Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Wind
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Fan Translation of this after 3 possible?

Discuss the followup to Shining Tears on the Playstation 2.

Re: Fan Translation of this after 3 possible?

Postby xan1242 » Thu Oct 27 2011 4:04pm

It seems a bit strange for me, because I drink tea very rarely.
xan1242

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Omega Entity » Thu Oct 27 2011 4:42pm

I rarely drink tea as well, but it's a relatively common turn of phrase. It's even in SFII.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Fri Oct 28 2011 3:33pm

'Tis an English idiom.

And I mean Great British English. Not American English.

Since, y'know, we all spend the entirety of our days having tea and biscuits whilst wearing top hats, what what!
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby xan1242 » Sat Oct 29 2011 12:07am

Tomorrow/today (depends) I shall start with the movie encoding and rebuilding the image. This will be just a test and practice to see how it is done.

Some little info on the game's image and structure:

This game's data is located in encrypted ROFS images ST.CVM and VOICE.CVM and as the filenames say, one of them contain voices and the other data. We will be looking at the data image only, unless someone is even going to dub it (which would be quite lame IMO).

To make it into a normal/unencrypted ROFS image, what you have to do is delete the first 00001800 (0x1800) part of the image and rename the file extension to iso and it will become a normal disc image like any other. I tried opening it up in Linux and it did not seem to work at first, but I was able to open it up later in Windows with UltraISO.

Some may say to just use Apache 3, but it crashes when you attempt to extract the files.

Alright, now onto the videos:

As I said earlier, this game uses the SoftDec video type, which is very similar or even identical to MPEG, and can be easily converted. But unfortunately enough, the video is encrypted, while the audio is not. Me and StorMyu (when he returns to Belgium) will look into that, but for right now even replacing the videos is enough, which I will be trying to do. If the unencrypting the videos fail, we can still record it off the real unit, although it would be a PITA to play the game throughout to see every video.

PITA = Pain In The Ass
xan1242

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby tman7776 » Sun Mar 11 2012 8:27pm

How's it going?
tman7776

Postby StorMyu » Tue Mar 13 2012 2:36pm

I don't know about xan1242 but this game requires much work than expected so... I'm helping that's all.
StorMyu

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Roch-Silverfang » Fri Mar 30 2012 12:30pm

I looked the movie and I appreciated a lot the story. A translation of the game would be fantastic, but I understand that it is not easy..

I support totally the idea !

Postby xan1242 » Fri Apr 06 2012 11:52pm

Well...

It's not going so well.... If anyone knows how to rebuild the CVS (ROFS) image the same as the game expects it to be, please let me know. I have tried to do it and it didn't work out. I get errors in the emulator console that the executable couldn't find some files in the memory as it expected. I have encoded the movie correctly though...
xan1242

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Wed Aug 08 2012 4:24am

there is a tool out there that allows you to rebuild ps2 dvd images, I forget what its called. I do not own shining wind myself so I couldnt tell you how it is structured, but what i did first was try to go through steps to find out what files stored the text, then worked from there
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Sep 13 2012 4:19pm

Although the original posts here are a tad old, some of them reminded me of a bothersome glitch I encountered once in a PS2 game, because the glitch was caused by the coding being translated for functioning in the English version of the game.

The game was Ar Tonelico 2, and the glitch involved a particular boss's attack. Every time I tried fighting the boss, the game would always freeze during the third turn of the battle when she would automatically try performing a certain move (fortunately it happens with an optional boss fight). I eventually looked into it online, and it was caused by the translation.

When they translated the game's code for the English version, that move's coding became too large during the translation from Japanese to English because it used such a long code as is. I guess the English code used up more data because English letters take up more space than Japanese symbols, or something (the site I found the information on was rather vague, so that detail is just as vaguely based on what the site's information seemed to be implying). That resulted in the PS2 being unable to read it, so the game would freeze when it tried.

I read a fan-made patch for the game's ISO was eventually released to compress the attack's English code so an emulator could run it though.

It's not quite the same sort of potential problem as unalligned text, but I still felt to bring it up since it's kinda the same subject matter as problems that can arise from a translation if things aren't done right.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Roch-Silverfang » Tue Jan 05 2016 4:00pm

Any news about the translation of Shining Wind? It's probably the most important game in the serie!

We can find easily the translation of Shining Blade, so, why not this "old game"?

I would like help but I don't read japanese, i'm not an english speaker, but I'm ready to translate the game in french if I can find it in english. :)

Previous

Return to Shining Wind