Shining Tears: Shining Tears.. anime?

Discuss Sega's first Shining action RPG for the S*ny Playstation 2.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

zer0kage
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Tears.. anime?

Post by zer0kage »

Dunno if you all realized it but Xion seems to be called Zero.
Neige the best, the cool beauty..
Silverwolf X
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Silverwolf X »

I have a baaaaaaaad feeling about this....
THE Import Freak is IN da House.
On Western game publishing policy:
WHAT THE F***!?
Ashley
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Ashley »

Maybe the update was an April Fool?
Shadow Angel
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Shadow Angel »

"Her fate is foretold by the whispers of the trees." - Forest Of Fate

"How much longer can I stand not being by your side? Seeing you is like a dream, one that I wish never to wake up from."

"Just once in my life I think it'd be nice, just to lose control just once, with all the pretty flowers in the dust, it's true were all a little insane"

"Souma, have you ever eaten trash in an alley? have you ever been backstabbed by someone you thought was your friend Have you ever gotten down on your knees to beg for your life from someone you hate so much you want to kill him? you wouldn't would you your fine with that I want you to walk the path where sun shines a life with a warm peaceful path that's why I left you." - Tsubasa
Tarethen
jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Post by Tarethen »

I saw some screen captures from the first episode. Some of them were very Tony Taka hentai. Bleh.

Anyway, Youtube has the opening/closing of the anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k775kSUfqI

"Shining Tears" theme is the opening. The ending is "Silhouette of Light" or something.

Watching the opening makes me want Shining Wind to hurry up and come out. =/
zer0kage
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by zer0kage »

Ep1 = generic.

I hope it picks up. D:
Shadow Angel
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Shadow Angel »

also the first eppy was on youtube but it was taken down do to flaggers
"Her fate is foretold by the whispers of the trees." - Forest Of Fate

"How much longer can I stand not being by your side? Seeing you is like a dream, one that I wish never to wake up from."

"Just once in my life I think it'd be nice, just to lose control just once, with all the pretty flowers in the dust, it's true were all a little insane"

"Souma, have you ever eaten trash in an alley? have you ever been backstabbed by someone you thought was your friend Have you ever gotten down on your knees to beg for your life from someone you hate so much you want to kill him? you wouldn't would you your fine with that I want you to walk the path where sun shines a life with a warm peaceful path that's why I left you." - Tsubasa
waterangel

Post by waterangel »

I have a copy of the first episode now.. but no one has started fan-subbing it yet, so I can't understand anything that is being said :( But it seems interesting, I like the style of animation.. and I like how they're fitting pretty closely to the game too ^_^
~Waterangel~
Edge`

Post by Edge` »

zer0kage @ Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:45 pm) wrote: Ep1 = generic.

I hope it picks up. D:
I second this.

orz
Silverwolf X
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Silverwolf X »

Well, interesting to note that the new cast is from our world and got dragged into the mess of their lifetime.

Still, its an overused story concept though. Especially in HGames... >.>
THE Import Freak is IN da House.
On Western game publishing policy:
WHAT THE F***!?
zer0kage
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by zer0kage »

Shining SEED go!!!
Dr. Casey
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Dr. Casey »

The Shining Tears anime was amazing. The artwork was beautiful, the action scenes are some of the best in history, and the music really tugs at the heartstrings. I sincerely recommend this incredible series to anyone, even you people that hated the actual game.
cullsoft wrote:Arful barfle gloop to you too.
Okami
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Okami »

hmmm i wouldnt mind seeing this supposed anime.
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

I've finally gotten around to watching this on YouTube. Have only seen the first eight episodes so far, but judged solely for what it is rather than as part of the Shining series, it seems like a pretty mediocre show.

The two main problems are that none of the characters are truly likable, and the story is gratuitously angst-ridden and depressing. But I'm also quite rankled by the show's derogatory depiction of women. Episode 3 had a particularly jaw-dropping moment:
Spoiler
Souma: Here, Kiriya. This sword is now your property, and this girl is your property too. [Shoves Kureha at Kiriya.]
Me: Oh, wow. I wonder if Kiriya will manage to sock Souma in the jaw before Kureha kicks that misogynist pig right in the -
Kiriya: Okay, but why?
Kureha: [bows head submissively]
Me: :eyebrow:
Besides the general depiction of women as submissive and dependent on men, the whole soul blade thing strikes me as rather chauvinistic.

Speaking strictly as a Shining series fan, though, I'm happy to have the series. It's a treat to see many of the characters, monsters, and civilized races of the Shining series represented in anime form, and the show is quite faithful to the games in terms of all those elements. :thumbsup: Well, so far as I know(haven't played Shining Wind).
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
wolfblood82
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by wolfblood82 »

Actually from what I've understood from the Youtubers, the SW game was actually Kiriya's side of the story while the anime was that of Souma's. And tbh I dun have any probs with angst and depression in my anime as long as the whole thing is relevant to the plot and characters. This one could be considered part of the equation as well. Unfortunately the angst seemed to be the only personality trait truly visible in the vital characters and hence, the defining identity of the major players in the anime actually got screwed quite a lot in terms of appeal.

As for your view on the chauvinism, tbh the only real examples of submissive females would be Kureha, Ryuna, Saionji's kouhai (forgot her name) and Clannaclad (sp?). The others seems rather fine to me. At least I won't bill Elwynn as part of the equation. And anybody who did the same for Blanc Neige ought to be shot.

One thing of note in terms of the sword extraction tho
Spoiler
Why is it that the common reaction from the characters when the blades got extracted from them seems like something straight from a H anime? Yaoi fangirls are really gonna get apeshit crazy over the Souma x Kiriya bs. Lazarus for obvious reasons tho nvr displayed that kind of reaction at least feel wise.
And one extreme sexual innuendo
Spoiler
Due to the H nature of the facial reactions mentioned just now, I really feel like the scene where Souma took both Elwynn and Ryuna's blades really seemed like a potential H anime threesome in terms of the interactions prior to the extraction. And the whole given extraction process just amplified the feeling a 100x
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

QUOTE (wolfblood82 @ Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:26 pm) This one could be considered part of the equation as well.
This sentence has me intrigued, but I can't figure out what it means... Could you explain what you mean by "This one" and "the equation"?

QUOTE As for your view on the chauvinism, tbh the only real examples of submissive females would be Kureha, Ryuna, Saionji's kouhai (forgot her name) and Clannaclad (sp?). The others seems rather fine to me. At least I won't bill Elwynn as part of the equation. And anybody who did the same for Blanc Neige ought to be shot.

It's not so much how many of the women are completely submissive as the general roles that men and women play in the series. The men make the decisions, the men debate in the diplomatic meetings, the men fight the battles. The women just stand behind the men and lean back in submission when men need their soul blades. Or else they spend all their time chasing after a man(e.g.Mao). Blanc Neige is different, but she doesn't get very much screen time.

QUOTE And one extreme sexual innuendo
Spoiler
Due to the H nature of the facial reactions mentioned just now, I really feel like the scene where Souma took both Elwynn and Ryuna's blades really seemed like a potential H anime threesome in terms of the interactions prior to the extraction. And the whole given extraction process just amplified the feeling a 100x
You know, I was wondering if anyone else got that impression or if I was just in a dirty frame of mind when I saw that bit. I can't see any hard evidence that the sexual innuendo was intentional, but
Spoiler
the big deal the two girls made of whose sword Souma would use(even though that was done for humorous effect), combined with the way Souma leered when he said "I'll take both!", definitely gave me that impression.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

wolfblood82
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by wolfblood82 »

QUOTE (Martin III @ Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:45 am) This sentence has me intrigued, but I can't figure out what it means... Could you explain what you mean by "This one" and "the equation"?

It's not so much how many of the women are completely submissive as the general roles that men and women play in the series. The men make the decisions, the men debate in the diplomatic meetings, the men fight the battles. The women just stand behind the men and lean back in submission when men need their soul blades. Or else they spend all their time chasing after a man(e.g.Mao). Blanc Neige is different, but she doesn't get very much screen time.

You know, I was wondering if anyone else got that impression or if I was just in a dirty frame of mind when I saw that bit. I can't see any hard evidence that the sexual innuendo was intentional, but
Spoiler
the big deal the two girls made of whose sword Souma would use(even though that was done for humorous effect), combined with the way Souma leered when he said "I'll take both!", definitely gave me that impression.

What I mean by the equation quote is meant to portray the fact that I dun actually mind the angst and what not in terms of this anime's plot and characters impact wise. But as I've said as well, the whole thing was being over done in such a way that the vital characters' personality actually seemed the same. -.-

As for your take on chauvinism, well it seems that we're seeing a pseudo medieval settings here after all. :S
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

QUOTE (wolfblood82 @ Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:50 pm) As for your take on chauvinism, well it seems that we're seeing a pseudo medieval settings here after all. :S
Yeah... Though the funny thing is, the female characters who come from the "real world" 21st Century are generally more submissive than the ones from the pseudo medieval world.

Just finished watching episode 11.
Spoiler
The battle against Hiruda's sword is a riot. I can't figure out whether the hilarity of that situation was intentional or not. Either way, you gotta give 'em credit for coming up with something so wacky.
Forgot to mention... Another little thing about the show that I enjoy as a Shining fan is the "So, you've come to hear more of the story?" bit. A nice salute to the Shining "hosts".

Dr. Casey
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Dr. Casey »

shining tears rules
cullsoft wrote:Arful barfle gloop to you too.