Shining Force: Tamakis Intro Sketches

Some new story pieces?

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Produn

Tamakis Intro Sketches

Post by Produn »

Hi there,

while searching for Landstalker artwork I stumbled upon a webpage which seems to belong to Yoshitaka Tamaki, our well beloved SF artist.

http://white-surge.secret.jp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In one of this websites sections I found around 35pieces of a doodle/sketch with japanese text for the intro of Shining Force. One of these pics showing the part where Lowe carries the exhausted Max from the shore to the town - the pic which can be found in the JP SF manual and which looks right taken out of the game.

http://white-surge.secret.jp/sf_st00001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im really really interested in what the text is about? Mostly because Max seems to have brought the Sword of Light with him (from the past?), which would mean its not Guardianas treasure since hundred of ages?!

Has anyone ever seen these pictures? Im searching the net for Tamaki/SF art for ages, but never discovered this. Also thought Tamakis site (Salamander) was down since some years.
As a huge Tamaki fan I can tell, that these sketches werent made during SF1 development. But they are clearly too young for RODD. I think he made them probably between 1996 and 1998 (Feda2, Climax Landers time) so the story might be orginal and not "updated" :D

Assassins
Mentat
Shining Legend

Re: Tamakis Intro Sketches

Post by Assassins »

Simone pouring tea <3
The failblood.

"I am very poorly and very stupid and I hate everyone and everything" -Charles Darwin
Caedmonball19
The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Post by Caedmonball19 »

I saw these just the other day and commented on another thread about them but I love these images. If they are indeed be original artist then there are some great takeaways from the images.
Max is shown being washed ashore and has the sword of light in a bag with him. He and Lowe become good friends after Lowe drags him to shore, Max has a personality as he is shown smiling after Varios knocks him to the ground. Lowe is shown watching the sparring match which possibly shows how close he and Max were. It would be neat for a forum member who is gifted artistically to draw in the final lines and color these images. I think they are a gold mine.
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

And of course, translate all the text. :)

They seem really great!
Could it turn into a magazine? :excited:
Flygon