Shining Force: Max solo

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Max solo

Post by Kcid »

I'm sure someone here has tried a Max solo. I've decided to try to run through one, if I can stand it. I've done it a few times on RotDD but not LoGI.
Basically I'm killing off anyone that joins at the start of a battle, then egressing and starting it again. I already have Max to level 5 and I'm not past battle 1 yet, but I figured this would be the case. Time to grind.
Anyone have advice?
I can also post some updates here if anyone is interested in following.
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
Cyric
Tyrannosaurus Sex
Shining Legend

Re: Max solo

Post by Cyric »

I ran a Max Solo nearly 10 years ago. On a cartridge. TWICE.

As I recall, both times I promoted Max at lvl 20 before completing the first battle. It was Super-Grindy, but once he was promoted, I blew through the first half of the game. Things get a bit easier once you collect the rings/swords that can cast spells when used as items.
Founder of SFC's Kids Club - Proudly Brainwashing children since 2004.

Author of The Ballad of Vankar

Initial Owner - Thief Trophy SFCRPGv2

Felix qui potest rerum cognoscere causas...
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

I may pause for grinding, but so far I got out of the first two battles at level 6. I doubt I'll get around the Rune Knights in battle 3 without some serious grinding. I just bypassed the two in the second battle to get back to Guardiana.
SaladinTCO
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by SaladinTCO »

yeah battle 3 and battle 6 were where I grinded most early game when I did this. Marionette is one hell of a wall though
Cyric
Tyrannosaurus Sex
Shining Legend

Post by Cyric »

Which is why I kept grinding until I could promote at the first battle. By doing that, I was so rediculously overpowered that that thing was a chump.
Founder of SFC's Kids Club - Proudly Brainwashing children since 2004.

Author of The Ballad of Vankar

Initial Owner - Thief Trophy SFCRPGv2

Felix qui potest rerum cognoscere causas...
Sniper Lyle
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Sniper Lyle »

I tried one of these awhile ago. Eventually I got hung up on Elliot, all his monsters just chipped away at me one HP at a time.

Maybe I didn't level grind enough, I dunno though, I was only gaining one EXP for killing a monster so I called it quits.
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

I. Hate. Bats.

I mean, come on. Who gets bit (or slapped, or whatever) by a bat and suddenly says "I'm sleepy, I think I'll take a nap?"

Anyways, I currently have a level 12 Max Solo in the Cavern of Darkness. I'll probably be grinding some here, because I'm going to need more HP to survive the mages at the end (or just keep saving until they play dumb and attack instead of cast blaze). I managed to run around the zombies in the previous battle while only getting attacked twice and escaped to town to skip them.

I was at battle 3 for FOREVER and eventually used a power potion and defense potion so the Rune Knights didn't hurt so bad. Then I figured out how to lure out only 2 at a time, so that helped a lot, too.

And my last few levels have given me one stat a piece...which is frustrating when it takes so long to level. I think from 9 to 12 I gained 2 HP and 2 Agility...and I think even some MP.

Alas...I must grind on...it's been somewhat easy to do while I study. It helps at the beginning of battles while I wait on my turn again.
Lucifer
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Lucifer »

Cyric is right: The best strategy would have been to grind to level 20 and promote Max before finishing the first battle. Promoting by the end of the first battle would not only have provided you with Max's higher HERO stat gains early on, but it would have also taken care of the "promotion stat drop" issue while the battles were still easy.

Word of advice: If you need to skip even a single enemy, or if you barely survive, then you aren't prepared to move on to the next battle. Speaking from experience, Max solos are really hard towards the end of the game.
Kcid
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kcid »

I'm at the circus battle and I'm going to hang out here for a long time. I've made it to level 15 and this battle has fewer enemies and a smaller map, so I think I can deal with it for a while. I'm not sure how far I'll go, but at least through promotion and probably for at least 5 more levels. I'm hoping I can get my defense high enough for Marionette to only deal 1-2 damage so I can grind while he regenerates his HP.

Edit:

Finally got promoted, so there's that. I gained 6 attack on level 20. I lost 8 attack when I promoted. Figures. I wonder how much longer before I can get past the circus...

Edit:

I haven't updated much but I've made it to Elliott. I'll post up some stats in a few days when I go back at it. I may record a session since I'm not just grinding the same battle over and over again right now.