Shining Force: Shining Force Simple Edition

for the n00bs like me

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

ehow22
Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Re: Shining Force Simple Edition

Post by ehow22 »

DomingoRules! wrote:Nah. Simple edition would also throw in Peter. That's your whole party. Just Domingo and Peter. And thus, Darksol's forces were leveled in a day. They didn't even need to waste any time with all those boat shenanigans because they just flew straight from Guardiana to Runefaust.
Throw in Balbaroy/Amon....because Chaos Breaker. :shifty:
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

ehow22 wrote:
DomingoRules! wrote:Nah. Simple edition would also throw in Peter. That's your whole party. Just Domingo and Peter. And thus, Darksol's forces were leveled in a day. They didn't even need to waste any time with all those boat shenanigans because they just flew straight from Guardiana to Runefaust.
Throw in Balbaroy/Amon....because Chaos Breaker. :shifty:
But if they skip everything like I suggested, they would likely never obtain either swords even necessary to form the Chaos Breaker. Hell, they wouldn't even get the Orb of Light to learn about the weapon.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Pingurules
That One Birdman
Shining Hero

Post by Pingurules »

Update! I'm making even more weapons, including one that hits multiple enemies. I also refined HP values of Ken, Luke, and other chars that have a solid 10 HP when they join regardless of whatever. I also refined a few weapons' balance and improved the visuals on some of my sprites. Finally, I made palettes for some weapons.

Also, you get a cookie if you get the reference for this sword weapon shown on the screen.
Hint: It's not Volcannon.
For some reason, I find the majority of birds to be irresistibly cute.

SFC RPG: Wins-14 Losses-684 Escapes-57
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

The blade reminds me of Seven Strike from the game Okami, so all I can guess is it's either based on that, or based on the sword Seven Strike is based on, the name and details of which I can't recall.

SaladinTCO
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by SaladinTCO »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-Branched_Sword" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty much all fiction multibladed swords are based on this, including Seven Strike, the 7 bladed sword from Castlevania, and a lot of Asian mythos. So even if you aren't referencing this sword, the chances are the sword you are referencing is itself a reference to this sword.
Pingurules
That One Birdman
Shining Hero

Post by Pingurules »

SaladinTCO wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-Branched_Sword

Pretty much all fiction multibladed swords are based on this, including Seven Strike, the 7 bladed sword from Castlevania, and a lot of Asian mythos. So even if you aren't referencing this sword, the chances are the sword you are referencing is itself a reference to this sword.
Well that ended quickly.
As promised, :cookie: here you go.

I kinda wanted the game to have a Japan reference aside from the obvious katana, so I did abut 5 minutes of searching and I found that and I thought "Why not?"

SaladinTCO
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by SaladinTCO »

YAY! I like cookies. Also swords, in case you hadn't guessed.

Will give your hack a go, when real life allows it (which may be soon, considering my employment status is due to change because of injury)
Pingurules
That One Birdman
Shining Hero

Post by Pingurules »

Small update:
Refined a few weapons' visuals and gave some palettes.
Also, should I replace Jogurt with another character mentioned in the remake? Cos I want to take advantage of the fact that Jogurt is unaffected by cursed rings, and further the story just a little. Of course, by doing that it's not quite the original cast, but...

Lucifer
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Lucifer »

Out of the 3 remake characters, Narsha would probably be the best choice. She has a role that, if told correctly, would fit into SF1's storyline (dare I say) perfectly.
Pingurules
That One Birdman
Shining Hero

Post by Pingurules »

I was referring to Vern, but Narsha seems like a good pick I might do someday in an alternate version of this hack.

Vern is that guy who gets steel wings and visited a giant sky castle and became immortal and stuff. Mentioned in Balbaroy's support conversations.

Lucifer
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Lucifer »

Sorry, I misinterpreted the question. Balbaroy's legend about a Birdman who flew as a lifestyle instead of a skill and managed to reach space through sheer wing-power (Vern) would definitely make a good character (at least stat-wise). Since this is a legend, I'm wondering how long ago those events transpired? It's possible that Vern could've been long dead by the time Max's quest begins.

Edit: It states that Vern lived hundreds of years ago, however it never said that he gained immortality.
Pingurules
That One Birdman
Shining Hero

Post by Pingurules »

Huh. Maybe I read that wrong. Either way I plan to give him just a little bit of backstory explaining why he is still alive.

EDIT: I found proof in Support Level 12/13.
"They say Vern got some steel wings from that faraway world. And
if you had those wings, you never get tired, and you can fly forever. They say
Vern became immortal
. And he flies with his steel wings alone in the sky where
no one else can go. Even now. For all eternity..."

Lucifer
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Lucifer »

Pingurules wrote:Huh. Maybe I read that wrong. Either way I plan to give him just a little bit of backstory explaining why he is still alive.

EDIT: I found proof in Support Level 12/13.
"They say Vern got some steel wings from that faraway world. And
if you had those wings, you never get tired, and you can fly forever. They say
Vern became immortal
. And he flies with his steel wings alone in the sky where
no one else can go. Even now. For all eternity..."
I stand corrected, and would love to see that character implemented into the game.
abig84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by abig84 »

DomingoRules! wrote:I actually thought the game's difficulty was just right back when I was a kid. Not overwhelming, but just enough that I felt threatened and would at least lose a few characters each battle.
i just mentioned in another post, i beat shining force 2 over and over and never played 1 until a rew weeks ago. and compared to shining force 2 its pretty challenging but i liked it. auto-healing bosses, crazy terrain fights, unpredictable enemy movements, i thought it was strange to be 2 squares away from them and they dont run at you like they do in 2. though i did find 1 to be more linear as you really couldnt free roam.

i honestly think i played it in the right order, being a little kid playing sf1 i may have rage quit. the only time i had to consult a walkthrough where i got stuck was in the very beginning of the game i got stuck at where you have to search the head and pull a lever

i played on xbox on the sonics ultimate collection disc, only time i found myself cheating with save states was fighting those dang chimera's towards the end of the game, they were seriously dodging 8 times in a row and killing a few of my guys before i could even land a hit on one. it got so bad i just saved before every attack and reloaded if missed.

even the last boss fight was way more challenging then zeon. zeon you just send one member up at a time to fight him and i always found it to be really easy
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

abig84 wrote:i played on xbox on the sonics ultimate collection disc, only time i found myself cheating with save states was fighting those dang chimera's towards the end of the game, they were seriously dodging 8 times in a row and killing a few of my guys before i could even land a hit on one. it got so bad i just saved before every attack and reloaded if missed.
Don't feel too bad. Getting one's ass kicked by chimeras is normal. They're the reason why you want Anri or Domingo at the end of the game, and also why I find myself using the Chaos Breaker more often than performing standard attacks with Max at that time in the game.

One thing I learned much more recently however, which I plan on abusing if I ever get around to wrapping up my no promotion play through, is that enemies can't evade when they're sleeping. Makes Tao learning Sleep actually useful if it hits them, as opposed to dealing weakened Blaze damage.

Pingurules
That One Birdman
Shining Hero

Post by Pingurules »

very tiny update

For the past 10 months I've kinda stopped doing this until January.

I made archers able to use a small array of spells, and buffed them a bit, making them gimmick characters. Hopefully I can actually pull off gimmick characters without turning them into spoony bards.
I seperated the knights' abilities. One focuses on raw power, one on tanking physical attacks, one on tanking magic, one on speed, one on critical rate and Arthur.
The cap on promoted units is 50 instead of 99, but I'm pretty sure that'll only affect healers and their Aura spams.
Speaking of which, Gong can use higher levels of Aura. How high he can go, I won't reveal now.
I've been starting to script, removing the Jogurt Joins event since...well...

I'm trying to implement Vern in and replace Jogurt, but...

I can't draw to save my life... :(
(Using Balbaroy as a template, trying to make a "chipper" and "passionate" look with a wavy hairdo)

"Thanks so much for picking me! With our steel combined Darksol is done!"

Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Runesamurai »

Can you reupload this please? I really want to try it out just for fun.

Or can someone who has it please send me the ips patch?
cedric357

Post by cedric357 »

thx, i will give it a try :)
cedric357

Post by cedric357 »

downloading link down... If someone have it....