Shining Force: Stuff I'd love to see added to Shining Force

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Stuff I'd love to see added to Shining Force

Post by ResidentLeever »

1. The ability to skip watching the cursor moving across the battlefield during enemy turns by pressing a button or button combo. Or simply a faster moving cursor. During my current playthrough I've been spamming the fast forward button in Regen. :sleep:

2. Removed delay before the characters move in each battle cutscene.

3. Characters auto-equip a bought or given weapon as long as the weapon is equippable by them.

4. Skippable jingles - the raise jingle, promote jingle, and so on.

5. The main battle theme in a battle continues instead of reseting after each battle cutscene (which have their own short tracks).

6. NPCs move out of your way more quickly.

7. Battle maps turn normal after you win so you can have the automatic item passing hack work there, and talk to party members to hear some banter without going to the HQ.

8. Status menu is accessible outside of battle and the HQ.

9. A deployment phase before each battle starts.

10. Context sensitive interact button (search/talk).

11. Having the character menu not close and the game going out of the menu completely after for example transferring or equipping an item - instead it goes to the previous menu (where in the case of items you select between use, give, drop, equip).

12. Music that uses drum samples from the sequel instead. Here's a forum thread about instrument replacement: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... usic-hacks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having a lot of experience with FM (YM2612 and YM2151 anyway) I might be doing SF2 style remakes of most of the soundtrack after my graphics hack is done, hopefully someone can help put them in the game.

13. You can execute Balbazak if you want to, Suikoden style. :blush: :thumbsup:

How about you guys, which non-editable thing(s) would you change about the game?
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Stuff I'd love to see added to Shining Force

Post by Righteous Force »

Your #5 point is one that has been bothering me for awhile. Especially in SF2 where it's much more noticeable on the overworld map battle tune. In SF3 this issue only exists in the penultimate battles (which makes me wonder if this is the issue Camelot tried to get Sega to help resolve, but Sega was determined to move onto Dreamcast and leave Camelot on their own - as discussed in that PD text journal).
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Stuff I'd love to see added to Shining Force

Post by DomingoRules! »

#5 always bothered me because some of the best tunes in the game take about a minute to really get going, making it almost impossible to ever properly appreciate them when attack sequences are playing out every 10 seconds.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737