". On the 6th time I had it happen. I had it happen on the 7th too. On the 8th time, it did not happen and I got my DEF+5, Spd+3, HP+5....and was very content ! :thumbsup:

My point is...with ALL my characters...this entire Playthrough (when I've had 11 Rings since Alterone = 12 since Demon Castle), I've never had anytime where I tried to use it (save before hand every time if you are concerned) ...and it "tiny cracks appeared" - - then I was NOT able to RNG my way out of that happening.

Even if I have to RNG 5 times or 6 times to get it to activate WITHOUT it also getting "tiny cracks", I am able to do so.

THUS...I am just saying, I think your 24-Evil Rings thing is probably a bit unecessary. I'd like to see you get 12-15 (give 2 to critical characters if it makes you feel better ;) ) , then forge ahead to the real Farming Ground of Demon Castle where getting many Shield Rings is actually HELPFUL (since they stack, unlike Evil Rings, where you REALLY only need 1 per character).

(I've been Running Lyle around with 3-Rings...it's great...he has a standard DEF (before Collossus Card) of 45, at Level-23. With Collossus, he goes up to DEF-60, which means even the almighty Jets can only hit him for about 20-pts of damage....which is not THAT bad as he IS an Archer, and still has 48-HP to help him survive the blows)

Also, I don't know if you use this technique, but one thing I've found that's a great way to spend some money and help your team, overall....is to buy several Holy Mace's, from the Shop in Rudo (town of Children) in Chapter-6. You give 1 to each Character (or most of them), in addition to their 1-Evil Ring // Herbs for the usual EXP gains....and they each become a Healer, essentially !

You can cast Heal-3 with that, meaning a great 3-square range from the character, PLUS the ability to Heal something like "up to 30-HP, IIRC"...which is fantastic, esp. on Higher Playthroughs.

The best use though is that even if you DON'T RNG, the item is usually able to be used several times in a row before "the surface becomes cloudy", meaning time to Repair it. Thus, you can use it as a 10-EXP per use item for your characters, even if there is no-one to Heal, or they Heal them for 0-pts of damage (just like a Herb). If it becomes cloudy, it's only 1000-Gold to repair, and by the end of the game you should have TONS of gold anyways (I have 80,000+ in my Metapha battle so far).

Also, keep in mind that if you REALLY wanted to ensure Non-Cloudiness happened (if you were low on cash for some reason), you could just RNG the same as with the Evil Ring activations and ensure you got a time where the Holy Mace did NOT become cloudy/break/etc.

Anyways...just one helpful tip from one multi-playthrough-er to another ! :)
Doomblade66

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Balbazak » Sat Jul 19 2008 11:26pm

I think I'll try your method with... well... everything. :p
I'll get 11 Evil rings, maybe a few more for that 'just in case' factor. :)
(The only problem I can see with getting 11-15 rings is that when I get to Ramladu and can't beat him because of a shortage of rings, I'd essentially have to re-play the entire 17th level. :( )
But, I'll try it, because if it does work out well, then that cuts the time I would spend getting rings in half. :)

And I never thought of the Holy mace trick, that's really nifty, and it could help out in a jam. :thumbsup:

EDIT:
Big B
:lol:

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby Doomblade66 » Sun Jul 20 2008 12:06am

Excellent news ! Glad you liked the nickname - hehe.

Yeah, the Holy Mace thing is something I discovered 2-Playthroughs ago....not really a huge revelation, but something I suddenly realized....."Oh, Guntz can now become a healer !?" ....or...."Domingo can Float ...has Move-5...and now can carry a staff that casts Heal-3 for a further range of 3...!? Wow...an 8-square 30-HP healing anytime I need it ! ? YES please !".

As a bonus, you get the free 10-EXP per casting for any character using it, just like a Herb...but it never gets used up ! (if you RNG)

--------------------

PS - by the way....don't you find the game fairly tedious at Playthrough-17 ? I can imagine almost everything has 99 attack or near that, and almost the same for Defenses ?

My Chaos on 8-Stars has an Attack of 90 :shifty: and a Defense of 67 (IIRC). That's pretty crazy when my RNG'd Lyle (tried to get him good Attack increases) at Level-23....WITH a "Sniper" Arrow (one of the best ones in the game, only a few others later on are better)....has an attack of 68...WITH the Attack spell cast on him (so 60-naturally)....and STILL can only do 1-point of damage....that's fairly absurd.

Even with my Evil Rings casting Bolt-3/4....it's only doing around 10-12 points of damage to him (Chaos), as he has Magic Resistance around 30% now.

The idea that...as I go along...it would become even MORE absurd is too frustrating to imagine. Basically...Evil Rings will end up doing, what....2-3 points of damage ? Eventually 1 point ?

How is any of that fun ?
Doomblade66

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Balbazak » Sun Jul 20 2008 1:03am

I'm honestly not sure how I can keep playing this game. I mean, I took a break for a month or so, but then I thought about playing it again, and I was so psyched to play it again. It's hard to explain.
I'm also the same guy who has 2500 exp (over 9,000 exp now that Reach has come out) in Halo 3. (just so you understand the similarities, in Halo 3 you get one xp point for winning one game, unless it's a special double xp game)

But where I'm at in the RotDD game is like this:

I raised my Leader attack by 8. Now he deals 5 damage to Goblins. 5 damage. To Goblins.
But I still get away with not dying because I raise my defense by 15 ASAP in every battle. Later in the game (around the 6th chapter and onwards) I raise it by 15, just so I don't take 30 damage. (yes, I raise my defense by 15 to take 15 damage.)
Ouchies.
Last edited by Balbazak on Thu May 05 2011 4:34am, edited 1 time in total.

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon