Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Progress Report

See Official Site for Updates!

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Progress Report

Postby legalize freedom » Thu Aug 17 2006 7:00pm

Beginning with the Oct. 2011 Progress Report, all updates will be delivered on the official site. This topic will remain as an archive of past progress reports, but will not be updated.

Shining Force III Translation Project Official Site

Please keep replies on this thread to a minimum. I would like to keep it clean so the progress can be easily accessed without sorting though a bunch of posts.

I plan to do a report every month or two as time allows and depending on how much has been accomplished. The updates will be ordered most recent first.

I would like to start by briefly explaining the process so these reports will mean something to everyone. This is the ideal process? much of the work on Sc.2 was done before many in the team were on board, so we will have to double back a bit on some of this work.

1. The available script is being reviewed by the Translation group for accuracy and to add missing lines.

2. The script is then proofread and checked for spelling, grammar, cultural understanding, etc.

3. The lines where the script goes into the game files are identified. (COMPLETE)

4. The script is inserted into the game files, the line breaks and effects are added. (COMPLETE)

5. The script is tested in game and errors are reported/fixed.

Reference to Sc2 sections is to the sections of the script available on SFC. While they don?t go into the files neat in sections like this, it is a good way to keep track of progress that everyone is familiar with. Sc1 and Sc3 use a more intuitive method that links the sections to the game files. Sc2 will be converted to this in due time.

Files dealing with the Translation Project including the SF2Patch are available for download from the Translation Project FTP through the link below. Thanks to Moogie and SFC for providing this space!

Shining Force III Translation Project Official Site

Shining Force III Translation Project FTP

08-2011 Progress Report

Just a quick update to let everyone know I’m making good progress on the next patch, V13.

Sc1 is ready to go. Just the general stuff was needed there.
Sc2 is mostly ready after many updates. I’m reviewing the last 20 files, which have yet to be reviewed by a translator. I don’t think these files have seen any attention since they were first assembled.
After that “quick” review, I’ll continue on Sc3. The last section has been inserted. I also have quite a few things to correct. We will now have chapter endings for Sc2 and Sc3.

I’m guessing a couple more months for V13. Once it is released I hope to begin beta testing on Sc1.

Sinful Force has documented the plot points and we will begin to dig a little deeper to document all the actual lines that rely on them.

Also, Special T and I have been in contact about finishing the images for the box art and the CDs themselves.

legalize freedom!

06-2011 Progress Report

1. Translation
We are finally getting the bookcase entries for Sc3 translated thanks to our new volunteer, Palpatine (not sure if he is a SFC member). He’s about half way through the entries. Thanks for your efforts, Palpatine!

2. Inserting
I’m on the last file of the Sc2 review remaining to be inserted. Man, these last half dozen files have been long. I guess these are the ones that sent Atolm into retirement...
I also still have the last area of Sc3 to insert which will be happening shortly.

3. No official playtesting just yet, but I hope to get something going after V13 is released. There wasn’t much interest in the beta test leader position, so I guess it will be me. Sinful Force is in the process of documenting the plot points that will affect our beta test effort.

The updates I have in mind for the V13 patch are pretty ambitious, so I’m not sure when it will be ready. Here is a V13 change list:

1. All the names will be in their final resting places.
2. All the other name slots will be in use to help reduce file size and to increase the available length of the chapter endings (primarily Sc2 since Sc3 uses all the name slots).
3. The chapter endings will all be inserted.
4. Issues submitted thus far fixed (where a solution is immediately known).
5. All the Sc2 reviewed content inserted.
6. The final area of Sc3 inserted.

legalize freedom!

04-2011 Progress Report

1. Translation
Still no volunteers! I'm dying over here. The few people we've had volunteer have ultimately not produced anything.

At least some good news here is that Ryuu finished up the final missing area of Sc3. Thanks Ryuu!

2. Inserting
There are exactly 5 files of the Sc2 review remaining to be inserted. I'll be finishing these up first and then inserting the last missing Sc3 area.

3. No official playtesting, but I have been getting many unofficial reports that I'm going to try to get repaired for V13.

If the official playtesting effort is to begin in earnest after the V13 patch, I will need to recruit a beta testing leader to begin laying out and executing the plan. The nature of SF3 and it's many plot/dialog options will be paramount. Look for a call for volunteers for this esteemed position very shortly.

legalize freedom!

01-2011 Progress Report

1. Translation
Ryuu has graciously agreed to come out of retirement to translate the 50 or so remaining lines we found after the V12 release. Great news? They should be in the V13 release. There have been a couple of volunteers. It?s yet to be seen if they hang around or are just passing through.

2. Inserting
Work is progressing on the reviewed lines for Sc2. I have about 15 files to go before I?m caught up with the Sc2 review effort. I'll be inserting the above mentioned Sc3 lines as soon as I get them back from Ryuu.

3. Playtesting
No official playtesting to report, but BoneIdol has helped me find a few problems with the V12 files. Thanks to him.

I?m considering a beta test before my final review since I always seem to have something more important to do than playtest? It may be ready for this effort after V13 is released, whenever that may be. I have a couple of big things in mind to get done for V13, but I believe they are doable in the 6 month time frame.

In the mean time, I hope everyone is enjoying V12!

legalize freedom!

11-2010 Progress Report

1. Translation
No progress on the remaining translation. No translator volunteers = no production.

I do appreciate those who have helped spread the word about our translator situation. Let?s hope a dedicated fan joins the effort soon!

2. Inserting
The files for the last chapter of Sc3 are ready to go for the next patch.

I?m continuing to correct the lines that have been reviewed for Sc2.

3. Playtesting
No official playtesting to report, but plenty of unofficial reports of things that need corrected.

Now that all files have been prepared, I plan to turn my attention to fixing a few of the problems that have popped up. Expect the next patch to be released around the end of the year.

If you haven?t heard, please do what you can to support the Save our Series Campaign!

http://sos.shiningforcecentral.com/

legalize freedom!

09-2010 Progress Report

1. Translation
No progress on the rest of the needed translation except for a little bit on the Sc3 bookcase that was submitted by a fledgling volunteer. Unfortunately, none of the volunteers from this last push have contributed anything significant, so the search continues.

In case you haven?t heard, WE NEED QUALIFIED TRANSLATORS! There is still plenty of work to keep me busy, but the project will eventually need translators to continue. See the Translators Needed! forum thread for additional information.

2. Inserting
I?ve been working on inserting some of the Sc2 review as well as getting the Sc3 files down to size after inserting the remaining missing lines.

3. Playtesting
I?ve continued my Sc1 playtest, but haven?t spent nearly enough time on this.

The big news is the release of SF3Patch Version 11. That?s right, no more updating files. Patches from now on will be released in versions. See the official site or SF3Patch Version 11 Released! forum thread for additional information.

legalize freedom!

07-2010 Progress Report

1. Translation
No progress on the Sc2 translation review.

Ryuu is on the last file for Sc3 translating missing lines. Then he plans to look at the bookcase.
We are now actively looking for a translator qualified to do a full review of Sc3.

2. Identifying
I believe all the needed identifying has been done for the project. Anything else will be just here and there. I won?t need to acknowledge identifying in progress reports any longer.

3. Inserting
The Sc1 files have been updated with misc. corrections to the repeating lines in preparation for the version 11 patch release. I?m also happy to report the true ending has been implemented. Thanks to nagev2100 from the German project for identifying the lines in question. There really weren?t that many that were different from the English release, but the ones that were different certainly held a different ending. I?m not sure yet if the on screen actions support the dialog though.

The Sc2 repeating lines have been updated as well with misc corrections. Monks should be good. Shops should all be inserted. Etc. This is also in preparation for the version 11 release. A boatload of Atolm?s review still needs to be implemented, but most of that will come after version 11.

I'm caught up with Ryuu inserting missing lines for Sc3. As reported last time, the Sc3 files were updated, but I?m still trying to get a few of them below their size limits. The bookcase needs plenty of attention. I?m going to get everything (except the bookcase) inserted for the version 11 release. The Sc3 bookcase will be however it is at the time. It has been started at least.

4. Playtesting
No playtesting to report, but I believe Sc1 is ready. I plan to continue my playtesting review in preparation for beta in the short term.

Sc2 will be ready for playtesting after Atolm?s translation review has been implemented.
Sc3 still has a ways to go?

The new Sc1 and Sc2 files have been posted!

legalize freedom!

05-2010 Progress Report

1. Translation
No progress on the Sc2 review in a while. Only a few files left Atolm!

Ryuu is now continuing his work in Sc3 Ch7 replacing missing lines.
We will be looking at the bookcase entries as the Sc3 missing line work winds down.

2. Identifying
The bookcase has now been identified. Most of it anyway. I was able to match up a lot of the lines from the Sc2 translation.

I have also identified several of the odd files in Sc3. There were about 5 files that didn?t follow the normal line patterns. This was a real time sink btw, and I don?t even know if they are used, but it is done now.

3. Inserting
I'm checking breaks and effects and inserting translated missing lines as they come in.

The Sc3 repeating lines have been updated. This should fix all the lingering item names/descriptions, special attacks names, etc. that have needed to be changed.

I have also inserted the bookcase and odd files to the extent I could. Another pass or two will need to be made, particularly on the bookcase. I?m probably not going to worry about the odd files again unless they pop up in game.

4. Playtesting
No playtesting to report, but there have been quite a few volunteers for the beta testing.

I will also soon need someone to test the bookcase and create a log of each entry and the game file lines it uses.

Due to popular demand, I won?t be waiting to release the current files. A lot has been accomplished and I know the community hasn?t seen anything for a while. Look for some new files to be uploaded very soon.

legalize freedom!

02-2010 Progress Report

There has not been all that much progress since the last update, so I'll make this one short.

A few translation requests have trickled in. There are not many files left to be reviewed in Sc2 or missing lines left in Sc3, but the translators have been preoccupied as of late.

I'm currently updating the repeating lines in Sc3 and working on some of the odd files that haven't been touched.

The current goal is to get the patch versioned. That is to start releasing versions and eliminate the need to update patch files. Before this happens, I would like to update the repeating lines for scenarios 1 and 2 as well.

Shouldn't be too much longer...

legalize freedom!

12-2009 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm is working in chapter 5 in Sc2 with his full review of the script.

Ryuu is currently working in chapter 7 in Sc3 replacing missing lines.

2. Identifying
Only the bookcase of Sc3 remains to be identified.

3. Inserting
I'm currently at the beginning of Ch7 checking breaks and effects and inserting translated missing lines. I also plan to update the repeating lines in the near future. I have held off doing this until all the changes could shake out so I could get it done in one shot.

The Sc3 bookcase still remains.

4. Playtesting
No playtesting to report for Sc1 or Sc2. Both are currently in Ch2.

I will soon be posting the files up through Sc3 Ch6.

I'm happy to introduce the official Shining Force III Translation Project web site. I wanted to get the patch on a versioning schedule by now, but that isn't quite ready to happen. Once all of Sc3 sees its initial release, you will be able to go to the site and click on the download button to get the latest patch. No more updating files.

For now, please limit your suggestions for the website to the forum. I'll create a thread specifically for this. Keep in mind I want to remain concentrated on the project, not maintaining the website, so be gentle.

Thanks to Moogie for setting this up for us.

http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/

legalize freedom!

10-2009 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm is working in chapter 5 in Sc2 with his full review of the script.

Ryuu is back from Japan and making good progress on the missing lines in Sc3. He's currently working near the end of chapter 6.

We have a new translator volunteer, Tesl. He's getting familiar with the process now and could begin to contribute soon.

2. Identifying
Only the bookcase of Sc3 remains to be identified. It's about time we get this task rolling.

3. Inserting
In Sc3, all files have been inserted. I'm making my way through checking the breaks and effects as well as inserting the translated missing lines. As you can probably tell by the currently released files, I'm in Ch5.

Most of the page 10 dat files have been created. The remainder are being created as I make my way through the files.

4. Playtesting
No playtesting to report for Sc1 or Sc2. Both are currently in Ch2. I'm looking forward to getting back to this after all Sc3 files have seen their initial release.

Up to about half-way through Sc3 Ch5 has been posted. These current files include the page 10 work and all shops including the blacksmiths.

I'm happy to announce the official translation project web site is just about ready to go. I just need to find some time to get it ready to roll out. This forum will still be the communication hub, but the web site will provide a nice place to download the latest patch and learn how to apply it, among other things. Thanks to Moogie for authoring the page and getting us set up.

legalize freedom!

08-2009 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm has started chapter 5 in Sc2 with his full review of the script.

Ryuu is past the midpoint of a very long chapter 4 in Sc3 filling in missing lines. This in spite of the fact he has been planning his move back to the US from Japan.

2. Identifying

3. Inserting
In Sc3, all files have been inserted. I have reviewed the few mystery files and plan to leave them until the end or until we run into them, at which point I will give them to Ryuu for translating. I'm not convinced they are even used.

I'm almost caught up with Ryuu inserting the missing lines near the middle of chapter 4.

I'm also now getting the page 10 dat files created. Thanks to mesmer for much of the leg work. This is a workaround for the Page 10 issue discussed in the forum.

4. Playtesting
No playtesting to report for Sc1 or Sc2. Both are currently in Ch2.

A crash bug was discovered at the end of Sc3 Ch1 that I haven't been able to fix as of yet. It can be bypassed with the original disc and the popular opinion seems to be to get the other Sc3 chapters released before dealing with it. Ch1 and Ch2 have been posted although there are some issues with the Ch2 files. Mostly due to the page 10 issue and ongoing work on the blacksmiths. I will post Ch2 with these issues fixed soon.

Special T has secured the services of a very talented artist to design the translation game box cover which is very promising.

Otherwise, no progress on images or web site :-(

legalize freedom!

06-2009 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm is on the last file of chapter 4 in Sc2 with his full review of the script.

Ryuu is also nearing the end of chapter 4 in Sc3 filling in missing lines.

2. Identifying

3. Inserting
In Sc3, we have only a handful of files to insert (less than 6). Everything we have has been proofread. Although I have noticed there are 2 or 3 files that we don't have anything for. These are either files that don't have much dialog or are not used. Either way we will have to get a missing lines review to figure out what they are.

The Sc3 bookcase also remains.

The lines being reviewed by the translators for both scenarios will eventually replace what is there now.

4. Playtesting
No playtesting to report since the last update. Sc1 and Sc2 are both currently in Ch2. My priority is to get the Sc3 files up and running after everything has been inserted.

No progress on images or web site :-(

legalize freedom!

04-2009 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm is at the end of chapter 4 in Sc2 with his full review of the script.

Ryuu is in Sc3 chapter 3 filling in missing lines. He has also reviewed all the shops including the many blacksmiths in Sc3.

2. Identifying
All the dialog and shop locations have now been identified for Sc3. I believe only the bookcase remains.

3. Inserting
Sc2 is entirely inserted except for the reviewed lines which will eventually replace what is there now.

In Sc3, we are currently inserting in CHAPTER 5! Mesmer continues to produce in a big way for the project. He is currently putting together the files that will allow us to overcome the page 10 translator bug. I have files (currently to the middle of chapter 6) prepared for him after he takes care of the page 10 stuff.

The opening has been fully inserted, but the bookcase work is still needed.

4. Playtesting
No playtesting to report since the last update. Sc1 and Sc2 are both currently in Ch2. This will come after all the Sc3 inserting is done.

Image update
Special T has completed the following:
-All the title screens except the PD.
-A very nice "now loading" screen image with the project name and a url to SFC.
-The chapter title screens for all three scenarios.
-Sc1 and Sc2 cd labels (currently working on Sc3)
-SF3 World Map

Very impressive Special T! Your contributions are indispensible.

legalize freedom!

02-2009 Progress Report

1. Translation
Not much progress on Sc2 since the last update, but Sc3 has been very productive.

Ryuu is in Sc3 chapter 2 filling in missing lines and reviewing the others. He has also reviewed the Sc3 weapon shop, item shop, church, HQ, and other misc repeating lines involving the ruins and Cyclop's dragons that occur with the shops. I will also be getting him the blacksmiths fairly soon. The opening (Gabriel and Fey) may also need some review.

2. Proofreading
I think we are passed the point of recognizing proofreading as a reportable item. The lines will be proofread before and after translation review, so I'm going to omit this section in future updates unless something comes up.

3. Identifying
The locations of the shops and HQs in Sc3 have been identified.
Swalchy is identifying lines in the last chapter of Sc3. This represents the only dialog left to identify. Another area that will need to be identified is the bookcase and maybe some work on the opening.

4. Inserting
I'm told the Sc2 bookcase issue with ghosting text has been mostly solved. Swalchy and Lord Oddeye have tweaked the lines to prevent much of the ghosting. I have not had a chance to test it yet, but this is very good news.

As of the last update, no work had been done on the Sc3 dialog. I am glad to report we are currently inserting in CHAPTER 3! Mesmer and Gandalf have done a great job inserting the breaks and effects to speed this process along. The chapter 1 files will be ready to post soon, and probably the chapter 2 files soon after. I'm going to try to include the shops in this initial offering since they are ready to go.

The opening and bookcase are still needed here.

The major issue with the Sc3 files is the size. If you thought we had trouble with the Sc2 files which had 9 pages max, most of the Sc3 files have 10 pages. I'm going to have to jump through hoops to get some of these to work, but I have accumulated some strategies so we'll see how it goes.

5. Playtesting
No playtesting to report since the last update. Sc1 and Sc2 are both currently in Ch2.

Image update
Special T has completed inserting the (editable) version numbers in the title screens. We haven't found a solution to a disclaimer screen, but we have edited the "Now Loading..." screen to show the project name and a url to SFC. This may be all we can fit. The now loading image is very small and it is hard to read small text. There is very little keeping us from versioning now except maybe finding a good stopping point to do it.

legalize freedom!

12-2008 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm is currently reviewing Sc2 with only a couple of files left in Ch4 as well as the normal misc. stuff.

Ryuu has got into the swing of things and is making good progress filling in the missing lines in Sc3. And there are a lot of them.

2. Proofreading
No proofreading progress since the last update to speak of.

3. Identifying
The identifying sections and associated game files for Sc1 (synbios1978) and Sc3 (darkchaos99) is complete. We still need to identify the locations of the shops and HQs in Sc3.

4. Inserting
All of the Sc1 breaks and effects have been inserted. All that is left is to playtest this one.

Mesmer and I ran into some difficulty with the bookcase, but I'm working through it. 125 maxed out lines in a row is a bit much to handle. Unfortunately, most of the entries will need to be reduced and I'm working on that now.

5. Playtesting
I have resumed my playtesting work. Sc1 and Sc2 are both currently in Ch2.

Image update
Speical T continues to do some fine image editing for the project. He has completed the cd images for Sc1 and Sc2. We are currently working on a solution for a disclaimer message and showing the patch version on the title screen. After which I plan to start giving the releases proper versions and eliminate the need to monitor the updated files on the FTP (except for those working on the project).

New website
Moogie has begun work on a dedicated website for the project. I can't wait.

New Read Me
Haven't gotten to the read me yet, probably because nobody cares. I will get to it by the time the versioning starts. I'd like to have the updated version in that package.

legalize freedom!

10-2008 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm is currently reviewing near the end of Sc2 Ch4. He has also been looking at some misc stuff for us. Atolm has moved back from Japan and has begun his PhD in Japanese Literature!

We have an new translator volunteer who looks very promising. Ryuu has begun filling in the missing lines in Sc3.

2. Proofreading
Not much proofreading progress since the last update. I'm still doing this as I go and we have one or two people who kick in a Sc3 section every few months.

3. Identifying
Jo has finished Ch6 of Sc3 which leaves him just a little bit to go.

We have also identified sections and associated game files for Sc1 (synbios1978) and most of Sc3 (darkchaos99). This helps in many ways. We know what order to work on the files and where a conversation is when looking for one (among others).

4. Inserting
I?m making good progress on inserting the Sc1 breaks (55 done, 27 still needed).

Some of the Bookcase info is still under review. We have about 2/3 of the entries ready to go. A new volunteer mesmer is working on populating the bookcase txn and I'll be asking him to insert the info after that.

5. Playtesting
I hope to get back to my playthrough work now that things have quieted down a bit.

Image update
Speical T continues to do some fine image editing for the project. The Sc1 cd label is done and 2 of the 3 others have begun. I will probably interrupt him to take care of a couple of easy things soon (chapter title mockups and loading screen image work) unless Moogie gets jealous.

New website
Moogie has begun work on a dedicated website for the project and it is looking good. It will not only allow us to have a visually inspiring home, but with an official url, it should also cut down on the amount of traffic to some other sites which are posting outdated or problematic patches/isos.

New Read Me
The new giant read me is mostly complete. Synbios1978 has reviewed it, and I need to incorporate his comments before releasing it.

New Volunteers
Many new volunteers have been keeping me busy as well. Below are the new volunteers who are already contributing.

Ryuu- Japanese to English translator
Rems- fact checking on bookcase entries and probable play tester
mesmer- Translator tasks (currently the bookcase)
darkchaos99- Identifying game files

legalize freedom!

08-2008 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm is currently reviewing Sc2 Ch4.

2. Proofreading
The Sc1 dialog is done. The shops and meetings (except the last one) are all coordinated. The only thing left in this area for Sc1 is the last hero meeting and to coordinate the intro with Gabrial and Fey (That's not to say they will say the exact same things during every scenario, but some coordination is needed).

No Sc3 proofreading progress since the last update.

3. Identifying
Jo has finished Ch4 of Sc3 and is currently starting work in Sc3 Ch5.

4. Inserting
Sc1 is entirely inserted. I started inserting the breaks and effects as I'm going through the game (23 done, 59 still needed), but due to a recent rush of volunteers, I may be able to concentrate on other things in the coming month.

No work has been done on Sc2 since the last update. I would really like to get Sc1 out of the way since it is a clear, straightforward task.

Bookcase info still needs to be inserted as soon as I get it from playtesting. If anyone is familiar enough with the story and character backgrounds to help out with these entries, please contact me.

5. Playtesting
They are currently reviewing the bookcase entries. The blacksmith lines have been playtested. I'm not sure whether Sc1 needs a full playtest or not? I'll leave it up to the playtesters.

Image update
The topic to choose the font look for the chapter titles hasn't drawn much attention. I'm thinking 2 designs will be enough for a vote. There seems to be a common opinion.

Speical T is creating some fantastic game box cover art and a SF3 map. He has also agreed to do some other image related work for the project. Seijuro Hiko has also continued his cover art work after being inspired by what Special T has done with his original work.

New Read Me
I have started consolidating the read me files into one. A returning volunteer, Synbios1978 (who previously helped to get the Sc1 portion of the patch working among other things) is now back in the fold and will likely help me out with this task.

legalize freedom!

06-2008 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm has completed the accuracy review for Sc2 chapters 1 - 3 and is currently working in chapter 4. Again I can't say enough about what Atolm means to this project and the quality of the translation.

2. Proofreading
The Sc1 dialog proofing is done. The shops have also been proofed and coordinated. Two of the four hero meetings still need to be located in the game files and coordinated which is next on my list.

I'm proofing the Sc2 accuracy review lines as I insert them.

No Sc3 proofreading progress since the last update.

3. Identifying
Jo is in Ch4 of Sc3.

4. Inserting
Sc1 is entirely inserted. The line breaks have not been inserted. I am going to attempt to wait for a volunteer to help with this since it is relatively straight forward. Although, I have no indication currently that I won't end up doing it.

I'm in chapter 2 inserting the accuracy review corrections. I'm still expecting the Sc 2 bookcase info from the playtesting guys. I will be inserting this as soon as they have approved the content.

5. Playtesting
They are currently reviewing the bookcase entries and are also finishing up playtesting the blacksmith lines. Then they are waiting for me to finish with chapter 2.

Image update
Nothing new to report on the images. I'm going to start a topic to choose the font look for the chapter titles to try and get the ball rolling.

Tomahawk vs Hatchet
Looks like the Tomahawk list is the winner... While the vote total was pretty close, when you consider that many people voted for Hatchet just to keep all the names the same (and not because they necessarily preferred it), I think Tomahawk is the clear winner. The Sc1 files reflect this change and the others will get it the next time I update the repeating lines.

New Read Me
I'm re-tooling and consolidating the read me files I have accumulated for the various tasks and aspects of the project. There will still be a read me for the patch for those who only want to know how to apply it and update the files. The SSF for SF3 read me (in the SSF package) is Lord Oddeye's baby and I'll update it as he sees fit. The big change will be the Translator package read me which will contain everything needed to do the translation from beginning to end. Of use only to volunteers of the project or to those who seek to work on a different translation. This has been a general information document to get volunteers familiar with the process and then I would send more specific instructions to a particular task. Now this will be all inclusive. I'm also going to make it an .htm file with links to all sections. I believe this is more user friendly and universal than a .doc file. I will probably make them all .htm files in time. Maybe I can get this done by the next update.

legalize freedom!

04-2008 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm has completed the needed review for chapters 1 and 2 and is currently working in chapter 3.

2. Proofreading
McPhisto has begun to contribute on the Sc3 files. He has finished up what was needed in Sc3 Ch2 and is currently picking up some small stuff in Sc3 Ch1 before moving on to Sc3 Ch3.

The Sc1 proofing is nearly done. The only thing left here is to finish coordinating the lines that are supposed to be the same in each Scenario. Namely, the meetings between the heroes, but also some bookcases. Two of the four meetings have been coordinated.

3. Identifying
Jo is in Ch4 of Sc3.

4. Inserting
I understand the bookcase info is very close to delivery. That still needs to be inserted. Both blacksmiths have been inserted as well as all the review changes for Ch1 (from both Atolm and the playtesting group).

The Sc1 files are ready to be inserted. I?m still looking for someone to help in this regard. Have seen quite a few interested in helping, but no actual help. Maybe the next volunteer will be the one with the necessary drive and commitment...

5. Playtesting
I'm happy to report that Sc2 Ch1 is ready for beta! See that wasn't so hard, was it?
When I finish chapter 2 with Atolm's review lines, I will continue my play through so the playtesting group can do their thing while I work on the next chapter.

The blacksmith lines are currently being reviewed.

Image update
Moogie has taken the first stab at the chapter titles... When we get a couple that we think would work, I will post them for open discussion and opinions.

legalize freedom!

02-2008 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm has continued to do a great job of supporting the project. He has agreed to finish the full script review that Aspartate started. A handful of sections still needed review from ch1, which he has finished. He is working in ch2 currently. These are being tracked in the Section Progress file. This review was really needed and I wasn't sure if it was going to happen before beta. This is allowing an accurate translation, while also obviously lengthening the production time.

I can't understate the value of this, as over half the lines have some type of meaning changes. It really affects what is being said.

To save time and effort, I'm waiting for Atolm to catch up to my Sc2 playtest before I proceed with that. In the meantime, I have been preparing the Sc1 files (see below).

2. Proofreading
A new recruit, McPhisto (Tristan) is now getting started helping with some proofreading. He is working in Sc3. He is a professional writer and it is showing in his contributions.

I'm proofreading Atolms output as I work through it.

Quite a bit has been done with the Sc1 files. The lines from all Sc1 files have been exported to txns. I am about half way through the files proofreading. I'm really only changing Colossus to Titan and some obvious things I see. There have been a couple of spelling corrections and a few grammar things. Things you would normally expect from a translation. In one line the town of Lookover is referred to as Observe :)

3. Identifying
As far as I know Jo has made no progress since the last report. He's in Ch4 of Sc3.

4. Inserting
I?m waiting on Swalchy for the proofread and fact checked bookcase info. That still needs to be inserted.

I'm inserting Atolm's proofed lines as I work through them.

About half of the Sc1 files are ready to be inserted. Enter another new recruit, Kyle (I don't know his member name yet, as he is waiting to be registered) who is a software engineer from Canada. I hope to have him help with some of the technical stuff... a role I have been looking to find someone for. One of his first tasks will be to insert the Sc1 text.

5. Playtesting
My playthrough was about halfway through Ch2 when Atolm agreed to do this review. My focus has shifted to proofing and inserting his lines.

I would like to recruit a playtester or two to help with error finding. To be considered, you must be mature, an english scholar and be familiar with all three storylines. This is not just playing the game... You will have to do some work. You will have to play the same areas repeatedly. Anyone who thinks they fit this description, PM me your email.

Font update
All font issues have been resolved. The Sc1 font will be tested in action when the lines begin to be inserted.

Image update
Moogie has completed the title screen work. I haven't heard back from her on the chapter titles...

legalize freedom!

10-2007 Progress Report

1. Translation
Every line for Sc2 has been translated. Atolm has continued his excellent support of this project despite moving to Japan for a year to study and has finished the last Sc2 file. I have a few of these left to insert, but not many. I would like to give Atolm a little break before sending files from Sc3?

I have not heard back from Frynmeli regarding the review of the Sc1 dialog for discrepancies. I trust I will at some point. I know some work has been done here. I hope to get my hands on that soon.

2. Proofreading
Nothing special going on here... I'm doing most of it. Again an english major volunteer could really speed this process up. The playtesters are currently reviewing the bookcase info.

3. Identifying
I believe Jo has taken a little break, which is fine, we are not waiting on him. I believe he is in Ch4 of Sc3.

4. Inserting
As I mentioned, only a few lines remain for Sc2. Literally a handful. The bookcase info also still needs to be inserted. I don't intend to start inserting Sc3 until Sc2 goes beta, at the earliest.

I have nearly completed the needed changes to the Sc1 repeating lines... Only dialog left. I'm hoping Hiko will continue to help with recreating the Sc1 game files, but I have not heard from him in a while. Sc1 will be in good shape when K0D is able to investigate the patch problem.

5. Playtesting
Sc2 Ch1 has been playtested and corrections made. I am finally continuing my playthrough.

Font update
I have tweaked the font a bit. In most cases, just adjusting the spacing, but there were a couple that needed some minor changes. There were also a couple of suggestions by the playtesting group that were implemented. I believe it is looking good now.

Image update
Moogie has completed the title screen work and is currently working on the chapter titles. There are a couple of other image edits after that, but they should be straightforward.

Voice Translation update
CarloIII is doing some preliminary work on this. I'm not convinced it will happen yet, and I'm not going to wait on it, but it will be cool if it eventually happens.

Until next time

legalize freedom!

07-2007 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm has finished the missing lines I had stockpiled. He is currently working on a few Sc3 missing lines (there are a ton in Sc3). I (or Hiko) will be looking through the dialog areas of the Sc2 files for any remaining lines without dialog. Then we will send them on to Atolm. This will represent the last lines needing to be translated and inserted for Sc2.

2. Proofreading
Lord Darkstorm is working on some Sc3 stuff in preparation for when that time comes. I have continued to do most of the proofreading. A post-grad english major volunteer would really make my day...

3. Identifying
Jo has finished with Sc3 Chapters 1, 2, and 3 and is currently working in Sc3 Ch.4.

4. Inserting
All the remaining lines for Sc2 have been inserted. The lines in the available script anyway. We will still have the lines mentioned above. Since the last update, the remaining lines in Ch2 and Ch3 were inserted. I am also inserting all of the missing lines that Atolm has done.

Hiko (who also helped with many of the Ch3 lines) has recreated the repeating lines for Sc1 and is currently working on the dialog. At some point, I will make the necessary changes to the Sc1 files, but no progress can be verified or realized until K0D fixes the Sc1 portion of the patch. Let's all hope he finds time to fix it soon. Until then Sc1 is on the back burner.

As you all know Shadow has done much work on Sc3 dialog. I'm glad to see that he is continuing to work on it. Hopefully, we will only need a review/ proofread of the lines when Sc3 time comes. Very good news.

5. Playtesting
I have not made any progress on my playthrough and the other playtesters are waiting on me. This is due to the help that came on board this month. I have been preparing and back checking work for them. Taking full advantage of their help will make the road shorter in the long run. -whispers- Besides summer doesn't last forever.

Until next time

legalize freedom!

06-2007 Progress Report

1. Translation
Atolm continues to work on the missing script lines for Sc.2.

2. Proofreading
I?m currently proofreading lines that I'm inserting for chapter 2. None of these lines has had a translation review, so I wouldn't consider them final. Although, they probably could be.

3.Identifying
Jo has finished Sc3 Ch1 and is currently working in Ch2.

4. Inserting
The repeating lines in both Sc2 and 3 have been updated. Sc.3 still has a few enemy names out of place, but those will be fixed on the next update (probably when work on Sc3 dialog begins). I'm currently inserting Sc2 Ch2.

5.Playtesting
I'm doing my initial playtest as I go, so I'm currently in Sc2 Ch2.
I'm also happy to report Swalchy is currently doing a complete playtest on Sc2 Ch1, so the official playtesting has begun.

A couple of other notes:
The name Digitalis Claw has been decided on (formally Jigitari Claw). Jigitari doesn't mean anything to anyone. Digitalis also explains the poison special attack.

I have figured out how to make the Chapter end summaries work (at least the first one). The problem is that the summaries point to a single line, and obviously there is not enough space on one line for all that text. I managed to use the unused name lines to put much of the text and then refer to them from the summary line. There is a save state you can load to view it on the FTP in the emulation directory (it's the MIKO_1.bin file). I'm pretty sure (and hoping) each chapter will be referencing a different file for the name lines. I'm just glad I was able to get it to work like I thought it would.

frynmeli and Orange Gort are working on some tasks regarding the updates to Sc1. frynmeli is reviewing Sc1 for needed changes regarding the real ending and the references to Colossus (among other things). Orange Gort is taking care of some preliminary tasks to enable the changes to the Sc1 game files. Thanks!

legalize freedom!

04-2007 Progress Report

1. Translation
The semester is over and Atolm is back with a vengeance. He finished the needed Sc.3 repeating lines (about 200 lines) in one day. Not only is he kicking ass, but his work appears to be very accurate. It is a good thing, since he is the only active translator at the moment. He has also finished reviewing/translating the bookcase entries.
Atolm is currently working on the missing lines for Sc.2.

2. Proofreading
The Proofreading group is now working on some Sc.3 sections, although the pace is relaxed.

3.Identifying
Jo is currently working on Sc.3 (I believe now ch. 2) since he finished Sc.2 some time ago. Also at a relaxed pace.

4. Inserting
The repeating lines in Sc.2 have been (and continue to get) updated and are basically in the testing phase. The Sc.3 repeating lines are mostly inserted. Now that I am armed with the translations for the rest, I will be updating these again very soon. I also need to find some time to insert the bookcase entries.
The remaining sections of Sc.2 Ch.1 have been inserted. Everyone can find the section progress at any time by looking at the SectionProgress-Sc2.xls file on the FTP. I'll be inserting sections not yet done as I make my way through the initial playthrough

5. Playtesting
Speaking of initial playthrough, I'm nearing the end of chapter 1. To explain the initial playthrough a bit, I am catching all the obvious things before turning it over to be playtested proper. The average player will rarely find an error after this, but not everything is perfect. Ch.1 seems to be taking forever, but that's because I'm fixing all of the repeating lines, so those changes will speed the rest of the effort.
Eventhough the official playtesting hasn't started, Lord Oddeye has been awesome with researching information and supplying save game files for various things. Hopefully I have not been asking too much of him. He is really making my life easier with his expertise and legwork. He will begin the official playtest after I finish (at least some of) my play through and when he is ready.

The weapon names and descriptions, as well as the Special Attack names have mostly been decided on. There are some in Sc.3 that still need review. The Sc.2 game files are mostly correct. The Sc.3 game files have most of the carryover items, but many corrections and additions are need. These will be updated very soon.

Until next time

legalize freedom!

03-2007 Progress Report

Just a quick update.

The Sc2 files have all been updated. They now contain the corrected repeating lines. This includes Menus, Status Screen, Weapon and Item Names and descriptions, Special Attacks, Battle Messages and many, many other things that may not be obvious. There will likely be small changes trickling in, but these lines should be mostly complete. I'll probably do one more update right before beta.
If anyone sees any errors in these areas, please drop me a email and a screenshot.

I working on getting all the Shop/Church/HQ lines reviewed and the scripts created so I can pop them in quickly as I'm doing my initial playthrough. I found a couple of things in the existing ones, so I might as well do a full review.

If you can believe it, the Sc.3 files are meaningful now. The repeating lines that carry over from Sc.2 were matched up to Sc.3 and inserted. Menus and Battle Messages should be functional. There is much yet to be translated for Sc.3 but I believe Atolm is going to hit that first thing after the semester (April). I will update them again when his review is complete.

I spent this time on Sc.3 so Jo would have an easier (and more pleasent) playthrough while locating lines... Which by the way, he has already completed Ch. 1. He is also locating the Name and Class lines so we can have correct names soon. These are also on the translate list, but whoever gets to them first...

All of the updated files are now available on the FTP. I have started to make zip files, so it will be easier to download.

legalize freedom!

02-2007 Progress Report

1. Translation Group
The new recruit Atolm is making a serious dent in the misc lines. He has finished all the misc lines I have at the moment. There are still several files of the missing lines to do, but...

I believe it will be relatively quick and worth the effort to nail down the repeating lines in Sc.3 next. With Atolm being in the middle of a semester, the short lines are easier to put down and pick up.

Jo is gearing up to do his line identifying for Sc.3 and needs to be able to tell what is going on. While we are talking about 256 lines X 7 or 8 pages, which is a lot, probably 95% of them will be the same lines that we have for Sc.2. We just need to match them up. I'm expecting a few new lines in between large groups of familiar lines. So it shouldn't be as much work as it sounds like.

2. Proofreading Group
Since we have been mainly working on misc. lines, I have been taking care of the proofreading. This group will likely be getting started on the existing Sc.3 dialog soon.

3. Identifying Lines
As I said, Jo is jacked to begin Sc.3 line identifying, but is waiting on me to insert the menus, etc. He has expressed interest with doing some inserting and has played around with the program, so maybe he will be able to help with that in the process of his normal line identifying.

4. Inserting
I have almost completed the edits to the repeating lines and will be inserting them soon. This includes the weapon/item names and descriptions, which have now been tested for length in game (and modified to fit). They are looking good.

5. Playtesting Group
Lord Oddeye has produced saves for all of Sc.3 and also has been assisting a bit on another project. Which works out since I wanted to get all the repeating lines out of the way before I did my initial playthrough (pre-playtesting). He also wrote a Read Me file for SSF (on the FTP)

Speaking of FTP, the new Translation Project FTP is up and running. Thanks to Moogie for making the space for us and thanks to Dr. Doom for his contribution of the previous FTP. The link will be in my sig and at the beginning of this post permanently. I think you'll find everything very easy to use. Everything has a fairly descriptive read me included.

The new self-extracting patch file contains up-to-date game files. Any new files (between patch updates) will be located in the Current Patch Files directory.

I have also created an excel file to monitor progress. As soon as finish with it, I will post it on the FTP.

Until next time

legalize freedom!

12-2006 Progress Report

Many of us have been taking a much needed break for the last couple of months, but work is starting back up.

The only new progress to report is some more inserted lines.

Chapter 1 lacks only 1-9, 1-10, and 1-11. All other sections have been reviewed and inserted. I believe the translation group will start reviewing these remaining sections soon.

Chapter 3 sections 3-1, 3-2, and 3-3 have also been done.

I have not done much in the way of inserting shops, etc. since my old machine didn't run SSF very well in Saraband (with the water). I have just finished construction on a monster machine that should barely blink in Saraband (assuming computer power was my main issue).

Lord Oddeye has also contributed saves for Scenario 3 - Chapters 1, 2 and 3! Obviously we won't be using them for awhile, but very good news nonetheless.

legalize freedom!

10-2006 Progress Report

1. Translation Group
The translation group continues to make good progress with their review. Chapter 1 is getting close and many sections of chapters 2 and 3 have been done. They are also working on many missing and misc. lines. We have 2 new recruits, but it isn't clear yet if they have what it takes.

2. Proofreading Group
The group has shrunk somewhat, but the translation groups output is such that the proofreading has been minor. The 2 guys we have left are taking care of school, etc. I believe I can take care of the proofreading duties for the time being. Chapter 1 sections 1-4 and 11-14 as well as chapter 3 sections 1-3 have all been proofread following the translation groups review.

3. Identifying Lines
Jo has finished the line identifying for Sc.2 and will casually be working on Sc.3.

4. Inserting
Chapter 1 sections 1-4 have been inserted and are complete. I'm in the process of inserting the rest of the reviewed sections of chapter 1 and putting in shops in Saraband (which affect both the ch. 1 and ch. 5 visits). I will work from the beginning as the translation group's output allows.
Chapter 4 has been inserted including shops, etc., but hasn't been reviewed for accuracy.
Chapters 5 and 6 have been inserted, but no shops or review yet.

When the FTP comes back online, I will get this posted.

I have also been gathering the changes to the repeating lines in preparation to fix those. These are things like the enemy names, weapon/acc. names and/or descriptions, etc. I'm not too far from doing this, but I'm holding off to see what else pops up. I want to make sure to get everything in one shot since every file will need to be changed similarly.

5. Playtesting Group
There hasn't been an urgent need for playtesting just yet. Once more sections begin to be completed, these guys will be seeing some action.

legalize freedom!

08-2006 Progress Report
1. The Translation group has finished their review of ch.1 and have made good progress on ch.2 and ch.3. They are making very good progress since the group formed.

2. The proofreading has been mostly done (before the Translation groups review) on ch.1 and 3 and 2 is at least started. Some parts of the Translation groups reviewed lines have been done and others are being worked on now. The proofreading group has been hampered by Atrius' computer problems. He is back up, and should return to full speed soon. I should have something solid to report next time.

3. Jo is finishing up the last of the line identifying for Scenario 2. He has plans to begin Scenario 3 soon (albeit at a more relaxed pace since most of us still have much to do on Sc.2).

4. The dialog has been placed into ch. 4, 5, and 6 (minus the missing lines). I am inserting shop and misc lines as I make a pass through to prepare these chapters for playtesting. The Translation group and the Proofreading group have not done their work for these chapters, but they will, and I will make any corrections they find. I'm about half way through ch.4 adding what is left. I have taken the approach to fix everything I see as I come to it, so the playtesters should have an easy job. I'm waiting for the first 2 groups to finish their work on the first 3 chapters before inserting them. We are very close on ch.1.

5. Now for the big news! Due to the coming need for in game testing, a Playtesting group has been formed. Lord Oddeye has agreed to expand his current contribution to coordinate this group. He has been doing testing in some form for a while now. Swalchy volunteered to contribute to the team and will become the second member of the group (and help with a few other things until Synbios1978 returns, and the need for playtesting grows). The plan is to add one more person once I make enough progress to warrant the need. The Playtesting group will follow my initial review, and I believe they will be starting on ch.4 (where I have finished) very soon.

Until next time
Last edited by legalize freedom on Mon Oct 03 2011 11:43pm, edited 12 times in total.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Progress Report

Postby lastknightleft » Thu Oct 01 2009 7:36pm

nevermind I'm an idiot
lastknightleft

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby tbdragon3 » Sun Sep 23 2012 2:16am

So when this all eventually gets completed, will it be available to play with a Saturn Emulator?
tbdragon3

Postby Swalchy » Sun Sep 23 2012 2:24am

There's already a Sega Saturn emulator that plays it: SSF

If you are, however, asking whether a patched ISO will be provided, then the answer is an affirmative no.
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to SFIII Translation Project