A 2nd Shining Force Neo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28 2005 7:51pm
by Legend of Josh
Many of us were dumbfounded to discover Neo was a hack-n-slash system VS the traditional turn-based RPG styling we're accustomed to, especially when it came to true "Shining" titles. To some, Neo started as a negative and still to this day remains a negative. For others, it started negative, but after playing Neo for a while it became tolerable or even for some, highly enjoyable.

I really enjoy the characters, storyline, etc. that Neo brings. It's not a classic like previous SF releases, but it's still very entertaining. To me anyway. I also love the battle system, even if it is hack-n-slash style.

If SEGA/Neverland released another Neo, I would probably prefer another battle system just like this one, but I think many others would love to see it go back to the old ways (turn-based).

What would you want if there was a 2nd Neo?

A 2nd Shining Force Neo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29 2005 8:44am
by Sinful Wolf
I'd say the old strategy style , however if they pumped the number of allies you could have in battle keeping the current system would be acceptable.

Re: A 2nd Shining Force Neo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29 2005 5:15pm
by Legend of Josh
Maybe a 2nd Neo with 4-6 new/more characters. Using perhaps 5 of them in battle at once.

That doesn't sound too bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29 2005 9:31pm
by Jogurt821
It won't have a sequal why because it has'nt sold well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29 2005 9:34pm
by Minos
I'd appreciate either a turn based system, or the "tradition" RPG battle system.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29 2005 9:54pm
by Tarethen
Minos @ Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:34 pm) wrote: I'd appreciate either a turn based system, or the "tradition" RPG battle system.

I agree.

Or, if done right, an action RPG/Tactical RPG hybrid. It doesn't have to be 12 character battle system, but maybe there could be parts where it's an action RPG, and then certain parts where it's a strategy RPG.

Hey... It could work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 2005 2:16am
by Fox
That sounds interesting... I have no idea how they would make it work though.

I'd love to see a sequal to Neo as I loved it (Although having more than three people in battle at once would make it way too easy if you ask me. They'd have to ramp the difficulty up if we were allowed more people in our party at once if it were hack n' slash), and like most of us if any new Shining game came out I'd like to see it return to its sRPG roots, but if I were a sequal to Neo I highly doubt they would change the battle system.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 2005 2:27am
by Aldur
Shining Force Neo Tactics.

<_<

>_>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 2005 2:29am
by Fox
Why go through all the trouble when they could just say Shining Force 4? :p

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 2005 2:54am
by Aldur
Because it's part of Neo and to show it's not got the same battle system.

Ala Suikoden Tactics and FF tactics. And so on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 2005 5:33am
by Odd_Eye
Hmm i haven't tried Shining Force Neo yet, and i wodner if it's worth the money, because i don't exactly enjoy the hack-and-slash system, although i always play dynasty warriors...

Well if there's a 2nd NEO, the best thing is they revert back to the strategy "turn" based system, which also can be called the traditional Shining Force Battle system...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 2005 3:42pm
by Legend of Josh
Hmm i haven't tried Shining Force Neo yet, and i wodner if it's worth the money, because i don't exactly enjoy the hack-and-slash system

This is the consensus of most Shining fans. I myself hate a hank-n-slash battle system. At first, I was extremely turned off by that element of Neo, but after I started playing, I couldn't stop. It's not for everyone, but many Shining fans enjoy Neo, and a select handful (like myself) absolutely find it a pleasure to play.

Well if there's a 2nd NEO, the best thing is they revert back to the strategy "turn" based system, which also can be called the traditional Shining Force Battle system...

I would love to have an edition of "turn-based" style, but to be honest, if a 2nd Neo was the same battle system, I wouldn't be upset. It's really more than just hack-n-slash - there's a complex items/weapons configuration. The degree of difficulty is a challenge. The game takes patience. It's far from a cakewalk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 2005 4:31pm
by Stordarth
if they continue the NEO series, they should carry on what they are doing. simply because then I can try and imagine the NEO series as a separate entity from the true force series. Neo should continue down the same path, and sega should return the true SRPG style force series to life with shining force 4.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 2005 5:00pm
by Demonic Weasel
Yeah, that'd be my vote as well. Now, if they continue the Neo series I'd want it to continue the way it is while they do something else if they want to revive the strategy Shining Force. That way it confirms that Neo is nothing more than a strange abbaration.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30 2005 5:03pm
by IrishRockerinMinnesota
LOL shining force neo 2 with strategybased gameplay. wow that wouldnt confuse the hell out of everyone. First all of us who played the whole shining series would be confused why they didnt just change the name back to shining force 4, while the newbies who've only played NEO would be confused why they changed the gameplay from hack and slash to strategy. that sounds dumb to me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01 2005 6:56am
by EmperorCesar
I played up to the prison section and stoped- i plan to pick it up again- after i finish RE PLAYING Shining Force 2. Is Neo a good game? Yes. Does it come close to the real thing? No. We should beg for Golden Sun Tactics.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01 2005 3:31pm
by Legend of Josh
2. Is Neo a good game? Yes. Does it come close to the real thing? No.

I myself love Neo, but you're 100% right, it's nothing in comparison to the original Shining games, especially SF1 & SF2. I always thought if SEGA (or whoever makes their games now) just simply kept the same exact battle system as SF2 - just enhanced the graphics and had a sh*tload of new characters, they'd have another classic in the making.

I played up to the prison section

You're in for a treat. I had trouble with that "level" I guess you could call it. Make sure you level up as much as possible before you get too deep in there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01 2005 7:10pm
by Flaming Manakin
Shining Force Neo 2

So, it starts...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02 2005 5:25pm
by Legend of Josh
So I suspect you're not a fan of the Neo genre.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08 2005 11:48am
by Flaming Manakin
Nothing wrong with Neo itself.

It's just that I fear the Shining Series. may have to pay a high price for it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08 2005 12:51pm
by Geoffrey Duke
SF Neo's departure from its winning origins has resulted in lacklustre sales, taking this once great series down with it. Bravo Sega.

We are still thinking in terms of sales figures, aren't we guys? Let me break it down for you: Action/RPGs = more sales. How many people used this "fact" to soothe the pain of departing from the Strategy/RPGs we all knew and loved?

LMFAO.

This is what happens when you try to cash in on a saturated genre; whereas, Disgaea proved that Sega could have tapped into another lesser explored (in the western world) yet potentially profitable market that had less competition for Sega to worry about.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14 2005 11:30pm
by Goonboy of Shining Camelot
You know as well as i do, Duke, that the all knowing Sega never make mistakes :)

As for a sequel? LMFAOLALA

Hell would have to freeze twice for that to happen. Why didn't Sega just get neverland to update RIGLORD SAGA instead? that would have suited their talents more than the abysmal failure of NEO.

If that SHINING FORCE and SAKURA TAISEN pretender(project manager)Tadashi Takezaki wants to continue to make mickey mouse RPGs then why don't he leave Sega and join the biggest mickey mouse RPG maker of them all and leave the real Sega RPGs to people like Smilebit and Overworks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15 2005 1:34am
by Geoffrey Duke
People have a habit of mistaking RPGs that sell extremely well with great RPGs. Even hardcore FF fans are pissed with the direction their favourite series has gone in. That just makes me laugh.

We might just have to accept the fact that in this age of big-budget games, there might not be any room left for a new 3D Shining Force tactical RPG. SF Neo disappointed a lot of people, but I'm beginning to wonder if Sega even took notice of that disappointment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15 2005 5:12am
by Bowie72
Gah... Neo makes Tears look like a great game. Endlessly pressing circle, and occasionally hitting square or triangle just bores the living F$@& out of me. Hopefully next time around, Sega will make the game that we want, not the game they think will sell better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15 2005 6:52am
by Legend of Josh
Neo isn't the second coming of Christ, but it's not a game that deserves to burn in hell either. Some of you guys are reacting to Neo as if the game itself raped your mother anally and did the classic "teg bag" on her chin and mouth.

In other words, it's not that bad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16 2005 1:29pm
Geoffrey Duke @ Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:34 am) wrote: People have a habit of mistaking RPGs that sell extremely well with great RPGs. Even hardcore FF fans are pissed with the direction their favourite series has gone in. That just makes me laugh.

We might just have to accept the fact that in this age of big-budget games, there might not be any room left for a new 3D Shining Force tactical RPG. SF Neo disappointed a lot of people, but I'm beginning to wonder if Sega even took notice of that disappointment.

Yeah since most people think FF 7 was a classic game...

But why did you say "if Sega took notice?" They can't possible think that the game was a success!?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16 2005 8:00pm
by Geoffrey Duke
I just wonder if Sega even realises that what we all really want is Shining Force IV, not some lame anime-laden Diablo-clone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16 2005 10:27pm
by Marky
Geoffrey Duke @ Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:00 pm) wrote: I just wonder if Sega even realises that what we all really want is Shining Force IV, not some lame anime-laden Diablo-clone.

I bet Sega doesn't even care. So long as it looks good, they'll make it. Whether the quality of the game is good, probably not. Sega hasn't been that successful; so I doubt Sega will even make a Shining Force IV.

I bet that if we voice our disgust for SFN (as you and I have), Sega wil stupidly make another regardless of our complaints. Second, Sega might get annoyed with our complaints, and piss us off even more by making another cr@ppy anime Diablo clone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16 2005 10:54pm
by Geoffrey Duke
All this makes me wonder how much a potential SF IV would sell. Knowing our luck, it would probably be made for a portable console. :(

You'd think Sega would have learned from the failure of SF Neo and the success of Disgaea and Fire Emblem by now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 3:06am
by Rogue
Shining Force III is the best game ever made and I bet I'll die before it gets beaten by any other game... Nuff said, Sega doesn't care and I am happy to have SF3.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 8:08am
by EmperorCesar
The more I play through this fairly good game the more i notice how insanely awsome this game would have been if it were multyplayer.... that was the key feature that keepd me playing Diablo 2 for so many years. Hack and Slashers are snore fests in single player... but Neo is actually a fun single player hack and slash... lots of wasted potential. If they add multyplayer in the sequel it should be a game to look foward to. And yes, I have lost all faith in Sega, all I can do now is pray for Camelot to start their own Strat-RPG franchise/series.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 5:24pm
Geoffrey Duke @ Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:54 pm) wrote: All this makes me wonder how much a potential SF IV would sell. Knowing our luck, it would probably be made for a portable console. :(

You'd think Sega would have learned from the failure of SF Neo and the success of Disgaea and Fire Emblem by now.

Well that's a bit unfair comment to make,isn't it? We don't know what's the next SHINING game's gonna be for home systems apart from the mobile SHINING ROAD and CHRONICLE games.

Unless you know that the next SHINING FORCE being made isn't a SRPG....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 2005 6:36pm
by Geoffrey Duke
I haven't a clue. I'm just not very optimistic at the moment. I mean, even if they made SF IV for the PS2 *now* there's no way in hell it would reach the rest of the world now that the new consoles are coming out.

Sega screwed us with SF Neo, really.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20 2005 5:31am
by PrinceZach
Id like Hack in slash in 1 condition they make it 5 people or so and screen size bigger and have actually u and 4 friends play or something. other than that Turn based

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22 2005 6:37am
by Marky
Geoffrey Duke @ Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:36 pm) wrote: I haven't a clue. I'm just not very optimistic at the moment. I mean, even if they made SF IV for the PS2 *now* there's no way in hell it would reach the rest of the world now that the new consoles are coming out.

Sega screwed us with SF Neo, really.

I doubt Sega is even thinking about a Shining Force 4. Sega just continues with stupid mistakes.

I bet they will make a sequel to Neo (like Shining Soul II for Shining Soul I) without thinking about the quality of the game, its tie-in with the Shining World, and pleasure of actually playing it.

Neo flopped big.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22 2005 6:35pm
by Tarethen
Marky @ Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:37 am) wrote: I doubt Sega is even thinking about a Shining Force 4. Sega just continues with stupid mistakes.

I bet they will make a sequel to Neo (like Shining Soul II for Shining Soul I) without thinking about the quality of the game, its tie-in with the Shining World, and pleasure of actually playing it.

Neo flopped big.

Well, if Sega does make Neo 2, they will definitely be able to learn from their mistakes.

Look how much better SS II was than SS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03 2006 8:29pm
by Noahd42
they need to make a game with no mistakes for once and actually get an origional product on the market.
myself i would not like to see Shining Force IV due to the fact that the series ended on such a good note, the series is dead but remembered.
The Forbidden Series VII is a great game no matter what you say, the series has slumped since then the peak of the series was definitley from IV- VII.

if SF Neo 2 was released, i think i'd be dissapointed, the game is great on its own but is hindered by some annoyances that hardcore fans must get past. It still offers very indepth gameplay and a solid story line for a hack and slash.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09 2006 5:21pm
by rikku
I like the new battle system i always love hack and slash and action rpg type of games

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09 2006 11:20pm
by TKTOWA
Though the Shining Force games took what was called a "turn for the worst" I enjoyed the hack/slash style very much. To be honest, I don't like hack/slash games at all. They're boring, repetitive and plain. But Shining Tears and Shining Force Neo seemed to have done hack/slash right. I enjoyed them both and since the company seems to do better with hack/slash than anyone else, they should keep doing what they're doing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 2006 12:06am
by Fox
Yup I also enjoyed the hack and slash style that was in Neo. I acctually asked myself if I was bored(Of the battles) about 30 or so hours into the game and I realized I was still having fun slaying countless monsters in every area.

I'm not saying the original battle style of Shining Force should go the way of the dodo though. I'd like another traditonal Force game as much as any of you, but Neo was just a fun game and I wouldn't be dissapointed if a sequal came out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12 2006 5:40pm
Tarethen @ Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:35 pm) wrote: Well, if Sega does make Neo 2, they will definitely be able to learn from their mistakes.

Look how much better SS II was than SS.

And how much better is the series for it? Improvements on a massive errors hasn't secured the future of this series so far. Sega needs to knock a homerun of a game if were to see SHINING FORCE go beyond 2012.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12 2006 7:17pm
by Geoffrey Duke
I almost wish Neverland would go under for destroying Shining Force.

Damn, I'm bitter. :devil:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13 2006 1:18am
by Chaos Wizard
Personally I just think of the Storyline for Neo as an alternate universe. The game is really fun, reguardless of whether it's a strat-RPG or not. Although I would have absolutely loved a new SF SRPG.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24 2006 9:36pm
Yes that thinking could work but then sega would have to explain everything if a ShF4 by Camelot were to ever come out. it would most likely confuse new players,so i doubt Sega will ever change back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28 2006 3:42am
by +|Nemesis|+
Fox @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:29 am) wrote: Why go through all the trouble when they could just say Shining Force 4? :p

they put the name shining force neo cuz' if its shining force 4 it wouldn't be too attractive it's natural.... just by the name of a game makes us wanna buy it.....?

and also if you already know the title "Shining" before thats why you buy it... ^_^ :shifty:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01 2006 8:37pm
by Ace
I haven't tried Shining Force Neo yet, but I plan on purchasing a copy when I have some more free time in the summer. I got Shining Tears when it came out .. but never had the chance to finish it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01 2006 10:06pm
by zebie
If they made a second shining force neo or shining force 4 or whatever they would call it i would buy it the day it came out! :shock:[COLOR=blue]and i think the new
hack-and-slash system is awsome it would also be better if they had about 5 characters in the paty at once. Seeing for the fact your fighting like (alot).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 2006 12:15am
by jj_frap
It baffles my mind that Sega is releasing this crap when it's obvious that the people want them to make Shining Force 4 and to hurry up and finish the Phantasy Star 4 remake that's already God-knows-how-late.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 2006 5:01am
by Lord of the Isles
jj_frap @ Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:15 pm) wrote: Phantasy Star 4 remake

:shock:

Link. Now!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 2006 12:37pm
by Flaming Manakin
I wouldn't be surprised if the Phantasy Star 4 remake is never made.
Anyway, there's little chance any of the remakes will ever get a translation.

I'd love to play the Phantsay Star 2 remake in english.

Anyway, this is getting a little off topic I suppose...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04 2012 10:13pm
by Legend of Josh
Goonboy of Shining Camelot wrote:You know as well as i do, Duke, that the all knowing Sega never make mistakes :)

As for a sequel? LMFAOLALA

Hell would have to freeze twice for that to happen. Why didn't Sega just get neverland to update RIGLORD SAGA instead? that would have suited their talents more than the abysmal failure of NEO.

If that SHINING FORCE and SAKURA TAISEN pretender(project manager)Tadashi Takezaki wants to continue to make mickey mouse RPGs then why don't he leave Sega and join the biggest mickey mouse RPG maker of them all and leave the real Sega RPGs to people like Smilebit and Overworks.

So, I suppose hell froze over, right? Twice.

LMAO

I haven't even played Shining Force EXA yet. I wonder if GameStop would have any in stock?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04 2012 10:31pm
by ehow22
EXA is NEO just with a different storyline/characters + a tedious defend the castle bit.

Same monsters, same maps, similar(or same, been awhile) music, etc...

The majority of EXA is just reused junk from NEO.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05 2013 2:24am
by stljumpster
Which one is better?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07 2013 5:55am
by ShiningForceKaya
depends on your personal tastes, attention span and how much you like training XD!

Neo, harder levels and more training, but more challenging which I like personally. Lovable lands. decent voice acting, lovable characters. Good overall. Loved how I could see the resemblances between the old and new.
Love the music and animation cut scenes.

Exa, great animation, LOVE THE CHARACTERS, good story (but feels like half is missing, I swear!) ability to play over again with other character plus new areas after game. Easy game play (way too easy compared to neo.... until after game that is) map areas are a disappointment due to a hodgepodge of neo lands, but over all lovable game. good music, but again like neo, but changed. AND it must be good if Sega chose that game over ALL other shining titles to represent the shining series for project x zone, so yeah.

Honestly I love them about the same. I played the original shining force since I was 6 till I found out the phenomenon of internet and saw shining force neo in a game stop. I honestly didn't know about 2 or any other games so for me I never knew anything else but neo and the original. For me I have a love for all shining force games due to that fact. Took me awhile to switch to exa though and HATED it at first, but now I LOVE IT!!!
Nostalgia seems to have played a big role for most people here.....

Give shining force games a chance and play (for some people suffer) through it all THEN decide whether it sucks or not, you may find it might just grow on you! (like they have for me)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18 2017 1:26pm
by Geoffrey Duke
Geoffrey Duke wrote:I almost wish Neverland would go under for destroying Shining Force.

Damn, I'm bitter. :devil:

Was there a market for this game?

Was there a bigger market for Shining Force IV with Grandia 2 graphics?

I believe there was.

Camelot, a kingdom of knights who defend the kind. I believed SF could have become the greatest Strategy/RPG series there ever was. That's what I believed. You believe what you believe. I'm still angry, but it's your series.