Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums SFC News
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SFC Hosting Renewal: we're searching the realm for US$360!

The latest news from SFC is posted here, where you can discuss it.

Moderator: SFC News

Re: SFC Hosting Renewal: we're searching the realm for US$36

Postby Alpha » Thu Sep 08 2011 8:18am

Send another one? I suspect after over a week they won't reply to that one.
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Kaerou » Thu Sep 08 2011 3:33pm

I'll send the last $20 your way.
Kaerou

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Thu Sep 08 2011 3:50pm

Much obliged Kaerou! I'll go and update the news article accordingly, so folks know not to send any more!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed towards this year's hosting :) The target has now been reached & I can go to pay the invoice!
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby ffian1 » Wed Sep 14 2011 2:14am

Sorry I'm late to the party. :damnit:

I'll hit you up with some Moogie when I get paid to go towards next years. Can't be missing out on the action now, can I?
Fortune Favours The Bold

http://soundcloud.com/ian-fraser-1 - Some serious and silly stuff in there!
Fortune Favours The Bold

http://soundcloud.com/ian-fraser-1 - Some serious and silly stuff in there!
ffian1

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Moogie » Wed Sep 14 2011 9:10am

Thanks for the kind offer Ian, but at the moment it's actually easier for me just to gather money for each year at a time, as there's no way of holding money aside in PayPal (I do think that would be a nice feature, like a 'piggybank' - but PayPal don't seem to agree!).
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby thepeaguy » Fri Oct 14 2011 5:42pm

I know the donations are done and all, but...

Moogie has a life, marriage and bills to pay. This site comes 2nd in her life naturally, and she's basically doing most of the free work here (when she's not busy working or whatever). If there was a rich member here who would willingly sponsor this site with the hosting per annum, she wouldn't need to ask for donations from members.

I think what she's asking for is reasonable, and if people here think she's taking the piss, you don't have to donate. Simple.

I didn't donate this year because I'm busy with my own life stuff anyway. I haven't paid much attention to this community until I PM'd Century about my Langrisser IV playthrough on youtube just recently. :P
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Salibu » Wed Oct 26 2011 12:04am

I didnt donate yet as I amazingly ignored the timeframe...I am currently about to list a bunch of ebay stuff. As soon as it sells, I am going to send 20 us dollars your way...use the money to buy 4 five dollar footlongs for all I effing care. Do what you want with it...trade it into the bank for a bunch of pennies and throw them at your man and have a penny fest for all I care. You deserve it.
Annual User ID Battle Creator:
2011 User ID Champion - Stordarth
2011 ToC Winner - Moogie > Stordarth
2012 User ID Champion - Rusty
2012 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > Rusty
2012 Tag Team Winner - Kaihaku / Noma
2012 Villain Contest - Galm
2013 User ID Champion - MXC
2013 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > MXC> Rusty
Salibu

Fighting Logic with Confusion
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Wed Oct 26 2011 11:41am

Bless ya mate, will put it to good use (the penny thing actually sounds quite fun ... but I've no idea what a footlong is, sounds dirty ;)) - thankies :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Doomblade66 » Thu Oct 27 2011 7:55am

lol.....Moogie. A footlong is what Subway calls their big sandwiches.

The phrase they use in some of their commercials is..."Five dollars ! Five Dollars ! Five Dollar Foot-longs !"

I wonder what Brits call such sandwiches...?
Doomblade66

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Thu Oct 27 2011 9:11am

Dunno, down round here we'd just say we're getting a subway/picnics/fresh bites/whatever the name of the sandwich place is. I'm not even sure subway do such big sarnies here!
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Stordarth » Thu Oct 27 2011 11:23am

They do.

I haven't had subway for quite some time, but I usually just asked for a large. *shrug*
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Salibu » Thu Oct 27 2011 5:28pm

Doomblade66 wrote:lol.....Moogie. A footlong is what Subway calls their big sandwiches.

The phrase they use in some of their commercials is..."Five dollars ! Five Dollars ! Five Dollar Foot-longs !"

I wonder what Brits call such sandwiches...?

lol...I actually sang the subway song in my head while reading that.
Salibu

Fighting Logic with Confusion
Shining Legend

Postby Doomblade66 » Sat Nov 05 2011 9:05am

I'm just so happy Moogie likes Shining Force so much.

What's the history of her involvement in the site creation, I wonder ? Like...did she come up with the concept...and how did it evolve into the amazing place it is today ? There must be...what...1000 members at least, scattered across all the sub-forums ? (or at least there have been over the years).

It's a pretty impressive testament to how great the series is, and how loyal and passionate a fan-base it has.

---

Plus...Moogie just sounds cool. I would love it if some future Shining game actually had a special character named "Moogie", in honor of her.

"Moogie attacks ! Goblin takes 35 damage. Goblin is exhausted !" - :thumbsup:
Doomblade66

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Sun Nov 06 2011 1:57pm

Doomblade66 wrote:I'm just so happy Moogie likes Shining Force so much.

What's the history of her involvement in the site creation, I wonder ? Like...did she come up with the concept...and how did it evolve into the amazing place it is today ? There must be...what...1000 members at least, scattered across all the sub-forums ? (or at least there have been over the years).

It's a pretty impressive testament to how great the series is, and how loyal and passionate a fan-base it has.

---

Plus...Moogie just sounds cool. I would love it if some future Shining game actually had a special character named "Moogie", in honor of her.

"Moogie attacks ! Goblin takes 35 damage. Goblin is exhausted !" - :thumbsup:

The site started out as just a SF2 guide back in the mid 90's - there weren't many on the web back then and SirFil (who ran one of the first SF2 sites) suggested I make a site too.
The SF2 site expanded and eventually included a message forum (wwwboard). I also started an SF and SitD site, with the SF site also having a message board. That was the beginnings of the forum community. As more people started more SF sites I thought it would be useful if there was a directory to organise and rank the sites. SFC was born as "The UnOfficial Shining Resources List", which wasn't used much and eventually went offline during its transition into Shining Force Central - intended to bring fans together into a community - inluding yet another simple message forum. Eventually it made sense to combine the communities and I installed IkonBoard and set up various subforums linked up to the main site.
The site itself has grown over the years and had various facelifts - as have the forums (wwwboard -> IkonBoard -> phpBB -> Invision Power Board -> phpBB again!).

Some pics of past SFC designs can be seen here:
http://www.shiningforcecentral.com/?p=i ... troduction

While I'd love my name to turn up in an SF game, the current series producer Mr Sawada seems to have a real chip on his shoulder when it comes to me and SFC so I don't see it ever happening. It's pleasing enough to see my name in the Final Conflict translation patch and knowing that I had some input into the translation when Atlus localised Shining Soul II :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby amitrius17 » Thu Dec 08 2011 9:34am

Your hosting costs $360 a year?! Jesus! Don't you think that's a bit steep? I know some quality web hosts that are half the price. And that's mid range, because I'm not referring to the Walmart-ish cheap and slow hosts like GoDaddy.
amitrius17

Postby Moogie » Thu Dec 08 2011 3:51pm

I've been considering downgrading the package a bit, but believe me I've done a helluva lot of research into hosts and enquired with dozens of them about specific areas of concern. A lot of them take issue with some of the site content and its potential questionable legality (large fansites seem to be a stumbling block for many hosts). Plus it's a reseller account which costs a bit more but means SFC can subhost other people's Shining sites (which of course I don't charge for) without breaking the terms and conditions of the host. Not only that but it's so bloody much hassle every time I have to move the site, I can't be dealing with it again and again. I've chosen my host, I trust them and if it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it. Sometimes it is worth paying a little bit more for something which is tried, tested and proven itself :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Evil Gately » Thu Dec 15 2011 11:18pm

I take it the poll you put up earlier this year about paying for the RPG/Shop system was a fundraising idea? I'm sure there's not many members here who are interested in it that wouldn't pay a token amount to play for a year, especially if they realised what the money was actually going towards! Aroud the £5/$7~ish mark seems reasonable, IMO. That would most certainly cut the hosting bill!
Darksol @ Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:02 am wrote:You have fallen from the path of righteous drunken adventures and now find yourself seeking cheap thrills at the expense of your pride. Remember, for a drunken adventure to be glorious, it cannot be scripted. And it certainly cannot be sewn.

He's fire and Ice
And Rage
He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun

He's ancient and Forever
He burns at the centre of time
And he can see the turn of the universe

Facebook (tell me who you are if you send a request!)

PSN ID: WingDagger (see above!)
Darksol @ Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:02 am wrote:You have fallen from the path of righteous drunken adventures and now find yourself seeking cheap thrills at the expense of your pride. Remember, for a drunken adventure to be glorious, it cannot be scripted. And it certainly cannot be sewn.

He's fire and Ice
And Rage
He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun

He's ancient and Forever
He burns at the centre of time
And he can see the turn of the universe

Facebook (tell me who you are if you send a request!)

PSN ID: WingDagger (see above!)
Evil Gately

Agent of Karma
Shining Legend

Postby Barnard » Fri Jan 27 2012 1:13pm

Though I strongly support Shining Force, I have failed to send in any donations so far. I know that the costs are covered for this year, but if my finances weren't in the crapper, I'd be happy to help.
I am focusing on other projects at the time being, and this may be my last work on the Shining Force: Legacy of Heroes project, until I can afford to buy the rights to the Shining series. My latest progress was a 3D rendition of Thornwood labyrinth as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mot2H8hAmAk&feature=youtu.be
I am focusing on other projects at the time being, and this may be my last work on the Shining Force: Legacy of Heroes project, until I can afford to buy the rights to the Shining series. My latest progress was a 3D rendition of Thornwood labyrinth as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mot2H8hAmAk&feature=youtu.be
Barnard

Postby junkwes » Thu Feb 16 2012 6:54am

I glanced through some of the replies and I just want to say that, in my opinion, Z Master is a complete fool. I hope Moogie is able to collect significantly more than your hosting fees for this awesome service/resource. If I were running such a wonderful site as this, I would try and take myself out to dinner to congratulate myself every chance I got. It is very common for sites to ask for donations year round (and those donations sometimes pay salaries as well). Moogie is being beyond unselfish about this.
junkwes

Previous

Return to SFC News