Shining Tears: It is boriiiiing

Worth playing?

Discuss Sega's first Shining action RPG for the S*ny Playstation 2.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

It is boriiiiing

Post by Diego_Didakus »

So I played this game up to the part that you protect some dwaves with the wolf guy (first time that he is a partner), but until now I thinking this game is boring and the battle is too easy. The question is: is it worth to continue playing? the games gets better past the first 30 minutes?
calibur

Re: It is boriiiiing

Post by calibur »

I was under the impression all the good Shining games came from Camelot and that they left Sega under a clause to not produce anything to threaten the Shining series. I looked them up and their last game was a tennis game for the Wii (something like that) :confused:

I never tried the game but...
I guess you got what was advertised. Shining Tears of boredom :(
MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

Did it bore you to... tears?
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

DiegoMM wrote:So I played this game up to the part that you protect some dwaves with the wolf guy (first time that he is a partner), but until now I thinking this game is boring and the battle is too easy. The question is: is it worth to continue playing? the games gets better past the first 30 minutes?
Belated response, but from your description you're still in what is basically the tutorial section of the game. So yes, it does get a lot harder. Especially towards the end.

Quality-wise, I find Shining Tears one of the weakest entries in the series. It's good fun for a while, but ultimately the combat gets rather repetitive. Shining Soul II (to which Tears is a spiritual sequel) is a dozen times better. Among the PS2 games, I also find SF Exa to be a massive improvement.
Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Diego_Didakus »

After finishing soul 2, im giving a second try on shinig tears now. After the tutorial the games get more interesting, allowing you to choose a partner and all.
chevkraken
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by chevkraken »

try to find a friend to play with you, too, the game is made for multiplayer
Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Diego_Didakus »

My savestate file just got corrupt and im on the half of the game. Anyone here have a memory card save? im around lvl 20 with xion.
Faisal
The Asian Sensation
Shining Hero

Post by Faisal »

Actually this game is not that boring if you stick to it it gets really good but to each his own choice :)
Eat food,sleep,wake up,eat food,eat some more,eat a little more,sleep.Repeat everyday and be awesome (Y)
Rune
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Rune »

I started in on this, in an attempt to go through the post camelot shining games. I'm at the desert battle, so I guess somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2 way through. This is not a good game. Obvious complaints (ignoring story) are the poorly designed battle system and having to run between a bunch of loading screens to get to the different shops/smithys.

What's wrong the with battle system? The enemy AI is nonexistent and so is the ally AI. They couldn't at least let me switch between "stay near me", "attack the enemy", and "avoid the enemy" like every other game with AI companions? It's just shit unless you're playing 2 player.

Sure, you can control your ally, except they run in the wrong direction as soon as you let them move on their own. So unless you are keeping your right thumb on the joystick and therefore using your right fingers for all the other buttons, you're screwed. Of course, this assumes you can move two different dots on the screen with two different controls at the same time, which is something humans tend to be very bad at.

I'll finish it, but I won't bother with advance mode. Right now, it gets a 6/10, but I bet it'll drop to a 4/10.
chevkraken
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by chevkraken »

What do you expect from an hack n slash? The game was made to be played in 2 players mode.

have you already played an hack n slash in solo? It's often very bad (even great Hack n slash like Diablo, Gaunlet and PSO)

And in 2 players mode, the game is excellent, the 8 playable character and the mirror mode offert a big amount of variety replayability and it's very fun to levelling each character and looting and crafting the best equipment

for me solo mode is 5/10, but two player mode is 7 or even 8
Rune
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Rune »

You want to know what I expected? I expected them to give me the standard feature in every game with AI party members. The ability to tell them to spend most of their time near or away from the enemy.

And I found solo PSO to be plenty enjoyable.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

I loved playing through PSO solo the first time, but felt the solo experience suffered when it came to replay value unless looking for more of a challenge.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Rune
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Rune »

I just wanted to post an update about it. I totally lost interest and dropped the game.